• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1RV9KgP.jpg

Decided on a whim to throw something together in the nabe pot. This was the end result. So good!

Rouh

GETTIN MAH JUNIOR ON
Metroid Killer, just wanted to say that I will be rooting for you from the sidelines! Your desserts are always mouthwatering ;)

Gibbo

Something has been bugging me for awhile. When I made the last batch of the very popular Baked brownie recipe , about 4/5 golf ball shaped indents appeared at the bottom of the brownie. Now I've used this recipe many times in the past - with the same brand of ingredients, time in the oven, etc. But this is the first time this has happened to the recipe.

What is this usually a sign of? Air being trapped at the bottom when pouring the batter into the baking pan?

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (July)

Peach Cupcakes

peachcupcake1.jpg

peachcupcake2.jpg

Felt the need to squeeze in another fruit to this month's Season's Sweet. Peaches are in season and ripe at the moment, and they are cheap! So I've been working all weekend, planning and baking :)
First up are these amazing Peach Cupcakes. I got the recipe from The Hummingbird Bakery in London, and I think it'll be a long while before I wanna try out any other cupcake recipe. Cupcakes aren't exactly my favorite kind of pastry, because of being way too sweet. But holding back on the frosting, and using a recipe that creates a lot of flavour and you've basically won me over.

peachcupcake3.jpg

Peach Panna Cotta

peachpannacotta1.jpg

peachpannacotta2.jpg

For every Panna Cotta I make, it slowly wins in territory compared to mousse, there's still a long way up to the king though. For these panna cottas the peach is oven roasted beforehand, making it tender enough to have the spoon slip through them easily. The leftover peaches made for a great coulis, which was a great addition to the creamy panna cottas. Actually I could easily have put in twice the amount of peaches in each panna cotta as well as making more coulis.

recipe

Peach Pie

peachpie1.jpg

peachpie2.jpg

Now this is a wondeful pie, the problem is that I made 3 of them... The recipe I use is enough for 1 form and then some, I wanted to bring a pie with me to work, and wanted to make sure there was enough so I doubled the recipe having enough extra crust and filling for a third middle-sized pie.
The pie is the kind of pie where you are in heaven after the first piece, but quicky find yourself in despair after the 2nd, and then in agony after the 3rd... It's that good! But really, the cracker based crust is great but very heavy, and the filling is like no other especially if you like peaches, but it aint on the light side.

Peach pie for the next 3 days!

~Recipe~

Ingredients
Crust
500g Graham/Digestive crackers
200g Butter, melted

Peach Filling
6-8 Ripe peaches (Save 1 for decoration)
8 Egg yolks
2 Cans of sweetened condensed milk
Juice from 2 lemons

3 dl whipped cream​

Directions

Crust
- Preheat oven to 180celsius. Grease a 25cm/10in pie form
- Break the crackers and ground them in a food processor/strong blender. Pour in the melted butter and stop once its worked in.
- Press the batter into the pie form, make sure that you press it good and hard.
- Bake for 20 min, until golden and firm.
- Put aside and cool(~1 hour)

Peach Filling
- Preheat oven to 150celsiuis.
- Remove stones and peel the peaches(except for the 1 used for decoration). Take 2 of the peeled peaches and cut them into small pieces, spread out on the cooled crust. Blend the remaining peaches together with lemon juice.
- Pour egg yolks, condensed milk, and the fruit puree in a large glass bowl and gently whisk it all together. Pour over the crust and peach pieces
- Bake for 20-30 min, when the filling isn't wobbly in the middle any longer.
- Let it cool off and then let it cool in fridge for a couple of hours or night over.
- Decorate with whipped cream and peaches right before serving.​

peachpie3.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That peach pie looks gorgeous, although I'm not a big fan of whipped cream. It tends to get all runny and nasty at summer temperatures. Poor Shikko looks like he's sweating his balls off, too :)

That peach pie looks gorgeous, although I'm not a big fan of whipped cream. It tends to get all runny and nasty at summer temperatures. Poor Shikko looks like he's sweating his balls off, too :)
Which is why you make stabilized whipped cream(gelatin and confectioner's sugar added), although I was too lazy to do it this time, so I guess you are right :p And yeah Shikko is a mess these days, not built for the heat.

And to round off this month's Food Challenge here's...

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~---- (July)

BBQ Dry Rub by CrankyJay

bbqdryrub1.jpg

bbqdryrub2.jpg

First time making my own dry rub, and when we sat down and ate, I realized that it's probably also the first time that I've ate a dry-rubbed steak, at least being aware of it. I don't think rubs have been that popular here in Denmark(Europe) until the last decade.
It was fun going on spice hunting as I bought ingredients for the recipe, some stuff that I've never had in my kitchen. Also the recipe given by CrankyJay is indeed huge, so I made a third of it and it still gave a batch of around 2 cups.

Here's the rub after use:

bbqdryrub3.jpg

bbqdryrub4.jpg

Defintely another one for keeps. The amount of chili is perfect for the taste imo, and it just made a great rib-eye steak even better, and if you have the ingredients at hand it's the easiest thing to make.

Silkworm

Something has been bugging me for awhile. When I made the last batch of the very popular Baked brownie recipe , about 4/5 golf ball shaped indents appeared at the bottom of the brownie. Now I've used this recipe many times in the past - with the same brand of ingredients, time in the oven, etc. But this is the first time this has happened to the recipe.

What is this usually a sign of? Air being trapped at the bottom when pouring the batter into the baking pan?

Not sure what would cause that but you could try rapping the pan on the counter before putting it in the oven to remove any air pockets (this seems to be more of a thing to worry with regards to cakes as opposed to brownies but perhaps the same principle applies?). BTW, I've tried that recipe but I wasn't exactly impressed with the outcome. Perhaps I did something wrong since I've tried other recipes from my copy of Baked, all with good results (their lemon loaf cake recipe is especially good).

Milchjon

A question for those of ou that have insight into how restaurants work:

How do restaurants, especially those of higher quality, handle stocking ingredients? When you have pricey ingredients that should be as fresh as possible, how do you make sure you don't over-/understock?

@____@

Banned
If I'm cookig chicken breasts using a cast iron skillet can I still use a tenderizer on the chicken breasts before cooking? Or would that let the juices out?

CRS

How do restaurants, especially those of higher quality, handle stocking ingredients? When you have pricey ingredients that should be as fresh as possible, how do you make sure you don't over-/understock?
By the number and size of reservations, how busy they've recently been, the time/season of the year, if any local events are coming up, etc. The restaurant I used to work for would receive a shipment every 3 and 4 days so they would plan around that. It's in a "rural" area so the head chef had to be on point for every order cause special orders would take too long and the boss is kinda stingy with money. I'm pretty sure restaurants in bigger cities get their fresh produce and meats daily while everything else that gets shelved is ordered once or twice a week.

If I'm cookig chicken breasts using a cast iron skillet can I still use a tenderizer on the chicken breasts before cooking? Or would that let the juices out?

Should be fine. Breasts are pretty lean so it's more about not overcooking them. I usually pound them out to get them real tender and they stay juicy.

thespot84

Should be fine. Breasts are pretty lean so it's more about not overcooking them. I usually pound them out to get them real tender and they stay juicy.

always remember to also a) let your meat sit for 10 or so minutes before you cut it open and b) take the meat off slightly before it's at the right temp, because it will continue to cook for a bit after removed from heat.

Talon

Bourdain dedicates a chapter to this in Kitchen Confidential. Pretty interesting to read.

CrankyJay

Banned
Bourdain dedicates a chapter to this in Kitchen Confidential. Pretty interesting to read.

I need to re-read this book. The only thing I really remember is that brunches generally serve leftovers and only to get seafood Thursday-Saturday (see: Monday seafood specials) and that Mexicans make the greatest line cooks/kitchen staff.

Milchjon

...I read that book only a few months ago and have no recollection of that.

BTW, the knife you and Chan recommended has served me well so far. Thanks again!

Anybody know a good taco seasoning mix?

1003855_9199_A_400.jpg

I use this, it's pretty salty, so don't add any extra, and then just a little garlic powder and pepper. Simple but delicious. You could also try different variations with chili powder, paprika and cumin, depending on your taste.

So I was in KC at the city market, and bought some flatbread from a Middle Eastern bakery.

I'm now back home and trying to figure out where to find it here, in my own city. Problem is, I don't have much of an idea of what this kind of flatbread is called, other than just... flatbread. I've called a few bakeries and they are usually like, "PIta? Yeah we sell that."

But I don't know if that's what I'm looking for. It was just a really simple flatbread.

I wish I'd taken a picture before I devoured it all, haha.

Any ideas?

Edit: Found a picture, it was basically this:

1284434233_869c08c147.jpg

So I was in KC at the city market, and bought some flatbread from a Middle Eastern bakery.

I'm now back home and trying to figure out where to find it here, in my own city. Problem is, I don't have much of an idea of what this kind of flatbread is called, other than just... flatbread. I've called a few bakeries and they are usually like, "PIta? Yeah we sell that."

But I don't know if that's what I'm looking for. It was just a really simple flatbread.

I wish I'd taken a picture before I devoured it all, haha.

Any ideas?

Edit: Found a picture, it was basically this:

1284434233_869c08c147.jpg

I had Naan it for the first time a few weeks ago and it was really delicious.

qnL7NdP.jpg

T'was OK

Cheese: Flat Creek Lodge Paris Medley Good smooth melt, heavy on the "veggie" sense indeed though all I could really pick out was some chives. Overall decently decent, but nothing stand out beyond just that.

Yes Boss!

Made a green lamb curry. Used half fresh dill and half cilantro. Turned out well
enough. Was not really hot even though I had about six green chilis in there. But it did have some bite since it had about forty ground black pepper corns.

Ingredients:

Finished curry:

Made a green lamb curry. Used half fresh dill and half cilantro. Turned out well
enough. Was not really hot even though I had about six green chilis in there. But it did have some bite since it had about forty ground black pepper corns.

Ingredients:

Finished curry:

Oh my my

full recipe?

Zyzyxxz

Been too long since my last contribution but hoping I can make more time to cook soon. Right now its hard when I work 7 days a week.

Pan seared wild salmon, roasted haricot verts, shaved squash, potato sticks, whole grain mustard dressing.
9431943895_2d8683b515_c.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That looks really nice. Makes me want to try cooking salmon or any kind of fish at least once.

Wow this page is great already. I could eat every single picture!

Had oxtail last night, eventhough it's more of a winter meal. But that stock you get out of it... My god!

oxtailagain.jpg

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (August)

Raspberry Macarons with Black Currant Ganache

blackcurrantmacarons1.jpg

blackcurrantmacarons3.jpg

Time for some berries! Lots of great stuff in season at the moment, and the black currents in my garden were all due to be consumed. Now the strong taste of the currents isn't that good in big cakes, but better in small bites, so I decided to make a white chocolate ganache and use it in macarons. The only thing wrong is that I decided to make them on the most humid day of the summer and as you can see from the pictures they didn't exactly turn out great. Baking them at higher degress for a shorter time might have saved them though...

Black Currant Ganache
(fills 20 macarons)

100g White Chocolate, broken into small pieces
80g Black Currants
1½ tsp honey
1½ tbsp cream

Mash the black currants through a sieve to remove the skin and seeds. Pour the flesh and juice, together with the rest of the ingredients into a small saucepan and and let it simmer at low heat. Remove once all chocolate has melted, and place in fridge to cool for 1 hour. Keep an eye on the ganache from time to time, to make sure it doesn't set too hard.

Oh and I had some leftover ganache and did some over-the-top plating...

blackcurrantmacarons2.jpg

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (August)

Raspberry Mousse Cake

raspberrymoussecake1.jpg

raspberrymoussecake2.jpg

raspberrymoussecake3.jpg

This is my favourite cake. And it's rather easy and quick to make. The most common problem I see with cakes is that they are often too sweet, especially with the recent flux of sugary frosting. But the fresh taste of raspberries is perfect for hitting the right note for most desserts. It's not too sweet, nor too sour, it's soft and the seeds are almost unnoticeable. The combination of raspberries and chocolate is one of the best in the world of desserts in my opinion.
So here we are. Chocolate cake with raspberry mousse, with jelly and fresh raspberries. I could(and often do) eat so much of this cake that people would give me the look(perhaps because I ate their second piece?), and it only gets better the next day, when the flavours are let loose.
The mousse and jelly can be made by frozen raspberries, but please top with fresh ones.

raspberrymoussecake4.jpg

raspberrymoussecake5.jpg

~Recipe~
24 cm cake

Ingredients
Chocolate Spongecake
50 g sugar
30 g flour
7 g cocoa
Pinch of salt
2 eggs
20 ml varm cream​

Raspberry Mousse
300 g raspberries
140 g sugar
6 sheets of gelatin
½ lemon
4 dl cream

Raspberry Jelly
200 g raspberries
2 dl water
3 sheets of gelatin
½ lemon
2 tbsp sugar

+400 g fresh raspberries for decoration

raspberrymoussecake6.jpg

Directions
Chocolate Spongecake
- Preheat the oven at 180celsius. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper and grease it..
- Mix the eggs, then gradually add the sugar. Continue mixing till you reach soft ribbon stage (~5 mins) .
- Take around 60 ml and fold into the varm cream, then fold it all back into the whipped egg..
- Sift the dry ingredients into the eggs and fold gently. Pour on to the cookie sheet making sure that it covers an area larger than whatever ring you wanna assembly the cake with.
- Bake at 180celsius for 10-12 mins, or until the cake springs back when touched. Cool on wire rack.
- Use either a cake ring or a round spring form to cut out a round cake. If you have cake plastic wrap place it inside the ring and then place the chocolate layer

Raspberry Mousse
- Bloom the gelatin sheets in cold water for 30 mins.
- Blend the raspberries with sugar and pour into a large bowl. Set aside
- Whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Take the gelatin sheets out of the water and melt them together with lemon juice over a hot waterbath. Once melted mix with the raspberry purée.
- Fold in 1/3 of the whipped cream, then gently fold the remaining whipped cream.
- Pour over the cake layer, but leave around 1 cm for the jelly layer.
- Set in fridge for 1-2 hour before pouring over the jelly

Raspberry Jelly
- Bloom the gelatin sheets in cold water for 30 mins
- Put raspberries, lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan and let it simmer over middle heat for about 10-15 mins.
- Mash it through a sieve and discard the seed pulp. Remove gelatin from water and melt in the raspberry juice.
- Let it cool down to temp of your littlefinger and pour it over the raspberries and mousse.
- Cool in fridge for an additional 2 hours, or the night over.

raspberrymoussecake7.jpg

n0n44m

that peach pie looks extremely tasty Metroid

Anyone make a pizza lately? Let's see it.

fuck my phone's terrible auto focus

I'm trying to get into shape so I've been eating fruit and salads for most of the summer (plus a little grilling on cheat days), so not much to post about lately :(

I'll have to try out that rub CrankyJay posted before the summer ends though !

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_1531_zps90019284.jpg

Fresh salmon steak, dill tarragon cream, green and purple beans (the purple ones turn a light green when cooked, go figure), heirloom cherry tomatoes, garlic, candied ginger lemon, BUTTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom