• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Moules Frites Toasts Beurrés

Wasn't really happy with how this turned out, but it was only a test run so I wasn't too disappointed. I had to make a lot of last minute substitutions and omissions I'd rather not have made, because it's a Sunday and I didn't buy my ingredients ahead of time. Red wine for white wine, garlic powder over fresh garlic (I don't understand this, my family's fridge had like three bulbs the last time I checked and today they were all gone), I had to leave out the leeks as well, and no fries. I figured the fries weren't important, I was grossly mistaken. I've had good mussels, and I've had bad mussels, and these two bowls were firmly in the middle.

The real problem, I think, is that I don't really understand Moules Frites, never having had it before. I've had it described to me, and I've read up on the basic idea, but I don't really know how it's supposed to taste. So, next week's mission is to go find the best Moules Frites in the city to acclimate myself to it before attempting this dish again, which was supposed to be my gift to my mother for her birthday.

Mitigating factor: At least the mussels were fresh. Out of 2 pounds, none of them were cracked or broken and only 3 didn't open correctly after steaming.

Your big misstep was using red wine instead of white. It'd been better if you just used soley butter instead. Red wine has chemicals in it that cause off taste with shellfish.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Noted, I'll never make this substitution again.

Anyone know of a good simple, healthy, cheap and low salt recipe for Chicken leg quarters, drumsticks and thighs?

My chicken usually takes bland and really shitty whenever I bake it with just salt and pepper. I bake it at 350 degree Fahrenheit, but I'm not sure of a good temperature. I'm a complete noob.

Help me Iron Chef!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Truffle oil.

I may or may not have interests in the truffle biz.

But look for herbs. There are many ready to use mixes specially concocted for chicken. Oregano, parsley, black pepper and salt make for a good mix. You can add rosemary or paprika if you feel adventurous, or just look for the many Sriracha recipes out there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
1) Thyme and/or Rosemary. Whole sprigs, forming a kind of bed for the chicken so their aromatics evaporate "into" the chicken.

2) Olive oil
(or Truffle oil if you can afford that stuff)
rubbed over the skin.

3) Garlic cloves, either whole and nestled into their folds, or minced and rubbed all over the skin and the underside.

4) Other spices I like to use with chicken: Coriander, Cumin, Paprika, Chili Powder. Mostly for a little color in the skin.

Chef John has a nice recipe called "Duck Two Ways". I used this recipe a lot while I was in college and subbed out duck for chicken. Here's the video, skip to 3:30 for the baked thighs. I wouldn't bake chicken breasts because they dry out really fast, a quick sear is all they need. Keep the skin on because it helps to insulate the chicken meat during cooking so it doesn't dry out too quickly.

Another chicken recipe I found recently. Very low sodium, requires a few East Asian ingredients you might not have on hand, but can be bought at any chain supermarket.

Anyone know of a good simple, healthy, cheap and low salt recipe for Chicken leg quarters, drumsticks and thighs?

My chicken usually takes bland and really shitty whenever I bake it with just salt and pepper. I bake it at 350 degree Fahrenheit, but I'm not sure of a good temperature. I'm a complete noob.

Help me Iron Chef!

Is it bland because of the low salt? Are you doing low salt because of health reasons? Not really sure what other spice can replace salt since salt is what brings the flavor out in most things. Have you tried rubbing the pieces in butter before you bake?

Is it bland because of the low salt? Are you doing low salt because of health reasons? Not really sure what other spice can replace salt since salt is what brings the flavor out in most things. Have you tried rubbing the pieces in butter before you bake?

I put on salt, but because of my Hyper tension blood pressure, I need to cut down on the salt.

Do you like spicy stuff? Maybe a lot of cracked black pepper will make it more flavorful? Same with cayenne pepper. I'm really stumped about how to make chicken, which I think is bland in general, more flavorful without salt.

Zyzyxxz

I put on salt, but because of my Hyper tension blood pressure, I need to cut down on the salt.

If you need to cut down on salt replace it with acid.

Lemon/lime juice, balsmic vinegar + olive oil combinations, marinading with fruits? I can't really work without salt since it's drilled into me through work.

Yes Boss!

Made a classic french potatoes gratinee. Just yukon golds, butter, heavy cream, gruyere, salt, pepper, garlic, a bit of fresh thyme, fresh parsley and cooked for one hour.

Raw:

E2FDC5FB-5B8A-41F8-80C9-A6BA66B59680_zps8svhdzci.jpg

Cooked:

[
FDA8F761-D347-450F-83F7-4895D8351C23_zps6ooq9gsw.jpg

Set and ready to serve:

7173AA2A-007F-4DB5-A30C-4E08A65562B5_zpseniizrrw.jpg

Yes Boss!

I guess I'll share a few other things I've made in the last two weeks. I've decided to get back into cooking a bit and choose to bake one new thing each week for 52 weeks. Aim is to participate in this thread again!

Fruit Tart:

CB78E130-B829-4C5C-A15E-1D62F5AF0756_zpsnxuxhbyu.jpg

Classic American Cheescake:

00E1E078-ED3A-4920-A925-615750E7C246_zps00dpsnfm.jpg

Chocolate/Almond/Raspberry Layer Torte:

73C844DA-00D9-4E33-ACCA-BCD296867C9A_zpshct5edxl.jpg

Good Old Palak Paneer with Fresh Paneer:

F4ADB452-CEFF-4B82-8C3C-A87B2050BD55_zps7edjke6p.jpg

Yes Boss!

omg...what's inside? Recipe plz?

The others look really nice too.

It was a flour-less torte...made with roasted and ground almonds, five eggs for rise. It has a raspberry and marnier compote and I use ghiradelli bittersweet bars for the ganache and melted into the batter. It was an America's Test Kitchen recipe:

Cake and Filling:

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine (see note)
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1 3/4 cups (about 7 ounces) sliced almonds, lightly toasted
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (1 1/4 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon table salt
5 large eggs
3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar
1/2 cup fresh raspberries, plus 16 individual berries for garnishing cake
1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam

Chocolate Ganache Glaze:

5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine (see note)
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream

Also made some Coq au vin last night (with drumsticks):

910CA989-3E45-4E37-A9F2-3D90E2E4C2DF_zpsbaigei5z.jpg

Gibbo

Yes Boss! ,ive made the raspberry torte( assuming its the americas test kitchen receipe) many time. Its easily one of my favourite cake to make :) its quite fragile tho, so its usually a heart stopping process to put the two pieces together. Fucking delicious tho

For 4th of July I made a little batch of beer-candied bacon. :D

w6mPxc1.jpg

Recommend using thicker bacon than I did, though, unless you like a bit of char about the edges.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Thanks! They glistened so beautifully in the light... And they're really simple. You, too, can have beer-candied bacon if you wish it.

Success! To compound your punch gut, I might make a fresh batch tomorrow and then incorporate them into cupcakes.

So that's a thing.

I think I'm going to lick the screen clean.

I just may have to try it.

Thick bacon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 ish cup beer (I used Golden Ale, some use stout)

1) Preheat oven to 400
2) Put strips of bacon on a raised rack over a baking tin. Cook for 10 ish mins
3) While bacon is cooking up a bit, mix the beer and brown sugar to make a thin syrup (don't worry if it's a bit watery)
4) Take bacon out and brush one side with the syrup. Flip and brush the other side
5) Turn oven down a bit and cook for a few mins
6) Take bacon out, brush both sides, and put back in oven
7) Keep repeating this until you have a nice layer of beer-sugar glaze on the bacon and the bacon is a rich red color (fully cooked and coated)
8) Remove and let sit for 20 mins or more (cool down + firming up)
9) Serve as appetizer or crumble and add to other delicious items like cupcakes...

*Warning: At the end it cooks VERY fast. Keep a close eye on it.

So that's a thing.

I think I'm going to lick the screen clean.

Picture this...

A sea of golden, fluffy hills pierced by gleaming red and pink jewels like porky dolphins slicing majestically through tranquil cakeseas...

Melchiah

Thick bacon
1/2 cup brown sugar

1) Preheat oven to 400
3) While bacon is cooking up a bit, mix the beer and brown sugar to make a thin syrup (don't worry if it's a bit watery)
4) Take bacon out and brush one side with the syrup. Flip and brush the other side
7) Keep repeating this until you have a nice layer of beer-sugar glaze on the bacon and the bacon is a rich red color (fully cooked and coated)
9) Serve as appetizer or crumble and add to other delicious items like cupcakes...

Thanks for the recipe.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Thick bacon
1/2 cup brown sugar

1) Preheat oven to 400

Thanks.

I am making a decadent banquet tomorrow for a friend who just competed and won a body building competition last weekend, so this will go down a treat.

Thanks for the recipe.

Sure! Hope it comes out well! It's very simple, but in the end you get kind of an eye-popping result (pretty damn tasty too). I burnt the shit out of my test batch, though, so just keep on it, and it should come out all right. :)

Made some panna cotta with mango and draginfruit:

7C969A65-2B85-403B-8368-004F555725C3_zpsljf5llpp.jpg

You're pretty great at these dessert things. Just sayin'.

Thanks.

I am making a decadent banquet tomorrow for a friend who just competed and won a body building competition last weekend, so this will go down a treat.

No prob. Gotta spread the bacon/beer love. Really recommend the thickest, saltiest bacon you can find, though. I'm in OZ and the bacon here isn't like US stuff, so it was a bit lighter than I wanted on the salty-sweet contrast, but still really good. And it's definitely a decadent treat. Hope your friend likes it. ^_^

This weeks highlights.

Garlic Ginger Shrimp Stir Fry with homemade tagliatelle.

jI1yyYk.jpg

I just ate, but this is piquing my appetite again. Beautiful.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Gorgeous dishes all over this thread. Me? I'm afraid it's soup and egg whites omelet for today, but I'm about to hit the market for two kilos of pork shoulder and two kilos of chicken. I intend to fill the freezer with tons of savoury pulled pork and Sriracha breasts. That programmable cooker is getting WORK.

Mmmm...

Edit: H.Protagonist, my suprarenal glands are asking for some pictures of those bacon cupcakes, BTW. Those two are getting work, too.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I have some pork belly cooling in stock in a pressure cooker as we speak (cooked it for 40-ish minutes). Will let it sit for a while and pick up flavor from the stock, and then crisp it up in the oven. I think. Will make sandwiches or something tonight and tomorrow.

Yes Boss!

You're pretty great at these dessert things. Just sayin'.

Thanks! Yeah, it is pretty great to get back into making/baking a few things. Been a few years so I wanna do some things each week for the next year. Can be quite challenging because I barely have a kitchen...no oven, range, etc. But it is fun to work in a limited way!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The best part about living in the centre is ready access to the city's biggest produce market. Besides half a small farm worth of cute dread creatures I just bought 1.5 kg of giant tomatoes, two potatoes, three huge green bell peppers, one giant leek, six sweet onions and 1 kg of french horn mushrooms for about €5. And all of it of the highest quality.

Right now I'm only hitting the supermarket for diet soda and canned tuna.

Also, my parent just passed by with about 5 kg of cherries from the fam's plantation. Those are the ones that were too ripe for shipment. They are downright sinful. So engorged and soft the seed peel from the flesh just by putting them in your mouth.

TyPVoNc.jpg

Some of the ones from the last week.

They have about 50 kg of them and they don't know what the heck they are going to do with them. I'm thinking preserves.

Yes Boss!

Got a small Weber Grill today. Tried out a Ribeye on it. Not sure if it came out rare or medium-rare, but it was excellent and very tender.

Raw:

BC84D9A5-67FC-4D35-A815-CE77A6FF6495_zpsuimul1cm.jpg

Cooked:

F3BE508D-BEF4-48F0-976F-302C571144EC_zpswwsocyoc.jpg

Cut:

D18C20C0-6827-42D2-83EE-B0C56D42BAAE_zpsq7afoqby.jpg

Konka

Banned
THnq6S0.jpg

SJ0wbwp.jpg

YcqOUK7.jpg

fpQyLjQ.jpg

1HwsP9P.jpg

uRaIgNM.jpg

SIJQaxz.jpg

Memphis rubbed ribs with a Carolina vinegar bbq mop served with shaved sautéed brussel sprouts and grilled yellow corn.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Damn. I need to learn to cook ribs. Those look awesome.

Had my feast this evening including the candied bacon, marinated lamb skewers, salmon fettuccine, roast pork and roast vegetables, and apple pie and vanilla icecream.

I totally underestimated how long the candied bacon would take, so was still in the middle of doing it when the guests arrived, and had to shuffle it into second place and serve it still wet and unset. It still reaped praise, but I feel if I'd done it properly it would have gone down even better.

Didn't really stop to take photos apart from the below. Six people total including 4 strapping lads, so I had two cuts of pork belly served with apple sauce, plum sauce, and roast potatoes, kumara, and yams (cooked in the bacon fat from the candied bacon!). Was cooked perfectly even if I do say so myself. Really happy how it turned out, and getting more confident every time I make this dish.

Edit: H.Protagonist, my suprarenal glands are asking for some pictures of those bacon cupcakes, BTW. Those two are getting work, too.

Got some thick primo speck and I'm going to candy then cube it and drop it in some cupcakes. Wish me luck, FP!

Thanks! Yeah, it is pretty great to get back into making/baking a few things. Been a few years so I wanna do some things each week for the next year. Can be quite challenging because I barely have a kitchen...no oven, range, etc. But it is fun to work in a limited way!

Wow. You'd never know from the stuff you're putting out. Looks great, and I like the goal direction. It's pretty satisfying to make something. ^_^

Damn. I need to learn to cook ribs. Those look awesome.

Had my feast this evening including the candied bacon, marinated lamb skewers, salmon fettuccine, roast pork and roast vegetables, and apple pie and vanilla icecream.

I totally underestimated how long the candied bacon would take, so was still in the middle of doing it when the guests arrived, and had to shuffle it into second place and serve it still wet and unset. It still reaped praise, but I feel if I'd done it properly it would have gone down even better.

Didn't really stop to take photos apart from the below. Six people total including 4 strapping lads, so I had two cuts of pork belly served with apple sauce, plum sauce, and roast potatoes, kumara, and yams (cooked in the bacon fat from the candied bacon!). Was cooked perfectly even if I do say so myself. Really happy how it turned out, and getting more confident every time I make this dish.

Aw, sorry, man. I used really thin strips when I did mine (and only one rack). Took maybe an hour all said and done (including cooling). I should have noted that in the recipe. Glad it was a nice bite even a bit unset still. The rest of your feast looks amazing anyway. Pork belly is king. :)

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Aw, sorry, man. I used really thin strips when I did mine (and only one rack). Took maybe an hour all said and done (including cooling). I should have noted that in the recipe. Glad it was a nice bite even a bit unset still. The rest of your feast looks amazing anyway. Pork belly is king. :)

No, was my fault. I left it too late and made a critical tactical error by trying to make too much across a tray with a rack and a separate rack. The logistics got screwed because it couldn't pull out the tray or the rack without bacon grease ending up in the oven or on the floor meaning I had to devise a convoluted and cumbersome system of rotating out the rashers to apply the baste.

Still turned out good, but I know what I have to do next time to cut down the work and make them taste even better.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Got some thick primo speck and I'm going to candy then cube it and drop it in some cupcakes. Wish me luck, FP!
I can't wait to see that. The description alone is kind of sensual already.

Right now I'm working on the brine for my first attempt at Sriracha pulled pork. Let's see how that works.

SIJQaxz.jpg

Memphis rubbed ribs with a Carolina vinegar bbq mop served with shaved sautéed brussel sprouts and grilled yellow corn.

Food poooooooorn. Wish it were warm enough to backyard BBQ here right now.

No, was my fault. I left it too late and made a critical tactical error by trying to make too much across a tray with a rack and a separate rack. The logistics got screwed because it couldn't pull out the tray or the rack without bacon grease ending up in the oven or on the floor meaning I had to devise a convoluted and cumbersome system of rotating out the rashers to apply the baste.

Still turned out good, but I know what I have to do next time to cut down the work and make them taste even better.

Ah, yeah. Tough when you're juggling, especially with the glaze. It kind of sops everywhere and takes time to build up/have coats stick. Worth the effort once it's done and chilled, though. So red and pretty.

EDIT: Speak of the devil.

Here you go, FP.

I'm including a picture of the spec because it's far prettier than the 'cupcakes' (made them more corn bread-y). Those came out fairly dense (but super moist) and look every bit slopped in because I couldn't be bothered with presentation. Tasted pretty good, though. Light and sweet with a hit of crack. ;)

Beer-Candied Speck:

Cupcakes(?) w/ Beer-Candied Speck

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Those meats. Oh, those meats. I'm not even a big fan of pork ribs, but some of those photos look incredible.

I'm including a picture of the spec because it's far prettier than the 'cupcakes' (made them more corn bread-y). Those came out fairly dense (but super moist) and look every bit slopped in because I couldn't be bothered with presentation. Tasted pretty good, though. Light and sweet with a hit of crack. ;)

Beer-Candied Speck:

Cupcakes(?) w/ Beer-Candied Speck
Those look great! Kind of like berry muffins, but 100% more porcine and at least twice as fatty. Were they overtly sweet or noticeably savoury? They somehow remind me of my cafeteria's Coke infused chorizo muffin tapas (that's a thing).

Also, I'm surprised by the amount of work required to make some sriracha pulled pork. I've spent over an hour just making the rub and getting the brin ready. This is the first time I'm making pulled pork, so I hope it goes well. Worst case scenario, I'll smother it with BBQ sauce.

Talking about sauces, what's the consensus on Jack Daniel's?

Easy_G

I'm making hamburgers tonight and I typically get fresh ground beef and cook them medium/medium-rare with minimal seasonings. My one complaint is that they turn out too soft. There's no real bite to them, texture-wise. It's like I could eat them without even chewing. Any tips on making them a bit firmer? I'm thinking that maybe I need to pack them tight when I form them, or maybe the fat content is too high, but I'd be open to recommendations.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm making hamburgers tonight and I typically get fresh ground beef and cook them medium/medium-rare with minimal seasonings. My one complaint is that they turn out too soft. There's no real bite to them, texture-wise. It's like I could eat them without even chewing. Any tips on making them a bit firmer? I'm thinking that maybe I need to pack them tight when I form them, or maybe the fat content is too high, but I'd be open to recommendations.

Could try forming them a bit tighter then sticking them back in the fridge for a few hours.

GiJoccin

cook them at higher heat, get the crunch on the top and bottom?

soft burgers are what i always aim for, loosely put together meat, but if you don't want that, then working the meat a bit more would definitely make them firmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom