• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Shrove Tuesday (aka Pancake Day) in Australia, so I decided to have okonomiyaki for dinner, which is sometimes called a "Japanese pancake", so it's close enough for me. Washed it down with a homebrewed witbier:

IMG_20130212_183146.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Finally think I have the recipe I want to make the final version for our new business venture opening next month.

This dish is called khao mun gai in Thai which is their version of a Chinese dish called Hainan chicken (the different is in the sauces and how it's garnished).

Instead of cooking the whole chicken I separate the dark meat and white meat because they cook at different rates and take them out when they are each ready on their own time.

8466637575_f5a721c1ba_c.jpg

The sauce is a blend of pickled garlic, soybean paste, sweet soy sauce, sugar, salt, ginger, and serrano peppers.
8467732912_033492ee44_c.jpg

It's Shrove Tuesday (aka Pancake Day) in Australia, so I decided to have okonomiyaki for dinner, which is sometimes called a "Japanese pancake", so it's close enough for me. Washed it down with a homebrewed witbier:

IMG_20130212_183146.jpg

Pancake day over here in the UK, so I of course made myself some relatively funky pancakes (thanks ArsenicYellow for the recipe:)

IMG_20130212_184721.jpg

IMG_20130212_185121.jpg

IMG_20130212_194825.jpg

Silkworm

Finally think I have the recipe I want to make the final version for our new business venture opening next month.

This dish is called khao mun gai in Thai which is their version of a Chinese dish called Hainan chicken (the different is in the sauces and how it's garnished).

Instead of cooking the whole chicken I separate the dark meat and white meat because they cook at different rates and take them out when they are each ready on their own time.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8466637575_f5a721c1ba_c.jpg

The sauce is a blend of pickled garlic, soybean paste, sweet soy sauce, sugar, salt, ginger, and serrano peppers.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8379/8467732912_033492ee44_c.jpg
Oh that "looks" like simple fare but sounds delicious :) At first I didn't recognize the sauce that you added to the chicken. I was curious about the recipe so google'd it and saw that a bunch of examples have the sauce in a separate dish and thought perhaps you didn't include it but now it makes sense :-D One example used a Chinese winter gourd to accompany the main dish but a cucumber would be far more readily available and seems to be more often used in the recipes I came across. Sounds like a winner as far as a menu item goes :)

Talon

All the East Asian countries must have variations of that dish because I've totally had something like that at home before.

Just bought this:
IN-4.jpg

From JCK, 210mm Gyuto with wa handle. Felt like a good one to get my feet wet with the new handle type and sharpening too. Also recommended as the best budget buy by many around the interwebs.

I have had an urge to start a knife collection for a long time, might work on it now (not just kitchen knives). But I live in an apartment and I can't wall mount a magnetic strip to display them so need to find a display solution first!

thespot84

Just bought this:
IN-4.jpg

From JCK, 210mm Gyuto with wa handle. Felt like a good one to get my feet wet with the new handle type and sharpening too. Also recommended as the best budget buy by many around the interwebs.

I have had an urge to start a knife collection for a long time, might work on it now (not just kitchen knives). But I live in an apartment and I can't wall mount a magnetic strip to display them so need to find a display solution first!

http://www.chefdepot.net/kits2.htm

?

TheExodu5

Banned
Protip with Japanese knifes: don't use the tip to pry anything open. I just tried to cut a plastic cover off the top of a condiment bottle and I snapped a small chip off of the top of my Shun Elite chef knife. Very brittle knives. :( The upside is they stay really, really sharp even if you don't hone/sharpen them often. Night and day difference between my Wusthoff and Shun.

Today's lunch (and dinner) was garlic pork chops inspired by a foodwishes recipe. I don't like pork that much but my butcher sells pork chops that are among the richest, most beautiful meats I have ever had:

Wow, I've never seen a proper pork rib chop at the story. Jealous.

Yea, saw that on another forum too! Thanks, will look into it more tomorrow.

Protip with Japanese knifes: don't use the tip to pry anything open. I just tried to cut a plastic cover off the top of a condiment bottle and I snapped a small chip off of the top of my Shun Elite chef knife. Very brittle knives. :( The upside is they stay really, really sharp even if you don't hone/sharpen them often. Night and day difference between my Wusthoff and Shun.

Yup, my research had the chip warning with Japanese knives. I will keep my Wusthoff Santoku for those tasks!

You added oats though, from what it looks like. They're not in the linked recipe. Was that any good?
Added it for some extra fibre, and I don't know really.
I didn't try it without the oats, so I'm left with nothing to compare it with :p

It was tasty though, and held together excellently.

n0n44m

Made some pizza (what else really :p ) for the family on Monday ... 275C convection, 6 minutes

Margherita+Chevre - Salami - Half Quattro Formaggi Half Anchovies

-------------------------

had some dough left ... friend came over for lunch this afternoon, soooooo

mozz/gorgonzola/ham/parmesan on both

both 325C broiler, convection turned on when they entered the oven, 4~5 minutes

definitely (even) better tasting crust compared to Monday; 2 days of cold rise in fridge make a difference but so does the extra heat which gives a better char/texture !

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Clam chaudière chowder.

Not pictured is the oversalting. I might have to water it down with some milk later, I dunno.

Totally underestimated how much salt the clam juice added. At least that's where I assume it came from, I added less than a tbsp of salt myself.

Clam chaudière chowder.

Not pictured is the oversalting. I might have to water it down with some milk later, I dunno.

Totally underestimated how much salt the clam juice added. At least that's where I assume it came from, I added less than a tbsp of salt myself.

you can try adding some raw quartered potatoes. leave them in there for an hour or so and then take them out. they absorb salt.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
you can try adding some raw quartered potatoes. leave them in there for an hour or so and then take them out. they absorb salt.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that tomorrow.

Does the soup have to be warm for this to work or would it be fine to leave it in the refrigerator?

TheExodu5

Banned
I need to get over my aversion to seafood. I used to love it. Loved shrimp. Especially loved lobster. Then I had a bad lobster experience at Red Lobster a few years ago. Super stringy and briny lobster. Strike one. Mom overcooked some shrimp at home and they were awful. Strike two. Bought some scallops at a well reputed local seafood store and even though I cooked them well, they were super briny (from what I've learned, it sounds like they may have been 'wet' scallops). Unlike other foods, when seafood is bad, it's really gross. I now have an aversion to seafood because of a few bad experiences. Thoughts on getting over this?

Silkworm

I need to get over my aversion to seafood. I used to love it. Loved shrimp. Especially loved lobster. Then I had a bad lobster experience at Red Lobster a few years ago. Super stringy and briny lobster. Strike one. Mom overcooked some shrimp at home and they were awful. Strike two. Bought some scallops at a well reputed local seafood store and even though I cooked them well, they were super briny (from what I've learned, it sounds like they may have been 'wet' scallops). Unlike other foods, when seafood is bad, it's really gross. I now have an aversion to seafood because of a few bad experiences. Thoughts on getting over this?
You know there is a trick to "fixing" wet scallops. You brine them in 1/4 cup of cold water + 1/4 cup of lemon juice + 2 tblsp of salt for 30 min. This helps mask the off flavors of wet scallops. Also a quick trick to tell if they are wet or dry is to take one scallop and put it on a paper towel covered plate. Microwave it on high for 15 seconds and if it's dry you get very little water released from the scallop (small ring of water around the scallop) but if it's wet you get a large amount of water released (very large ring of water).

Anyway, maybe you should try some sort of safe recipe that uses something like tilapia. Or maybe you want to partially mask the seafood taste so maybe something like the chowder? Or maybe go out and eat some good sashimi and that should restore your faith in seafood :)

The last seafood recipe I made was back when I was visiting my parents in Florida where I can find all kinds of good seafood as opposed to where I live in Indiana. I made Spanish-Style Toasted Pasta with Shrimp and looked like this
268x201_CVR_SFS_spanish_style_toasted_pasta_shrimp_CLR-8.jpg
Served it with some lemon aioli and it was awesome :)

TheExodu5

Banned
You know there is a trick to "fixing" wet scallops. You brine them in 1/4 cup of cold water + 1/4 cup of lemon juice + 2 tblsp of salt for 30 min. This helps mask the off flavors of wet scallops. Also a quick trick to tell if they are wet or dry is to take one scallop and put it on a paper towel covered plate. Microwave it on high for 15 seconds and if it's dry you get very little water released from the scallop (small ring of water around the scallop) but if it's wet you get a large amount of water released (very large ring of water).

Anyway, maybe you should try some sort of safe recipe that uses something like tilapia. Or maybe you want to partially mask the seafood taste so maybe something like the chowder? Or maybe go out and eat some good sashimi and that should restore your faith in seafood :)

The last seafood recipe I made was back when I was visiting my parents in Florida where I can find all kinds of good seafood as opposed to where I live in Indiana. I made Spanish-Style Toasted Pasta with Shrimp and looked like this
268x201_CVR_SFS_spanish_style_toasted_pasta_shrimp_CLR-8.jpg
Served it with some lemon aioli and it was awesome :)

I guess I should have said shellfish. I love fish and sushi. Just don't like shrimp or lobster anymore. I guess I need to replace my bad experiences with good ones so I can stop associating shellfish with bad memories.

I guess I should have said shellfish. I love fish and sushi. Just don't like shrimp or lobster anymore. I guess I need to replace my bad experiences with good ones so I can stop associating shellfish with bad memories.
The only way (or at least easiest way) to get over something is to dive right in and try to find good experiences. Doesn't matter whether it's food or something else, you have to force yourself to push past that previous experience.

Just came back from a short vacation in Lisbon. Great city, and although the weather was somewhat cold(14-17C) it's still better compared to the snow crap we have in Denmark.

Although I haven't been baking myself all week, every day involved a visit to a famous pastry shop, pics ahoy!

lisbon1.jpg

lisbon2.jpg

lisbon3.jpg

lisbon4.jpg

lisbon5.jpg

lisbon6.jpg

lisbon7.jpg
lisbon8.jpg

I brought home some very tasty mango and passion fruits and I'm baking a cake right now, pics will come later :)

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! I finally got a set of Zwillings and can retire my 25 year old Russian knives XD

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
8477033404_2156797531_z.jpg

My new office is surrounded by flats and there's nothing within walking distance to go for lunch.... Except this one burger joint. Its seasonal burger came with sauerkraut, smoked and grilled bacon, mustardsauce and some relish. For €4 it was surprisingly well-crafted.

DJ_Lae

Well, I know what I'm cooking this weekend - 99 cents/pound for pork shoulder at Superstore this week.

Gonna stock up at that price, and stuff my face with pulled pork.

Zyzyxxz

Made fried pork trotters at work today, basically rillettes rolled into a log cut and deep fried.

Served with a fresno puree, arugula and apple salad.

8478710220_cb094b870c_b.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Made fried pork trotters at work today, basically rillettes rolled into a log cut and deep fried.

Love on a plate

I'm making something with pork belly now. It's doing a 10 minute stint in the pressure cooker before going in the oven at about 100C for the rest of the day. Half will go in the fridge being pressed, and the other half I'll probably keep in the oven and crank up the heat to get some nice crackling. The latter will be used in some type of twice cooked pork with rice, and we'll see what I'll do with the former.

edit: Before the pork went in I cooked up some stock in the pressure cooker with various stuff and pork seasoning powder. Also the first time I'm making pork belly as I've never had an oven until recently.

Looks really really appetizing, like with pretty much all of your creations.

Yesterday I made a

Chocolate cake with Mango and Passion Fruit curd
chocofruit1.jpg

chocofruit2.jpg

chocofruit3.jpg

chocofruit4.jpg

So although you can't really see it in any of the shots, but the chocolate cake was baked with pieces of mango in it, then using the remaining mango to decorate on top. The frosting is just whipped cream, so overall a pretty quick and easy cake to make.

Yes Boss!

My brother made some Pav Bhaji last week and inspired me to give it a go. Essentially a very intense vegetable curry. A whole variety of veggies are cooked together then lightly mashed and then made into a standard curry defined by ground fennel and dried mango and heavy citrus then finished with a bit of butter to bring it together. Some raw onion and lime juice folded in at the end in addition to the cooked onion at the beginning give it some nice texture. Very nice dish and served with a dinner roll style bread. Definitely going to make it again.

Veggies:

BC8891EF-E7DF-445A-BE93-9C7BFB4FE42B-722-00000091C3E0D145_zps77ec81aa.jpg

And the finished dish:

12BB2C33-DC81-4561-987E-D32B7E91D09D-722-00000091C888B21A_zps2e9ebbd1.jpg

That looks wonderful Boss! Oh man that makes me so hungry.

Eating Pav Bhaji on the streets of Mumbai and Surat with some raosted Papad was amazing.

So I ended up ordering a Nakiri since they were out of Gyutos, will be here next week. Going to work on my knife skills with it, even though I have come a long way in the last year (thanks to my company for giving us a nice bonus for last quarter!):

n0n44m

if you love onions you'll love this pizza!

my first attempt at a white pizza, so no tomato sauce :p

Made a caramelized-onion-cream-sauce by cooking caramelized onions with creme fraiche and blending them. Grounded black pepper, Mozzarella and thinly sliced onions on top, and some sliced shallot (because I forgot to buy scallions and leek...). Shaved Parmesan after cooking.

5 mins with the broiler turned on (aka inferno-mode) ... nice char !

2013-02-1620.34.36r2es7.jpg

it was great ... the creamy sauce and the soft onions blend perfectly :)

At last, new things!

wLIpBIT.jpg

Crumble: Sun Chips Sweet & Spicy BBQ About damn time they make more Sun Chips, blasted noise complainers mucking things up right after they launched. Nice little blend on these that comes through.

Cheese: Amadeus First Austrian cheese in a good while, and while it has absolutely nothing distinguishing about it, at the end of the day it just taste good, melts creamy, and has a bit of nice oil to it.

Silkworm

Yesterday I made a

Chocolate cake with Mango and Passion Fruit curd
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/chocofruit1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/chocofruit2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/chocofruit3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/chocofruit4.jpg

So although you can't really see it in any of the shots, but the chocolate cake was baked with pieces of mango in it, then using the remaining mango to decorate on top. The frosting is just whipped cream, so overall a pretty quick and easy cake to make.

Delicious looking as always! Just curious but how did you incorporate the mango into your cake? Is the mango simply pureed and then incorporated with the batter? Thanks!

Edit: Ooops! Nevermind. Reading comprehension obviously is not my strong suit. So you simply chopped the mango and put it into the cake. (and used the remaining to decorate the top of the cake) Were the pieces of mango cut small? I was thinking it might mess up the texture of the cake if there are big chunks of mango but perhaps it becomes even softer with the baking such that that isn't an issue. *shrug*

thespot84

Another month, another dinner party with friends. This time I was in charge of the appetizer, and the theme was 'this day in history'. So, naturally, I picked Kim Jong Il's birthday:

Korean bbq flap steak on lettuce with apples and mangos paired with japanese shochu (couldn't find korean). I don't know the first thing about korean food, only that I like it, and this came out pretty good:

tumblr_micd4fb95C1s4zz33o1_1280.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Sorry for the late reply!

It's not exactely the recipe I used but it's close enough. :p

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/french-bread/

I added 1 cup of cranberries and 1 cup of chocolate chips. The hardest part is kneading(?) the dough. I still need a lot of practice but I'm confident I'll get better the more bread I make.

Thanks a lot.

When would I add the cranberries and chocolate? Sprinkle on when in the flat rectangle before rolling up in stage 3 of recipe?

Also, dried cranberries, frozen or fresh?

Delicious looking as always! Just curious but how did you incorporate the mango into your cake? Is the mango simply pureed and then incorporated with the batter? Thanks!

Edit: Ooops! Nevermind. Reading comprehension obviously is not my strong suit. So you simply chopped the mango and put it into the cake. (and used the remaining to decorate the top of the cake) Were the pieces of mango cut small? I was thinking it might mess up the texture of the cake if there are big chunks of mango but perhaps it becomes even softer with the baking such that that isn't an issue. *shrug*
Heh, I had no idea how it would turn out, but it didn't affect the cake in anyway. The mango pieces were chopped fairly small, no bigger than the blackberries you see on top of the cake. I used 2/3 of the mango inside the cake and the last third for decoration, but I think the while mango could have been used inside.

Razorwind

About to replace my 10 yr plus convection oven....wiring is a bit screwed and the heat distribution isn't fantastic.

Any recommendations for a counter top oven?

will be using it for (in descending order of frequency)

Monthly attempts to make edible macaroons
Monthly Baking of scones and muffins cupcakes
Occasional oven roast pork (chinese style using just the belly)
Yearly festive baking of almonds and cashews

Functions I definitely don't need:
Microwave

I can only talk from my experience with a Panasonic convection microwave. It does the job, but it seems to have hot spots, so I don't know how suited it would be for macaroons etc.

Wife who knows her stuff with baking prefers the cheap shitty oven to the convection one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom