• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
5axxzlz.jpg

Yeah, it was just as good as it looks.

zbarron

Just picked this up:

517BQgzhYzL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's really great. Can't wait to start making stuff.

That's awesome. Have you baked many breads before? In the past few months I've been in a bread making kick. I actually have a sandwich loaf in the oven right now.

We just bought a new car and between that the two new cats and the fridge dying twice budget is tight currently so no fancy food this week. We are going to be doing a lot of bread, pasta, potatoes, eggs, beans and other cheap foods.

Edit:It's done.
16777746906_107ec493e9_h.jpg

I'll have to wait until it cools to see how it looks on the inside and tastes.

It's this recipe. http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-basic-white-sandwich-bread-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-166588

I just wanted something I could whip up for lunch.

entremet

That's awesome. Have you baked many breads before? In the past few months I've been in a bread making kick. I actually have a sandwich loaf in the oven right now.

We just bought a new car and between that the two new cats and the fridge dying twice budget is tight currently so no fancy food this week. We are going to be doing a lot of bread, pasta, potatoes, eggs, beans and other cheap foods.

Edit:It's done.
16777746906_107ec493e9_h.jpg

I'll have to wait until it cools to see how it looks on the inside and tastes.

It's this recipe. http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-basic-white-sandwich-bread-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-166588

I just wanted something I could whip up for lunch.

I used to make challah. I then went on a low carb bread is evil kick. I've relented the past few years I've leaned more about nutrition. I've always loved baking bread, but I wanted to take my skills to another level.

le-seb

I did some serious cooking today:

Filet-mignon de porc au cidre et au cèpes, et sa purée de pommes de terre
CIMG0870_v1.JPG

Pork filet mignon slowly cooked in a cider and porcini mushroom sauce.
The meat came out tender and tasty, and I'm super glad how my mashed potatoes turned out being light, full of air.
Took me nearly 45 minutes cooking that gigantic potato, though, which disturbed my plans and almost caused me eating cold meat.

Tartelettes au citron meringuées
CIMG0859_v1.JPG

CIMG0879_v1.JPG

In my (never ending) quest to a good tasting lemon tart, I've come across a very nice recipe.
Unlike my previous try, this one tasted great. Will cook again.
Had fun making my first Italian meringue, too, it was way easier than I thought it would be.

zbarron

I used to make challah. I then went on a low carb bread is evil kick. I've relented the past few years I've leaned more about nutrition. I've always loved baking bread, but I wanted to take my skills to another level.
I too baked Challah when I was younger. Last year I got a sudden craving for real soft pretzels and the frozen store bought ones just wouldn't do so I baked my own. Really though it wasn't until this article was posted that I really got into it.
Everything You Need to Know to Start Baking Awesome Bread
Throughout this thread you can find most of my attempts at this one recipe and how they've mostly gotten better and better. It really opened up a new dimension of cooking for me.

Tartelettes au citron meringuées
CIMG0859_v1.JPG
That's the money shot. Holy hell that looks delicious.

Weekend cooking. We've been making a pizza with red onions, mushrooms, and spicy olives which is pretty tasty, plus the usual pesto base and tomato base for the girls:

pizza-three-kinds.jpg

Eldest requested carrot cake for this weekend's dessert:

carrot-cake.jpg

Yeah, that's how we plate around here. Sliced:

carrot-cake-slice.jpg

This was based off of the CI recipe, buttermilk powder in the frosting to give it a little tang. Was nice.

I also made my usual four loaves but we've all seen that. I didn't use oatmeal this time at daughters' request and instead of doing a half baking/half wheat, did a half baking/half white wheat, and man that dough. So soft. So smooth, so pliant. Came out like super fluffy sandwich bread.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This weekend I made calçots (green onions) with romesco. I don't have a yard to roast them, but I cooked them in the oven and they were delicious.

It was just as simple as cleaning the outer part of the plant, throwing the entire bunch in a tray and set it to 180ºC until they browned. Then you grab them while they are hot, peel the now crusty exterior and dip the softer layers into the sauce. No oil nor salt needed. So simple yet incredibly tasty.

Just some prudent advice: it'll give you the most persistent farts.

Now I'm not exactly a person who gets all gassed up despite my copious intake of legumes and whey protein, but for some reason green onions did an absolute number on my digestive tract, and my girlfriend is going through the same thing. Absolutely vile stuff in terms of quantity and quality. I highly recommend the recipe, but try to avoid it at all costs if you plan to meet with the family or go to work on the next day. My daily emissions could probably power the entire block for a week.

So there's my totally recommended yet totally gross experience with green onions.

Edit: Oh my, those pies and cakes.

Took my Costco cash back rebate and treated myself to some prime Filet.

16811426006_803b9ccc02_c.jpg

So damn tender, well worth smoking up the apartment to make.

The taters were the show stealer. Took the recipe from America's Test Kitchen they were the roasted smashed taters.

16649723098_c8350b7572_c.jpg

Preheat oven to 500F, put the taters in a sheet tray, 3/4c of water, wrap tightly with foil. Took 25-30 minutes. Take out, remove foil, drain the water. Sit for 10 minutes to cool, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, whatever herbs you want. Take another sheet tray and press down to smash the taters into little discs. Put back on top rack in oven for 10 minutes, then move to bottom tray for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Had a dinner party tonight. First for a while.

Thai noodle salad
10995132_806162979468558_1180097357_n.jpg

Pork belly with marinated cranberries and roast vegetables
11055456_1418676275100635_1577800610_n.jpg

Apple, pear, and blueberry crumble with custard and "smokey pokey" salted caramel icecream
11055872_1546004962331516_2062244831_n.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Very nice! How long did you spend cooking, total?

There were only the 3 courses as shown and 6 people to feed, but I spent about 3 hours straight in prep, cooking, and plating. Dinner was served over the course of 60 mins from the first dish to the last.

I had a 2 hours headstart from 6pm before anybody arrived which gave me the time to get the pork roasting and to prep the apple crumble and other bits and pieces.

Was a little frantic at times given I was taking care of serving drinks as well and was learning to make custard on the fly, but for the most part everything was staged and timed well, and I had the opportunity to pause, chat and eat too.

zbarron

I am going to give this quick Brioche Recipe a try for dinner tonight.
http://sophistimom.com/brioche-magimix/

I also bought a big green cabbage yesterday so I am probably making a Cabbage and Potato soup with it.

I will post results tonight. There was a beautiful Brioche posted in this thread several page back but I don't have the time to dedicate to something like that today. I hope this is at least decent.

zbarron

The Brioche came out great. The recipe I posted only called for 1 cup of flour and I ended up basically doubling that. A lot of comments said they added more flour and other recipes I found called for a higher ratio of flour. Anyone here with Brioche experience have an opinion on if it's too little or I added too much?
16669613288_b74c2c92a5_h.jpg

16671640758_459447d8ee_h.jpg

Not counting spices this recipe only used 5 ingrediants (cabbage, potatoes, garlic, olive oil, and chicken stock) I even used a smaller variety of spices (smoked paprika, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper) than I normally do in soup. I will say though it was bursting with flavor.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The Brioche came out great. The recipe I posted only called for 1 cup of flour and I ended up basically doubling that. A lot of comments said they added more flour and other recipes I found called for a higher ratio of flour. Anyone here with Brioche experience have an opinion on if it's too little or I added too much?

The recipe you posted says 2 cups of flour, not 1; did you only do a half recipe or did you misread it initially?

Regardless, it's a much lower ratio of flour to liquids than I would typically use, but not unreasonable. It would result in an even lighter, fluffier final bread, with the tradeoff being a raw dough that's harder to manage. That she adds the sugar and butter right from the start also contributes to a more tender crumb, because one would usually allow the gluten to develop for several minutes in the mixer before the addition of those ingredients.

This page might be top 5 in the IronGAF history books, good lord. Lots of great stuff here.

I made some quick and dirty oysters to test my execution, and they came out pretty damn good. I'll incorporate them in an actual dish soon.

9SNrypL.jpg

sK1ipGS.jpg

pJyt6I6.jpg

zbarron

The recipe you posted says 2 cups of flour, not 1; did you only do a half recipe or did you misread it initially?

Regardless, it's a much lower ratio of flour to liquids than I would typically use, but not unreasonable. It would result in an even lighter, fluffier final bread, with the tradeoff being a raw dough that's harder to manage. That she adds the sugar and butter right from the start also contributes to a more tender crumb, because one would usually allow the gluten to develop for several minutes in the mixer before the addition of those ingredients.

Whoops. I did 2 cups. I convent all volume to weight for bread recipes and I forgot that 250 grams of AP Flour was two cups not one. Maybe with an autolyse or bread flour I could see this recipe working but when I followed the recipe the dough felt like cake batter not bread dough and I'm used to high hydration dough. Without the rest in the fridge I just didn't see how I could form the dough into the shape I wanted so I added more flour.

Maybe another week I'll throw caution to the wind, ignore my instincts and do the recipe exactly as written and see what comes of it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
In case anyone was wondering, pureed chicken livers do not look all that appetizing.
I'll link it so as not to ruin the page :p

http://i.imgur.com/Ek23VNZ.jpg?1

Made this recipe by Kenji The Best Slow-Cooked Bolognese Sauce

It was done at 23:30, so results will have to wait until tonight.

Oooohhhh... I'm super interested about the results. I saw that recipe and it definitely picked my interest, even if I rarely eat pasta these days. I've recreated Serious Eats' NY style pizza tomato sauce recipe a bunch of times (over 4 hours of cooking for a small pot of tomato sauce, lel) and it's been stellar every single time.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This may very well be the smartest thing I've seen today: the never ending soup pot (aka: how to make several different dishes from a single sop pout).

I may have to adapt it due to my dieting requirements, but I plan to give it a try next week. It could be an interesting way to upgrade the boring veggie soups I usually make for dinner.

zbarron

This may very well be the smartest thing I've seen today: the never ending soup pot (aka: how to make several different dishes from a single sop pout).

I may have to adapt it due to my dieting requirements, but I plan to give it a try next week. It could be an interesting way to upgrade the boring veggie soups I usually make for dinner.

That's an awesome idea. As I'm sure you can tell from my posts soup is a staple over here. My only concern is a safety one. I'm fine doing this for a week but let's say one piece of beef gets stuck to the bottom and you don't eat it for 3 weeks straight. Is it still safe at that point? FIFO is hard to follow in a soup.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That's an awesome idea. As I'm sure you can tell from my posts soup is a staple over here. My only concern is a safety one. I'm fine doing this for a week but let's say one piece of beef gets stuck to the bottom and you don't eat it for 3 weeks straight. Is it still safe at that point? FIFO is hard to follow in a soup.

Yeah, there's no way I'm leaving that pot in my fridge for over five days or so, let alone simmer into a festering vat of bacteria. Nope.

zbarron

Yeah, there's no way I'm leaving that pot in my fridge for over five days or so, let alone simmer into a festering vat of bacteria. Nope.

I actually left a comment on the article so we'll see if the author responds I could see doing this and starting over at the start of every week. It'll be great for farmer's market season. It's healthy, cheap, you constantly have food on hand and don't have to start from scratch everyday.

EDIT:Got a reply from Kenji!
J. Kenji Lopez Alt said:
@zbarron

This is not true. Boiling will kill bacteria but it will not destroy any toxins that are produced. Boiled rotten food can be just as dangerous as in-boiled!

Repeatedly refrigerating/heating the same pot can be dangerous over time even if you boil it each day!

For those of you that cook steak sous vide do you salt the steak before it's in the bag or do you put anything else in the bag with the meat?

zbarron

For those of you that cook steak sous vide do you salt the steak before it's in the bag or do you put anything else in the bag with the meat?

I salt mine hours before I put it in. I like mine simple. Salt, pepper and minced garlic with a reverse sear. Maybe rosemary if I am feeling fancy. While it cooks I like to make a compound butter to slice and put on top.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Oooohhhh... I'm super interested about the results. I saw that recipe and it definitely picked my interest, even if I rarely eat pasta these days. I've recreated Serious Eats' NY style pizza tomato sauce recipe a bunch of times (over 4 hours of cooking for a small pot of tomato sauce, lel) and it's been stellar every single time.

It came out pretty damn good, even if I made some mistakes along the way. Chiefly having too small a pot, which I didn't consider when I added the liquid. So it took forever to reduce, leaving me with no browned bits to mix in during its time in the oven. But tasty nonetheless.

Shun

I got a bottle of doogh as a gift and I was wondering if anyone knew how to get creative with using it to make a different drink?

What fruits or other things would work with non-carbonated doogh? Trying to make it taste a little bit better and have it pass through my Asian stomach a bit better.

Could I use it as a milk/yogurt substitute?

Edit: I'm stupid, I'm gonna use it as a base for curry. I hope it turns out well.

le-seb

New weekend, new lemon tart recipe!
Well, this third round is in fact mixing three different recipes: one for the shortcrust pastry, one for the lemon filling, and the same one than last week for the meringue.

Here's the lil' one:
CIMG0901_v1.JPG

CIMG0903_v1.JPG

I'm pretty satisfied with the result, although I still find the lemon filling being a bit too fat in mouth.
I've tasted it before adding the butter and it was really *really* awesome, sweet and slightly acid at the same time, so I guess next time I'll just try making more rather than including butter into it.

The big one is for you, GAF!
CIMG0894_v1.JPG

As you can see, I've also tried using a piping bag and my new torch this time.
I think my oven grill gave better overall result with the meringue.
And regarding the pastry thickness, it's a bit too much, yes.

I guess more training is required...

I discovered this AMAZING little donut shop in Chicago yesterday. I'm definitely going back today. Just thought I should share. I got a vanilla iced donut and a hot chocolate. I normally HATE donuts but this place gave me an addiction I don't think I can kick. Not to mention the set up was incredibly inspiring for what I want to do with my future as a pastry chef.

o.jpg

zbarron

I tried cooking a USDA Choice 2.5lb Chuck Spencer Roast Sous Vide for 24 hours at 140*F. I only made it to hour 15 before I dug in.

16720486559_3a0cc9cf5c_h.jpg

It turned out really tasty and super tender while not being mushy. It reminds me of a BBQ brisket in texture but with a completely different flavor profile. It still has it's fat cap and a big band of fat right in the middle. I am unsure if it would have rendered out if I had given it the full 24 hours. Anyone here with ultra long cook time experience able to chime in?

There was quite a bit of juice in the bag which I filtered out and now need to plan on what to do with it. Maybe a Yorkshire pudding would be fun.

Weekend request for popovers:

popovers-again.jpg

Requisite chopstick for poking them in the background. Finally have some semblance of consistency with these now. Temperature of starting ingredients and the pan itself. Also chocolate chocolate chip cookie making, with youngest doing the rolling:

choc-choc-chip.jpg

Not my favorite personally, but her request, and she enjoyed them.

^--- Nice popovers! They're something I like eating, but have always been too lazy and intimidated to make. Do they keep in the fridge/freezer well?

I hope I'm not turning into some crunchy hippie lady, but I sprouted a lot of mung beans a few days ago so now I'm trying to use them up. First thing:

Vegan sprouted mung bean curry. #vegan

le-seb

^
Looks so good! That's coriander on top, right?

I've tried making a blanquette of veal today using my butcher's recipe:
CIMG0912_v1.JPG

It doesn't look super sexy as I've let the sauce reduce too much, but it's damn good.

^--- Nice popovers! They're something I like eating, but have always been too lazy and intimidated to make. Do they keep in the fridge/freezer well?

No, but the batter itself can keep overnight--we made four spares this morning actually, so if you don't mind having the oven on multiples times (e.g. Maine winter) you're good.

Curry looks awesome. I am so hungry right now :p.

^
Looks so good! That's coriander on top, right?

Yep. Or what we call 'cilantro' here ;)

No, but the batter itself can keep overnight--we made four spares this morning actually, so if you don't mind having the oven on multiples times (e.g. Maine winter) you're good.

Curry looks awesome. I am so hungry right now :p.

The curry tasted better the next day re-heated, like most stewed things do. If you keep the batter overnight, does it lose any of its "rising power" or whatever you call it? I can probably only eat 2 popovers a day at most, so not sure if I should invest in making a batch.

Zyzyxxz

Starting teaching myself how to make Cantonese style roast duck. Can't quite replicate it without the right oven but I try my best.

After blanching the skin in a mix of maltose, citrus, and water I rubbed the inside with a mix of hoisin, 5 spice, canola oil, salt, sugar and let it sit in front of a fan overnight (make sure its a cold night with the window open).
886ed318180cf8792aad9e4690dda93a.jpg

After an hour in the oven it came out like this, not quite how I wanted it to look but I know what I need to do better next time.
f432174d9307e863dabcb8e8d8e600d7.jpg

Finished product over rice. The duck was definitely overcooked a bit (the legs pulled apart too easily and the breast was tough) but the taste was good. I should be doing another test pretty soon.
e5e7725c8aefb51ffff9e785a36403c8.jpg

If you keep the batter overnight, does it lose any of its "rising power" or whatever you call it? I can probably only eat 2 popovers a day at most, so not sure if I should invest in making a batch.

Next day wasn't bad, we had two great rises and two mediocre, I'll have to pay more attention in the future. My guess is two at a time is going to be tough unless you like micro-batches.

Random popover trivia:

http://thejordanpondhouse.com/

Get in a nice day hike, stop back here on the way back and have some popovers and lemonade. Best thing around.

Looks a little too nouveau-Michael-Graves-at-Target for my tastes. I dig their simple aesthetic in refrigerators a bit more.

My wife wants a Hobart...

Currently making the most terrible excuses to buy one of Smeg's expensive cute as hell mixers.

Oh God, kill me now.

HOLY FUCK THAT IS SO BEAUTIFUL.

Just looking at it is giving me a heart attack. I NEEEEEEED IT.

Edit: Question in regards to it, hows it compared to the Kitchenaid (which I have) ?
I want to know more about this mixer's capabilities. I just got a new job and had to leave my mixer at home. I would love to save up and get one of those if its quality is something a bit more superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom