• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nougat Block

nougatblock1.jpg

nougatblock2.jpg

A big block of nougat covered in cocoa powder. I seem to make a batch of nougat every other month, and every time, I end up with a new variation. There's so much to do with nougat, from what you decide to put inside, on the outside, shape and of course taste. This time I opted for a sphere block, and pure sundried fruit; goji berries, apricot, melon, papaya and melon. It's on the sweet side of things to put in, but that's what nougat is, sweet. The consistency has been the best I've ever made. It was chewy, but not like biting through a piece of leather which often happens if your syrup doesn't quite reach the high temperature. Nougat is also fairly quick to make, I'm down to 40 minutes using this recipe.

~Recipe~
Yield: 10 servings

Ingredients
160 g honey(light, mild taste)
260g sugar
80g water
50g corn syrup
40g past. eggwhites
40g sugar
½ vanilla bean
Pinch of salt

Optional:
200 g nuts, fruit, etc.
150 g melted chocolate to be brushed on top
20 g cocoa powder

Directions
- Heat up honey, sugar, water and corn syrup in a small saucepan over middel heat and let it cook until it reaches 152°C (5-10 mins).
- In a medium bowl whip the eggwhites and sugar to a meringue. Add in the salt and vanilla seeds from the bean.
- Pour in the syrup in a thin stream while mixing the meringue. Mix for 6-10 mins until the consistency becomes chewy and airy. Add in nuts and fruits during the last 5 seconds of mixing.
- Shape as desired over a silicone mat or parchment paper and leave in fridge overnight.
- To serve, pour boiling water over your sharpest knife and dry it off with a towel, to cut nice clean pieces.​

nougatblock3.jpg

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking about making some gnocchi tonight. I'll post pics if I do. Haven't made anything exciting in a while, been so busy!

Well at least a meringue was involved somewhere! Hmm, should make some nougat blocks and coat them in tempered dark chocolate...

Dinner tonight was shakshuka served over polenta with a cucumber raita. Cooking on our not-so-regularly-cleaned range:

shakshuku-1.jpg

The polenta was made with some feta and chevre instead of parmesan to harmonize better with the feta in the shakshuka. Plating:

shakshuku-2.jpg

You can't take a very interesting picture of a raita in a white ramekin, so I'll skip it, but man, it's so damn good. Fry up some mustard seeds with cumin seeds and olive oil, pour into the yogurt, then grate cucumber and mix in. Little salt, little sugar, boom, amaze-balls.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, here's my gnocchi with peas, pancetta, thyme and pecorino romano. Fried in a mix of butter and olive oil.

1PfIlI3.jpg
rQP2hq2.jpg

Vzhr75e.jpg
RbCX31g.jpg

QLjOT6o.jpg
TlY6wtZ.jpg

7k1m77u.jpg

It turned out really well!

Gibbo

Thunking of making November french desserts month in my Kitchen. I started baking in Feb this year and french pastries is something that i alway fail at. There really is very little room for error...

CrankyJay

Banned
Braising season is upon us once again...made braised lamb shanks last night. My first time...really enjoyed it.

Will get pics next time.

Thunking of making November french desserts month in my Kitchen. I started baking in Feb this year and french pastries is something that i alway fail at. There really is very little room for error...
Awesome. Any specific pastries in mind? I would join you if I had the time, but I will probably end up with a french dessert anyway :p
Braising season is upon us once again...made braised lamb shanks last night. My first time...really enjoyed it.

Will get pics next time.
Yes! Me and my gf started the season with a pot roast the other day. We could hardly hold ourselves together from how good it tasted. Braised lamb sounds good, would love to braise once a week in the following months.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yes! Me and my gf started the season with a pot roast the other day. We could hardly hold ourselves together from how good it tasted. Braised lamb sounds good, would love to braise once a week in the following months.

So easy to do, and the results are amazing. You can develop such complex flavors with not much ingredients.

Leunam

Sort of cooking related: where do you guys buy your dishes/glasses/silverware? Online somewhere? I'm looking for a particular mug I saw at a restaurant which I loved but I don't know where to start online.

CrankyJay

Banned
Sort of cooking related: where do you guys buy your dishes/glasses/silverware? Online somewhere? I'm looking for a particular mug I saw at a restaurant which I loved but I don't know where to start online.

Check out Crate And Barrel online...have ordered various glasses from them and they're always more than happy to send replacements immediately if they break on the way.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/

MrBig

I moved a while ago and had to give up making my usual pizzas due to haveing quite the small oven, but was recently inspired to make a pie in my cast iron. Came out great, just used a fourth of my usual dough and preheated the pan on a stove for a few minutes before sticking in the oven for about 15 minutes

img_3649r7dz5.jpg

Fresh moz over jalapeno, onion, and tomato sauce, served with a bit of ranch.

Zyzyxxz

Time for Thai food pics, nothing fancy just some spicy stuff.

Roast/grill chile peppers
10685445184_16dfe3c354_c.jpg

and garlic and shallots
10685636833_4927ce51bd_c.jpg

Mash in a mortar and pestle with fish sauce and shrimp paste
10685444216_90d2a16d2e_c.jpg

Serve with chilled cucumbers and blanched vegetables.
10685632763_910ed59447_c.jpg

And for the hell of it I wanted gai grapao (stir fried basil chicken) as well
10685639993_0a73bb1317_c.jpg

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I wanna cry at times when I enter this thread at the worst possible times of the day. You guys are freaking amazing, don't ever stop posting these delicious pictures/recipes!

cryptic

Those plates of food are one of the main reasons I'm choosing to leave the food industry as soon as I can.

Not only are you expected to work incredible hours, but since everything that can be done with food has been done since the 1800s, food network, culinary schools, and mad chefs trying to add worth to their work have started this whole food is art movement.

From what I've seen, it's mostly just a gimmick to raise the prices, but it's attracting and fostering a new breed of chefs that are incredibly pretentious, who will never admit what they do is just putting food on a plate, that will just rain hell down on you for years because now what they do is on equal footing with the gods.

Also, in my experience at culinary school, a lot of very rich kids seem to be using it as their art platform now. I had the unfortunate pleasure of encountering some very spoiled kids that had no concept of the struggle of the industry and how that intertwines with one's life to the point where teamwork becomes very hard to establish.
Additionally, these kids have run like a plague through the industry and have given many chefs the idea that all culinary students are bad, and many chefs who worked from the bottom were already of that mindset to begin with.

My first job after leaving cul. school I spent a few months battling with the head chef to where I needed to convince him I wasn't a "culinary student", and another few places denied me on having been a student alone.

Add to all that the fact that should you graduate or find a job in the industry cooking right away(good luck), it's still another 10 or so years before you even make close to livable money while your typical bosses will flaunt wealth in your face forever; being poor and getting treated like shit and being taunted is always good for you, you're learning and should just stick to your head in your task.

Honestly, I'd say if you want to cook, cater, and if you want to live and make money, bake, the workhorses of the industry still view baking as a dark art and will leave you alone for the most part.

OK guys and gals... I'm new around here but I have loved browsing this thread over the years I have been lurking GAF. My birthday is tomorrow and as is family tradition I get to pick what we eat for dinner. I can't decide between having a simple steak, baked potato and a salad or really going all in and making smoked brisket, green chili mac & cheese, roasted garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. So here's a question for you all: which would you choose?

OK guys and gals... I'm new around here but I have loved browsing this thread over the years I have been lurking GAF. My birthday is tomorrow and as is family tradition I get to pick what we eat for dinner. I can't decide between having a simple steak, baked potato and a salad or really going all in and making smoked brisket, green chili mac & cheese, roasted garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. So here's a question for you all: which would you choose?
For me it'd without a doubt it'd be smoked brisket, green chili mac & cheese, roasted garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. That sounds like the meal they'd have waiting for me at the gates of heaven.

CrankyJay

Banned
For me it'd without a doubt it'd be smoked brisket, green chili mac & cheese, roasted garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. That sounds like the meal they'd have waiting for me at the gates of heaven.

This...this is food that takes time and love and is a good example that is representative of a birthday. A steak is for something else...

Yes Boss!

Metroid Killer,

I know about two months back I said I was going to make some Gormeh Sabzi and post it here for you. But, nowhere in my small East Coast town had dried lemons. But I've done my bimonthly online Rice and Spice order from the Indian and I threw a couple of pack onto it. I'll be making it this weekend. The dried lemons are a bit smaller than what I usually get from the Persian markets in Orange County, CA (and a product of USA) but they should work out well enough! I'll also have to substitute rehydrated dried fenugreek for fresh. East Coast markets here suck! No fresh fenugreek ;-(

null_zps359effd5.jpg

This...this is food that takes time and love and is a good example that is representative of a birthday. A steak is for something else...

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. The local grocer had a nice 16lb choice packer trim brisket the other day, time to mosey on over there and see if they still have it. There are certain advantages to living in Texas where beef is King! I'll post pics if I remember to take them.

Metroid Killer,

I know about two months back I said I was going to make some Gormeh Sabzi and post it here for you. But, nowhere in my small East Coast town had dried lemons. But I've done my bimonthly online Rice and Spice order from the Indian and I threw a couple of pack onto it. I'll be making it this weekend. The dried lemons are a bit smaller than what I usually get from the Persian markets in Orange County, CA (and a product of USA) but they should work out well enough! I'll also have to substitute rehydrated dried fenugreek for fresh. East Coast markets here suck! No fresh fenugreek ;-(
Yeah, I've had trouble finding anything fenugreek, and only found fenugreek seeds, so any ideas for substituting?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. The local grocer had a nice 16lb choice packer trim brisket the other day, time to mosey on over there and see if they still have it. There are certain advantages to living in Texas where beef is King! I'll post pics if I remember to take them.

Brisket, brisket, brisket. Another vote for brisket!

Yes Boss!

Yeah, I've had trouble finding anything fenugreek, and only found fenugreek seeds, so any ideas for substituting?

I don't think there is really much to substitute...fenugreek is very unique. I've got lots of it dried so I'm gonna try that.

Fenugreek seeds are its own beast...those are completely different in flavor profile.

Albertson's still had the brisket I was interested in the other day. Got it on the smoker this morning at 5:00am, it should be done by dinner time. Time to prep the other ingredients for the sides this evening!

DJ_Lae

Just got myself a ~6L Hawkins pressure cooker (the, as I've learned, insanely loud whistling kind, it seriously sounds like a steam engine releasing pressure). Any suggestions for things to try?

The recipe book it comes with is interesting and is full of Indian recipes but asks for a lot of ingredients I can see myself having a hard time finding.

I'm also not sure if it's supposed to whistle repeatedly once up to pressure of it that's an indication that I haven't turned the heat down enough.

Okay you got me googling brisket....goddamn that looks awesome...
We call it "klapstuk" over here and now I want to make it :D

Okay you got me googling brisket....goddamn that looks awesome...
We call it "klapstuk" over here and now I want to make it :D

Awesome! I was too busy stuffing my face with it to take pictures. I did get an in progress pic! I'll have to figure out how to upload it another time though, I'm too tired from the day's festivities to mess with it now. And by festivities I mean all the beer I drank while I was smoking it, lol.

Zynx

I moved a while ago and had to give up making my usual pizzas due to haveing quite the small oven, but was recently inspired to make a pie in my cast iron. Came out great, just used a fourth of my usual dough and preheated the pan on a stove for a few minutes before sticking in the oven for about 15 minutes

img_3649r7dz5.jpg

Fresh moz over jalapeno, onion, and tomato sauce, served with a bit of ranch.

Please tell me how you made this.

MrBig

Please tell me how you made this.

Any aspect in particular?

The dough:
1 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (bloom with 1/4 cup warm water and pinch of sugar)
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups bread flour

This is from a recipe someone linked here long ago, I don't remember the source. The volumes are good for the king arthur flour I usually use, I don't know the mass. I usually add a bit of my dried herbs to the dough before mixing, rosemary especially.

The dough is enough to make 2 large pizzas so I let it rise for about an hour and then sliced it up into fourths, rolling the other 3 bits into balls, wrapping them in plastic wrap and sticking them in the freezer (which can be thawed in the fridge to rise the night before you want to use them). After letting the bit of dough rise for a few more hours I stretched it out until it fit into my 8" pan with just a bit of overlap so that the end could be folded down for a bit of a thicker crust. I brushed the crust with melted butter with a pinch of sugar, but the pan itself doesn't need any oil or anything, the pie shouldn't stick at all once cooked.

After assembling all my ingredients in the pan I stuck it on high heat for about 3 minutes so that the pan is heated in much the same way a stone would be in an oven (thanks to someone on /r/eatcheapandhealthy) and then into a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. My oven is from the 1960s so I cant push it to much, would go faster at a higher temp with convection.

Was THIS close to pulling the trigger on buying some truffle salt at Williams Sonoma today. Ended up getting truffle butter instead over at Whole Foods, but I think I'm gonna eventually get truffle salt and make my own butter down the road.

MrBig

Yeah, that's pretty much what I wanted to know. You don't need to knead the dough, right? I want a better pizza dough recipe that doesn't require kneading.

I use a stand mixer, let it stir for a bit to make sure everything is combining properly and then let it knead with the dough hook for 10-20 minutes until the surface is smooth and malleable, not sticky. I used to use a bread maker for this task (which should have a dough setting), but you may also be able to use a food processor. All pizza doughs will require kneading to form the gluton structures that make pizza crusts light and airy when cooked while still being able to hold the weight of the toppings

GiJoccin

Yeah, that's pretty much what I wanted to know. You don't need to knead the dough, right? I want a better pizza dough recipe that doesn't require kneading.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html

That's the dough recipe I always use. Doesn't necessarily need kneading, you work the dough inside of the bowl you mixed with.

A lot of the time you really don't have to knead, letting the dough hangout in the fridge and autolyse can do much of the work for you

MrBig

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html

That's the dough recipe I always use. Doesn't necessarily need kneading, you work the dough inside of the bowl you mixed with.

A lot of the time you really don't have to knead, letting the dough hangout in the fridge and autolyse can do much of the work for you

My experience with putting minimal effort into kneading is that crust always ends up being too droopy to eat without a knife and fork or that it's so brittle it falls apart. This Reinhart recipe and process is where I started out with making my own doughs and it was still quite enjoyable, but still required kneading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom