• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made crawfish/shrimp étouffée last week.
kmmh.jpg

hello i am baking a pumpkin pie for the first time i am so excited

its still in the oven i cant wait to eat it !!!

Haha, congrats! We just went and picked apples at an orchard this past weekend (Ricker Hill in Turner, ME, check it out if you visit, gorgeous views). I'm in Seattle right now but my mother-in-law, who bakes excellent pies, is coming out so I'm hoping to have a few waiting for me when I get back ;).

thespot84

does irongaf have some kind of recipe repository? I'm thinking of something like a quick wordpress blog or something where we could search all the awesome stuff that people post

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (October)

Pumpkin Pie

pumpkinpie1.jpg

pumpkinpie2.jpg

Halloween is closing in, pumpkins are available everywhere and I get to make food with pumpkins for the first time. It' not until the last decade that pumpkins started getting popular here in Denmark, but that was mainly the big Jack o' lantern pumpkins. In the recent years I've seen the variety grown to pie pumpkins, hokkadio pumpkins and even butternut squash which I hear almost taste the same. I grabbed a couple of hokkaido pumpkins with the clear intent that the first thing I should bake with pumpkins should of course be the classic American pumpkin pie.
I don't know what I expected, baking and eating a pumpkin pie for the first time, but I was really surprised of all the spices you use. It reminded me of christmas, which is usually the time when I bake spice cakes. And it honestly tasted somewhat like a spice cake, just in the form of a pie. Nothing wrong with that, as it tasted great, and the brown colors fit the autumm nicely.
Served with some unsweetened whipped cream and sprinkled with cinnamon.

~Recipe~
Yields: 25cm/9" pie

Ingredients
Crust
200 g flour
130 g butter, cut into cubes
30 ml Cold water

Filling
2 eggs
400 g pumpkin purée(see direction)
1 can (400 g) condensed milk
215 g cane sugar (or other brown sugars)
1 tsp cloves, grounded
1 tsp cinnamon, grounded
½ tsp ginger, gounded
1 tbsp flour
pinch of salt​

Directions
Crust
- Knead the butter into the flour and cold water. Set aside in a cool room(or in fridge during summer) for two hours. Make pumpkin purée meanwhile.
- On a clean, lightly floured surface, roll out the dough. Carefully place onto a greased 9" pie form. Gently press the pie dough down so that it lines the bottom and sides of the pie form. Trim edges with a sharp knife.

Pumpkin purée
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Wash and scoop out the seeds of your pumpkins. I used two hokkaido pumpkins for this pie.
- Place the pumpkin pieces cut side down into a covered oven container. Bake with lid on for 45-90 minutes or until the flesh is soft and will seperate from the skin.
- Scoop out the cooked pumpkin and process in a blender until smooth.

Filling
- Preheat oven at 170°C.
- In a larger bowl stir together eggs, pumpkin purée, condensed milk, sugar, clove, cinnamon, ginger, flour and salt until uniform. Pour into the pie crust and bake for 45-60 minutes or until the filling is firm and a clean knife comes out clean.​

pumpkinpie3.jpg

pumpkinpie4.jpg

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (October)

Pumpkin Bars

pumpkinbars1.jpg

pumpkinbars2.jpg

Having made a huge batch of my own pumpkin purée I had to come up with an additional pumpkin dessert, and actually had a hard time finding one that wasn't too similar to the pumpkin pie I had just baked the day before. In the end I combined a lot of different recipes and came up with these pumpkin bars. As heavy and dense the pumpkin pie is in both flavour and consistency, just as light and fluffy these pumpkin bars are. The flavour is more subtle, but the combination chocolate and pumpkin cream is amazing exactly because of how subtle they are. Meanwhile the slightly firm chocolate bottom allows the two other layers to be as fluffy and soft as they want without turning the dessert into a indistinctively cream.
It's a wonderful dessert that is worth the time it take to make it. It'll defintely impress your Family, it certainly made an impact on mine.

~Recipe~
Yields: ~15 servings

Ingredients
Crust
200 g digestive/graham crackers
2 tbsp cocoa powder
150 g unsalted butter, melted

Pumpkin Cream
3 eggs
400 g pumpkin purée (see directions)
100 g cane sugar (or other brown sugars)
125 ml whole milk
½ tsp cinnamon, grounded
pinch of cloves, grounded
pinch of salt
4 sheets gelatin
150 g sugar

Stabilized whipped cream
300 ml cream
50 g powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 sheets gelatin

Directions
Crust
- Turn the oven to 150°C and prepare a 33x25cm/13x9" baking pan with parchment paper covering the bottom.
- Break up the crackers and process them together with the cocoa powder until finely ground. Pour the melted butter into the mixture while mixing.
- Spread over the prepared baking pan and bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Pumpkin cream
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Wash and scoop out the seeds of your pumpkins. I used two hokkaido pumpkins for the bars.
- Place the pumpkin pieces cut side down into a covered oven container. Bake with lid on for 45-90 minutes or until the flesh is soft and will seperate from the skin.
- Scoop out the cooked pumpkin and process in a blender until smooth.

- Separate eggs and set whites aside. In a large saucepan, combine the yolks, pumpkin purée, sugar, milk, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Cook and stir over low heat for 10-12 minutes or until mixture is thickened and reaches 70°C. Remove from heat.
- While the pumpkin mixture is cooking, soak the gelatin sheets in a bowl of water. When the pumpkin mixture has been off heat for 5 minutes, drain the gelatin sheets from water and stir them into the pumpkin mixture until they have dissolved completely. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan on low heat, mix egg whites and 150 g sugar using an Electric handmixer on low speed. Continue beating until the egg whites reach 70°C, around 10-12 minutes. Take off heat and beat until stiff and glossy peaks.
- Gently fold into pumpkin mixture and spread evenly onto the cooled crust. Cool in fridge for 2 hours before applying the whipped cream.

Stabilized whipped cream
- Soak the gelatin sheets in a bowl of water for 10 minutes. Drain the sheets from water and transfer to a small saucepan. Add 2-3 spoonful cream. Place the saucepan over low heat and stir constantly until the gelatin dissolves. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a larger bowl beat cream, sugar and vanilla until slightly thickened. Then, while beating slowly pour the gelatin into the whipped cream. Then continue beating the whipped cream at high speed until stiff. Spread out evenly over the pumpkin cream and cool for at least an additional hour.
- Cut into square bars and dust with some grounded cinnamon.​

pumpkinbars3.jpg

pumpkinbars4.jpg

Yes Boss!

I LOVE pumpkin. Pumpkin Pie is certainly, without a doubt, the best pie to be made (I am american though!). Cool they are becoming popular europe. Neat to see them used in deserts (with gelatin, no less) other than our standard american prep!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pumpkin flavored things is the best part about fall.

Although I'm told most of that is cinnamon.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've been addicted to just pan frying cheap steak cuts lately for a quick meal. Even cheap cuts like the chuck can taste pretty good with a bit of salt and pepper.

Was home at my in-laws and we all craved cake. So I quickly made this, using apples from their garden and sea buckthorn we had collected the previous day.

Apple/Lemon Mousse Chocolate Cake with Sea Buckthorn Jelly

applemoussecake1.jpg

applemoussecake2.jpg

Not exactly the prettiest cake that I've made, but ok considering I was in a hurry and not using my own kitchen/tools. It tasted great however :p

CrankyJay

Banned
Was home at my in-laws and we all craved cake. So I quickly made this, using apples from their garden and sea buckthorn we had collected the previous day.

Apple/Lemon Mousse Chocolate Cake with Sea Buckthorn Jelly

applemoussecake1.jpg

applemoussecake2.jpg

Not exactly the prettiest cake that I've made, but ok considering I was in a hurry and not using my own kitchen/tools. It tasted great however :p

They must love you.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
@cartoon_soldier: I seemed to have overcooked the breasts (damn finicky things), and underseasoned. I think I'll go with thigh meat next time.

Otherwise very nice and a good alternative to eating red meat all the time, something I appreciate thanks to my parent's dietary needs,

Made some cookies for a bake sale we're having at work on behalf of The United Way. Nothing too special, as I used the recipe from the back of the Reese's peanut butter chip bag. Tomorrow though, I'll be making two more types of cookies.

B577BE31-EF1A-444D-9B4C-1F44CCFCAFBE-1303-0000014465A532CF_zpse2b1e14c.jpg

Made a ton so I also gave a bag to my cousin.

Made some cookies for a bake sale we're having at work on behalf of The United Way. Nothing too special, as I used the recipe from the back of the Reese's peanut butter chip bag. Tomorrow though, I'll be making two more types of cookies.
Mmm peanut butter cookies sounds great to me right. Remember to show off the other cookies you make.

Easy_G

So I took a croissant baking class that was amazing. I cook all the time, but rarely bake. The class was very detailed yet easy. Came home with tons of croissant dough ready to form and bake. The croissants below are the first attempt. I can't believe how well they turned out. There are a few things to fix such as proofing temperature and time, and the actual technique for rolling.

Also, I will need to try the whole thing again from scratch on my own to see how easy/hard it'll be making the dough without supervision. I see keeping the butter/dough temperature right as a possible difficulty.

10386673074_2d3a28e13a_c.jpg

Two hour cooking classes have been a godsend. I tried making pasta once on my own to dubious results, but after taking a single class it became the easiest thing in the world. I definitely recommend people try looking for a simple, quick class if a certain technique proves too challenging.

EDIT: That's a pain au chocolat, regular croissant, and "monkey bread" made from chopped up scraps and cinnamon.

Zyzyxxz

So I took a croissant baking class that was amazing. I cook all the time, but rarely bake. The class was very detailed yet easy. Came home with tons of croissant dough ready to form and bake. The croissants below are the first attempt. I can't believe how well they turned out. There are a few things to fix such as proofing temperature and time, and the actual technique for rolling.

Also, I will need to try the whole thing again from scratch on my own to see how easy/hard it'll be making the dough without supervision. I see keeping the butter/dough temperature right as a possible difficulty.

Two hour cooking classes have been a godsend. I tried making pasta once on my own to dubious results, but after taking a single class it became the easiest thing in the world. I definitely recommend people try looking for a simple, quick class if a certain technique proves too challenging.

EDIT: That's a pain au chocolat, regular croissant, and "monkey bread" made from chopped up scraps and cinnamon.

That looks amazing, I've been thinking of taking classes at a place close to me for cheese making. Just need to find time from work though.

For a quick dinner I decided to make an Asian inspired steak tartare using sirloin as the meat. Diced the sirloin, mashed up some sardines packed in soybean paste (similar to anchovy), minced shallots, mitsuba (japanese parsley), egg yolk, and rayu (Japanese chili oil paste condiment).
10398021136_62357a8c29_b.jpg

Mix it all up.
10398025196_15990b4404_b.jpg

Served with some scallion pancakes
10397984084_a8dd4baa6f_b.jpg

I don't eat meat and that looks stunning, nice work! I love making scallion pancakes, too, so easy but so tasty.

Now that I'm off crunch for the next-gen launch I can get back to cooking seriously. I've been just going over old favorites again lately: japanese-style curry, my Tassajara-based bread baking, and quick dinners like carbonara with sides of sauteed rapini, etc. Need to break out and try something new, maybe I'll finally make a sourdough starter and learn baguettes properly...

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~---- (October)

Pumpkin Curry by jarosh

pumpkincurry1.jpg

I have been dying to make this curry for a long time, but what better time than close to Halloween for making Pumpkin Curry? I followed jarosh's recipe, but added onions, striped carrots, striped beets and pineapple just because I love vegetables, but also to make the curry last longer. In the end it was perfect, as the pumpkin was very soft, the carrots were soft but with a bite, and the beets stayed crunchy, so your mouth had plenty of sensations while eating. This was also one of the rare dinners were I lined up everything beforehand and prepared as much as I could before any cooking. Didn't use much time, but it made the entire process very streamlined, a lot more comfortable.

pumpkincurry2.jpg

pumpkincurry3.jpg

Easy_G

That looks amazing, I've been thinking of taking classes at a place close to me for cheese making. Just need to find time from work though.

For a quick dinner I decided to make an Asian inspired steak tartare using sirloin as the meat. Diced the sirloin, mashed up some sardines packed in soybean paste (similar to anchovy), minced shallots, mitsuba (japanese parsley), egg yolk, and rayu (Japanese chili oil paste condiment).

Mix it all up.

How did it taste? It looks amazing!

Do you do anything special when using meat for tartare or do you just make sure to get a fresh cut form a trustworthy source?

So I took a croissant baking class
10386673074_2d3a28e13a_c.jpg
Those look great and I'm very envious! I defintely need to devote more time to making pastry puff as I've only done it a few times, but it's such a great element of pastry.

Done. Left are salted caramel chocolate chip cookies & right are the peanut butter cup cookies.

D95F704C-C556-404A-9D15-55B85656AD83-1210-0000013137FF1982_zps84e85d8a.jpg
Nice! I know you said the recipe for the cup cookies were on the reese packages, but could you post it anyway? Thanks!

Asian inspired steak tartare

10398025196_15990b4404_b.jpg

You never cease to amaze, even with meals I don't even like, yet here I am craving tartare...
Also hooray for rayu!

Yes Boss!

I'm actually thinking about doing the same next year. Getting a cheese-making setup and starting. My twin brother took some classes in Marin and after six months his results are already looking stunning. Check it out:

cheese5_zps026dbc86.jpg

cheese6_zps9616b1a8.jpg

cheese3_zpsd45b8901.jpg

cheese4_zpse935210e.jpg

cheese2_zps4989188a.jpg

cheese_zps7e4eb9ae.jpg

Zyzyxxz

How did it taste? It looks amazing!

Do you do anything special when using meat for tartare or do you just make sure to get a fresh cut form a trustworthy source?

Thanks, I thought it tasted good for something I made up on the spot, needed some acidity since tartare usually has capers And I was going to add in Thai pickled green peppercorns but that didn't pan out. As for meat I just make sure I get a good source. Whole muscles usually are quite safe and I hand chopped my on a clean surface. If you want to be extra safe just salt the outside of the meat for a few minutes then rinse it off as salt kills bacteria.

You never cease to amaze, even with meals I don't even like, yet here I am craving tartare...
Also hooray for rayu!

Thanks, it feels good to do some cooking for myself (well not really cooked) for once. I'm hoping I can free up my schedule soon so I can get back to regular posting and experimentation.

I'm actually thinking about doing the same next year. Getting a cheese-making setup and starting. My twin brother took some classes in Marin and after six months his results are already looking stunning. Check it out:

(a bunch of awesome cheese pictures)

Wow! Those are some pretty legit looking wheels of cheese. How did they taste? Are you guys going to age the soft ones?

jarosh

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~---- (October)

Pumpkin Curry by jarosh

pumpkincurry1.jpg

I have been dying to make this curry for a long time, but what better time than close to Halloween for making Pumpkin Curry? I followed jarosh's recipe, but added onions, striped carrots, striped beets and pineapple just because I love vegetables, but also to make the curry last longer. In the end it was perfect, as the pumpkin was very soft, the carrots were soft but with a bite, and the beets stayed crunchy, so your mouth had plenty of sensations while eating. This was also one of the rare dinners were I lined up everything beforehand and prepared as much as I could before any cooking. Didn't use much time, but it made the entire process very streamlined, a lot more comfortable.

pumpkincurry2.jpg

pumpkincurry3.jpg

Whoa! Blast from the past... Very flattered that you tried out my recipe and glad that it turned out well! From a five year old post no less. I probably wouldn't quite make it the same way anymore, having learned a lot about Indian and Thai cuisine in the meantime. However, I think I'm gonna tweak this a little and then make it again soon. Thanks for reminding me of this dish's existence :p It's been forever since I made it.

Post some of those Indian and Thai recipes, guys! All I make is the occasional curry (both Indian and Thai red/green/Masaman) from store bought paste, and every now and then Sri Lankan style dhal. Oh, and Pad Thai.

Still hoping to see a Japanese from-scratch Kanazawa curry recipe (like CoCo Ichiban or Gogo or even Sukiya).

Yes Boss!

Wow! Those are some pretty legit looking wheels of cheese. How did they taste? Are you guys going to age the soft ones?

I've not tried them. I will over christmas. My brother is in SF and I'm on the East Coast. But his results have inspired me. The only cheese I've made is paneer, ha!

Here are some 1-day old bries just starting their aging process yesterday:

bries_zps0e683f16.jpg

Italian soft cheese:

marscapone_zpse9cfa62d.jpg

Press he uses to make wheels:

press_zps3a96eab4.jpg

Yes Boss!

Made my favorite Dal Makhani. I make it so much it is not really exciting. But, I did post the process on my Instagram account if anybody is curious. It is mostly video game stuff but I decided to put a cooking process on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom