• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good to hear, got the DVR on the job and hope to watch it sometime Monday---info blurb mentioned BBQ in a Mason Jar, so my expectations were already a bit tingled.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
So Justin Warner's new show on Food Network (Rebel Eats) premiered tonight, and I've gotta say Food Network may finally have something good on their hands again. I really like the production method, and Warner is one hell of a funny personality.

Hmm, sounds interesting. Will have to check it out.

Post your fridge...if you dare. This is mine. Pretty mellow. Freezer has nothing in it and is completely empty.

ECEB196C-347B-47D0-90CB-E943069E25C8-9819-00000B5C7D55C442.jpg

I see you put Sriracha in your fridge. I've always been curious as to if that is something that needs to be done or not. I put mine in a diner style ketchup bottle (since the actual bottle starts leaking as soon as I open it) and then just keep that in my cabinet.

Zyzyxxz

One of the first items on our menu at Sticky Rice (inside the Grand Central Market, Downtown Los Angeles), it's Thai BBQ chicken (sous vide, then grilled) with green papaya salad and sticky rice. If you guys are in LA swing by!

8606225717_b7a2ccc8c1_c.jpg

Post your fridge...if you dare. This is mine. Pretty mellow. Freezer has nothing in it and is completely empty.

ECEB196C-347B-47D0-90CB-E943069E25C8-9819-00000B5C7D55C442.jpg

That's a pretty clean and organized fridge! I don't think I put siracha in the fridge either, but since I don't have any right now, can't verify. I'm pretty sure we just left it out. If something is tough enough to live in hotsauce, it probably deserves to live, haha.

I'd puts a pic of our fridge, but I'm embarrassed by the number condiment jars and leftover to-go containers there are.

Zoe

I see you put Sriracha in your fridge. I've always been curious as to if that is something that needs to be done or not. I put mine in a diner style ketchup bottle (since the actual bottle starts leaking as soon as I open it) and then just keep that in my cabinet.

That's a pretty clean and organized fridge! I don't think I put siracha in the fridge either, but since I don't have any right now, can't verify. I'm pretty sure we just left it out. If something is tough enough to live in hotsauce, it probably deserves to live, haha.

I'd puts a pic of our fridge, but I'm embarrassed by the number condiment jars and leftover to-go containers there are.

We don't put Sriracha in the fridge either, but the past couple of bottles turned dark and would randomly leak oil... Maybe we just need to use it more :lol

EASTER FOOD!

Gotta have deviled eggs
img3265fg.jpg

Made lamb
img3258km.jpg

img3259w.jpg

img3270jn.jpg

And my sister doesn't like lamb so I also made duck
img3264l.jpg

img3266c.jpg

img3267ik.jpg

And yes everything is pretty well done...etiolate and my sister freak out over any bit of pink. :p

Yes Boss!

Yeah,

I've got a bottle on the outside cabinet with tons of other vinegar-based hot sauces. The one in the fridge is because I use that bottle for turkey sandwiches and tend to like the siracha, mayo and dijon chilled as I spread it on the bread.

Also, since Kerrygold was mentioned earlier I saw this one at my commissary. For $4 it was worth a shot:

58FB85DE-E784-40E3-8F1D-A32FC8B3ECAF-10524-00000C203C8C26F3.jpg

Hah I was gonna say something as well. I just leave it on the counter. It does start to get darker in color after a while.

Looks amazing, what is around the outside? Homemade tortilla chips?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hah I was gonna say something as well. I just leave it on the counter. It does start to get darker in color after a while.

Looks amazing, what is around the outside? Homemade tortilla chips?
Yeah I put them on the cast iron pan for a while after I seared the flank steak on 4 minutes on each side.

beat

Went on a dry curing spree today.

Salting duck breast for prosciutto
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8233/8568212908_bb39a790b9_c.jpg[IMG]

Pork belly for pancetta to be cured for a week before air curing stage.
[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8245/8567113765_51c05b3662_c.jpg[IMG]

Beef eye of round for bresola after curing in fridge for 2 weeks, will be air cured for 3 weeks.
[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8111/8567114045_3013a28baa_c.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I love dry cured meats! I never think to do it during cooler weather though, so I end up air curing in my fridge. It works out OK.

I had this x2 for lunch:

Technically, I didn't cook anything. Just mashed up some avocado with lemon, salt, pepper, and chili pepper. Put that on top of toast and then plopped on some TJ's artichoke and red pepper spread and added an anchovy. For my second piece, I left out the anchovy and it was just as good!

Had to kill some cream and eggs that were soon to be over due, so I made a whole lot of desserts:

First we have a Trifle and chocolate mousse. The trifle is made out of a custard which is equal amount of cream and yoghurt(of any flavour you prefer) with some sugar added for taste and whatever fruit I had in my kitchen(oranges, plums and pineapple) dividing layers with crushed old-fashioned macarons

The chocolate mousse is a chocolate bar based mousse. The recipe that I followed called for Mars bars but my local supermarket didn't have any so I just used my personal favorite choco bar instead. Great mousse with a rich taste
moussetrifle1.jpg

moussetrifle2.jpg

moussetrifle3.jpg

I also made one of my favorite cakes, which is a raspberry mousse cake with a chocolate cake bottom and raspberry jelly on top, this time adding black currants, because why not?
raspmoussecake1.jpg

raspmoussecake2.jpg

Milchjon

I just mashed some red curry paste, soy sauce, and some chopped chilis and cilantro in my ground meat for a burger.

It was awesome. No condiment needed, just a bun and a patty.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
And now we know what industry OnkelC lobbies for: dairy.

hey, the Philadelphias were on offer that saturday :( 79 cents each container.
And since we basically do grocery shopping for cooking every night, dairy is the only thing we stack up on.

I could live without meat, but not a single day without dairy!

So today I went to Uchi (Austin, TX) for the first time, and the Machi Cure may well be the most delicious thing on the whole damned planet.

Nice! I was thinking of going this weekend, but made reservations at Uchiko instead. Curious if I should try Uchi as well, or if Uchiko is enough.

Believe the hype about Uchi. Wow.

As for Uchiko, I haven't been there and I notice some dishes (like Hamachi Cure and Kakiage, perhaps the best dishes I had) aren't on the menu.

Uchiko is way more southeast Asian-influenced however, thanks to Paul Qui's mad experiments. It's not quite the same as Uchi proper, but still supposedly a great experience.

On a sushi note: I would say the sushi up at Musashino on Mopac and Anderson is probably superior to Uchi's, on a strict makimono and nigiri level. Uchi's special fish they fly in makes it worth it, however. I got to try masaba, hagatsuo, and kohada, all of which are pretty much Japan Sea-only fish. Kohada (gizzard shad) in particular was what convinced me to go on that day, since nobody else really carries it, and it's one of the most traditional and popular sushi toppings in Japan. I've gotta say, it was really a good fish.

I only wish I had remembered to take a photo of the kohada before I gobbled it up. XD

Just had the best lunch ever! I can't believe I'd forgotten how great bacon-wrapped asparagus taste. Served together with pita bread filled with sliced carrot and squash fried in bacon fat.

lunch.jpg

Last night we had fresh pasta and my gf's tried and tested meatsauce. Pretty standard meal, but the fun part was that the pasta was dyed in squid ink, making them jet black in color.

dinner.jpg

n0n44m

had a go at making my own garlic bread, tasted great !

should've proofed it longer but I was in a bit of a hurry, so it is rather dense

I just made baguette dough which I stuffed with caramelized garlic cloves & caramelized onion

made for a nice side dish to my pasta bolognese :)

So last night I made some aioli for burgers using hellmans mayo (I know should have made my own) how long will this stuff keep in my fridge?

CrankyJay

Banned
Gah, wish I took pics...been a little bored with the USDA choice strip steaks I've been buying so I decided to do a six hour marinade in teriyaki, light soy, worchestershire, rice vinegar, ginger, onion and garlic and quick sear it and finish it off in the oven.

I wiped off excess marinade before putting it in the pan, but it seems I didn't cut the teriyaki enough as the steak got crusted quickly (looked burnt but it wasn't) from the sugars. Next time I do this I might rinse it then pat it dry.

Got damn. Was delicious. The fat melted wonderfully too...not sure if that was the added salts in the fat or the heat in the pan. I ate everything. Nothing was tough.

so i bought some of this:

ZCyPzsB.jpg

and some 00 flour to try a few pizza dough recipes. now i have to go find some recipes.

few quick yeast questions:

do I use this the same way as any other dry yeast?
can i use it right from the freezer?
how long would it last in the freezer? years?

n0n44m

so i bought some of this:

and some 00 flour to try a few pizza dough recipes. now i have to go find some recipes.

few quick yeast questions:

do I use this the same way as any other dry yeast?
can i use it right from the freezer?
how long would it last in the freezer? years?

holy shit 454g ? I can only find these shitty 3*7g packages here lol

found this site http://www.breadtopia.com/store/saf-instant-yeast.html which says you should store it in the freezer in an airtight container

this is my current go-to recipe :)

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
A strict diet and lots of travel kept me from cooking extravagance for a while, but back on the wagon today with the girlfriend back in town - red velvet pancake stack with fresh strawberries and vanilla cream.

holy shit 454g ? I can only find these shitty 3*7g packages here lol

found this site http://www.breadtopia.com/store/saf-instant-yeast.html which says you should store it in the freezer in an airtight container

this is my current go-to recipe :)
thanks, i'll give that recipe a shot. trying to find a good recipe that doesn't needs more than a day of rising time.

i think this yeast can be added to the dry ingredients without mixing with water first.

n0n44m

i think this yeast can be added to the dry ingredients without mixing with water first.

yup that's why it is "instant" ;)

thanks, i'll give that recipe a shot. trying to find a good recipe that doesn't needs more than a day of rising time.

The reason why a lot of recipes call for such long rising times, is because it creates both strength and taste due to the different activity of the yeast at different temperatures.

The general advice with those recipes is to prepare a batch of dough in advance, and freeze the balls in zip-lock bags in case you want to use them later on.

BUT for most recipes which involve kneading by hand or with a mixer, the long rising time only influences taste and not the structure/strength, so you can use those after an hour or two of rising at slightly higher than room temperature (e.g. oven with lights on)

you can use this recipe and skip on the fridge part for example http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza.html

n0n44m

You can store dough up to 5 days in the fridge, after that the yeast will have died. The taste will be more fermented with each day, some people might think it starts to taste too much like beer after more than 3 days ...

In case of freezing, I'd say you freeze dough as soon as you're done kneading it, or after an hour or two of rising at room temperature. Freezing will kill a bit of the yeast, but there should be plenty left that becomes active again after defrosting. It is then probably fine for a couple of weeks I guess ? Just take out the balls ~3 hours before baking --> 1.5 hours for defrosting, 1.5 hours for rising ...

As my recipe has only a little yeast in it, the author of the book I got it from says it shouldn't be frozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom