• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

Wow Metroid Killer, those taiwanese cakes *homerdrool* I'll definitely try to make them sometime!

Does anybody know a good fried rice recipe? And also a good bulgur recipe? There is a food place here that serves the best adana and their bulgur is awesome. It's so smooth and tasty, just look at it:

vegetarisk.jpg

http://nprfreshair.tumblr.com/post/66289262914/recipe-ketchup-fried-rice-by-chef-roy-choi

that shit is awesome, great way to get rid of leftovers and/or old stuff.

Fluffy Blueberry Cake

fluffyblueberry1.jpg

fluffyblueberry2.jpg

If you like anything fluffy this cake is just for you! Fluffy marshmallows, fluffy meringue and soft smooth blueberry mousse. If it weren't for the cake layers you would be able to inject the cake intravenously. But we kinda need the cake layers in order to call it a cake with a straight face, and it's to have an element that doesn't fluff up in your mouth. Baking the cake isn't that big of a problem, but assembling it is a sticky mess because of the meringue. As you coat the cake with meringue it will stick to the cake yes, but it will also stick to your spatula, and the second spatula you use to take off the meringue from the first spatula, as well as your fingers when all hope is lost. But there should be plenty of meringue in the recipe for semi screw ups, and if you plan to decorate the cake with mini marshmallows you don't really need to do the meringue coating that well.
We are crazy about meringue in my household and the cake was a sure win. You exchange the mousse and cake layers with your preferred choice, as just in a blueberry mood and had all the blueberry toppings laying around. With marshmallows and meringue, it's a very sweet cake. I've reduced the amount of sugar in the cake and mousse significantly though, just remember to cut thin slices as we are talking about a fluffy 3 layered cake.

fluffyblueberry3.jpg

fluffyblueberry4.jpg

~Recipe~
Yields: ~15-20 servings

Ingredients
Chocolate Cake
80 g unsalted butter, room temperature
150 g sugar
2 eggs
½ tsp vanilla extract
40 g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
140 g flour
120 ml whole milk

Blueberry Mousse
300 ml cream
225 g black currant
50 g sugar
6 gelatin sheets
Juice from half a lemon

Swiss Meringue
150 g egg whites (~5 egg whites)
250 g sugar

Decoration
150 g mini marshmallows
Various blueberry topping (powder, dried, fresh, etc.)

fluffyblueberry5.jpg

fluffyblueberry6.jpg

Directions
Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease three 18 cm spring-forms and line them with parchment paper. If you only have one or two spring-forms you can either choose to bake the entire batch in one form and cut it into three layers after it's been baked, or use the same form three times.
- Mix butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 5 minutes on high speed.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping down unmixed ingredients down from the sides after each egg.
- Turn down the speed and mix in vanilla and cocoa, baking powder and soda and salt until well mixed.
- Add half the flour then all milk, then finish mixing in the remaining flour. Mix well until the batter is uniform.
- Divide batter in the forms and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden stick comes out clean. Let the layers cool slightly in the forms before transferring them to a cooling rack.

Blueberry Mousse
- Soak gelatin sheets in a small bowl of water for 20 minutes.
- Blend blueberries and sugar to a purée. Pour into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whip cream to soft peaks.
- Drain the gelatin sheets from water and place in a small saucepan together with the lemon juice. Melt over low heat or a hot waterbath. Once melted, stir into the blueberry purée.
- Then add 1/3 of the whipped cream to the black currant purée and fold. And the remaining whipped cream and gently fold, until incorporated. If a bit too runny, cool 5 minutes in fridge.
- In a plastic wrap line 18 cm cake ring(or spring-form) place a chocolate cake layer at the bottom pour over half of the mousse, apply the second cake layer, then the second half of the mousse and finally the last cake layer. Depending on how high your form is, you may need to add a second ring of plastic wrap(see picture). Cool in fridge for at least 5 hours or overnight.

Swiss Meringue
- Over a hot waterbath gently whisk egg whites and sugar in a medium bowl(or that of a stand mixer), till it reaches a temperature of 70°C. Take it off the bath and beat at high speeds until it becomes a thick and glossy meringue, around 10 minutes. The bottom of the bowl should feel neutral to the touch.
- Take the form off the cake and spread a layer of meringue with a spatula on the sides and top. Be careful not to pull the spatula straight away from the cake as the meringue will be pulled off the mousse. Transfer the leftover meringue to piping bag and pipe meringue towers on top of the cake.
- Decorate with marshmallows and brown them and the meringue towers with a blowtorch. Apply blueberry topping as you see fit.
- When serving the cake it will most likely be a very sticky situation as both the meringue and marshmallows will make it a hard time for any knife to cut through. A good advice is to dip your sharpest knife in boiling water and dry it just before every single cut.​

fluffyblueberry7.jpg

fluffyblueberry8.jpg

Wow Metroid Killer, those taiwanese cakes *homerdrool* I'll definitely try to make them sometime!

Does anybody know a good fried rice recipe? And also a good bulgur recipe? There is a food place here that serves the best adana and their bulgur is awesome. It's so smooth and tasty, just look at it:

I used to substitute the quinoa in this recipe for bulgur wheat and it was always delicious.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1841634/warm-quinoa-salad-with-grilled-halloumi

Straight buttercream frosting kind of grosses me out; it's far too heavy and sweet. You want Italian buttercream. I never use anything else, unless I need to do decorative piping, where Italian buttercream is a bit too soft and airy for the task.

Maybe a meringue/ganache hybrid is in order. I've made italian meringue a few million times for various recipes when I worked as a chef but I've never found a icing apllication for it that I really enjoyed.

Fluffy Blueberry Cake

fluffyblueberry1.jpg

Wonderful frosting. Then I got scared b/c some of the side char look like faces going "Noooooo don't eat us!"

I haven't had much time to take pics of my meals lately thanks to the baby, but I made some of these for lunch this week.

9c9efae27ef611e384901258b4678a87_8.jpg

Poached salmon, farro, greens, and shaved fennel salad.

cd8b82c07e2311e39d1d0a90bdc567e4_8.jpg

A build-my-own sandwich thing with smoked sardine spread and random veggies to eat.

jred2k

Doe anybody have some experience with making turkey burgers? Looking for either some advice or a good recipe to try. I want to try making some, but I'm worried about them turning out a little bland or dry if I don't have a plan first.

Thanks.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Doe anybody have some experience with making turkey burgers? Looking for either some advice or a good recipe to try. I want to try making some, but I'm worried about them turning out a little bland or dry if I don't have a plan first.

I never use any particular recipe, but my turkey burgers generally include thyme, sage, crushed garlic and/or shallot, red pepper flake, a splash of soy sauce or worcester, and s+p. Not really a fan of using egg or bread crumbs (it's a burger, not meatloaf!) and haven't had any issues with them being dry at all. Just don't overcook them.

Zyzyxxz

Been a long time since I contributed to the thread but some work photos of what may be my final days at my current job. Feel like its time to move on to bigger things and while I learned a lot about Thai food its not my true passion, still I learned to appreciate it and feel I have a good understanding of it yet still much to experience.

Our most popular item and one I'm proud of since the marinade recipe was something I tweaked on myself. It's called "gai yang" meaning grilled chicken served with a spicy papaya salad and sticky rice, very traditional combination.
12006995014_ede08045ac_c.jpg

Khao man gai or Thai style Hainan Chicken, simple but difficult to consistently produce. Although I know my version could be much better the current kitchen isn't set up to produce it the way I would love to ideally.
12006925323_21406b8078_c.jpg

Beef panang curry, love serving it, hate making it though.
12006926113_b0e70193b4_c.jpg

Yum Moo Yang: grilled pork salad w/ chinese celery, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, scallion, cilantro in a spicy dressing.
12006993964_ab8d3917e3_c.jpg

It's too bad I'm done with updating the menu here as I wanted to add a few more things but I'm too physically/emotionally drained to try and lose more sleep to work.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Pork buckwheat meatball w/ horseradish, root veg fritters, quail eggs, sauteed kale
IMG_1809_zps9c3bddc4.jpg

baked pear, brown sugar creme fraiche, blackberry
IMG_1812_zpsa7688faf.jpg

luoapp

Been a long time since I contributed to the thread but some work photos of what may be my final days at my current job. Feel like its time to move on to bigger things and while I learned a lot about Thai food its not my true passion, still I learned to appreciate it and feel I have a good understanding of it yet still much to experience.

A little bit sad seeing you're exhausted from your work. Still remember some of the new dishes you tried and shared with us here. (that lotus roots fry, still want to try it). Please keep post here about your "next bigger things", I am sure lots of us are interested to see what you come up next.

Zyzyxxz

A little bit sad seeing you're exhausted from your work. Still remember some of the new dishes you tried and shared with us here. (that lotus roots fry, still want to try it). Please keep post here about your "next bigger things", I am sure lots of us are interested to see what you come up next.

I'm hoping my new job will eventually lead to a position where I can have a lot of creative control over the menu but I'm happy to be working alongside a chef friend whose willing to let me move up in the world with him.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Great contributions, guys.

Will be moving into my new place soon which hopefully gives me the time and ability to cook and bake a little more again - it has two ovens, a lot more bench space, and a six burner outdoor barbeque!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Been remiss in posting, so here are two ugly pics of a porchetta sandwich I made (or the porchetta was store bought pre-rolled and seasoned).

dyZGPdw.jpg

Served with sauerkraut and mustard

IYWtWln.jpg

I'm hoping my new job will eventually lead to a position where I can have a lot of creative control over the menu but I'm happy to be working alongside a chef friend whose willing to let me move up in the world with him.

Yay congrats on the new job! Curious to see what it is. I hope you get to take a break before starting just to get your energy back. Don't stop posting pics here though =D

Nice. What kind of sauce is that?

Homemade thousand island: mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickles (or capers), Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, black pepper and honey. Pretty much ingredients you probably already have in your refrigerator which is why I never buy thousand island dressing from stores anymore. It tastes 10x better.

Argyle

Let us know where you end up, and I'll come visit next time I am in town (E3?) :)

Zyzyxxz

Let us know where you end up, and I'll come visit next time I am in town (E3?) :)

I'll be working for this restaurant group called Eggslut. Well its only one restaurant now but its gonna expand to another concept soon so I'll be part of working on multiple locations.

----~ Designer Dessert ~---- (January)

Chili Mango Chocolate Cakes

chilichocolatecakes1.jpg

chilichocolatecakes2.jpg

chilichocolatecakes3.jpg

So this is the result after a couple of weeks of experimenting with various chocolate cakes and ways to infuse chili into the cakes. I'm getting there, but I'm still not entirely happy with everything. I've got the chili down, using a very hot japanese chili oil, called rayu, spices the cake just enough so you can feel a tingling in your mouth after you've eaten a bite, yet doesn't give a strong pepper flavour. Chili powder has also worked ok for me, I just haven't found any powders that are hot enough for my taste(a lot of the heat from the chili will be cancelled during the baking process). I've paired the flavours of mango, chili and chocolate which I think is a really great 3 way combo. The chocolate cake which I used was a bit too dense and moist for me and what I wanted out of these smaller cakes, so that defintely needs to be changed before I finalize a recipe. Chocolate ganache is lovely as always, but I think I'll make a more liquid ganache thus a thinner layer next time.
Oh and a final comment. I decorated the cakes with fresh rawit chilis, and as stupid as I was I of course had to see if I could stomach eating one raw. Stupid mistakes, but now I know that I'm neve becoming a chili-eating-youtube-sensation...

I don't think I've showed my new additions to my kitchen because of christmas. I got a new blowtorch which is just awesome. The flame can get really long, and it's very easy to control.
Then I've also gotten the perfect tool for making waterbaths. For a really long time I've used this metal napkin holder and placed at the bottom of a big pot with simmering water, then a glass bowl balancing directly on the napkin holder, touching the water. Not a great nor safe way to make waterbaths. For some reason you can't get double boilers here in Denmark, so when I got this metal bowl with a handle, I was very happy. I've used a lot of times already and it's just so much more effecient.
Last but not least is my Kenwood Titan. I have only used it 3 times, but I can already tell what a big difference it'll mean to my baking process at home.

utensils1.jpg

utensils2.jpg

utensils3.jpg

utensils4.jpg

That final pic...so vibrant! A prime example of why I make a point to try and check in on this topic just prior to dinner time around here---stokes the appetite like nothing else.

Rookje

Is it necessary to really soak rice? I never soak or even wash jasmine rice (just put it right into the rice cooker), but I recently bought some Thai sweet rice and it says to soak it overnight. I don't mind the rice being sticky, I actually prefer it sticky. I just don't want to die if it has to do with some chemical.

Shiina

Is it necessary to really soak rice? I never soak or even wash jasmine rice (just put it right into the rice cooker), but I recently bought some Thai sweet rice and it says to soak it overnight. I don't mind the rice being sticky, I actually prefer it sticky. I just don't want to die if it has to do with some chemical.

Rinsing rice (at least the one I use) is still sticky, it's just much less starchy and soggy.

Oh I meant rinsing it, not soaking it. Sorry. Never heard of soaking rice.

I'm Asian so you know I eat a lot of rice and I have never once thought to soak white rice. Stickiness is actually a factor of what type of rice you're getting, not if you soak it or not. Just rinse the rice 3-4 times and it should be good to go.

I know there's some GABA special brown rice that you need to soak, but I don't think that's what you're talking about, right?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm racking by brain trying to think of what I should make my brother for dinner on Sunday. I want to make something good and complex but he hates overly fancy, trendy food. Any suggestions? The only thing I would say, is he doesn't really like soup and likes hearty food. He likes Mexican food, and isn't picky.

Zyzyxxz

You should always wash your rice don't be lazy the outer hull of rice tends to be dirty.

What you bought was glutinous/sweet rice is meant to be soaked before being steamed. It will clump together easily after cooking. I'm guessing you meant to buy jasmine rice?

yeah remember to rinse your rice. It takes less than a minute.

I'm racking by brain trying to think of what I should make my brother for dinner on Sunday. I want to make something good and complex but he hates overly fancy, trendy food. Any suggestions? The only thing I would say, is he doesn't really like soup and likes hearty food. He likes Mexican food, and isn't picky.
I'm not that experienced in making mexican food, but how about making your own tortilla and filling? Otherwise how about braising a good piece of meat? Oxtails have been really popular in this thread ever since zyzyxxz showed how to do it.

Rookje

You should always wash your rice don't be lazy the outer hull of rice tends to be dirty.

What you bought was glutinous/sweet rice is meant to be soaked before being steamed. It will clump together easily after cooking. I'm guessing you meant to buy jasmine rice?
Nah I wanted Thai sweet rice. I don't rinse or soak jasmine rice so I was hoping I didn't have to do it with this either.

I heard rice originally was meant to be rinsed because it contained asbestos, but it isn't anymore so rinsing isn't as important.

Dereck

I'm a bit of a lazy shit.

Can someone in this thread please give me a good way of seasoning baked skinless chicken thighs without the use of salt at all.

Tried my hand at jalapeño poppers, made from red peppers, bacon and Gruyère cheese

Wow, these look great! A lot better than the usual green kind.

Can someone in this thread please give me a good way of seasoning baked skinless chicken thighs without the use of salt at all.

Skinless AND saltless? Why not just eat a handful of sawdust =( ?

Not really sure how to season things without ANY salt. Maybe marinating it in a thick slather of dijon mustard? Does BBQ sauce count as salt b/c it has salt in it?

thespot84

I'm definitely going to try them out. Perhaps when I'm holding a party, or having a hangover day. ;)

be sure to mix the bacon fat after cooking the bacon in with the cheese for extra bacon-ness, and then be sure not to accidentally serve one's without bacon wrapping (but with filling) to your kosher friends at your superbowl party..... no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom