• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
tumblr_mpliqtkWlj1qjbrwqo1_1280.jpg

Tonight: pork and apple sausage with braised endive, radicchio, and beet greens on some apple apricot cider pan sauce.

beat

Need your help IronGaf - when I make burgers there never as good as at a restaurant so I decided to switch things up.

Does everyone agree with this guide: http://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/how-to-make-a-perfect-burger/pictures/index.html
I'd go with the various Burger Lab writeups Kenji Lopez-Alt writes up for Serious Eats: http://aht.seriouseats.com/tags/the burger lab?ref=sectionnav

If you're in a hurry, start here: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/03/the-burger-labs-top-ten-tips-for-better-burgers.html and maybe see http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives...-shape-a-burger-for-grilling-or-broiling.html as well.

Finally got around to trying homemade soon tofu.
sdn8.jpg

Feeling like it's missing something but I can't put my finger on it... the beef seems more flavorful at my favorite restaurant. It may need more charring before adding the broth. Also the broth is also different but it may be because of the dried anchovies (never used them before this). Otherwise I think I did good. :D

BBQ plate...

Uw6r8hU.jpg
Quoting this as well, as it looks absolutely mouthwatering! Do you have any delicious go-to marinades you can share with us?

Mk, how do you prevent the strawberry juices from messing up the cake? Don't see any juice on the white cream at all. Looks so good!
After washing the berries in water I dry them individually in a towel. After cutting them open, I again gently dry the cuts. And avoid overripe strawberries. But yes, as you noticed they didn't mess up the mousse at all.

What recipe do you use for your nougat base? I really really hate nougat (I was born in Montélimar, which is the capital of nougat now... and was surrounded by this disgusting stuff all my life) but yours looks really appetizing so I would like to give it a try. Thanks :)
Well I honestly dounbt you will like them as they aren't that much different to the ones you buy. Better yes, but still nougat. I'm not too keen on honey flavor so I cut down on the amount of honey when making them, and then there's the benefit of being in control of the filling(I dislike the sweet sweet candied fruit you often get in nougat).

But here's the recipe anyway:

Ingredients:
160g honey(light, mild taste) or a bit over 1dl
260g sugar
80g water
50g corn syrup (2½ tbsp)
40g past. eggwhites
40g sugar
½ vanilla bean
Pinch of salt
Optional filling of nuts, fruit, etc.

Directions:
1. Heat up honey, sugar, water and corn syrup in a small saucepan over middel heat and let it cook until it reaches 152 celsius degrees(5-10 mins).

2. Whip the eggwhites and sugar to a meringue. Add in the salt and vanilla.

3. Pour in the syrup in a thin stream while mixing the meringue. Mix for 6-10 mins until the consistency becomes chewy and airy.

4. Shape as desired over a silicone mat or parchment paper and leave in fridge overnight.

I am currently in my parents summer residence and eventhough I will make a few cakes I probably wont be posting here that much the next two weeks :(

CrankyJay

Banned
Please do so. bbq'ing at the moment and while my homemade marinades and rubs are better than storebought I'm kinda wishing for more. The ones I make are very barebones though.

Here's one I currently use as my go-to for most things...ribs, chicken, pulled pork, beef...it's all around a great rub. It makes a HUGE batch (I do a lot of bbq'ing) so you can half this if you want.

1 cup paprika
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
4 table spoons mustard powder
1/2 cup chili powder
1/2 cup cumin
4 table spoons black pepper
1/2 cup garlic powder
2 table spoons cayenne powder

n0n44m

my burger buns came out really well this time ... perfect shape (except for consistent size :p )

I lit the coals, loosely shaped some patties quickly with just a bit of Worcestershire sauce in them and we got these great simple burgers as a result :) didn't toast the bun but I didn't miss it to be honest

maybe next time I'll try to coat them with egg before baking to get that brioche-like shine ... and I need to get my hands on some sesame seeds

Finally got around to trying homemade soon tofu.
sdn8.jpg

Feeling like it's missing something but I can't put my finger on it... the beef seems more flavorful at my favorite restaurant. It may need more charring before adding the broth. Also the broth is also different but it may be because of the dried anchovies (never used them before this). Otherwise I think I did good. :D

Nice! I still haven't gotten the hang of perfecting soon tofu to make it taste like the restaurant's yet but I've gotten close. One trick I learned is to use the rice rinsing liquid (the 3rd rinse or so) to cook the soup. So instead of broth/water, just use the rice rinsing liquid. It gives it that nice foamy thick texture when it boils.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It's not the most summer-y of foods, but hey, I made a pot of awesome corn chowder because we had a bunch of summer corn at work that was going to waste. Garnished with some cold-smoked Columbia River salmon.

tumblr_mpnc0fy7LD1qjbrwqo1_1280.jpg

As with everything, I just free-handed it, but if someone wants a recipe of sorts to try I can put something together.

edit: dessert!

tumblr_mpnfhcRHsh1qjbrwqo1_500.jpg

Nice! I still haven't gotten the hang of perfecting soon tofu to make it taste like the restaurant's yet but I've gotten close. One trick I learned is to use the rice rinsing liquid (the 3rd rinse or so) to cook the soup. So instead of broth/water, just use the rice rinsing liquid. It gives it that nice foamy thick texture when it boils.

OH....I have to try that next time! Thanks!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It's not the most summer-y of foods, but hey, I made a pot of awesome corn chowder because we had a bunch of summer corn at work that was going to waste. Garnished with some cold-smoked Columbia River salmon.

tumblr_mpnc0fy7LD1qjbrwqo1_1280.jpg

As with everything, I just free-handed it, but if someone wants a recipe of sorts to try I can put something together.

edit: dessert!

tumblr_mpnfhcRHsh1qjbrwqo1_500.jpg

*fryfacestaring* YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE DOING. Seriously wow. That desert is gorgeous.

TheExodu5

Banned
I was visiting my family in Lac St-Jean last week...couldn't resist picking up a few tourtieres. Made a small one for myself tonight. Screwed up by having the foil touch the crust which ruined it a bit but it was still fantastic.

l8IEORo.jpg

VXbXgMv.jpg

I really need to learn how to make this. It's cubed beef, pork, potatoes, gravy, and seasoning, all in a thick pastry crust. Really delicious.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Three days without updates to this thread! Community fail:(

edit: yum^^

Nice burger buns n0n, makes me hungry for burgers. But tonight it's a thick steak. Hopefully my awful stomach ache won't get in the way. But first, I'm making bruschetta with feta cheese.

IronGAF, I need some help. My boyfriend and I have started to eat chicken after years of being vegetarian. This leads to some problems as we are both clueless as to how to cook/season etc.

So, can you provide us with some easy chicken recipes to get us started? :D And what to season the chicken with etc? Thank you!

Torraz

Very new to cooking, but as my weight loss is progressing in a very satisfactory fashion, I have to back it up with a better diet!

This is my first non-sandwich / hamburger / salad solo cooking effort, and it actually came out perfectly.

I'm not sure what you call it in English, but I know it by Geschnetzeltes. Think thinly sliced meat (veal or chicken, for instance) with white mushrooms in a cream sauce (with onion and a bit of white wine).

IronGAF, I need some help. My boyfriend and I have started to eat chicken after years of being vegetarian. This leads to some problems as we are both clueless as to how to cook/season etc.

So, can you provide us with some easy chicken recipes to get us started? :D And what to season the chicken with etc? Thank you!

Above is very easy! I managed to make it (and it came out very well) on a first try. Doesn't take a lot of time either, especially if you do the preparations with two people.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just noticed that I have a bonafide Chinese supermarket right next to my place, complete with regional foodstuff items of much questionable salubrity.

Hold me, cooking-GAF.

OK Food-Gaf, yay or nay on oregano (fresh or dried) in tomato sauce. I made some Bolognese sauce yesterday and added dried oregano because cheese on a cracker, I like oregano. My mom thinks it tastes weird in tomato sauce. So am I committing blasphemy or should I from now on, add my own seasoning preferences to dishes when I eat?

OK Food-Gaf, yay or nay on oregano (fresh or dried) in tomato sauce. I made some Bolognese sauce yesterday and added dried oregano because cheese on a cracker, I like oregano. My mom thinks it tastes weird in tomato sauce. So am I committing blasphemy or should I from now on, add my own seasoning preferences to dishes when I eat?

I certainly don't think it's "blasphemy." I wouldn't put it in Bolognese sauce myself, but my advice is if you like it, fucking eat it! Who cares. If you're cooking for others (like your mom) and they don't like it, then avoid it.

For me, it depends on the type of sauce. If I'm making traditional Sunday sauce with spaghetti, I never put oregano--I think the basil does a good enough job on its own, and the thought of oregano in it just troubles me. For pizza sauce, I always use oregano. I don't know why, I just think it goes better. I also use oregano sometimes if I am making a tomato-based soup.

beat

I just noticed that I have a bonafide Chinese supermarket right next to my place, complete with regional foodstuff items of much questionable salubrity.

Hold me, cooking-GAF.
Awesome. Get shacha sauce, hoisin sauce, sriracha, a few dried shiitake mushrooms if they're sold loose, green onions, dried noodles of any kind you like, roasted sesame oil, maybe rice vinegar, fish sauce, frozen dumplings, ......... I miss my nearby Chinese supermarkets.

edit: the Fung Brothers' 'Asians Eat Weird Things' video seems relevant here.

Salt is by far the most important thing. For roasting, I like a dry salt process, which requires a lot of time for the meat to absorb.

For chicken legs, breasts, or a whole chicken, I'd say use 1 teaspoon of Diamond kosher salt per pound of chicken meat*, plus pepper, garlic powder, and maybe some chopped robust herbs (thyme, rosemary, that kind of thing). The herbs and even pepper and garlic powder are optional.

* (or half a teaspoon of table salt)

Measure the salt for how much chicken you have, add less pepper, add a lot less garlic powder, add some herbs if you want all into a bowl. Mix it all well, then rub it on the meat with your hands. Ideally get some under the skin. If the skin is really fat, you may want to poke it or score it lightly (you don't have to cut through the meat). Then put it in the fridge for probably at least six hours. I've always done it overnight, actually.

You can also brine your chicken instead, which is much faster than salting but potentially could over-salt - you should to stick to the brining time in the recipe.

Anyways, when it's ready, dry it off (if you brined it) and roast at 375F to 425F. If you're cooking a whole bird, I guess maybe start breast side down and flip it halfway through?

Roast chicken is almost embarrassingly easy.

http://ruhlman.com/2010/01/america-too-stupid-to-cook/

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/perfect-roasted-chicken-recipe.html

Get a digital meat thermometer. I got a perfectly adequate one from Sur La Table for $10 and it's so helpful to judge when chicken is done. Sometimes it's done well before the recipe said it would be, sometimes well after. The thermometer will tell you for sure. (Remember, you haven't got the thermometer probe in the right spot until you've found the coldest point in the chicken breast or thigh.)

When it's done, take it out of the oven and let it rest on the cutting board for 10-15 minutes before you start carving it.

I actually really like this chicken-and-stuffing recipe: http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/13582131/skillet-roasted-chicken-with-stuffing/ . I don't have a skillet large enough to execute this with, and I don't like breast meat anyways, so I cook the diced vegetables in a pan, then transfer them to a big roasting pan, add the cubed bread, and layer four seasoned chicken quarters on top. And I cut back on the butter since I actually seasoned my chicken ahead of time, which adds prep time to the dish but makes it better.

Anyways. Yeah, the basics of roast chicken are easy as heck. If you were vegetarian for animal compassion reasons, maybe you might want something boneless, I dunno. Either way, you might not be familiar with how to carve a whole roasted chicken either, so maybe look that up on Youtube too.

Corto

On holidays at Esposende, a portuguese northern beach village. Went early morning to the local fish auction market and bought sargo (bream??) right from the fisherman's boat. Filet them for dinner and made a quick and slightly healthier version of fish and chips hehehe

And leftover aspargus, onion, carrot and presunto tortilla from lunch. Tasted even better now!

null-1.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Awesome. Get shacha sauce, hoisin sauce, sriracha, a few dried shiitake mushrooms if they're sold loose, green onions, dried noodles of any kind you like, roasted sesame oil, maybe rice vinegar, fish sauce, frozen dumplings, ......... I miss my nearby Chinese supermarkets.

edit: the Fung Brothers' 'Asians Eat Weird Things' video seems relevant here.
They have this counterfeit-looking Siracha sauce from Vietnam that is not actually Siracha (it has a duck instead of a rooster), but it looks quite similar and is fairly cheap. I feel like I'll be risking some food poisoning soon enough.

It's so hot at my house now and our a/c is broken. Time for popsicles! This one was pretty easy to make. I just threw everything in a blender and froze it in popsicle molds.

9297160578_ea01e5acfb.jpg

Mango, Greek yogurt, blueberry, date, honey popsicles.

Time for another drive-by post of mine. I had the time to get some fun cookery done the past few days:

Lamb Pita:
The Filling: Lamb shoulder, onions, garlic, tomato paste, parsley and a whole lot of dried spices
U5XT4G3.jpg

Before going in the oven:
aamyvf5.jpg

Rolled up:
uT0XuWc.jpg

Grilled Tandoori Chicken skewers: I made these from left over chicken breasts. Didn't come close to a whole roasted Tandoori Chicken.

Grilled Ribeye: I went way overboard with the rub on this one and the flavor of the meat was completely drowned out :(

Cured Beef: This is from Fergus Henderson's Nose To Tail (which I highly recommend). A filet of beef is covered in a mixture of salt, and sugar and left to cure in the fridge for three days.
Before:

ScgcBSE.jpg

After:

VeHDBOz.jpg

Covered in black pepper:

jEDjPO9.jpg

M3Ae5li.jpg

hKsYVfL.jpg

Time for another drive-by post of mine. I had the time to get some fun cookery done the past few days:
Cured Beef: This is from Fergus Henderson's Nose To Tail (which I highly recommend). A filet of beef is covered in a mixture of salt, and sugar and left to cure in the fridge for three days.

What's the texture like? Is it more like jerky, or soft like prosciutto?

Awesome post, wish I had my hand of just half of it right now.

Just came home from my vacation and will post a couple of notworthy stuff later.

The first thing me and my gf did when we got home was to take out the handful of stuff left in the fridge and gave it a good clean up.

Remember kids, clean yo fridge!

cleanyofridge.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
No Electrolux fridge? You are a terrible Nord, Metroid Killer.

I don't mind. There's a chance one of my cousins made that fridge :p

raindoc

Awesome post, wish I had my hand of just half of it right now.

Just came home from my vacation and will post a couple of notworthy stuff later.

The first thing me and my gf did when we got home was to take out the handful of stuff left in the fridge and gave it a good clean up.

Remember kids, clean yo fridge!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/cleanyofridge.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

i recommend doing it BEFORE going on vacation.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I can tell you that leaving a package of Oscar Mayer franks in an unplugged fridge for two weeks only leads to disaster.

On the plus side, in the event of a zombie breakout, your house would be safe from both curious explorers and the undead.

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (July)

Japanese Strawberry Shortcake

japaneseshortcake1.jpg

Being located in my parents' summer residence, I had to do with simple cakes as I was dealing with a simple kitchen and tools. Which was great as strawberries are in season, and why dilute the great taste of strawberries with an overcomplicated cake.
Haven't made or even tasted a Japanese Strawberry Shortcake before, but have always admired the almost plastic-food-toy-look of the cake when walking past pastry shops in Japan.
It's quite simple to make. Spongecake, whipped cream and fresh strawberries. In this case the cream was stabilized, which means that both confectioners’ sugar and gelatin is used to make the cream more firm, pillow-like in texture as well as avoiding it weeping.

japaneseshortcake2.jpg

It obviously reminds you a lot of a summer dessert, it's both very light in taste and appearance.

~Recipe~

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (July)

Strawberry Charlotte Cake

strawberrycharlotte1.jpg

strawberrycharlotte2.jpg

The ultimate strawberry cake! But seriosuly this cake managed to blow my expectations. I really like strawberries but I usually don't like the taste of strawberries in most food related stuff(strawberry soup, cream, to name a few), but this strawberry mousse is the best one that I've ever had(and made). Funny that this is just my usual fruit mousse recipe... don't bother with the other advanced ones.
Furthermore I'm way more into chocolate cakes compared to white ones. But the spongecakes were really moist and soft and they came out perfectly thin. The ladyfingers also softened just enough to eat them with a spoon.

strawberrycharlotte3.jpg

strawberrycharlotte4.jpg

Really great cake, oh yeah, notice the red currents on the second cake layers, they totally made the entire cake! Now, no more cutting strawberries for at least a week!

~Recipe~

Ingredients

Cake layers
4 eggs
100g sugar
80g flour
Pinch of salt
40ml cream (warm, but not boiling warm!)

Strawberry Mousse
300g strawberries(washed and cut)
140g sugar
400ml heavy cream
6 sheets of gelatin
Juice from half a lemon

Other
An additional 500g of strawberries to fill layers and decorate top
Optional fruit to counter the sweet strawberries(I used red current)
Package of ladyfingers(20-25 pieces)

Directions

Cake layers
Prepare a 22cm/9in round springform with parchment paper and grease it. If you have two forms that's even better. Other wise bake the whole batch in one form and cut it up(messy and risky), or start by only baking half the batch, then re-prepare the form again and bake the remaining batch to make sure the layers become even.

- Preheat oven to 180celsius
- Mix egg until you get a light and thicker eggnog, then gradually add suagr while mixing till you get to thick ribbon stage(look it up, it's good knowledge)
- Sift the flour and salt over the egg, and gently fold
- Add 4 spoonful of the batter to the warm cream, fold to combine. Then pour it back and fold again.
- Pour into form(s) and bake for 10-12 mins or until the cake spring back when touched.

Strawberry Mousse
- Bloom the gelatin in water, while going through the other steps.
- Blend strawberries and sugar as fine as you wish. The more strawberry sæices you add to the cake, the finer the mousse should be in my opinion. Pour into large bowl.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Drain the gelatin from the water and place in small saucepan together with the lemon juice. Either heat it over a warm waterbath or over low heat. Mix until the gelatin has completely dissolved.
- Pour the gelatin into the strawberry puree and mix. Take 1/3 of the whipped cream and fold into the puree, then add the remaining cream and fold until all of it has been incorporated.
Assembly
- Cut off one of the ends of the fingers so that the can stand on their own inside the springform in which you baked the cake layers(cleaned of course)
- Once the cake layers have cooled down, place whatever layer is the thickest into the bottom of the form. You'll most likely have to cut off the edge for it to fit in the ladyfingers ring, but don't cut off too much as you'll want the cake to press against the fingers in order to avoid mousse running to the bottom. Fill any big holes with the cake edge you cut off.
- Add sliced strawberries and pour in half of the strawberry mousse(depending on how thick the mousse is, you may want to cool it in the fridge for 5 mins to avoid it leaking through the fingers
- Add second cake layers, second layer of sliced fruit, remaining mousse, and decorate with strawberries.
- Leave in fridge for at least 4 hours(for the mousse to set), or overnight(for the fingers to soften).​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom