• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Homemade (duh) buttermilk biscuits with breakfast earlier.

IMG_0207_zps29323886.jpg

Those scallops look especially delicious, SPEA!

Those carrot cupcakes look beyond amazing.
Thanks! I'll make sure to write down the recipe if I remember tomorrow. It's easy and quick to make, but it's defintely the best carrot cake I've encountered

Seared scallops with a butter, almond, and grape sauce.

IniehiP.png
Shit, that looks amazing!

Made Pizza for dinner. Had the dough cold rising overnight, which I'm sure had a positive effect, but it was kinda hard to compare when I made a calzone the last time. Nevertheless the dough is awesome and I'm gonna stick with it

Garlic bread, with garclic and butter spread out, mozzarella and parmezan on top and sprinkled with oregano.
The bread had these two huuuge air holes which made it look hilarious, but it was gooood.
pizza1.jpg

Mozzarella, cherry tomatos, spring and shallot onions and serrano ham and baby spinach
pizza2.jpg

Oh and while we are at it I might as well post last night's dinner since I bothered to take the photo.

Steak Udon
steakudon.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Is there farmed sturgeon? Because most types of sturgeon are endangered (over 85% of sturgeon species are classified as at risk of extinction if Wikipedia is to believed).

There is farmed sturgeon, yes, although this particular one was line-caught in the Columbia River by a friend. No worries.

Some great looking foods everybody--especially the pizza!

yPhOl0j.jpg

Cheese: Cahill's Irish Porter Cheddar My latest in the wonderful world of spirits infused things, this time my first ever encounter with Porter in any form. Aside from looking like some kinda badass tiling when melted, it does in fact melt quite well as is common with cheddars, has some nice oil to it, smells earthy, and finishes out with a refreshing sort of sweetness that is all to uncommon.

I've also locally found that Kerry Gold Swiss, and have it firmly on my to do list as well as the Fun Times of a local'ish proper cheese outfit now having their wares available at my beloved local bakery's new location at $10 a whack---gonna do some serious damage to them as quickly as I can, at least the ones new to me in general!

http://www.flatcreeklodge.com/farmstead-cheeses-and-farm-products

TheExodu5

Banned
Some great looking foods everybody--especially the pizza!

yPhOl0j.jpg

Cheese: Cahill's Irish Porter Cheddar My latest in the wonderful world of spirits infused things, this time my first ever encounter with Porter in any form. Aside from looking like some kinda badass tiling when melted, it does in fact melt quite well as is common with cheddars, has some nice oil to it, smells earthy, and finishes out with a refreshing sort of sweetness that is all to uncommon.

I've also locally found that Kerry Gold Swiss, and have it firmly on my to do list as well as the Fun Times of a local'ish proper cheese outfit now having their wares available at my beloved local bakery's new location at $10 a whack---gonna do some serious damage to them as quickly as I can, at least the ones new to me in general!

http://www.flatcreeklodge.com/farmstead-cheeses-and-farm-products

That cheese looks a lot like a Guiness cheddar that I bought around here. It was delicious.

Zyzyxxz

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~---- (April)

Lotus Root Chips by Zyzyxxz

lotusrootchips.jpg

First time ever tasting lotus root. I defintely enjoyed it, but I also think that it's an acquired taste and that I will be all over them the next time I make them. I couldn't find the exact kind of furikake(the seaweed condiment) that I wanted for the dish, so I made my own as well. Will defintely make this again another time, perhaps including it in the main course, just 3-4 chipsnext to the meat and salad etc.

Just a tip they looked like they fried unevenly so make sure you keep them separated during the frying process. Also did you use wet packed lotus roots? They tend to suck for frying. The best ones are fresh ones with white flesh not pink, you can tell by scratching the skin off and seeing what color it is.

The asian store had a jar of pickled lotus roots which were already sliced in thin slices, as well as a large bag of frozen lotus root, but no fresh lotus root. I opted for the jar to save time.
I also didn't deep fry them, but fried them on frying pan instead which perhaps gave them unevenly heat, I did seperate them though.

Zyzyxxz

The asian store had a jar of pickled lotus roots which were already sliced in thin slices, as well as a large bag of frozen lotus root, but no fresh lotus root. I opted for the jar to save time.
I also didn't deep fry them, but fried them on frying pan instead which perhaps gave them unevenly heat, I did seperate them though.

frozen probably would have been better, pickled stuff and deep frying are a bit iffy sometimes.

TheExodu5

Banned
Making some mac & cheese today for a potluck. Since I'll be reheating it over there, any reheating advice I should follow? Maybe throw on the breadcrumbs and cheese only when I'm reheating it?

TheExodu5

Banned
Reheating how? Via an oven? Or like in a crockpot?

Reheating in an oven. Anyways, I have it all ready. The mac and cheese is mixed in with the sauce in a casserole dish. I topped it with a bit more cheese and buttered breadcrumbs and I'll bake it for maybe 20-30 minutes when I get there. Hopefully it retains most of its flavor.

Reheating in an oven. Anyways, I have it all ready. The mac and cheese is mixed in with the sauce in a casserole dish. I topped it with a bit more cheese and buttered breadcrumbs and I'll bake it for maybe 20-30 minutes when I get there. Hopefully it retains most of its flavor.

I wouldnt see any issue doing it that way, should still taste great

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Ooooh, you wouldn't have a recipe for those?

We don't get biscuits over here, and I miss them.

Yeah, no problem:

275g AP flour
20g baking powder
20g sugar
6g kosher salt
115g cold butter
1 egg
165ml buttermilk

I like to do this all by hand because biscuits can be finicky and really only need a bare minimum of mixing. So: whisk the dry ingredients together, cube the butter into small pea-sized pieces, and whisk the egg and buttermilk together. Combine the flour and butter, coating the pieces well and squishing a fair amount of it between your fingers but making sure to leave some pieces whole. Pour in the milk and egg mixture, and literally only fold around the dough enough to get most of it to hold together in a shaggy mass. Turn it out onto the (well floured!) counter and press or roll the dough to about 3/4" thick. Cut 'em into reasonable sizes and bake at 350 for ten minutes, then rotate the pan and crank it up to 400 or so for another five minutes. Now stuff yer face.

Milchjon

Yeah, no problem:

275g AP flour
20g baking powder
20g sugar
6g kosher salt
115g cold butter
1 egg
165ml buttermilk

I like to do this all by hand because biscuits can be finicky and really only need a bare minimum of mixing. So: whisk the dry ingredients together, cube the butter into small pea-sized pieces, and whisk the egg and buttermilk together. Combine the flour and butter, coating the pieces well and squishing a fair amount of it between your fingers but making sure to leave some pieces whole. Pour in the milk and egg mixture, and literally only fold around the dough enough to get most of it to hold together in a shaggy mass. Turn it out onto the (well floured!) counter and press or roll the dough to about 3/4" thick. Cut 'em into reasonable sizes and bake at 350 for ten minutes, then rotate the pan and crank it up to 400 or so for another five minutes. Now stuff yer face.

Wooo, you even used measurements I can understand :-D

Thanks a lot, will try soon.

Haha. Well, as a baker, you learn pretty fast that metric is the only way to go. Gotta be precise. Always have my scale with me!

I got my wife a professional-grade scale for Christmas last year, she was so excited, but it's the sort of thing that looks really boring to folks who don't bake a lot...

thespot84

tonight I was in charge of the main course for a music-themed dinner. I went with grilled cedar-plank salmon with a dry rub, a baked potato, and broiled asparagus with a balsamic reduction, accompanied by some whiskey, inspired by 'somewhere beyond the sea' by bobby darin.

No pictures as I screwed up the pan sauce.

Tried a new marinade for Chicken Thighs and it turned out wonderful, I had read something similar a few months back online:
Sriracha
Lemon Juice
Garlic crushed
Onions sliced thin
Salt

Marinated them for approx. 24 hours. Turned out real well, the Lemon + Sriracha flavor really penetrates well and comes out. Cooked it in oven at 400 for 30 minutes, with the marinade/onions in pan.

Unfortunately, let my pan sit on the stove for 30 seconds extra and ruined the sauce :(

Milchjon

Made a Boeuf Bourguignon. So stupidly simple.

I would make stews all the time, but they take forever and I never cook before I'm hungry...

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Made a Boeuf Bourguignon. So stupidly simple.

I would make stews all the time, but they take forever and I never cook before I'm hungry...

Get a pressure cooker, that'll cut down time to a quarter. 45 minutes and the meat is tender.

Milchjon

Can you share the recipe? Those are screaming to be covered in gravey!

He already did:

Yeah, no problem:

275g AP flour
20g baking powder
20g sugar
6g kosher salt
115g cold butter
1 egg
165ml buttermilk

Yay, finally found some extra time to make a new entremet, which are always the most time-consuming pastry I do.

Pink Raspberry Entremet

pinkentremet1.jpg

pinkentremet2.jpg

pinkentremet3.jpg

At the bottom is a vanilla sponge cake, a small lump of homemade pistachio paste, brushed with melted mars bar chocolate, mixed berry cream/jelly, raspberry mousse and a milk raspberry mirror glaze.

The best entremet I've made so far. Taste, presentaion and my technique defintely peaked with this one. I find mirror glazes to be really difficult to apply, but this time it went smoothly, the milky mirror glaze taste a lot like the pink pocky sticks, but it's really subtle in the big picture. The small amount of pistachio paste gave a nice crunchy bite to an otherwise soft dessert, and the chocolate was great at breaking the soft flavours.

Last stage in the making progress, the glaze has been applied and it's time for the entremets to set while still on the rack, the last step of moving them from the rack to the serving plate can be nerve-wrecking.
pinkentremet4.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question. I have a chicken recipe I want to try and it has a white wine sauce. The recipe calls for dry white wine. The web says sauvignon blanc works for this, is this what I should use?

kami_sama

I bought today on a chinese supermarket coconut and sesame oil.
I normally use olive oil, so I don't know how should I use these. Any recipes to use with these oils?

If it's toasted sesame oil, don't cook with it. Use it as a finisher. Cooking with toasted sesame oil can be toxic.

I use sesame oil as a dressing to make things taste more Chinese. You can also use it as some sort of all-purpose dip w/ 1 part sesame oil, 1 part soy sauce, 1 part warm water, and lots of chopped green onions.

Sesame oil is sooooooo strong. A little bit goes a long ways. Like nakedsushi said, use it more for finishing and vinaigrettes.

Speaking of which, I made some baked crispy chicken tacos, topped with a ginger sesame cabbage slaw. Sliced a chili pepper on top for a little bit of heat.

Used my roommates as guinea pigs, and all of us were very happy with how it turned out. Think I've got a keeper. Street tacos ala Shanghai, lol....

Ok I mentioned in my last post that making entremets was one of the most time-consuming pastry that I know of. Well, then there's also the whole world of Joconde Imprime cakes, which are perhaps even more time-consuming depending on how you fill them out. Well I made one last night, and it was veeeery time-consuming.

Leopard Joconde Double Mousse Cake

leopardjoconde1.jpg

leopardjoconde2.jpg

leopardjoconde3.jpg

leopardjoconde4.jpg

leopardjoconde5.jpg

It's composed of a joconde ring in a leopard pattern. Bottom layer is an upside down pineapple cake, using fresh ripe pineapple(yummy!), a layer of bittersweet(70%) chocolate mousse, mango mousse, and tropical fruit mirror glaze. Sprinkled with freeze-dried junipers and chocolate chips.

I'm very happy with the outcome. The two themes I had going worked really great(tropical: leopard, pineapple, mango | colors: yellow/brown), as well as the proportions of every element was just perfect. The often dominating bittersweet chocolate was held back by the sweet pineapple cake and the large quanity of the mango mousse.

A couple of extra in progress pics
leopardjoconde6.jpg

leopardjoconde7.jpg

Have a nice weekend!

Konka

Banned
IronGAF. I just now somehow discovered the pork tenderloin. I got a pound of marinated tenderloin for $5 and after roasting it it was amazing and I have more for dinner tomorrow as well. I don't know how I never cooked these before!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
IronGAF. I just now somehow discovered the pork tenderloin. I got a pound of marinated tenderloin for $5 and after roasting it it was amazing and I have more for dinner tomorrow as well. I don't know how I never cooked these before!

The best thing about those tenderloins is that they marinate either from the time of packaging in the plant or soon after they are garnished in stores. Any good marination needs time but the payoff is worth it.

Konka

Banned
The best thing about those tenderloins is that they marinate either from the time of packaging in the plant or soon after they are garnished in stores. Any good marination needs time but the payoff is worth it.

Yeah this one was definitely marinating since being packaged at the plant. It was so easy and turned out amazing. I don't have a roasting pan so I improvised by using a steel cooling rack I have over my cast iron skillet.

Gibbo

I just started baking loads 3 months ago- with zero prior experience. Gotta say that it has served as a great stress reliever after a hard week at work. This is a strawberry crumble that I made myself for my own birthday 2 weeks ago . Recipe if anyone is interested http://www.food.com/recipe/strawberry-coffee-cake-67733

Looks like crap against anything that Metriod Killer is posting tho. Dood your stuff looks amazing!

huc7kDcl.jpg

Simple weekend aloo gobi since we had too many potatoes and a head of cauliflower. Sauteeing in the pan:

aloo-gobi-1.JPG

Close-up on some rice (sushi rice amusingly, out of basmati/jasmine):

aloo-gobi-2.JPG

I think if you could huff cumin and coriander to get high I would be a terrible, terrible junkie.

I don't think anything is more impressive than the chickpea. Amazing how they triple in size from dried state. One of my favorite ingredients. Turning these plump little guys into hummus.

5E614168-4655-4DD2-94FA-DD338D7C08CC-1103-0000011CDCC1D8D2.jpg
I got a lot of garlic in my kitchen and large bag of chickpeas, I've never made homemade hummus before, but I think that time is now! Do you mind sharing your way of making hummus Yes Boss? I would much rather learn from you than some standard recipe from the internet.

Tonight's dinner: split pea soup and pan seared duck!

img3392fw.jpg

img3394zy.jpg
Oh my... Why don't I have any duck in my fridge ;_;

I just started baking loads 3 months ago- with zero prior experience. Gotta say that it has served as a great stress reliever after a hard week at work. This is a strawberry crumble that I made myself for my own birthday 2 weeks ago . Recipe if anyone is interested http://www.food.com/recipe/strawberry-coffee-cake-67733

Looks like crap against anything that Metriod Killer is posting tho. Dood your stuff looks amazing!

huc7kDcl.jpg
Yes, even with desserts that require precise timing and things become rather intense, it's always a great way for me to focus on something else than your common everyday problems. Thanks for the comment, your cake looks really good, and I actually think I'll give it a try in the next few days as my local supermarket has strawberries on sale :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom