• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (July)

Strawberry Charlotte Cake

strawberrycharlotte1.jpg

strawberrycharlotte2.jpg

Dayum. Are you a baker, blogger, or just doing this for shits and giggles? That's a beautiful cake.

Dear god. Where those ladyfingers softened with the cake itself or did you use other means?
Softened by the cake itself. I made the cake Tuesday evening and we ate it Wedensday afternoon, and the fingers had just become soft enough for a spoon to easily cut through, yet still retain some bite on the sugar coated size. Having them be more soft wouldn't be better, so we were pretty lucky.

Dayum. Are you a baker, blogger, or just doing this for shits and giggles? That's a beautiful cake.
Shits and giggles, but actually I'm gonna elaborate on that later today...

Looks amazing! Recipe please? :)
Adding it to the original post at the moment... Is it creepy that I remember the recipe in my head?

Thanks for positive feedback wish it was easier to send cakes by mail :/

Gah my internet connection is terribly unstable these days, couldn't get online yesterday at all.

When I made a Lemon Meringue Cake

lemonmeringuecake1.jpg

lemonmeringuecake2.jpg

aaaannd fucked up another cake big time. An important part of the cake totally slipped from my hands and shattered on the floor, losing around 2 hours work and some pretty expensive ingredients... fuck...

Oh well this morning I redid the cake and it's currently setting in the fridge :)

Corto

Fantastic cakes and photos, metroid killer. ;)

I'll post some sardine pedophilia now hehe, seabass filet and tomato rice with coriander.

Sorry for the number of photos but I was so proud I wanted to share the whole process.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic cakes and photos, metroid killer. ;)

I'll post some sardine pedophilia now hehe, seabass filet and tomato rice with coriander.

Sorry for the number of photos but I was so proud I wanted to share the whole process.

I've never had fresh sardines, but enjoy canned. After cooking them that way, would you just eat the entire thing, head/eyes and all?

Edit: Also finger food? Or fork and knife?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Gah my internet connection is terribly unstable these days, couldn't get online yesterday at all.

When I made a Lemon Meringue Cake

lemonmeringuecake1.jpg

lemonmeringuecake2.jpg

aaaannd fucked up another cake big time. An important part of the cake totally slipped from my hands and shattered on the floor, losing around 2 hours work and some pretty expensive ingredients... fuck...

Oh well this morning I redid the cake and it's currently setting in the fridge :)

Hey dude..there's a cake in a picture of your dog.

Corto

I've never had fresh sardines, but enjoy canned. After cooking them that way, would you just eat the entire thing, head/eyes and all?

Edit: Also finger food? Or fork and knife?

Yep, I eat the whole thing including the crunchy tail as finger food. Some leave the head. Weaklings. ;)

Y'know what's bad, wanting to make a birthday cake for your mom but not having a car or enough ingredients to do either properly. The closest thing to a grocery store was Target 3 miles away and the gas station 0.5 miles away. I walked to the gas station and checked out the milk and eggs...all expired. Fuck that.

What do I have at home that could be made into a dessert:
-flour
-1 egg
-butter, vegetable oil
-sugar, honey, molasses
-random assortment of coffee
-dried fruit (raisins and cranberries)
-unripe white peaches and canned peaches
-1 small Japanese sweet potato
-Maybe an oz of dark chocolate
-blueberry yogurt

I ended up making a sweet potato raisin steam cake with some dark chocolate drizzle...I guess it's the thought that counts. Earlier this morning I made latkes with salad.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I love sardines, but every time I cook them (oven baked) it stinks up the house for days:|

QOBK7Mw.jpg

Cheese: Westminster Royal Addition Cheddar I have no special fascination with royal births ahead, but should such events in the future garner such a rather solid cheddar, at a good size, for $4---let their procreation run wild.

Unfortunately, it just tastes like a good cheddar as opposed to being especially stand out---but that's never really much of a downside. Melts decent, smells nice, and so on.

Esch

Banned
I'm more proud of these: Daeji bulgogi style st.louis pork chops. I made the standard sauce you can find anywhere but i added in lemon juice, a fuckton of lemongrass, more tablespoons of hot chili oil, and then secret: about halfway through the 1h45mins i spent making them i brushed them with gochujang! Turned out amazing. Sorry for the pic, i'm photographically challenged.

jYHwDUoJiNUaa.jpg

Gibbo

Made Blueberry Tiramisu yesterday. I shamelessly used fellow IronGAF Chef Maiar's Strawberry Tiramisu recipe for this. My niece says that it looks like a Kaiju from Pacific Rim :(

Tastes really good! but the base was just Slightly runny. Not sure if it is because I didn't refrigerate it long enough (4 hours) - or if my ratio of mascarpone to egg white was slightly
too low.

Btw MK: every time I see Shikko in your pictures- i feel like going to my local SPCA to adopt a dog :(

OoB7wdDl.jpg

----~ Designer Dessert ~---- (July)

Joconde Imprime Mint Mousse Cake

jocondemint1.jpg

jocondemint3.jpg

A Joconde Imprime cake! Always such a labor-intensive cake, especially when I accidentially dropped the joconde ring on the floor as I was turning it over... losing ~2 hours work. But the new joconde ring actually turned out much better, so a little win to be found afterall.

jocondemintscetch.jpg

At the base we have a nice Lemon Cake to compliment the mint taste, then a layer of mint mousse with fresh mint leaves, a chocolate spongecake, another mint mousse layer, decorated with after eight mint chocolate and mint leaves.
I'm very happy how all layers came out to be. Nice thin cake layers, even thinner joconde ring(almost without any cracks!), and perfect amount of mint mousse, really good assembly for this cake.
While the lemon and mint tastes add some freshness to the cake, it's not exactly a light summer cake. But the tri-combo of mint, chocolate and lemon works great. The lemon taste is rather subtle, as it should be, only appearing in the aftertaste, and due to the thin layers of chocolate cakes they didn't overpower the mint at all.

jocondemint2.jpg

KdoubleA

GAF, I need your culinary help. I got the following 3 main ingredients:

- Salmon (not smoked; to bake)

- Fromage d'affinois

- Mushrooms

What in the world kinda dish can I make out of these? Assume I got all the herbs, seasonings, veggies, etc, that I might need :p

Thank you :)

Edit: I'm not sure if this is even the right thread for this, so I apologize if it isn't.

thespot84

GAF, I need your culinary help. I got the following 3 main ingredients:

- Salmon (not smoked; to bake)

- Fromage d'affinois

- Mushrooms

What in the world kinda dish can I make out of these? Assume I got all the herbs, seasonings, veggies, etc, that I might need :p

Thank you :)

Edit: I'm not sure if this is even the right thread for this, so I apologize if it isn't.

This is the right place.

I'd look for any recipes that involve brie, as I believe Fromage d'affinois is quite similar. I myself don't typically cook cheese with fish, I'm a cedar plank-grilled salmon kind of person myself, but I could see it going well.

For the mushrooms, consider something like a white whine pan sauce, after sauteing them in butter/deglazing the pan with white wine. Maybe tarragon in the sauce would offer an interesting distraction from the mushrooms as it has a fresh and light 'anise' like flavor. That or you could do a butter and sage sauce, which is more earthy (but also amazing). What kind of mushrooms are you using?

KdoubleA

This is the right place.

I'd look for any recipes that involve brie, as I believe Fromage d'affinois is quite similar. I myself don't typically cook cheese with fish, I'm a cedar plank-grilled salmon kind of person myself, but I could see it going well.

For the mushrooms, consider something like a white whine pan sauce, after sauteing them in butter/deglazing the pan with white wine. Maybe tarragon in the sauce would offer an interesting distraction from the mushrooms as it has a fresh and light 'anise' like flavor. That or you could do a butter and sage sauce, which is more earthy (but also amazing). What kind of mushrooms are you using?

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I'm using Portabellas. And yeah, butter and sage is usually what I go for for the sauce; never tried using tarragon myself....I dont usually cook, but I always enjoy it when I do.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Would I make it up to you if I made a Shikko-sized dog cake? (would the frosting then have to be full of dog hairs?)

Make the "dog hairs" white chocolate shavings so it looks all fluffy and whatnot.

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (July)

Strawberry Charlotte Cake

strawberrycharlotte1.jpg

strawberrycharlotte2.jpg

----~ Designer Dessert ~---- (July)

Joconde Imprime Mint Mousse Cake

jocondemint1.jpg

jocondemint3.jpg

Your work is like God tier and I sincerely mean that. Outstanding as usual.

Wow.

Threw together a smoked salmon fettuccine a couple of weeks ago. Was super easy, took only 15 minutes and quite tasty.

It looks damn good too. As smoked salmon is one of my favorite foods, you had me right there.

Fox1304

I'm on a Peach mood those days !
Having some Popsicles on the freezer thanks to Metroid Killer, Speculoos and Peach flavored.

Made a Peach & Speculoos cheesecake too a few days ago, more pics to come when I'll get the photos from my camera later.

9343209736_f8b6697197.jpg

Was quite delicious, the slight sharpness of the peach with the soft cheese ( Philadephia cheese ) was a nice combo.
Speculoos bottom, and the liquid part is a Peach cream.
Can't wait to do it again.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Started learning how to cook japanese food.

Made a kake soba with honey soy garlic pork. Made it a bit too salty but it was still okay.

_1012599 by Antiwhippy, on Flickr

Also made an oyakodon. I'm not sure if I did it correctly seeing that the eggs don't combine like I hope, but it still tasted okay.

_1012589 by Antiwhippy, on Flickr

Still have quite a bit to learn, for example right now I am absolutely shit at cutting (I'll blame poor knives for this :p), but I'm happy with them so far.

^Nice, we can never get too much Japanese food in this thread!

Your work is like God tier and I sincerely mean that. Outstanding as usual.

Wow.
Thanks! Your comment means a lot to me.

I'm on a Peach mood those days !
Having some Popsicles on the freezer thanks to Metroid Killer, Speculoos and Peach flavored.

Made a Peach & Speculoos cheesecake too a few days ago, more pics to come when I'll get the photos from my camera later.

9343209736_f8b6697197.jpg
Awesome stuff, you need to take pictures of the popsicles before they are eaten. I haven't made anything with peaches in ages, but that cheesecake is defintely pushing me over the edge, as I'm sitting here and wondering what kind of peach dessert to make next weekend...

Oh and to contribute myself

Elderflower Popsicles!

elderflowerpopsicle1.jpg

elderflowerpopsicle2.jpg

Perfect timing as it was one of the hottest days of the summer so far. Almost running out of Elderflower Cordial, but it has really been put to great use this summer.

Fox1304

Awesome stuff, you need to take pictures of the popsicles before they are eaten. I haven't made anything with peaches in ages, but that cheesecake is defintely pushing me over the edge, as I'm sitting here and wondering what kind of peach dessert to make next weekend

I wanted to say that you are quite an inspiration on this thread. Every post you make I see myself showing what you've done to my wife, and we are both in awe each time ^^

As for the pics, there you go :D

Filling the containers

image par fox1304, sur Flickr

Ready to be frozen

And the result ( haven't tried the other shape yet, it'll be for tomorrow :D )
I may or may not have already taken a "slurp" at it, I let you all be the judges ^^

And as promised, some better pics of the cheesecake.

Fox1304

This looks fantastic. If its not too much trouble could you post the recipe?

No prob :D

For the bottom, 250g of Speculoos crushed with a spoon, and mixed with 40g of melted butter.
For the "cheese" part, 600g of Philadelphia with 2 eggs and one yellow, mixed with 110g of sugar, and 15g of vanilla-flavored sugar.
And for the topping, I can't tell you exactly the quantities, I've mixed two peaches, added a little bit of brown sugar, a lot of icy sugar, and a 0% yoghurt. For the proportions, no idea I work a lot on taste :D

Damn, writing a recipe in English is really hard, I'm missing a lot of words, so feel free to ask if there are some unknown/wrong words ...
And I haven't even bothered with the units conversions :s

yamo

Looks good. How did you get them to stay so thick?

I formed them with a big spoon before putting them in the frying pan, so they were almost egg formed when I started frying them. Not sure if that helped to get them thick or not... first time making this recipe. :)

Heel

Gonna give New York Times' shakshuka recipe a try this weekend. Non-traditional recipe that uses feta but it just looks so good. Had to share.

Yoooo, this recipe is damn good. I'll definitely be giving it another go sometime.

Eggs got a little overdone. I should've accounted for them continuing to cook when I pulled it out of the oven along with the time I spent failing to be Metroid Killer lol. Had some hot italian sausage on the side, and wouldn't mind throwing it into the recipe next time.

If someone else tries it I would recommend 7 minutes in the oven as opposed to 10, even if you're afraid that the eggs are looking raw.

Yoooo, this recipe is damn good. I'll definitely be giving it another go sometime.

Eggs got a little overdone. I should've accounted for them continuing to cook when I pulled it out of the oven along with the time I spent failing to be Metroid Killer lol. Had some hot italian sausage on the side, and wouldn't mind throwing it into the recipe next time.

If someone else tries it I would recommend 7 minutes in the oven as opposed to 10, even if you're afraid that the eggs are looking raw.

Nice! Did you eat it with some sort of starch, or just the sausage? I've always wanted to make this, but it seems like it would be too flavorful/salty to eat on its own.

No prob :D

For the bottom, 250g of Speculoos crushed with a spoon, and mixed with 40g of melted butter.
For the "cheese" part, 600g of Philadelphia with 2 eggs and one yellow, mixed with 110g of sugar, and 15g of vanilla-flavored sugar.
And for the topping, I can't tell you exactly the quantities, I've mixed two peaches, added a little bit of brown sugar, a lot of icy sugar, and a 0% yoghurt. For the proportions, no idea I work a lot on taste :D

Damn, writing a recipe in English is really hard, I'm missing a lot of words, so feel free to ask if there are some unknown/wrong words ...
And I haven't even bothered with the units conversions :s

Excellent. Thanks. One question though - what is Speculoos? I googled and still dont get it. Cookie butter? Not sure what the analogous to this would be.

Heel

Nice! Did you eat it with some sort of starch, or just the sausage? I've always wanted to make this, but it seems like it would be too flavorful/salty to eat on its own.

Yeah just some sausage, trying to watch carbs. Maybe try pita bread? You could easily reduce or drop the feta in that recipe to cut back on richness/saltiness too. Pretty cheap recipe to experiment with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom