• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Do you guys peel kiwis? I know someone told once told me I'm not supposed to spoon the kiwi. Some people. Next thing someone will tell me they peel avocados...

BTW that Food Wishes Chef John guy is awesome, there's something about him that makes all recipes look easy to do. All recipes I tried so far have been fun and tasty. Plus, the recipes are actually fun to listen to.

Gonna make those lemon bars tonight, and right now going to make the chicken + mushrooms 2-ingredients recipe.

Do you guys peel kiwis? I know someone told once told me I'm not supposed to spoon the kiwi. Some people. Next thing someone will tell me they peel avocados...

I peel kiwis. I didn't know you could eat the skin till one time I saw my ex put the whole thing in his mouth :O

One thing I *know* you can't eat is banana peel. I ate one once just to see what it's like and it was not pleasant. Instant dry mouth.

BTW that Food Wishes Chef John guy is awesome, there's something about him that makes all recipes look easy to do. All recipes I tried so far have been fun and tasty. Plus, the recipes are actually fun to listen to.

Gonna make those lemon bars tonight, and right now going to make the chicken + mushrooms 2-ingredients recipe.

Love chef john, hes my favorite food blogger out there. Like you said they way he goes through everything make it seem super simple. I made his guiness stew a couple weeks ago and it was great.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
nakedsushi: I don't eat the skin, I cut it in half, take a spoon, and scoop the inside:) Takes like three moves, unless it's not ripe at all. Same with avocado, I cut it in half, poke out the seed with the knife (don't hold the avocado in your hand while doing that, I once actually pierced through it), then scoop with a spoon.

I just finished the chicken and mushroom recipe. It was good, really amazing what just mushroom and chicken can do (ok, salt and pepper and butter too), but the mushrooms started drying up/shrinking in the oven, so I think I could have done better. Good thing it produces a sauce, cause chicken can be such a boring meat if there's no liquid to rub it in.

Will do the lemon bars later.

thespot84

nakedsushi: I don't eat the skin, I cut it in half, take a spoon, and scoop the inside:) Takes like three moves, unless it's not ripe at all. Same with avocado, I cut it in half, poke out the seed with the knife (don't hold the avocado in your hand while doing that, I once actually pierced through it), then scoop with a spoon.

I just finished the chicken and mushroom recipe. It was good, really amazing what just mushroom and chicken can do (ok, salt and pepper and butter too), but the mushrooms started drying up/shrinking in the oven, so I think I could have done better. Good thing it produces a sauce, cause chicken can be such a boring meat if there's no liquid to rub it in.

Will do the lemon bars later.

for the avocado, slice in half around the pit, than slash the pit with the blade, not the point, twist a few degrees, and it'll come right out. much safer. Like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YapxYDh55sc#t=17

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Mushroom cannelloni. They were delicious.

Thanks mom.

xpjgtuP.jpg

My parents have a country house and enjoy picking mushrooms as soon as the first rains of autumm come in. Yesterday they came back with quite a haul. The filling is made of minced chestnuts and freshly picked grey knights and copper spikes. These mushrooms have a faint but pleasant taste and a very soft flesh. They are rarely picked because most people prefer species with stronger flavours and they rarely venture outside of the most well known and safe ones, but they are excellent for mild tasting dishes. The cannelloni were a-ma-zing, but I believe they could be even better with some small prawns or some rehidrated cod instead of chestnuts, as they have a natural sweetness that it may be slighly disconcerting for a relatively heavy meal.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
for the avocado, slice in half around the pit, than slash the pit with the blade, not the point, twist a few degrees, and it'll come right out. much safer. Like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YapxYDh55sc#t=17

Oh good trick! thanks

edit: Started making pasta again recently. This is my favorite recipe so far (tweaked from Food Wishes' smoked turkey fettuccine):

- Cook some spinach fettuccine, set aside
- Chopped shallots and garlic, in oiled pan, a minute or so (otherwise it will burn)
- Add chopped chorizo and chopped dried tomatoes (mine are in oil) for another minute
- Add 35% cream and a tablespoon of cream cheese, mix well
- Add the pasta
- Add chopped Tarragon
- Mix well
- Serve with some grated parmigiano

No need to put any salt since the chorizo is already salty enough. The tarragon with the chorizo is a perfect mix.

Easy_G

Tacos: Chorizo, mushrooms fried in chorizo fat and white wine, queso fresco, red onion, and cilanto. Corn tortillas with fresh guac sandwiched between layers.

Guacamole between the tortillas is an awesome idea. Those look delicious, and chorizo with chorizo fried mushrooms couldn't sound any more delicious.

Tonight's dinner:

x7cj.jpg

08ke.jpg

Damn! That's no ordinary dinner! What's on the asparagus? And what type of soup? Looks amazing.

Made rack of lamb the other day. I could've let it go just a couple more degrees, but I'd rather have slightly undercooked than slightly overcooked any day. I forgot how different the temperatures are between beef and lamb. Marinated in herbs (rosemary and thyme) over night and then just roasted in the oven about 15 minutes. Roasted potatoes and salad on the side (olive oil, balsamic, and whole grain mustard makes such a good dressing). Tried to keep things simple.

Damn! That's no ordinary dinner! What's on the asparagus? And what type of soup? Looks amazing.

Garlic on top of the asparagus. Soup is a sausage, kale and white bean soup - also has acorn squash, onions, garlic, tomatoes, carrots and spices. It's actually really easy - great since it's been getting pretty chilly lately.

Rookje

So I made the Crack Pie... with a secret ingredient.

biscoff_160mm_creamylr.jpg

Turned out amazing, even though I have a gas oven and no stand mixer.

zQQWrJj.jpg

Recipe is here.

If I make it again, I probably wouldn't mix the filling as long as I did. I think I airated it a bit too much as it had almost a gooey brownie consistency. I would use 9" pans instead of 10"... just to make it a bit thicker.

Here you go Metroid!

Hope it is not too many photos. Using dried fenugreek was an absolute success. In fact, after doing some research Ghormeh Sabzi can be made entirely with dried herbs.

As an Iranian, that looks delicious. You can substitute dried lemons with Verjuice and it'll taste even better (called Ghooreh in Farsi).

my grandmother's Ghormeh Sabzi is the best though :D

Great looking pies. That's a pumpkin pie, right Crystal? And now I get why it's called a crack pie!

The other day I made

Chocolate Crème brûlée

chococremebrulee1.jpg

Making crème brûlée is fairly straightforward and wont take much of your time, so I love trying new taste variations every once in a while. I've had the chocolate version in mind for quite some time, but finally got a bunch of leftover egg yolks from working with meringue, which is usually how all crème brûlée starts. Even though it's right there in the name, Chocolate Crème brûlée, chocolate and crème brûlée, I was kinda surprised that it was just like eating a regular crème brûlée, but with the flavour of chocolate. I'm happy though, because I love that thick custard, and I love chocolate. So next time you stand with leftover egg yolks and have gotten tired of the usual crème brûlée, have a go at this one.
Oh and a quick safety reminder. Never walk around with a pan of boiling water, one mistake and you are scarred for life. Remove the ramekinds from the pan while in the oven and let it cool down before moving the pan. Also while using my blowtorch for this batch it became faulty and gas started emitting from the handle, making me wonder if my hand would make it, if it blew up... Time for a new blowtorch. Make sure your equipment is safe!

~Recipe~
Yields: 4 servings

Ingredients
500 ml cream
100 g dark chocolate (70%+), finely chopped
6 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean
120 g sugar​
Directions
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- In a small saucepan heat up the cream, 100 g sugar and the seeds and empty vanilla bean till it reaches a temperature of 60°C.
- Take off heat, remove the empty vanilla bean and stir in the chocolate until it's all incoporated.
- Beat egg yolks and the 20 g remaining sugar for a couple of minutes, then pour in the chocolate cream while beating. Run through a sieve to avoid any lumps.
- Pour into ramekins to be place in a large cake pan or roasting pan. Fill it up with hot water to come halfways up the ramekins.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until they are set, but still trembling slightly in the center. Take the ramekins out of the roasting pan and cool for at least 2 hours.
- Prior to serving sprinkle a thin layer of sugar over each ramekin and melt with a blowtorch to get a nice crisp sugar lid.​

chococremebrulee2.jpg

Tonight's dinner:

xhnc.jpg

Yeeeeah, brussels sprouts season! Roasted brussels sprouts are soooo good.

Trader Joe's near me now sells black garlic. I never had it before, so I bought a bag and tried it and it was DELICIOUS. So sweet, savory and garlicky, while being mild at the same time. I had some small slices on crackers with cheese and it was like a flavor explosion in my mouth.

I chopped up 2 cloves and made pasta with shaved brussel sprouts and it was pretty good.

----~ Designer Dessert ~---- (November)

Black Belt Cake

blackbeltcake1.jpg

blackbeltcake2.jpg

A good friend of mine recently held a reception for his 25th year anniversary of obtaining black belt in karate. The guy is a total martial art nut and has his own martial art/japanese culture shop, and he's pretty much the top innovator of the Danish scene of martial arts single-handedly. So what do you give a man who's at the top of his field? You bake him a cake of course! There could only be one vision, a cake resembling a black belt, and I knew this meant that I had to venture into the world of fondant for the first time. I decided to let it be a small step and have the fondant decoration be as minimal as possible, just a white gi collar and a black belt. Then a buttercream as the main body. I admit that I still got some work to do with making my buttercream as smooth as fondant, but I'll take the taste of a rich buttercream over fondant anyday.
The inside had to be black currants of course, between two layers of the best chocolate cake I know.
One challenge I ran into was to make the buttercream white. Or white enough that it wouldn't look odd next to the white fondant. I did several tests including white food gel, light butter, but in the end the dangerous sounding tip of using violet food coloring worked the best. The violet color apparently cancels out the yellow dye of the butter, and you end up with a perfect white buttercream.
The black belt was very pleased :)

~Recipe~
Yields: 18x28cm cake ~30 servings

Ingredients
Chocolate Cake
150 g unsalted butter, room temperature
375 g sugar
3 eggs
½ tsp vanilla extract
75 g cocoa powder
1½ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
250 g flour
225 ml whole milk

Black Currant Mousse
400 ml cream
300 g black currant
140 g sugar
5 gelatin sheets
Juice from half a lemon

Lemon Swiss Meringue Buttercream
150 g egg whites
250 g sugar
300 g unsalted butter, cut into cubes and cool, but not cold
1 tsp lemon oil
Violet food coloring

Fondant decoration
250 g black fondant
150 g white fondant

Directions
Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a rectangular adjustable baking form measuring 20x30cm placed on parchment paper on a large cookie sheet.
- Mix butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 5 minutes on high speed.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping down unmixed ingredients down from the sides after each egg.
- Turn down the speed and mix in vanilla and cocoa, baking powder and soda and salt until well mixed.
- Add half the flour then all milk, then finish mixing in the remaining flour. Mix well until the batter is uniform.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden stick comes out clean. Let the cake cool slightly in the form before transferring it to a cooling rack. Clean the form and bake the other half of the batter. Once cooled down, slice the layers so they will fit in a form of 18x28cm.

Black Currant Mousse
- Soak gelatin sheets in a small bowl of water for 15 minutes.
- Blend black currants and sugar to a purée. Pour into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whip cream to soft peaks.
- Drain the gelatin sheets from water and place in a small saucepan together with the lemon juice. Melt over low heat or a hot waterbath. Once melted, stir into the black currant purée.
- Then add 1/3 of the whipped cream to the black currant purée and fold. And the remaining whipped cream and gently fold, until incorporated.
- If a bit too runny, cool 5 minutes in fridge. Place a chocolate cake layer in the 18x28cm form then pour over the mousse. Carefully place the second cake layer, making sure it's even. Cool in fridge for 4 hours.

Lemon Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Over a hot waterbath gently whisk egg whites and sugar in a medium bowl(or that of a stand mixer), till it reaches a temperature of 70°C. Take it off the bath and beat at high speeds until it becomes a thick and glossy meringue, around 10 minutes. The bottom of the bowl should feel neutral to the touch, too warm and the butter will melt.
- Mix on low speeds while adding butter cubes one at a time. The cream should have a silky smooth texture. If too runny refrigerate for about 15 minutes, and mix until the texture is right.
- Add the lemon oil and dip a tooth pick in the violet food color and wipe it off into the buttercream and mix. You may need to dip another tooth pick to get the correct color.
- Remove the form from the cake, cut off some of the cake where you want the waist/belt to be so that it curves slightly. Start applying a thin layer of buttercream on all sides and refrigerate for 20 minutes so that the 'crumb coat' hardens. Then apply the rest of the buttercream and smooth the edges as good as you can. Cool an additional 30 minutes before applying the fondant.

Fondant decorations
- Knead the white fondant first. Dust some cornstarch on a working counter and roll out a thin line so that you eventually can cut out a line of 3x45cm. With a pizza cutter, gently roll out two lines to give the effect of seams. Place white collar on cake and cool in fridge while working with the black fondant.
- Knead the black fondant. And roll out thin lines that need to be 4cm wide, and 3 'seams' added. The biggest piece will be 35cm long and will run over the 'waist'. Then two straps that will be roughly 15cm long, and finally a small piece which together with the straps will form a fake knob.
- Let the finished cake set overnight.

blackbeltcake3.jpg

Never been a fan of fondant - it just doesn't taste good. Like I realize it's popular because it has a clean look while being more forgiving than creams and icing but every time I see a cake masked in fondant from top to bottom I just get bad feelings.

I'm glad you used buttercream for most of covering the cake - LOVE buttercream.

Never been a fan of fondant - it just doesn't taste good. Like I realize it's popular because it has a clean look while being more forgiving than creams and icing but every time I see a cake masked in fondant from top to bottom I just get bad feelings.

I'm glad you used buttercream for most of covering the cake - LOVE buttercream.
I've only ever eaten fondant a handful of times, and likewise never been a fan of it. It tasted better than I remembered though, but that might just be the creator bias talking. Corncerning going overboard with fondant, I read that it's common practice to remove fondant(decorations?) from wedding cakes, which just highlights the state of fondant.

Oh and btw CrystalGemini, while going through the thread looking for recipes to cook, a lot of your entries(usually with replies in awe), have bad image links. Too bad, some of the stuff sound really amazing.

Oh wow. Didn't realize anybody was looking back at stuff. I deleted most of the older stuff from my image hosting account since there's a limit. I post all my stuff on my facebook too so I never really thought about it.

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~---- (November)

Cabbage Rolls by OnkelC

cabbagerolls1.jpg

cabbagerolls2.jpg

I remade this braised dish yesterday with a few changes, and it was having a meal for the gods. I used veal and pork ground meat as that was the only free-ranged meat I could find yesterday, mixed it with salt, pepper, garlic and an egg. Then I made oven roasted potatoes, parsnips, carrots and leak. Together with one of the best brown sauces I’ve ever made, I can still sense the taste in my mouth, and I can’t wait to have the leftovers tonight.
I rarely eat cabbage, but having it served like this can only make it taste good, and it was fairly quick and easy to make. Yet another IronGaf keeper.

cabbagerolls3.jpg

Easy_G

Welp, now starts possibly the best part of Thanksgiving. Making stock with the leftover turkey. Had Thanksgiving at my girlfriend's family's place with lots of people, so the turkey was much larger than I'm used to (22lbs!). I'd been hoping to get the carcass all night, so during cleanup her uncle asked who wanted it and I waited for several "no" responses before jumping in. Nicely browned and most of the meat was removed. The smaller bones were mostly broken already, and I don't have a tool to break the larger bones.

Anyway, pretty standard fare though. Carrots, celery, onions, bay leaves, parsley, peppercorns, and then turkey carcass/bones/skin/neck/etc.

It's just coming to a simmer now. Hopefully in 4-8 hours I'll have some life giving stock!

11137751166_d612e55812_c.jpg

11137886663_b32b62fcf8_c.jpg

11137755946_3dee434fe1_c.jpg

Thank you, local bakery down here in the state of GA, for coming through to such delicious ends on a Boston Blackout Cake for my birthday today. There's pretty much nothing else afoot today, and I've never had one prior/they'd never even heard of one prior, so this is pretty ace.

Pq2v8xH.jpg

Ideally, it'd have been bigger, but who among us doesn't generally think that about almost every cake...especially those we hope the stretch out in the freezer for months to come?

Welp, now starts possibly the best part of Thanksgiving. Making stock with the leftover turkey. Had Thanksgiving at my girlfriend's family's place with lots of people, so the turkey was much larger than I'm used to (22lbs!). I'd been hoping to get the carcass all night, so during cleanup her uncle asked who wanted it and I waited for several "no" responses before jumping in. Nicely browned and most of the meat was removed. The smaller bones were mostly broken already, and I don't have a tool to break the larger bones.

Anyway, pretty standard fare though. Carrots, celery, onions, bay leaves, parsley, peppercorns, and then turkey carcass/bones/skin/neck/etc.

It's just coming to a simmer now. Hopefully in 4-8 hours I'll have some life giving stock!

11137751166_d612e55812_c.jpg

11137886663_b32b62fcf8_c.jpg

11137755946_3dee434fe1_c.jpg

NICE! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (November)

Æbleskiver

aebleskiver1.jpg

aebleskiver2.jpg

Apple season! Lately I've been baking a lot of desserts using apples, and even tomorrow I'm gonna make three new things with apples. Talk about a versatile fruit! I do have my own apple tree, but it holds cooking apples, not the best for making desserts. My in-laws do have a good tree, so it was harvest time.
I started out with æbleskiver(or ebleskiver for the international crowd) which are traditional danish pancake spheres, baked in an æbleskive pan. In spite of the name(apple slices) you rarely see æbleskiver baked with pieces of apples in them. I'm actually not sure if I've ever had them with apples before now. However considered how much better the æbleskiver taste with apples with only little extra work, I don't see why you shouldn't add apples when making home-made æbleskiver.

aebleskiver3.jpg

aebleskiver4.jpg

~Recipe~
Yields: ~40 æbleskiver

Ingredients
240 g flour
1 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
400 ml buttermilk
3 eggs
50 g butter, melted
2 apples​
Directions
- Divide egg whites from egg yolks and set the whites aside.
- Mix the yolks with all remaining ingredients for a good 2 minutes. The batter should be thick and pancake-like. Let the batter rest for 30 minutes.
- Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold them into the batter.
- Peel and core the apples, and cut them into small chunks.
- Heat up the æbleskive pan at high heat and fill each hole with a small amount of oil, when the pan is warm fill each hole 3/4 full of batter. Before the batter has baked throughout you'll need to add the apple chunks(around 3-4 per æbleskive).
- Using wooden sticks turn over the æbleskiver while the center is still liquid, thus creating a complete sphere. Keep turning the æbleskiver until they are crisp, golden brown.
- While making the remaining batches you may want to heat the first æbleskiver in the oven at 75°C. Served warm with strawberry jam and powdered sugar.​

aebleskiver5.jpg

aebleskiver6.jpg

Apple Puff Pastry

applepuffpastry1.jpg

applepuffpastry2.jpg

If there's something that goes great with apples it's cinnamon. These puff pastries are the perfect vessels for such a great food friendship. And like most desserts I bake with apples, these are also so much better when warm. Sitting inside with the cold winter knocking at your door, having a warm apple dessert is moment to relish in. So be sure to reheat any leftovers the next day.

applepuffpastry3.jpg

~Recipe~
Yields: 8 squares

Ingredients
Apple Puff Pastry
100 g marzipan
2 tsp ground cinnamon
125 g butter
50 g water
50 g sugar
4 sheets of puff pastry (9 x 18 cm)
4 apples
1 egg for brushing
Additional butter for brushing

Crème Chantilly
Seeds from ½ a vanilla bean
1 tbsp powdered sugar
300 ml whipped cream
Juice from 1 orange​
Directions
Apple Puff Pastry
- Mix marzipan, cinnamon and butter by hand in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a small sauce pan bring water and sugar to a boil for 8 minutes, stir once in a while. Pour into a small glass or cup and save for later for brushing the pastry.
- Roll out the sheets of puff pastry on a flour-sprinkled surface, till each sheet measure 10 x 30 cm. So you only roll them longer. Cut each sheet at the middle so you have 8 pieces measuring 10 x 15 cm. In one of the ends of each sheet you cut out a small window at 3 x 6 cm.
- Peel the apples, cut them in half and remove the cores. Then cut each half into thin slices. You'll use half an apple per pastry.
- Spread out the cinnamon mixture on the sheets in the opposite end of the windows, leaving some space to the edges. Place the thinly sliced half apples on top of the cinnamon mixture. Brush the edges of the puff pastry with a whipped egg. Brush the apple slices with melted butter.
- Fold the puff pastry so that the windows covers the apples and press the edges together with a fork. Cut off any uneven edges with a knife.
- Bake the puff pastries on parchment paper in the oven at 190°C, till they are crisp and golden ~10-20 minutes. Let them cool slightly and brush with the sugar syrup.
- Served warm with crème chantilly.

Crème Chantilly
- Scrape the vanilla seeds out in the powdered sugar to seperate the seeds properly. Then add the cream and beat to soft peaks. Fold in the orangejuice right before serving.​

Apple swan tutorial thanks to King of Random.

applepuffpastry4.jpg

applepuffpastry5.jpg

Apple Pie

applepie1.jpg

applepie2.jpg

Focusing lot on apples this season I knew I had to bake a traditional apple pie, which I haven't done so before. And honestly, this was one of the best pies I’ve ever made. The warm apple cinnamon filling covered by the hard crust and served together with the cold cream was just incredible. Not that difficult to make either, just a lot of work preparing all the apples. Be vary of juicy apples where you will want to add more cornstarch to thicken the liquid. The first of many apple pies for certain!

~Recipe~
Yields: 25 cm pie

Ingredients
300 g flour
200 g butter
50 g cold water
800-1000 g apples
150 g sugar
Lemon zest from 1 lemon
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tbsp cornstarch
1-2 eggwhites for brushing
200 ml whipped cream
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
4 tbsp sour cream​
Directions
- Knead chunks of butter into the flour and water, to get a firm pie dough. Let it rest in the fridge for a couple of hours(or overnight)
- Preheat oven at 225°C, and grease a 25 cm pie form.
- Mix sugar, zests, cinnamon, cloves and cornstarch in a small bowl, set aside.
- Take half of the dough and roll it out on a flour-sprinkled surface. Fit it into the pie form, and sprinkle some of the sugar mixture over the bottom.
- Peel and core the apples, and cut them into slices to be spread over the pie, alternating with the sugar mixture.
- Roll out the rest of the dough and place as a lid over the fruit, press the edges together. You may want to use water to act as glue between the doughs. Cut off any extra dough to use as decoration on top of the pie.
- Brush with egg whites, cut some slits to let steam out while baking, and bake at the lowest rack for 35-40 minutes, until golden.
- Whip the cream and vanilla sugar to soft peaks and fold in the sour cream. Served together with the warm pie.
applepie3.jpg

applepie4.jpg

jackrubyn

Apple Pie

applepie1.jpg

applepie2.jpg

Focusing lot on apples this season I knew I had to bake a traditional apple pie, which I haven't done so before. And honestly, this was one of the best pies I’ve ever made. The warm apple cinnamon filling covered by the hard crust and served together with the cold cream was just incredible. Not that difficult to make either, just a lot of work preparing all the apples. Be vary of juicy apples where you will want to add more cornstarch to thicken the liquid. The first of many apple pies for certain!

~Recipe~
Yields: 25 cm pie

Ingredients
300 g flour
200 g butter
50 g cold water
800-1000 g apples
150 g sugar
Lemon zest from 1 lemon
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tbsp cornstarch
1-2 eggwhites for brushing
200 ml whipped cream
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
4 tbsp sour cream​
Directions
- Knead chunks of butter into the flour and water, to get a firm pie dough. Let it rest in the fridge for a couple of hours(or overnight)
- Preheat oven at 225°C, and grease a 25 cm pie form.
- Mix sugar, zests, cinnamon, cloves and cornstarch in a small bowl, set aside.
- Take half of the dough and roll it out on a flour-sprinkled surface. Fit it into the pie form, and sprinkle some of the sugar mixture over the bottom.
- Peel and core the apples, and cut them into slices to be spread over the pie, alternating with the sugar mixture.
- Roll out the rest of the dough and place as a lid over the fruit, press the edges together. You may want to use water to act as glue between the doughs. Cut off any extra dough to use as decoration on top of the pie.
- Brush with egg whites, cut some slits to let steam out while baking, and bake at the lowest rack for 35-40 minutes, until golden.
- Whip the cream and vanilla sugar to soft peaks and fold in the sour cream. Served together with the warm pie.
applepie3.jpg

applepie4.jpg
Beautiful as always. I have to ask, though, are you Swedish? There's something distinctly Swedish-looking about your photos.

Thank you, local bakery down here in the state of GA, for coming through to such delicious ends on a Boston Blackout Cake for my birthday today. There's pretty much nothing else afoot today, and I've never had one prior/they'd never even heard of one prior, so this is pretty ace.

Pq2v8xH.jpg

Ideally, it'd have been bigger, but who among us doesn't generally think that about almost every cake...especially those we hope the stretch out in the freezer for months to come?
Happy birthday! And great choice of cake, one of my favorite chocolate cakes actually
Beautiful as always. I have to ask, though, are you Swedish? There's something distinctly Swedish-looking about your photos.
o_O. Danish, so close enough.

Happy birthday! And great choice of cake, one of my favorite chocolate cakes actually

Thanks Metroid Killer---managed to save a good half dozen slices to boot...which will maybe last until early 2014 as it is pretty much a lock that at least 2 slices will vanish come Christmas and especially to ring in Midnight on New Year's unless something weird goes down.

Oh man though, that Dog attacking Apples pic---that really hit me hard just now with reminiscence for my long departed beloved dog.

Soups and risotto (which leads to fried risotto cakes from the leftovers) are what I have planned. Or just drinking it straight!

Any other recommendations for using turkey broth?

Not sure I was going to see what you did with yours! I have a ham bone waiting for its turn in the refrigerator right now. Most likely going to be a soup. I just want all that smokey goodness as straight up as possible.

Ah, I see. It's that Scandinavian air. Are you a pastry chef by profession, by the way?
Not for now, but maybe in 4 years. Got into pastry school which begins January.
Thanks Metroid Killer---managed to save a good half dozen slices to boot...which will maybe last until early 2014 as it is pretty much a lock that at least 2 slices will vanish come Christmas and especially to ring in Midnight on New Year's unless something weird goes down.
You are a stronger man than me them. No way I could leave a nice cake untouched for so long!

Some Thanksgiving food from the weekend.

I made my very first turkey this weekend. It's some heritage breed that I got and while it tastes better than the other turkeys I've had over the years (even the white meat was juicy!) I'm still not a big fan of turkey. It just seems like a whole lot of work for not that much payoff. I'd rather just have a nice roast chicken.

The LA Times persimmon salad w/ cumin & lime vinaigrette. The salad is so good but it's such a pain to peel the persimmons! (I know I can leave it unpeeled, but my family will not eat unpeeled persimmon for some reason. They fancy.)

And as if there wasn't enough food for Thanksgiving dinner already, my aunt made Bun Rieu, which is a Vietnamese noodle soup with pork and crab dumplings. My family calls this "stinky noodle" because it has a pretty particular smell to it.

Ken

What's a simple and healthy thing I can do with salmon and spinach? I'm pretty clueless about cooking anything beyond a stir-fry lol.

Easy_G

Both can be cooked pretty easily.

Spinach: Sauteed spinach is delicious, but you may not have enough (it cooks down a lot so you have to start with a TON). What you would do is heat a large pan to medium heat, add maybe a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, then add a handful of spinach to the pan. Toss the spinach around for maybe 30-60 seconds until it starts to wilt and add another handful of spinach. Keep adding spinach until you use it all up and cook for just a few minutes total. Season with some salt and your done. Strain away the liquid when serving. To make creamed spinach you merely need to add cream and cook it down!

You could also just use the spinach as a salad. I really like it with some avocado and a dressing made of 4 parts olive oil, 1 part balsamic vinegar, 1 part whole grain mustard.

Salmon: Pan frying salmon is easy. Coat the salmon with a little olive oil, heat up the pan over meadium heat, and then put the salmon in, skin side down first. Flip it after a couple of minutes and cook another couple of minutes. You can pull a small portion apart with a fork to check for doneness. If it is still translucent, let it cook another minute or two. You want it pink, but not see through and not nearly white. Season however you'd like. If you have a teriyaki sauce you can try that. Maybe some type of seafood season as well. Lots of people like lemon and dill. Even salt and pepper will be good if you've cooked just enough.

Sumidor

So after eating turkey sandwiches for the last 3 days, I need to find something else to make with all this leftover turkey. Any suggestions?

n0b

So after eating turkey sandwiches for the last 3 days, I need to find something else to make with all this leftover turkey. Any suggestions?

I just had turkey chili with the rest of mine, and it worked pretty well. No pictures though.

Easy_G

Do you have the whole turkey or just trimmings? If you have the turkey try making stock like I did above (previous page for 50ppp).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom