• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RdN

OK, I'll admit.

I came here to see what you guys were cooking, but I ended up going about 10 pages back looking for more pictures of Metroid Killer's dog. The one next to the BBQ was fantastic.

TheExodu5

Banned
While this can't compete with CrankyJay's steaks, I did pick up some absurdly good steaks for super cheap last month. My friend's Loblaws ordered way too much rib steak for their 50% off sale, and as a result had to have another 50% off. They also ended up getting some seriously high quality cuts. $2.99/lb for really good quality rib steaks. Usually the supermarket has pretty terrible cuts, but this time it seems they got some AAA stuff sourced, as evidenced by the fantastic marbling:

WrDkDEI.jpg

Haha, yeah I'll try to include Shikko in more pics, he has 'soon' written all over him.
Wait, what is that thing, give me a name so I can google it! I've never seen one before but now I must have it only because there's popcorn inside :drool
Campfire popcorn popper. And no one got any tips on what to use when making popcorn with it? Google is always there, but I would rather get sound knowæedge from here.

My body can't process the carbs well so it ends up making me feel sick to my stomach (literally!). I get the same reaction from bread, pasta, rice, alcoholic beverages that haven't been cooked through...etc. :|

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! Do you get that same problem with things like fruit?

Today I made Danish for the first time, despite being a Dane myself :p

Filled with fresh raspberries and elderflower cream.

danishrasp1.jpg

danishrasp2.jpg

A dough is rolled thin and a flat square of butter is place on top. You then cover the butter with the though and roll it flat again. Fold it 3 times, rinse repeat, until you got 27 layers of butterdough. If you get it right, you can almost sense all the layers after they have bakked and they get their flaky consistency. It's not that hard to make, but you have to be careful, My dough punctured several places and because the butter had gotten too soft it got out which means that some of the layers fused. It was ok, though, quite happy with this being the first time making it.

For dinner I made a wok.

woklime.jpg

Now this may just look like your standard wok, but if you look at the bottom left corner you will see a ball shaped object with some black dots. That is actually the heart of a Socorro Dove, one of the most endangered spieces in the wo... Nah I'm just fucking with you, it's dried lime. I've had a bag full of them for some time, and use them every once in a while. I love the subtle taste the give to a wok

limes_dried-1.jpg

Made Japanese curry last night, needs a little more roux but otherwise really good. I wish my mom would let use ground beef instead of up rump roast chunks. The meat's all tough :( Oh well, veggie curry for me :)
Did you make the sauce from scratch or use something like Golden Curry? If you made it from scratch, got a recipe?

For dinner I made a wok.
Huh. Never seen that sort of meal referred to as a wok before. We'd usually call it a stir fry (because that's what you do - stir a ton as its frying) in Australia. The wok is the pan in which it's cooked (though that looks like a regular frying pan to me)... No further comment, just never heard the term used that way.

Huh. Never seen that sort of meal referred to as a wok before. We'd usually call it a stir fry (because that's what you do - stir a ton as its frying) in Australia. The wok is the pan in which it's cooked (though that looks like a regular frying pan to me)... No further comment, just never heard the term used that way.
It's a Danish term I guess. Yes it's stir fry made in a wok, but we don't have a word for that so instead we call pretty much anything made in a wok for wok meals.

danishrasp1.jpg

For dinner I made a wok.

The danish looks lovely. Did you make the pastry part yourself? That's impressive if you did! I always buy the pastry dough from the store when I make those types of things.

Funny, I've never heard the word use that way either. I guess it makes sense though. So *anything* cooked in a wok can be called a wok? What if I make scrambled eggs in a wok, can I call it a wok?

In the US, we usually call things that are cooked in a wok a "stir fry" as long as it's not too wet. If it's super wet, it's probably a soup or a stew. But then, we also make fried rice in a wok and we call it "fried rice" and not "stir fry" hmmm... English is funny.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Dinner: jumbo shrimp, scallops, oyster mushrooms with ginger, red chili and citrus.

9148260726_a325ca81fa_o.jpg

Good page! Burgers, ribs, dino-steaks, eggy pasta, danish... o__o

The danish looks lovely. Did you make the pastry part yourself? That's impressive if you did! I always buy the pastry dough from the store when I make those types of things.
The dough is really not that difficult to make. You just have to avoid some rookie mistakes that I did. The butter shouldn't be left out in room temp. beforehand as it will be way too soft when folding and rolling the dough and it'll come out of any holes in e dough.
I didn't fold the dough good properly over the butter in the beginning, meaning that the initial layer was kinda half open most likely screwing up the folding later on. But eventhough I made those mistakes it came out fine, not perfect, but good enough for me.
Of course it's takes quite some time to make the dough as you have to let it rest all the time.

n0n44m

damn I just start drooling every time I open this thread

haven't done any cooking lately apart from pizza ... I think I'll try making bagels tomorrow ! :)

maybe I should clean our oven as well... though I can assure you that all of that is burned in at over 300 degrees C

anyway a simple Margherita (use quality tomatoes and mozzarella) with some (cured) Spanish or Italian ham/sausage, rucola salad and a drizzle of olive oil on top still tastes like heaven to me

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't think I've ever tasted any aged meat. I'll make a memo and try some the next time I visit the states. It seems like nobody knows about it over here.

Dom Brunt

I made a fresh cherry tart today, it came out pretty boring looking (plus that shit lighting doesn't help) but it's fast to make and tastes nice so it's good enough for me :p

gIjbbJ9.jpg

Yesterday I made some Canadian cheddar bacon beer soup.

9155101782_281fea781d_z.jpg

So, I take the left over soup, and use it as a cheese sauce to make macaroni and cheese the next day;

9162118778_86728c0edf_z.jpg

9162120022_ccc4c05466_z.jpg

IronGAF, I wanted to leave my borlotti beans in water for a week to check if they would still be edible, and it seems they were. But nonetheless, I would like to make sure I don't get ill somehow by eating beans that got dipped for so long in water. What's the advice there ?

Wife says they'll ferment, giving an odd odor and flavour, the water may even fizz, etc., We always discard if we see anything like that (usually for us it means the 24hrs have gone to 36hrs or whatever).

Zyzyxxz

Man everyone is making great stuff, wish I had more time to cook like I use to. Sad my contribution has slowed from almost once every few days to once a month at best.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Man everyone is making great stuff, wish I had more time to cook like I use to. Sad my contribution has slowed from almost once every few days to once a month at best.

It helps that both presentation and pictures are also fucking gorgeous.

Even my best dishes end up looking like whale smegma.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Another round of eggplant parmigiana and shitty phone pics.

12sscm.jpg

2j9sc1.jpg

3jns69.jpg

Sauce:
- Onion
- Garlic (plenty of it)
- Chilli (plenty of it)
- Cumin seeds
- Smoked paprika
- Mushroom
- Kidney beans
- Passata

Fried up everything sans passata with a bit of olive oil so it all browned. Added the passata, turned down the temperature, and simmered the mix for about an hour. Removed from pan, put in a bowl and set aside.

Fried up ~1cm slices of eggplant in olive oil until they browned on each side. Preheated the oven.

Layering time. Half the sauce layered on the bottom of the tray, then all the eggplant slices layered across on top. Fresh spinach on top of the eggplant, with the other half of the sauce, finally topped with olives and fresh coriander. Cheese'd, oven'd for about 30/40 minutes.

Ey presto, easy eggplant parma.

n0n44m

should've played more with play-doh as a kid I guess, my bagels came out looking a bit "special" ...

but hey they tasted pretty damn good :)

I used this serious eats recipe , but I took cane sugar syrup instead of the malt syrup (don't have any) and I just mixed with a hand mixer for 10 minutes instead of using the food processor (less cleanup afterwards). Also didn't flip them in the oven as I used a hot baking steel plate to put the parchment paper on, so the bottom got nicely browned as well.

next week I'll just try to give them a slow-rise in the fridge so I can pop them in the oven quickly the next morning ... and I'll work on my shaping skills lol

Milchjon

I never understood the appeal of bagels. They taste like nothing and usually are way too doughy and dense. And then there's that stupid hole in the middle that's perfect for things to fall through...

kami_sama

Never again. I just used baking powder for a brad recipe and it turned out bad.
I thought it would be the same as using yeast.

Next time I'll go to the store only to buy yeast.

n0n44m

I never understood the appeal of bagels. They taste like nothing and usually are way too doughy and dense. And then there's that stupid hole in the middle that's perfect for things to fall through...

this was the first time I ate them "fresh" out of the oven, and they were actually really nice with just a bit of butter and a boiled egg on it (which didn't fell through because mine were lacking holes :p )

the ones I get from the supermarket are only good if you cut them open and toast them

but then again I always liked the taste, density and texture ;)

Edit:

I was that way too, but I think people like it because it's doughy and dense. The best part about a bagel is the chewiness of it. I have to admit that I didn't really appreciate bagels till I had one on the east coast.

So I had some leftover beet greens that I am too lazy to cook. And I wanted to make watermelon juice. I threw them together with some simple syrup and ice cubes.

It looks gross and definitely tastes "green" and healthy, but it's not half bad. It's definitely an intense kind of taste that might not be for everyone. I just try to think if all the nutritious iron I'm getting when I'm drinking it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lamb skewers, Xinjiang style.

Clockwise: Lamb leg, cubed; trimmed fat; my beloved granite mortar and pestle; spice mixture; GARLIC

Marinated in a shitload of olive oil. They will be skewered and barbequed tomorrow.

Ratios for the curious:
1.5 lbs Lamb (any cut will do but lots of extra fat is good)
2 tbs Peanut oil or olive oil
2 tbs Cumin
1 tbs Red pepper flakes (use less if your spice tolerance isn't that high, cayenne pepper can always be added while cooking)
1 tbs Sea salt
1 tsp Black pepper
1 tsp Sichuan peppercorn (not strictly necessary but nice to have)
1 tsp Coriander (also not necessary but I love coriander)
4 cloves Garlic

SbFqhpY.jpg

Ugh.

Crumble: Late July Red Hot Mojo Weakest of the Late July offerings, doubly sad as this is the first new thing they've had that I've come across in ages---just a not great mix, late heat, and too much blasted salt. That said, it came in handy on account of...

Cheese: Boschetto Trufle Forteto A poor melting, pungent smelling, blasted stealth Blue Cheese---in that it had none of the usual signs of such. Only upside are the black truffle shavings, which are probably why it was like $22 per l/b, and were the first time I've ever actually seen any in person---they were pretty OK considering the ridiculously tiny size.

VanWinkle

should've played more with play-doh as a kid I guess, my bagels came out looking a bit "special" ...

You're off to a great start with the bagels. The interior shot you posted later especially shows that you have the texture down perfectly and just need to work a little on the shaping. Good job!

We had some friends over for dinner outside.

One side of the table.

The other side

We made patatas bravas, batter fried cauliflower with aioli, Spanish style clams, marinated beets, bean salad, white wine mushrooms, bruschetta, canape with goat cheese and sun dried tomatoes, eggplant spread on bread, cheese, charcuterie, and finished off with fresh, cold watermelon. Outside dining yay!

Zyzyxxz

Lamb skewers, Xinjiang style.

Clockwise: Lamb leg, cubed; trimmed fat; my beloved granite mortar and pestle; spice mixture; GARLIC

Marinated in a shitload of olive oil. They will be skewered and barbequed tomorrow.

Ratios for the curious:
1.5 lbs Lamb (any cut will do but lots of extra fat is good)
2 tbs Peanut oil or olive oil
2 tbs Cumin
1 tbs Red pepper flakes (use less if your spice tolerance isn't that high, cayenne pepper can always be added while cooking)
1 tbs Sea salt
1 tsp Black pepper
1 tsp Sichuan peppercorn (not strictly necessary but nice to have)
1 tsp Coriander (also not necessary but I love coriander)
4 cloves Garlic

Your recipe looks good but hell no to olive oil. The taste of it IMO doesn't work well with all those spices and honestly you are going to grill and olive oil burns easily too so that's not going to taste well. Otherwise I hope it turns out well for you, I personally love lamb skewers.

CrankyJay

Banned
Your recipe looks good but hell no to olive oil. The taste of it IMO doesn't work well with all those spices and honestly you are going to grill and olive oil burns easily too so that's not going to taste well. Otherwise I hope it turns out well for you, I personally love lamb skewers.

Honestly, any taste there is in olive oil goes away and it doesn't taste as bad as you're suggesting. Either that, or you have a really sensitive pallet. I see Bobby Flay and plenty of other competent chefs use olive oil when grilling.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Honestly, any taste there is in olive oil goes away and it doesn't taste as bad as you're suggesting. Either that, or you have a really sensitive pallet. I see Bobby Flay and plenty of other competent chefs use olive oil when grilling.
I think the complaint wasn't about using olive oil for grilling per se (the whole mediterranean does that with delicious results), but rather using olive oil for asian cuisine/recipes. I wouldn't do it either because the taste of the oil doesn't match well with the other ingredients. Like you wouldn't use fish sauce or oyster sauce or soy sauce or mirin or ... in mediterranean cuisine.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

I'll keep this in mind next time. It was the olive oil or corn oil and I hate corn oil.

While this can be true, I'm usually of the "no olive oil in Asian food" school too just because I'm cheap and I don't want to waste olive oil on something that doesn't need the taste of olive oil. I usually go with canola oil or peanut oil if I do Chinese food. Canola if I want a neutral taste, peanut if I want a stronger "OMG Chinese Food" taste.

kami_sama

While this can be true, I'm usually of the "no olive oil in Asian food" school too just because I'm cheap and I don't want to waste olive oil on something that doesn't need the taste of olive oil. I usually go with canola oil or peanut oil if I do Chinese food. Canola if I want a neutral taste, peanut if I want a stronger "OMG Chinese Food" taste.

Here in Spain olive oil is one of the cheapest oils you can buy, :lol
We use it for everything.

CrankyJay

Banned
I think the complaint wasn't about using olive oil for grilling per se (the whole mediterranean does that with delicious results), but rather using olive oil for asian cuisine/recipes. I wouldn't do it either because the taste of the oil doesn't match well with the other ingredients. Like you wouldn't use fish sauce or oyster sauce or soy sauce or mirin or ... in mediterranean cuisine.

Well that I agree with, but we had a previous convo on here a few weeks back about high heat and olive oil. He is asserting it gives it a burnt taste which I don't pick up. A better argument against using olive oil for frying or grilling is the toxins it gives off because it's a cold pressed oil.

I'm fine with using it when I have nothing else on hand, but EVOO and sesame oils should be used for finishing dishes rather than cooking with them. So here, I am partially contradicting myself.

As for the using the oil in an Asian dish, if they got the oil hot enough the flavor of the oil will have dissipated as not to have unfavorably altered the dish too much, if at all.

Btw I'm smoking 2 chickens with mesquite. Pics later.

It's like 96F outside and my AC is not very good, so I didn't want to cook anything for lunch. Luckily, there's enough leftovers in the fridge to build this plate for lunch.

CrankyJay

Banned
Extra steak pic from last week

M8zMJBB.jpg

Birdies from today...2nd bird was shredded down and covered with the juices collected for bbq chicken tacos and other crap this week

LJnH7YK.jpg

qXMJP4F.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom