• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silkworm

Other things we have been up to. Gnocchi from scratch. I forgot to take a picture of these sauced because I was too busy eating them. Brown butter and sage and a classic slightly spicy tomato sauce. We had a few leftover that I sauteed in garlic and butter with some salt and pepper and had with some eggs for breakfast. Really tasty.

early-dec-1.jpg
Just wondering Briareos, but did you use the Cooks Illustrated recipe from 2011 for making the Gnocchi? I know you've mentioned you do use recipes from CI on a semi-regular basis so I was wondering if that was the recipe you followed. Also I've been thinking of using CI's 2012 recipe for making pasta from scratch (and cut by hand) but haven't tried it yet. Seems pretty simple and straightforward but just haven't found the time yet. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend (just need to be sure I have enough eggs on hand -- recipe uses 8 eggs).

BTW, all the images of the food you and your family prepared look delicious! :) Quite a lot of cooking/baking by the look of it and it looks like the effort was rewarded with good results.

Easy_G

Just wondering Briareos, but did you use the Cooks Illustrated recipe from 2011 for making the Gnocchi? I know you've mentioned you do use recipes from CI on a semi-regular basis so I was wondering if that was the recipe you followed. Also I've been thinking of using CI's 2012 recipe for making pasta from scratch (and cut by hand) but haven't tried it yet. Seems pretty simple and straightforward but just haven't found the time yet. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend (just need to be sure I have enough eggs on hand -- recipe uses 8 eggs).

BTW, all the images of the food you and your family prepared look delicious! :) Quite a lot of cooking/baking by the look of it and it looks like the effort was rewarded with good results.

I have no idea what the recipe detail is, but pasta with 8 eggs will be a TON. I normally use one egg for pasta which easily feeds two. I would imagine 8 eggs with of part will serve 16, easy.

Silkworm

I have no idea what the recipe detail is, but pasta with 8 eggs will be a TON. I normally use one egg for pasta which easily feeds two. I would imagine 8 eggs with of part will serve 16, easy.

Oh, if you're interested here's the recipe (see below). Also it's not 8 total eggs, I just didn't want to write out 2 eggs and 6 egg yolks -- I was lazy. Also since I use King Arthur flour it looks like I'll actually need 9 eggs (2 eggs + 7 yolks).. BTW CI's explanation for the extra eggs was "For a pasta dough that could be easily rolled out by hand (but still cook up into delicate, springy noodles), we added six extra egg yolks and a couple tablespoons of olive oil."
Fresh Pasta Without a Machine

Makes 1 pound; serves 4 to 6

If using a high-protein all-purpose flour like King Arthur brand, increase the amount of egg yolks to seven. The longer the dough rests in step 2 the easier it will be to roll out. When rolling out the dough, avoid adding too much flour, which may result in excessive snapback.

Ingredients

2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
2 large eggs plus 6 large yolks
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 recipe sauce (see related recipes)

Instructions

1. Process flour, eggs and yolks, and oil in food processor until mixture forms cohesive dough that feels soft and is barely tacky to touch, about 45 seconds. (If dough sticks to fingers, add up to 1/4 cup flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until barely tacky. If dough doesn’t become cohesive, add up to 1 tablespoon water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it just comes together; process 30 seconds longer.)

2. Turn dough ball onto dry surface and knead until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Shape dough into 6-inch-long cylinder. Wrap with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature to rest for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.

3. Cut cylinder crosswise into 6 equal pieces. Working with 1 piece of dough (rewrap remaining dough), dust both sides with flour, place cut side down on clean work surface, and press into 3-inch square. Using heavy rolling pin, roll into 6-inch square. Dust both sides of dough lightly with flour. Starting at center of square, roll dough away from you in 1 motion. Return rolling pin to center of dough and roll toward you in 1 motion. Repeat steps of rolling until dough sticks to counter and measures roughly 12 inches long. Lightly dust both sides of dough with flour and continue rolling dough until it measures roughly 20 inches long and 6 inches wide, frequently lifting dough to release it from counter. (You should be able to easily see outline of your fingers through dough.) If dough firmly sticks to counter and wrinkles when rolled out, dust dough lightly with flour.

4. Transfer pasta sheet to kitchen towel and let stand, uncovered, until firm around edges, about 15 minutes; meanwhile, roll out remaining dough. Starting with 1 short end, gently fold pasta sheet at 2-inch intervals until sheet has been folded into flat, rectangular roll. With sharp chef’s knife, slice crosswise into 3/16-inch-thick noodles. Use fingers to unfurl pasta and transfer to baking sheet. Repeat folding and cutting remaining sheets of dough. Cook noodles within 1 hour.

5. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large Dutch oven. Add salt and pasta and cook until tender but still al dente, about 3 minutes. Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water. Drain pasta and toss with sauce; serve immediately.

To Make Ahead: Follow recipe through step 4, transfer baking sheet of pasta to freezer, and freeze until pasta is firm. Transfer to zipper-lock bag and store for up to 2 weeks. Cook frozen pasta straight from freezer as directed in step 5.

Just wondering Briareos, but did you use the Cooks Illustrated recipe from 2011 for making the Gnocchi?

Yes, this was another CI recipe. I'd say 50% of our new and interesting experiments come from there, and most of our old standbys are a mix of Deborah Madison, Silver Spoon, Madhur Jaffrey, and random things I've picked up over the years (Joy, Moosewood, Tassajara, random Internets, etc.).

The leftovers prep was from a local restaurant here where I regularly get sauteed gnocchi with poached eggs in hollandaise alongside sauteed spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes.

Silkworm

Yes, this was another CI recipe. I'd say 50% of our new and interesting experiments come from there, and most of our old standbys are a mix of Deborah Madison, Silver Spoon, Madhur Jaffrey, and random things I've picked up over the years (Joy, Moosewood, Tassajara, random Internets, etc.).

The leftovers prep was from a local restaurant here where I regularly get sauteed gnocchi with poached eggs in hollandaise alongside sauteed spinach, mushrooms, and tomatoes.

Thanks for the confirmation. I suppose I can use your cooking results to confirm when certain CI recipes are worth trying (if I haven't already tried it myself) ;-) They use to have a message board at CI's website that gave some good feedback about various published CI recipes but they ditched it with the redesign some time ago. Oh well :-\

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Working on some sourdough croissants this morning. About 25/75 wheat/white flour, entirely naturally leavened (no commercial yeast), roasted garlic, nigella, and thyme in the barrage. Has a really nice tangy aroma already. Sittin' in the fridge waiting for the second turn at the moment...

1_zpsef1ae1ba.jpg
2_zpsef571ae2.jpg
3_zpsbdbb462a.jpg
4_zps9aeb3c3e.jpg
5_zps7d3d0589.jpg

finally made a new york style cheesecake

the crust may look like 2 inches of solid graham cracker crumbs but its not, its only elevated at the outside

i also made that strawberry sauce

i had two slices of this

baking is so fun :)

Silkworm

finally made a new york style cheesecake

the crust may look like 2 inches of solid graham cracker crumbs but its not, its only elevated at the outside

i also made that strawberry sauce

i had two slices of this

baking is so fun :)

Congrats on the cheesecake! BTW, did your recipe call for using the water bath method? Some people are obsessive about even heating and not getting cracks in their cheesecake but I'm not that fussy ;-) Hope you don't get sick of it (the only problem with making a cheesecake for one and hence why I haven't made one that often). I suppose it freezes fairly well so there's always that alternative. :)

Congrats on the cheesecake! BTW, did your recipe call for using the water bath method? Some people are obsessive about even heating and not getting cracks in their cheesecake but I'm not that fussy ;-) Hope you don't get sick of it (the only problem with making a cheesecake for one and hence why I haven't made one that often). I suppose it freezes fairly well so there's always that alternative. :)

no waterbath haha, i don't mind cracks either but i guess that if its being presented at some kind of event a crack wouldn't be too good

i used the chef jon way, by the way and this guy is great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ESuCLOy9E

only difference is i didn't add any lemon/orange zest because there weren't any around and i kind of regret not having them in there.. still pretty damn tasty with the strawberry sauce, though!

i live with enough people including myself for this thing to be gone in a few days

Leunam

Decided to go ahead and try making this instead of waiting a few days as intended. Crispy salmon with potato salad (crab and green onion) and pan seared tomatoes, another Ramsay thing.

IejygoD.jpg

Despite not following the recipe exactly and overcooking the skin a bit I'm very happy with how this turned out. The potato salad was delicious and I gobbled up the tomatoes right away.

Silkworm

no waterbath haha, i don't mind cracks either but i guess that if its being presented at some kind of event a crack wouldn't be too good

i used the chef jon way, by the way and this guy is great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ESuCLOy9E

only difference is i didn't add any lemon/orange zest because there weren't any around and i kind of regret not having them in there.. still pretty damn tasty with the strawberry sauce, though!

i live with enough people including myself for this thing to be gone in a few days

Cool, sharing is definitely the way to go. I figure if I ever try baking something like a cheesecake again I'd bring it to share with co-workers :) BTW, this reminded me of a recipe I saw for Ricotta Cheesecake. Hmmmm, maybe it's time to try that. It sounded delicious and would be a nice variation since it's lighter, drier, and not as sweet or rich as NY style cheesecake.

Cool, sharing is definitely the way to go. I figure if I ever try baking something like a cheesecake again I'd bring it to share with co-workers :) BTW, this reminded me of a recipe I saw for Ricotta Cheesecake. Hmmmm, maybe it's time to try that. It sounded delicious and would be a nice variation since it's lighter, drier, and not as sweet or rich as NY style cheesecake.

ooo never heard of ricotta cheesecake. it looks like it'd have a really nice texture. im new at cheesecakes, i thought it was only done with cream cheese lol

the next one im gonna do is most likely gonna be mascarpone but now im adding ricotta to the list as well since its such a common product

----~ Designer Dessert ~---- (December)

Matcha Mousse Cake

matchamoussecake1.jpg

matchamoussecake2.jpg

Now this is an interesting cake, from the fancy presentation to the flavour combination, it's bound to garner some commentary from people having a slice. The presentation is as perfect as I wanted it to be. All about lines, the horizontal layers of the cake and the off lines from the chocolate decors and the cocoa stripes. I was very pleased with the end result.
I wanted a combination of matcha, chocolate and citrus and chose lime as the green color would fit with the pale matcha green. I'm actually not a big fan of matcha, at least not as a prime flavour, so I intentionally chose two dominating flavours to balance it out. Still confining the chocolate mousse and lime to the inner part, will still yield a flavourful matcha bite once you reach the outer edge of your slice. Again, I was very pleased with the end result, even though I wasn't using my favorite flavours.
The cake isn't as tricky to assmble as it looks. Each part is easy and quickly done with, but it obviously adds up, with the amount of elements in play. The only part where I would be extra careful is to make sure that the lime jelly layer doesn't run through the bottom chocolate mousse. In other words, make sure the mousse fills out the bottom layer, leaving no holes for the jelly to run through, as well as making sure the jelly is cool and starting to became gelationous. Good luck!

matchamoussecake3.jpg

~Recipe~
Yields: 24 cm cake, 12-15 servings

Ingredients
Chocolate Sponge
50 g sugar
30 g flour
7 g cocoa
Pinch of salt
2 eggs
20 ml varm cream

Lime Jelly
3 limes
200 ml water
50 g sugar
2 gelatin sheets
Green food color

Chocolate Mousse
100 g 70% chocolate
200 ml cream
1 tbsp sugar

Matcha Mousse
500 ml cream
1 tbsp matcha powder
140 g sugar
4 gelatin sheets​

Directions
Chocolate Sponge
- Preheat the oven at 180celsius. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the eggs, then gradually add the sugar. Continue mixing till you reach soft ribbon stage (~5 mins) .
- Take around 60 ml of the egg mixture and fold into the varm cream, then fold it all back into the whipped egg..
- Sift the dry ingredients into the eggs and fold gently. Pour on to the cookie sheet making sure that it covers an area larger than whatever ring you wanna assembly the cake with.
- Bake at 180celsius for 10-12 mins, or until the cake springs back when touched. Cool on wire rack.
- Use either a cake ring or a round spring form to cut out a round cake. I used a 24 cm ring. If you have cake plastic wrap place it inside the ring and then place the chocolate layer on your serving plate.

Lime Jelly
- Soak gelatin sheets in a small bowl of water for 15 minutes.
- Warm the water in a small sauce pan on low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Stir to prevent the sugar from burning.
- Add juice and zests from the limes, and green food color until you get the desired color.
- Drain the gelatin sheets from water and stir into the warm juice until the sheets have melted. Set aside to cool to the touch.

Chocolate Mousse
- Melt chocolate over a hot waterbath. Once melted takeout of the bath to cool off slightly.
- Whip the cream and sugar into whipped cream.
- Now we will split up the chocolate mousse as we want two layers with the lime jelly seperating the mousse layers.
- Place a small cake ring(16 cm) at the center of the chocolate sponge, use cake plastic wrap inside the ring to make the process easier.
- Take half of the whipped cream and transfer to a medium bowl, then pour half of the melted chocolate into the whipped cream and gently fold. Spread out in the small cake ring, making sure it fills the cake ring and that the top is smooth. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
- The chocolate should now have set somewhat and your lime jelly should show some gelatinous signs. If your jelly is still warm or as liquid as water you can refrigerate it, but keep an eye on it, suddenly it's become a jelly and you'll have to reheat it. Once it reaches the stage when the liquid will coat a spoon then pour over the chocolate mousse layer. I didn't use all the jelly as I wanted a thing elegant layer. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- The jelly should now have set, and it's time to make the second part of the chocolate mousse. Remelt the remaining chocolate, give the cream a quick whip, and fold in the chocolate. Gently spread over the jelly making sure not to break the jelly. Refrigerate for 1 additional hour.

Matcha Mousse
- Soak gelatin sheets in a small bowl of water for 15 minutes.
- Heat 100 ml cream and the sugar in a small sauce pan on low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Stir to prevent the sugar from burning. Once the sugar has dissolved add the matcha while stirring.
- Drain the gelatin sheets from water and stir into the warm cream the sheets have melted. Run through a sieve to remove any matcha lumps.
- Whip the remaining 400 ml cream to soft peaks and fold 1/3 into the matcha cream, then fold in the remaining whipped cream.
- Remove the small cake ring and spread out the matcha mousse inside the large cake ring, making sure it goes into all edges and smooth out the top. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

An hour or so before serving decorate with melted chocolate(100 g~) and cocoa powder.​

matchamoussecake4.jpg

Melchiah

My first pic-post. An old Finnish season tradition, Yule tarts; roll, cut and fold the pastry, brush it with egg, add plum jam. The local joke is, that recently some Swedish left-wing nut compared them to swastikas.

WyJkQsTl.jpg

Silkworm

Finished making the sourdough croissants last night and baked off a few this morning to have with a chorizo omelette.

IMG_1774_zps3e010d12.jpg

As banglasdesh said, "absolutely stunning" Cosmic. :) BTW, is it Spanish or Mexican style chorizo used in the omelet? I'd guess Mexican since it's more crumbly but you never know. I've made Spanish-Style Lentil and Chorizo Soup with Kale as well as Braised Collard Greens with Chorizo and both used the Spanish style of chorizo which I really like.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sliced toasted bread, lots of goat cheese mixed with thyme and pepper, and orange slices, broiled.

wdyl7gC.jpg

I could have broiled it more. The original recipe was with peaches but I had none. The orange goes very well with the thyme, and when you bite the warm juice flows into the goat cheese. I made three loaves, so good. Next time I have to manage to spread out the oranges properly. I didn't want to mash them, so they end up looking a bit silly like this, but it was tasty.

lol, love how they look afraid of him.

n0n44m

Disclaimer: Make sure to get at least an hour of intensive physical exercise in on the day you make this dish, else you'll feel guilty for a week :)

Time for the ultimate winter food

I found a nice block of Reblochon cheese in a Belgian supermarket (French chain actually), which reminded me of my favorite dish when I go skiing in the (French) Alps: Tartiflette

So you need a nice big wheel of Reblochon (450g). Furthermore I used about 1.3 kg of waxy potatoes (peeled, sliced rather thick with a mandoline), three small onions (cut in half-moons), two to four garlic cloves, 200g of lardons (bacon cubes?), some spoons of crème fraîche and some pepper & salt.

Heat up your oven to 200c. Start by boiling the potato slices until "al dente" (depends on the thickness, took me 10 minutes). Meanwhile fry the lardons in a little bit of oil, then take them out with a slotted spoon and start glazing the onions in their fat. Add some crushed garlic once the onions start to brown.

Add the lardons back to the onions/garlic and turn off the fire. Once the potato slices are done boiling, drain them and (gently) mix them up with the lardon/onion/garlic, so they get a little greasy :)

Butter up an oven dish slightly. Now you horizontally cut your wheel of Reblochon into two pieces like in my pic.

Start to layer out the potato-lardon-onion mix in your dish, adding some pepper (and very little salt) to every layer. Don't worry about the slices breaking a bit, just don't overcompress the layers. Once you have used half of the potato mix, you take the bottom half of the Reblochon, coat it with a thin layer of crème fraîche and put it on top with the cut-open-side facing down.

Now you continue adding layers of potato mix (covering the piece of Reblochon), until you've run out. This time you take the top part of the Reblochon and follow the same procedure as before. Finally you put some pepper & salt on top and the dish is ready to enter the oven.

Bake for about 30 minutes. I put the broiler on for 3 minutes at the end to get some extra heat on top. If you look from the side (assuming you have a glass dish) you should see all the cheese completely spread throughout the dish.

Enjoy your meal !

The extremely gooey cheese with its wonderful taste, the perfectly cooked potato slices and the tasty onion/bacon bits make for a really hearty dish. Serve with some salad.

Serves four very hungry people, or around six if you have an appetizer+dessert as well.

Dartastic

I may be a little wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure this is my first IronGAF post! I made some Shakshuka the other night. Oh buddy. Gotta make this again soon.

a2mVGxc.jpg

Easy_G

I may be a little wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure this is my first IronGAF post! I made some Shakshuka the other night. Oh buddy. Gotta make this again soon.

a2mVGxc.jpg

I saw somebody make this earlier in the thread and how I really want to try it. Did you use a particular recipe?

Also, how do you serve it? It seems soft so I imagine you just spoon it out on a plate and try to keep the eggs intact.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Disclaimer: Make sure to get at least an hour of intensive physical exercise in on the day you make this dish, else you'll feel guilty for a week :)

Time for the ultimate winter food

I found a nice block of Reblochon cheese in a Belgian supermarket (French chain actually), which reminded me of my favorite dish when I go skiing in the (French) Alps: Tartiflette

Nice! Had that when I was in Megéve over New Years. It was...cheesy :D Glad I had a few hours of heavy skiing beforehand. Going back this year as well, might have to try it again.

Mekere

Made a Chicken gallantine today.

Free range chicken, deboned and filled with a Swiss chard/ garlic stuffing. Before cooking:
IMG_20131215_133949.jpg

After cooking:
IMG_20131215_141327.jpg

I must have messed up at one point while de-boning the chicken because the skin was a bit ripped at one part. But it looked quite nice anyway and was really tasty.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Who's that handsome guy in zee pic?

And congrats on the early approval! looking forward to hearing from your progress there.

@all: thanks to all of you for your contributions, it's been a great year so far.

Dartastic

I saw somebody make this earlier in the thread and how I really want to try it. Did you use a particular recipe?

Also, how do you serve it? It seems soft so I imagine you just spoon it out on a plate and try to keep the eggs intact.

I didn't really use a particular recipe... I kinda just jumbled together some of what I saw on the internets in various recipes and gave it a go. It turned out fantastic though, so yeah. Hah.

It's real simple to make. Two cloves of garlic and half a white or yellow onion (diced) into 1/4 a cup of olive oil. Start cooking that for a minute or two, and then add one diced red and one diced green pepper in there. I tried strips of red and green pepper, and I'm convinced that if you dice them it'll be better. Cook it for a couple minutes until everything looks good. Add a can of diced tomatoes with the juice. 3/4 teaspoon cumin, smoked paprika, and some sort of spicy stuff to kick it up. I think I used cayenne. Stir it all together, and taste it. Adjust spices accordingly. Let it simmer until it reduces a bit, crack an appropriate number of eggs on it and pop it into a 400 degree oven until the eggs are at their desired doneness. I like em runny, so it was in there for around 4 ~ 5 minutes. I added some parmesan at the end, and it really was great.

As far as serving it, I say you should probably just stick it in the middle of the table, get a loaf of bread and let people attack it. Haha. It's basically a thick tomato sauce. Makes great leftovers too, because you can just microwave it, fry an egg and put it on top, and voila. I'm sure you could augment it by maybe cooking some sausage or something in with the onions and peppers. As it stands though, it's great.

Made a quick crayfish salad for tonight's dinner as both me and the lady came home late.

crayfish.jpg

Stir greek yoghurt, some fine chopped garlic, two tsp dill, some ktechup, salt and pepper together. Then add crayfish, cucumber, tomatos and whatelse you like (avocado). Served on light toasted bread, with lettuce and lemon.

Silkworm

Made a quick crayfish salad for tonight's dinner as both me and the lady came home late.

crayfish.jpg

Stir greek yoghurt, some fine chopped garlic, two tsp dill, some ktechup, salt and pepper together. Then add crayfish, cucumber, tomatos and whatelse you like (avocado). Served on light toasted bread, with lettuce and lemon.

I always think of crawfish as being a solely Louisianan/deep south type of thing from the US, and yet here is Metroid eating it in Scandinavia. Of course understandably there's a lot of seafood dishes in that area of the world, so it's not so surprising I suppose upon reflection. Now I have a hankering for crawfish etouffee :-D Your crawfish salad looks simple and delicious, Metroid :)

Yes Boss!

I always think of crawfish as being a solely Louisianan/deep south type of thing from the US, and yet here is Metroid eating it in Scandinavia. Of course understandably there's a lot of seafood dishes in that area of the world, so it's not so surprising I suppose upon reflection. Now I have a hankering for crawfish etouffee :-D Your crawfish salad looks simple and delicious, Metroid :)

It is funny...my brother's girlfriend is swedish and many years I've been over there for the holidays and they do the crawfish thingie. It was new to me as well.

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (December)

Orange Honey Cake

orangehoneycake1.jpg

orangehoneycake2.jpg

Honey cakes are very popular in Denmark during christmas and you can find them in a great varierty of shapes and types. This one is one of my favorites, as it reminds me of the honey cakes I bought from bakeries as little. The buttercream is not quite spot-on, but that could just be the nostalgia talking. I'm always surprised how much a role the marmalade plays into the overall taste. You would think that such a thin layer of mostly sugar wouldn't matter that much, but it somehow interacts with both the buttercream and the honey cake and enhances the taste greatly. If you don't have orange you can easily substitute with apricot jam, I just wanted to add the extra touch of orange as they are in season right now. It should be noted that my cake rose a lot and ended up with the dome shape, now it's common that honey bread will rise more in the middle, but in this instance it was a bit extreme.
As you can see from the list of spices, the cake is extremely aromatic, the honey, syrup and dark sugar also adds to this. It's also on the sweet side, but consumed with a glass of milk, it will turn into a heavenly experience.

~Recipe~
Yields: 22 cm cake, 12-15 servings

Ingredients
Orange Honey Cake
125 g dark syrup (substitute with light molasses if unavailable, not dark corn syrup)
125 g honey
50 g dark muscovado sugar
75 ml water
300 g hvedemel
1½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
Juice and zest from 1 orange
100 g candied orange peel
50 ml buttermilk

Buttercream
125 g butter, room temperature
125 g powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp whole milk
200 g orange marmalade

Topping
100 g dark sweet/bittersweet chocolate
75 ml cream
25 g butter
100 g almond​

Directions
Orange Honey Cake
- If you make your own candied orange peel, start by making them the day before or a few hours before making the cake.
- Add syrup, honey, muscovado sugar and water in a sauce pan and let it simmer at low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Transfer the syrup to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- In another bowl sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda, the spices and salt and set aside.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C. Prepare a 22 cm springform with parchment paper and grease it.
- Beat the eggs into the cooled syrup one at a time, then add the egg yolks and beat. Add the flour mixture, orange juice and zest, the candied peel and buttermilk and stir until the batter is uniform.
- Pour into the springform and bake at 170°C for 50-60 minutes, or until a wooden stick comes out with some crumbs attached to it (if it comes out clean, the cake will be dry). Cool on rack while making the buttercream.

Buttercream
- Mix the ingredients in a medium bowl and beat at high speed for 5 minutes.
- With a serrated knife, cut the cake into 3 layers and brush the two bottoms with orange marmalade, then spread the buttercream ontop. Assemble the cake and cool in fridge.

Topping
- Cut almonds into small chuncks, roast on dry frying pan until they turn golden. Set aside.
- Warm the cream over a hot waterbath. Cut the chocolate into fine pieces and add chocolate and butter to the cream once it's warm to the touch. Gently stir until the chocolate is incorporated fully. Carefully pour the chocolate ganache over the cake in the middle and spread out with a spatula if necessary. Sprinkle the almonds over the ganache.
- Serve the cake once the ganache has set, or store in fridge, but take the cake out at least 30 minutes before serving then.​
Recipe adapted from a Dr. Oetker pamphlet

orangehoneycake3.jpg

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (December)

Orange Chocolate Mousse

orangechocolatemousse1.jpg

orangechocolatemousse2.jpg

It's been too long since I had a chocolate mousse. And no it's not because I don't make chocolate mousse that often, it's the opposite really. I constantly find ways to incorporate chocolate mousse into layered cakes or as filling, etc. But to enjoy a great chocolate mousse on it's own is not to be without either. The kind of chocolate mousse I use for cakes and so on are most often the simple kind, because they have to be quick to make and not too special so that they don't disturb the overall composition.
With oranges in season I knew I wanted to make one of my absolute favourite of the many chocolate mousse flavour combinations there are out there. At first contact with a spoonful of the mousse, your mind will go, 'hey it's just like any other good chocolate mousse', but wait a few seconds and the orange hint will kick in and blend perfectly with the chocolate. And what better way to present the mousse in than some fine looking oranges. Now that is a worthy serving of a stand-alone mousse.

~Recipe~
Yields: 6 servings

Ingredients
230 g dark 70% chocolate, choose a good quality
2 tbsp butter
Pinch of salt
125 ml orange juice
350 g sugar
1 tsp fresh grated orange zest
1½ tbsp sugar
3 egg yolks
315 ml heavy cream
6 oranges to serve in​
Directions
- Cut the top of the 6 oranges and remove the pulp, save the juice for the recipe, though you may need more oranges depending on how much juice they contain.
- Place the chocolate, butter, salt, and half of the orange juice into a medium mixing bowl, and place over a hot waterbath. When the chocolate and butter are melted, stir to combine, and remove from the heat.
- In another heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk together the orange zest, sugar, egg yolks, and rest of the orange juice. Cook, stirring constantly over low heat for 2-3 minutes until mixture reaches 70°C.
- Whisk the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture, then place over an ice waterbath to cool. Stir occasionally; mixture needs to be cool to the touch.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks and fold in to the chocolate. Pipe or spoon into the orange shells. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.​

Recipe adapted from Chef John

orangechocolatemousse3.jpg

That looks AMAZING! Like ridiculously so.
Thanks it tasted amazing as well. Had the last orange for breakfast the other day as it was due to be eaten, great way to start the day.

Today I'm not baking anything, but the last 7 days and the next 4 I'm always ending up with something that needs to be made before Christmas eve(or eating it too soon...). Looking forward to the Christmas vacation and hopefully I can keep myself away from the kitchen.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, I'm about to do a christmas thing with my family, and I'm in charge of sliders, ham and turkey. While I have a good idea what to do with the ham and sliders, it'll be my first time roasting turkey. Any tips?

Also made some kai palo, which is basically belly pork and egg stew seasoned with five spice, kecap manis, star anise and soy sauce. As with all asian recipes written for a western audience though I really need to halve the listed amount of sugar seeing that it's a bit too sweet, but otherwise came out fine.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Onkel reminded me of this thread. You guys make me miss cooking.

Anybody familiar with German cooking in here? I'm trying to find a good recipe (with an emphasis on technique) for knödels. I'm still learning German, so finding a site with a recipe that I can navigate is pretty annoying.

So, I'm about to do a christmas thing with my family, and I'm in charge of sliders, ham and turkey. While I have a good idea what to do with the ham and sliders, it'll be my first time roasting turkey. Any tips?

Also made some kai palo, which is basically belly pork and egg stew seasoned with five spice, kecap manis, star anise and soy sauce. As with all asian recipes written for a western audience though I really need to halve the listed amount of sugar seeing that it's a bit too sweet, but otherwise came out fine.

Roasting a turkey: it's just like a giant chicken. Be careful not to overcook the breast meat b/c it gets super dry then. I did a dry brine with salt and pepper and it tasted fine and was less of a hassle than the traditional wet brine. Just make sure to let the outside dry for a few hours, or use a paper towel to pat it dry, and then use a hair dryer to blow the outside more dry if you want a crispy skin.

My mom makes a Chinese version of kai palo, but one thing she does with the hard boiled eggs before putting it in stew is to score the outside with a knife lengthwise, kinda like a long pumpkin. Then the sauce penetrates the egg better.

i don't think i ever seen my parents use star anise making it. only in their stock for pho though. mom does the eggs long enough it matches the color of the meat lol.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, I should have cooked it longer because boiling it the next day again made it more delicious. No pho stock though, but the star anise imparted a pretty nice flavour to it.

My mom makes a Chinese version of kai palo, but one thing she does with the hard boiled eggs before putting it in stew is to score the outside with a knife lengthwise, kinda like a long pumpkin. Then the sauce penetrates the egg better.

Hm, anyone want to take a stab at a vegetarian adaptation of this? We eat a lot of eggs and the idea of getting those into a stew is pretty compelling... didn't find much poking about the interwebs for a non-pork version though.

Our house is madness right now with three guests currently and two more expected, on top of the four of us, and myself and my wife responsible for cooking. Went easy yesterday with grilled cheese on rye, but made loaves of oatmeal-wheat bread today and then my Japanese curry modified/inspired by irongaf. Had it with a simple bok choy and blanched almond salad. Wife is making biscotti right now while I relax with tea and GAF :p.

Plans for Christmas are to make pierogies for Christmas Eve and then an Italian feast for Christmas with ricotta fritters, tiramisu, etc., etc. Will take pictures of anything new and novel.

Antiwhippy

Hm, anyone want to take a stab at a vegetarian adaptation of this? We eat a lot of eggs and the idea of getting those into a stew is pretty compelling... didn't find much poking about the interwebs for a non-pork version though.

Just substitute with tofu. Fried tofu is ideal, but I like momen more.

Just substitute with tofu. Fried tofu is ideal, but I like momen more.

Yep. Fried tofu (cut in half so there's an exposed un-fried side to soak up the sauce) or frozen and then defrosted tofu. When you freeze and defrost tofu, it turns into a sponge.

I've done a veggie version with tofu knots (pressed slices of tofu tied into knots -- we get them at the Chinese market), radish, carrots, and some shittake for umami. I imagine it would work with other spongy types of tofu.

Yeah I'm most interested in how you preserve the unctuousness and fat of the pork, most likely with sauteed mushrooms and liquid for the umami-ness.

Just testing:

Edit: Eh, I'm sort of getting the hang of this (i.e. uploading and sharing pictures) but I'm still not totally satisfied. Anyway, the pic is of Salted Caramel "Ding Dong" Cake I made a while ago. I've finally shared a pic of something I've made... woo :p
Wait, you haven't uploaded an image in this thread before??? I remember you posting in here... forever!? So you've only been commenting and discussing up till now? o_O

Great looking cake btw, unfortunate name though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom