• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Hmm, I was never big on fruit in salad but I could give it a shot. Might need some meat though, it needs to be a solid calorie bump (and protein).
Add some shredded chicken or chunks of a chicken breast in there.

Don't overthink it. I just throw together what I happen to have lying around for any salad. Dressings are easy to make on the fly.

1. Acid (lemon juice, vinegar)
2. Oil
3. Flavoring (could be mustard, soy sauce, honey or, hell, bacon fat)
4. Seasoning (basil, oregano, just salt/pepper)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Add some shredded chicken or chunks of a chicken breast in there.

Don't overthink it. I just throw together what I happen to have lying around for any salad. Dressings are easy to make on the fly.

1. Acid (lemon juice, vinegar)
2. Oil
3. Flavoring (could be mustard, soy sauce, honey or, hell, bacon fat)
4. Seasoning (basil, oregano, just salt/pepper)

Yep, I have the dressing down. Today I made one with olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, Sriracha, and salt/pepper.

Pepto

Banned
Made some bread:

8554242077_9acbfcb623.jpg

Made some bread:

8554242077_9acbfcb623.jpg
That bread looks really great! I'm gonna bake bread this weekend as well, looking forward to it.

Made Café Crème Mousse Cake today

coffeemoussecake1.jpg

coffeemoussecake2.jpg

recipe

Creamy coffee mouse layered with ladyfingers, coated with whipped cream and sugar and powdered with cinnamon. The creamy ended up being too runny which resulted in several difficulties, such as the ladyfingers floating above the cream and the core collapsing when served in room temp (as you can see in the pic). Still it tasted really nice and now I'm worried how the heck I'm gonna end this cake since me and my gf only ate 1/4 of it tonight and I got another cake at half size in the fridge as well...

Hmm....looks like the sort of thing that would take on some interesting texture after some time in the freezer---so the answer is to eat all of it, eventually~

Yes Boss!

You can use the red pepper paste in fried rice. Put a tablespoon of that in oil and let it break up a little. Then dump in the rice and other ingredients and fry. Top with sliced green onion.

It's also good mixed with sesame oil and drizzled over cold noodles.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't have any of my woks right now so fried rice mide be a challenge. But I think I can at least pull of flashing it in hot oil then perhaps mixing it. I did get to put a half spoonful into a ramen and it ramped it up quite nice (put it in with the water as I brought it to a boil).

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't have any of my woks right now so fried rice mide be a challenge. But I think I can at least pull of flashing it in hot oil then perhaps mixing it. I did get to put a half spoonful into a ramen and it ramped it up quite nice (put it in with the water as I brought it to a boil).

Oh yeah, you can also use the hot paste + sesame oil mixture for vegetable dip. I like dipping cucumber sticks in it. If you're feeling less lazy, you can make ssam.

I made a vegan version, but I'm assuming it'll be just as easy to do w/ pork belly or thinly sliced beef.

For the vegan version, slice tofu into 1/3 inch thick squares and dry on a paper towel. Dip both sides in rice flour or corn starch and pan-fry on each side till golden. Put one tofu piece on a leaf of lettuce, smear the paste+sesame oil mixture on top, wrap, and eat.

Visuals here: http://www.runawaysquirrels.com/2012/02/gourmet-and-vegetarian-korean-food/

I made a massaged kale salad for dinner:

I was afraid just salad wouldn't be filling enough for dinner so I went a little overboard with mix-ins: pistachio, chopped dates, chopped tempeh bacon, sliced kumquats, sliced carrots, and mashed avocado. The dressing was chopped meyer lemon, olive oil, juice of half a meyer lemon, salt, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.

Yes Boss!

Brother has been in India for the last few weeks. He was in Goa so I felt inspired to make a Goan Lamb Vindaloo. Very nice and made just with dried peppers. No veggies other than the roots and garlic and onion and the multiple dried peppers. Filled out with coconut milk for body. Nice vinegar to flavor it all prior to cooking.

6DEBCF40-1919-49F4-8221-89FF7648C5B4-3597-000003FF439B51DF.jpg

Brother has been in India for the last few weeks. He was in Goa so I felt inspired to make a Goan Lamb Vindaloo. Very nice and made just with dried peppers. No veggies other than the roots and garlic and onion and the multiple dried peppers. Filled out with coconut milk for body. Nice vinegar to flavor it all prior to cooking.

6DEBCF40-1919-49F4-8221-89FF7648C5B4-3597-000003FF439B51DF.jpg

Looks great! Finally a proper Vindaloo dish (no potatoes!). Although I like the potato variant too.

Zyzyxxz

Working on something new for the menu, oxtial cottage pie (I call it a shepherd's pie on menu since most people don't know what cottage pie is and I dont want to explain it for ignorant Americans). I'll have a shot of the cross section maybe next week when we put the final version on the menu. Right now it's braised oxtail, super buttery potatoes, gruyere and breadcrumb mixture.

8560884979_7edafc5911_c.jpg

Oh my you have me drooling just on the thought of oxtail cottage pie...

Great picture, looks awesome!

Last week was a hard busy workweek, so last night me and gf treated ourselves with a dinner better than usual:

Veal rump, oven roasted potatoes with olive oil and rosemary, baby leaves salad with chickpeas and cherry tomatoes, served with bearnaisesauce.
dinner1.jpg

dinner2.jpg

Just had leftovers where the potatoes were even better.

vQzdwiB.jpg

Only relative newcomer being the cheese: Rocinante Raw Milk Queso Manchego Rather similar to the nondescript Manchego I first had ages ago---melts funny, get a bit oily, and has a nicely sweet taste.

Tuvoc

Got together with fellow gaffer Coin Return tonight at made some Baja fish tacos made from a beer battered and fried Sole, topped with a cabbage slaw, avocado, and pineapple salsa. With refried beans, cilantro-lime rice, and cactus salad. It was awesome.
fiesta.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
Working on something new for the menu, oxtial cottage pie (I call it a shepherd's pie on menu since most people don't know what cottage pie is and I dont want to explain it for ignorant Americans). I'll have a shot of the cross section maybe next week when we put the final version on the menu. Right now it's braised oxtail, super buttery potatoes, gruyere and breadcrumb mixture.

8560884979_7edafc5911_c.jpg

Oh my god.

Working on something new for the menu, oxtial cottage pie (I call it a shepherd's pie on menu since most people don't know what cottage pie is and I dont want to explain it for ignorant Americans).
You could try calling it a "potato-topped pie"? An old boss of mine referred to any pie with potato that wasn't lamb-filled in this way. He and I are both Australian, and in Australia though...

TheExodu5

Banned
So...what's different between braising and stewing? Looking at a bunch of recipes, they appear to be pretty much the same thing, with the exception that you cut your carrots thicker for stewing and add potatoes near the end of cooking. Is there more to it than that, or are they essentially the same preparation with slightly different results.

Miniature Watermelon jelly slices

miniaturemelon1.jpg

miniaturemelon2.jpg

Strawberry puree made into jelly in lime rinds, sprinkled with black sesame. That was fun to make and eat, and I could imagine an adult version with vodka would be perfect for summer party. Also now I want to make other kind of miniature imitation pieces, coconut made out of dark chocolate and white coconut cream?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
that's a cool idea! thanks for sharing.

made a base cake dough yesterday and turned one half into a lemon cake, the other half into a chocolate cake:
image.jpg

as you can see, the glazing of the chocolate cake included an exploding glaze can ;)

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~---- (March)

Calzone pizza by VanWinkle

calzone1.jpg

calzone2.jpg

Wow that's the best pizza I've ever made! Thanks a lot to VanWinkle for the inspiration and recipe. That dough is simply incredible, I'm already looking forward to make garlic bread and other stuff with it. When I took the calzones out of the oven my gf said that I can spend as much time as I want on neogaf from now on :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
That's an intersting looking Calzone indeed.

Made Mac and Cheese with breaded chicken strips and a cucumber salad for dinner:
image.jpg

C-c-c-c-c-combo-CrankyJay-breaker :p

Making those lime/watermelons required 5 lime rinds. Throwing out the juice from 5 limes would be ridiculous, so I made two lime pies. Had the first (quarter) for dessert.

morelimepie1.jpg

morelimepie2.jpg

Apparently (according to google image search) the best way to make your stew look appetizing is to add something fresh and green: Rosemary, parsley, basil etc.

Though this picture looks nice as well

beef-stew-recipe[1].jpg

jet1911

Anyone ever make cretons? It's a delicious meat spread from Quebec made out of pork and/or veal, and onions.

Going to try making some this week. Bought some ground pork and ground veal. Not sure what else I should be putting in it...maybe some gelatin/pectin to hold it together a bit. I don't think ground pork and veal have enough collagen to hold it together.

I put bacon in mine and I mostly use ground pork. I add some mixed spices, onions and onion powder. Blend everything togheter when it's cooked and boom, cretons!

EDIT: Voted for you MetroidKiller!

CrankyJay

Banned
Apparently (according to google image search) the best way to make your stew look appetizing is to add something fresh and green: Rosemary, parsley, basil etc.

Though this picture looks nice as well

beef-stew-recipe[1].jpg

I'm stirring in peas after removing it from the oven...I hope that will do. Then I'll go for a natural light shot in a white bowl.

edit: Here we go...Guinness beef stew made in my dutch oven

G8cGMJQ.jpg

hRLR9wA.jpg

VanWinkle

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~---- (March)

Calzone pizza by VanWinkle

calzone1.jpg

calzone2.jpg

Wow that's the best pizza I've ever made! Thanks a lot to VanWinkle for the inspiration and recipe. That dough is simply incredible, I'm already looking forward to make garlic bread and other stuff with it. When I took the calzones out of the oven my gf said that I can spend as much time as I want on neogaf from now on :D

Looks great, man! You did a very good job, as usual with your stuff. That dough definitely is awesome. I highly recommend giving it an overnight cold rise in the fridge, too. Makes it even better!

Guinness beef stew made in my dutch oven

hRLR9wA.jpg
That looks very great, great picture :)

Looks great, man! You did a very good job, as usual with your stuff. That dough definitely is awesome. I highly recommend giving it an overnight cold rise in the fridge, too. Makes it even better!
Ok will do that the next time which can be too far away.

Cute! The coconut idea would work great if you used shredded chocolate for the outside and haupia (this coconut custard/jelly thing) for the inside.
Ok this is defintely a thing now! I've been pondering about how to make desserts imitating sushi looks, but the best results I've run into are just fondant, but this could be awesome!

Zyzyxxz

Went on a dry curing spree today.

Salting duck breast for prosciutto
8568212908_bb39a790b9_c.jpg

Pork belly for pancetta to be cured for a week before air curing stage.
8567113765_51c05b3662_c.jpg

Beef eye of round for bresola after curing in fridge for 2 weeks, will be air cured for 3 weeks.
8567114045_3013a28baa_c.jpg

CRS

This looks great, and we're approaching that season in Australia.

I love a good lamb stew or beef stew, but the wife can't stomach red meat. Going to have to try and devise something meaty but without chunks of beef. Any suggestions on where to begin?

Eggplant?

Tried making my own pizza dough and pizza tonight, I cooked it at 550 for 6-7 minutes. All things considered I think it turned out pretty good. It's way better than any of the pizza places near me. I still need to figure out how to get the good bubbles in the crust after its done and how to spread the dough easier. It took about 15 minutes to get it to stay in the shape I was aiming for.

And before you ask. Yep, the bandaid on my thumb is from me burning myself taking the tray out of the oven, luckily it fried instantly and didn't hurt. I didn't have a pizza stone so I used a cookie sheet upside down.

Someone stole a piece before I could take a picture.
dZehaew.jpg

The bubbles dont seem to be there. Maybe I need to make the crust a little thicker to get them.
8oKWY3n.jpg

Bottom was a little burnt but it still tasted great!
LgxnNwM.jpg

Defyler

Decided to attempt Chicago style pizza. Went looking around online for a Lou malnati's / Giordanos clone having been to both places in the past. Eventually ended up with using a hybrid of America's test kitchen recipe with a few other recipe suggestions added.

ygLawJN.jpg

Roughly 3/4 pounds of whole milk mozzarella in each pie with a half pound of italian sausage from the local butcher.

toioE68.jpg

Lots of fresh basil into the minimally cooked sauce and finished with pecorino romano and parmesan reggiano
3oNC0Wl.jpg

After 35 minutes in the oven
RHBga6y.jpg

Money shot of justice. Was absolutely delicious and will be doing again in the future :)
BrRbNCP.jpg

VanWinkle

Tried making my own pizza dough and pizza tonight, I cooked it at 550 for 6-7 minutes. All things considered I think it turned out pretty good. It's way better than any of the pizza places near me. I still need to figure out how to get the good bubbles in the crust after its done and how to spread the dough easier. It took about 15 minutes to get it to stay in the shape I was aiming for.

And before you ask. Yep, the bandaid on my thumb is from me burning myself taking the tray out of the oven, luckily it fried instantly and didn't hurt. I didn't have a pizza stone so I used a cookie sheet upside down.

Looks nice! Make sure to let the dough rise in the fridge at least overnight. It will allow more airy crust. Also, you didn't use a roller did you? Not saying you did, but that's definitely one thing that will pretty much guarantee your crust doesn't come out airy. About the bottom crust being a lot darker than the top, where was the rack positioned in the oven, and did you use convection or broil?

Decided to attempt Chicago style pizza. Went looking around online for a Lou malnati's / Giordanos clone having been to both places in the past. Eventually ended up with using a hybrid of America's test kitchen recipe with a few other recipe suggestions added.

http://i.imgur.com/ygLawJN.jpg[/IMG

Roughly 3/4 pounds of whole milk mozzarella in each pie with a half pound of italian sausage from the local butcher.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/toioE68.jpg[/IMG

Lots of fresh basil into the minimally cooked sauce and finished with pecorino romano and parmesan reggiano
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3oNC0Wl.jpg[/IMG

After 35 minutes in the oven
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RHBga6y.jpg[/IMG

Money shot of justice. Was absolutely delicious and will be doing again in the future :)
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BrRbNCP.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Nice! I haven't tried deep dish before but I would certainly eat that! I'll have to try making one soon.

n0n44m

hmmm now I want to try deep dish sometime :p

had a friend over, so I made some pizzas for lunch

bit wet because of all the Chorizo sausage ;)

also if you want your dough to be really airy, make sure to handle it like a newborn ;)

Divide the dough into balls, let them sit on a floured surface for about an hour (covered) before gently (!) stretching them out into pizzas.

Letting it sit overnight in the fridge is fine (two or three days also produces an interesting taste!), but take it out ~3 hours before baking.

Looks nice! Make sure to let the dough rise in the fridge at least overnight. It will allow more airy crust. Also, you didn't use a roller did you? Not saying you did, but that's definitely one thing that will pretty much guarantee your crust doesn't come out airy. About the bottom crust being a lot darker than the top, where was the rack positioned in the oven, and did you use convection or broil?

It was a conventional oven, with an electric heating element on the bottom and top. I didn't use broil, should I do that? The recipe I followed didn't say that so I didn't even think of it.

Also, I did use a roller. The Pizza dough was really stretchy (is that the word?) I would try and use my hands to spin it out but it wouldn't flatten out any. I literally had to push all my bodyweight on the roller to make it stay in shape.

VanWinkle

It was a conventional oven, with an electric heating element on the bottom and top. I didn't use broil, should I do that? The recipe I followed didn't say that so I didn't even think of it.

Also, I did use a roller. The Pizza dough was really stretchy (is that the word?) I would try and use my hands to spin it out but it wouldn't flatten out any. I literally had to push all my bodyweight on the roller to make it stay in shape.

No you don't really need to use broil. Some people do. I don't personally. But, yeah, the roller is probably the main reason for the lack of airiness in the crust. Really gotta hand stretch the dough while keeping the outer rim as untouched as possible while stretching. If that's tough to do, letting it rise overnight in the fridge and then leaving it out on a floured surface covered for about an hour at room temperature should aleviate that problem.

n0n44m

I've outlined my method here , but it is quite dependent on having a pizza/bread stone or a steel plate. My baking time never exceeds 5 minutes, thanks to the intense heat from the broiler and the plate...

The no-knead recipe I'm using these days gives wonderful dough that beautifully stretches without tearing or shrinking, which means I can shape it within 15 seconds :)

I had the same issue you describe before when using different recipes, but I was also using some expensive (organic) flour ... once I switched to this recipe above using the cheapest of the cheapest generic flour all my problems disappeared ---> I could fill pages here with talk about dough recipes, but I'm just a hobbyist myself so I don't properly understand all the biological and chemical processes involved. What it boils down to is gluten, and if your dough is too prone to tearing and/or doesn't stretch easily it is probably lacking in gluten.

The easiest things to try with the same recipe you're using know are (1) more kneading (2) more water, though that will give you a stickier dough (3) different type of flour, with a better (higher) proteine content

For 1 you could just knead longer, but you can also try a food processor for small (!) batches as it has a lot more power. For 2, calculate your water % by dividing the amount of water by the amount of flour. My go-to recipe is 70% hydrated, which is quite a lot ... use well floured surfaces and hands ! Another advantage is that more hydration means the bottom won't burn as quickly. As for 3, like I said I get great results with this cheap flour I'm using nowadays. The "premium" organic flour that costs 5 times as much turned out to be pretty terrible, and I can only assume it is due to the low protein content in the flour (neither package actually lists the content sadly). Protein helps gluten develop by the way ;)

Once your dough has all these gluten, it will also retain the air much better inside and puff up a lot more when baking, so it will probably solve all your issues :p good luck experimenting !

Also you can of course try out a different recipe ;) the one VanWinkle posted earlier is probably very easy to work with

speaking of dough, any UK / EU (Iron)GAFfer saw that "Paul Hollywood's Bread" program on BBC (HD) on Monday ? I recorded it, had some damn fine looking bread in it, basically just food porn :p ... think I'll try out the simple recipe this weekend :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom