• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbo

I've got an emergency here guys. Help.

Promised a colleague to bake some desserts for her kid's birthday gathering this weekend. Problem is I just remembered - and I'm scrambling to find easy to make recipes for about 50 people.

Any recommendations that is not cupcakes or cookies? I'm thinking of making a simple chocolate mousse with pistachio, but concerned about how it will hold up under room temperature

Konka

Banned

Promised a colleague to bake some desserts for her kid's birthday gathering this weekend. Problem is I just remembered - and I'm scrambling to find easy to make recipes for about 50 people.

Any recommendations that is not cupcakes or cookies? I'm thinking of making a simple chocolate mousse with pistachio, but concerned about how it will hold up under room temperature

dirt-cake.jpg

Birthday classic Dirt with worms.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

How many oven trays do you have at hand? A "Spiegeleikuchen" (lit. "sunny side up" cake) is prepared quickly and can be made in several batches.
Here's a recipe:
http://albatross3300.hubpages.com/hub/Eggs-Over-Easy-German-Cake-Recipe-Spiegeleikuchen

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I wasn't expecing any US gaffers to have an induction stove. It definitely is a game changer. The ability to boil a pot of water in seconds and keep temperature constant and even no matter the size of the pans is a huge selling point, and so is their low energy consumption and ease to clean. Induction blows conventional ceramic-glass stoves out of the water. I feel like most people with a negative view of them are only familiar with ancient stoves or used low grade pans and pots. The day I switched my crappy pans to Castey ones it made a world of difference. Night and day, I swear.

Gas may allow for some extra versatility, but I'm a clutz and I can't trust myself with gas (I have left my stove on a number of times after leaving the pots aside, which could have been problematic) not to mention that burners are a bitch and half to clean. I absolutely adore how NOTHING sticks to my indution stove, even if a huge pot boils over and spills over its surface.

Magnets, how do they work?

Huge batchs of mousse tend to go sideways, specially if you can't cook them at the same time or have to leave them there for a while. What about some Strawberry Nutella Hand Pies?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Traditional Bolognese recipe:
-a pound of mixed ground beef/pork
-one medium-sized carrot
-piece of celery root
- 400ml beef stock (chicken stock works as well)
- one medium sized onion
-a bay leaf
-250ml red wine
-triple concentrated tomato puree

fresh pasta of choice (I used a Bucatini variant, great bite)

First, get the pasta water going. Start a skillet or pot on 7/10 of heat and add a decent helping of butter:

Chop the carrot, celery root and onions and cube them:

Sautee the cubes for about 5minutes at medium heat and set aside:

Now add another generous helping of butter to the skillet and fry the ground beef until the juices are gone, then add the veggies:

Add the wine as well as the bay leaves and let it evaporate while occasionally stirring:

in the meantime, grate some Parmesan:

When the wine has evaporated, add the stock and the tomato puree. Let it simmer at low-med heat until it looks nice:

In the meantime, get the pasta boiled. fresh pasta should only take one to three minutes.
Drain the pasta and add to the skillet, serve and done :)

this variant provides a nice, broad and meaty taste with just the right amount of fruityness from the tomato puree.
Enjoy!

Gibbo

How many oven trays do you have at hand? A "Spiegeleikuchen" (lit. "sunny side up" cake) is prepared quickly and can be made in several batches.
Here's a recipe:
http://albatross3300.hubpages.com/hub/Eggs-Over-Easy-German-Cake-Recipe-Spiegeleikuchen

Onkel - just have a question on this part of the recipe -
To make the frosting, make the pudding according to the instructions on the box. Stir together with the sour cream. Note: the frosting should be relatively thick. You may not need all 16 ounces of sour cream, so start with half of the container and mix in as needed. Spread evenly over the cake and bake for 10 minutes.

Am I reading this correctly? that the cake will be put back into the oven with the frosting already on it?

Zyzyxxz

I wasn't expecing any US gaffers to have an induction stove. It definitely is a game changer. The ability to boil a pot of water in seconds and keep temperature constant and even no matter the size of the pans is a huge selling point, and so is their low energy consumption and ease to clean. Induction blows conventional ceramic-glass stoves out of the water. I feel like most people with a negative view of them are only familiar with ancient stoves or used low grade pans and pots. The day I switched my crappy pans to Castey ones it made a world of difference. Night and day, I swear.

Gas may allow for some extra versatility, but I'm a clutz and I can't trust myself with gas (I have left my stove on a number of times after leaving the pots aside, which could have been problematic) not to mention that burners are a bitch and half to clean. I absolutely adore how NOTHING sticks to my indution stove, even if a huge pot boils over and spills over its surface.

Magnets, how do they work?

Honestly I would have prob went gas if I could have but my condo only allows for electric so I didn't want no half assed ceramic shit since I've worked with induction in professional kitchens before. But only gripe is I can't use my aluminum japanese sauce pots which I truly like and I can't use copper cookware which I was planning on starting to collect.

Ideally in my future setup I would have both a gas range and a induction to have best of both worlds.

kami_sama

I just got my first Crockpot!
I'm eyeing some recipes already, and I'm doing a chicken stock later today, but I don't know what to do after that one. Any ideas?

entremet

Here's my kitchen. Still small, but far larger and better equipped than my previous one (as OnkelC can attest to). Please excuse the mess :p

At least I have a full induction range, fairly large fridge and freezer and a dishwasher

I once catered--it was side thing i used to do--a dinner party for 40 in a kitchen smaller than yours.

I love small kitchens. Big kitchens are overrated.

They are nice as a home hangout, though. But you don't need a lot of space to cook well. The pros frequently cooks in claustraophobic spaces. It's all about being organized.

Also smaller kitchen are more efficient, not as much moving around.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thinking about getting a large butcher block counter for my kitchen. How do you guys keep the thing sanitized?
rub it down with the sand for birdcages or salt once in a while. butcher blocks from limewood have a strong antibacterial effect.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Keen, really nice kitchen that! :) maybe we can do a rerun of the Getaway cooking session some time ;)

I once catered--it was side thing i used to do--a dinner party for 40 in a kitchen smaller than yours.

They are nice as a home hangout, though. But you don't need a lot of space to cook well. The pros frequently cooks in claustraophobic spaces. It's all about being organized.

nozzing beats the creativity of an improvised kitchen:

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, Jägerschnitzel. A dish whose name I abhor out of personal reasons. More on that later.

The dish itself is a popular combo from a Schnitzel (breaded or natural) with a darkish mushroom/bacon based sauce. Very common in restaurants, snack bars and the like.
I'll spare you the details of breading a cutlet and cut straight to the sauce.
prep time: about 30 minutes from first pic to last.
Ingredients (serves one fatass and his wife):
image.jpg1.jpg

1/2lb mushrooms of choice
100 grams bacon
white wine
one onion
cream
beef stock
thyme
marjoram
milk if the sauce gets too thick.

cut the shrooms to bite-sized chunks, chop the onion, cut bacon to small strips:
image.jpg2.jpg

image.jpg5.jpg

image.jpg3.jpg

prep requires advanced multitasking skill(ets):
image.jpg6.jpg

heat one skillet high and add a bit of butter, it's OK if the butter gets a bit brown, then add the mushrooms.
Sear them for a few minutes just to the point they start to release their juices, then set them aside:
image.jpg7.jpg

image.jpg8.jpg

image.jpg9.jpg

image.jpg11.jpg

sear the bacon and onion in the same skillet:
image.jpg10.jpg

image.jpg12.jpg

Add the wine and let it evaporate almost completely, then add the mushrooms, a good amount of thyme, marjoram after taste and the stock (I used about half of the pitcher):
image.jpg13.jpg

image.jpg14.jpg

image.jpg15.jpg

when the sauce comes to a boil again, add the cream, a bit of paprika powder, white pepper and salt after taste, reduce the sauce at high heat until serving:
image.jpg16.jpg

image.jpg20.jpg

Now for the Schnitzel part:
heat the second skillet to medium heat, add butter and fry them suckers up tendely!
image.jpg4.jpg

image.jpg17.jpg

image.jpg18.jpg

image.jpg19.jpg

Done!

To keep it German, I made a few Semmelknödel as side dish. Also great are french fries or hash browns.

image.jpg23.jpg

image.jpg21.jpg

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Chris (Jäger).

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter

Yeah, but I wish I had some more storage space and somewhere for guests to hang. But it works :) But you do learn to take care of the space you have and to work clean.

Keen, really nice kitchen that! :) maybe we can do a rerun of the Getaway cooking session some time ;)

We should! :D

And a nice view! +a way to vent air out more effectively.

That I have, the view is amazing and it helps to be able to open the window.

zbarron

Damn Keen. Your kitchen might even be smaller than my own. I agree about guests. I have a hard enough time with just my wife and me in this kitchen. This past Christmas we held a small party with about 10 guests and we had 4 adults and 2 kids in here and it was so hard to move.

Have you ever moved the sous vide to another room to cook? I've been known to sous vide and use the portable induction cooker in the living room with the blender plugged into the bedroom just because of the lack of room.

Traditional Bolognese recipe:
-a pound of mixed ground beef/pork
-one medium-sized carrot
-piece of celery root
- 400ml beef stock (chicken stock works as well)
- one medium sized onion
-a bay leaf
-250ml red wine
-triple concentrated tomato puree

fresh pasta of choice (I used a Bucatini variant, great bite)

A8D296F4-7944-4A09-92F0-CA43D472C422.jpg
[/URL]

this variant provides a nice, broad and meaty taste with just the right amount of fruityness from the tomato puree.
Enjoy!

Awesome thank you sir!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
did our master chef OnkelC lose his watches? i was looking through the pics like where's waldo trying to find one. ;)

delicious looking as always Onkel.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thank you.

tonights dinner, almost vegetarian:

I'll make a vegetarian dinner tomorrow, orientally spiced cauliflower, seared in a skillet and baked with cheese and pasta. anybody interested in the prep?

le-seb

I'll make a vegetarian dinner tomorrow, orientally spiced cauliflower, seared in a skillet and baked with cheese and pasta. anybody interested in the prep?
Sure!

Tonight's dinner was simple but very satisfying:
CIMG0962_v1.JPG

I seasoned a pork chop with some sea salt and Espelette chili, fried it in a bit of clarified butter with some garlic and fresh thyme, and then deglazed the pan with a dash of lemon juice.

On a side note, earlier this week I've finally joined a local association promoting the link between nearby producers and consumers, which is something I wanted to do for a while, but dared not until now. We call these associations AMAP (association pour le maintien d'une agriculture de proximité), which would translate to 'associations for the preservation of nearby agriculture'. I think I've read the concept was brought back from Japan, and it's been getting more and more traction in France since its introduction in the early 2000.

You're basically directly contracting with some selected local producers who will provide you with their goods on a regular basis (weekly, bi-monthly, monthly, or whatever, depending on the kind of goods and contract). It's supposed to be a win-win situation, with the consumers being assured to get premium goods (fresh from the day, ripe, sometimes organic products), and the producers being assured to sell their production, at a good price for both parties (since there are no middlemen involved). As the aim of such associations is to keep our local producers wealthy enough to continue running their businesses, we also accept to take some minor risks for them, like paying in advance or not always knowing exactly what we'll bring back home.

So, for the upcoming 6 months, I'll get back home from the distribution meeting with a 5 kg veggies basket every week (which content will vary according to season), half a dozen eggs every two weeks and a chicken once a month. I also contracted for some jams, honey, nuts and plants to run a herb garden, because why not, but passed on the milk and yoghurt, because raw milk doesn't last long enough for my few needs, and the veal/beef/pork meats because my butcher is already awesome (and there's no room left in my freezer to keep these).

Can't wait to see what will be in the basket!

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Just finished tidying the kitchen, so a good opportunity for a photo. Really enjoyable cooking and entertaining here. Stove is gas which is great, and having two ovens comes in very handy for multi-course or otherwise elaborate meals.

My kitchen!
11140183_10152382195559364_288332828104143837_o.jpg

Closeup of the kitchen bench and backsplash
10646715_10152143727384364_5128999468924228460_n.jpg

Older shot of the view while the apartment was still being built with the original benchtop
1040556_10151620027814364_1896415215_o.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Jealous of that view and space. But I know for my next kitchen I can't have a traditional stove against the wall setup.

It's gonna be all out island (but I'll probably have it custom made by steel frabricators I know).
modular-commercial-kitchen-for-small-catering-needs-48-2139261.jpg

Zaptruder

Banned
Just finished tidying the kitchen, so a good opportunity for a photo. Really enjoyable cooking and entertaining here. Stove is gas which is great, and having two ovens comes in very handy for multi-course or otherwise elaborate meals.

That's damn posh. Massive lip on the benchtop as well... we know you're totally loaded when you can afford to sacrifice that much storage space for vanity :p

jwk94

I swear some of you people are living in HGTV homes. These kitchens are huge!

Top of the page:
Post your easter dinner!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Easter Sunday Dinner / Starter:
Slice leftover tenderloin tips from yesterday, sear with mixed crushed peppers in olive oil and serve over a salad:

le-seb

Côte de bœuf sauce béarnaise
CIMG0974_v1.JPG

Not your usual Easter meal suspect, but I've made a rib of beef today and some Béarnaise sauce to go with it.
May seem undercooked for you, but when I'm given the opportunity to eat some excellent beef, blue rare is the way I go.

The beef was rubbed with some sea salt, pepper, Provence herbs and a dash of olive oil before going for a ride on my electric barbecue half an hour later.
It was simply delicious as is, and didn't need any accompanying sauce, to be honest, but I however wanted to give the Béarnaise another try (this time following the instructions more closely). Turned out being a success.

Crème brûlée à la réglisse
CIMG0976_v2.JPG

As a dessert, I've tried making a liquorice flavored burnt cream by basically replacing the vanilla with some roughly chopped liquorice root.
Didn't work as well as I expected, the liquorice flavor is too subtle. I'll have to infuse more roots next time, or use a more powerful extract. Still good, anyway.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
That's damn posh. Massive lip on the benchtop as well... we know you're totally loaded when you can afford to sacrifice that much storage space for vanity :p

It helps that my dad and brother are in the business. So I got the stone and tiles wholesale, the polishing for free, and the installation at cost.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Vegetarian Easter Sunday dinner, a personal favorite of mine: Roasted Cauliflower :)

Ingredients:

- one cauliflower,
- 250 grams pasta of choice (I used A Spätzle variant),
- two medium sized onions,
- 200 grams of strong cheese like Raclette, Esrom, Taleggio or similar,
- butter,
- Spice mix, containing of (left to right): 1tsp Kurkuma, 1/4tsp Piment, 1/4tsp Kardamom, 1/2tsp Koriander, 1tsp Cumin:

Start the pasta (not pictured).
Cut the roses off the cauliflower, slice them in fork-sized segments, set to the stove on cold, slightly salted water, then turn on heat. when the pot comes to a boil, let it boil for 5minutes, then drain and set them aside:

Slice the onions and sautee them in butter for a few minutes, then set them aside:

put a healthy piece of butter in the same skillet, then add the spice mix and roast it at medium heat for one minute until fragrant:

add the cauliflower and stir fry carefully for a few moments:

Add the pasta and do likewise:

Now layer the cheese evenly over the mix, put a lid on the skillet and let it melt:

Before serving, top it with the roast onions:

DONE!
Serve with salt and pepper:

Enjoy.

fixuis

Easter Sunday Dinner / Starter:
Slice leftover tenderloin tips from yesterday, sear with mixed crushed peppers in olive oil and serve over a salad:

Can you please tell me what you use for searing the meat? What was in the crushed mixed peppers? You can get it from the market or are there individual spices? If so can you name them please and their quantity. Looks delicious. Thinking of making this soon! I need to go on a diet and would appreciate some nice recipes like this one and other good salads with meat either chicken or beef/mutton. Thanks!!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
It was a store-bought steak pepper mix, nothing special. They usually consist of black, white and dried green pepper, dried chile shots and seeds, sezchuan pepper flakes, garlic flakes, dried onions and salt. You best try out a few and stick with the one that you like best.

le-seb

Some beef leftovers?
Let's make somewhat resembling a hachis parmentier.

Get everything prepared:
CIMG0981_v1.JPG

• Some potatoes cooked in sea water
  • An onion, roughly chopped
  • Some beef, either ground or thinly chopped
  • Some mushrooms (optional)
  • Some pepper (here, I've used some green one)
  • A smashed garlic clove
  • Some parsley
  • Some salt
  • Some butter
  • A bit of warm milk
  • Some Cognac (optional)

Start by melting some butter in a pan:
CIMG0983_v1.JPG

Add the onions, and cook them until they're getting colored, then add the smashed garlic clove:
CIMG0991_v1.JPG

Add the beef, stir, and cook a little bit more:
CIMG0994_v1.JPG

Add the mushrooms, stir and cook a minute more, and finally add the crushed green pepper, salt and the cognac, stir again and turn off the heat:
CIMG1005_v1.JPG

Smash the potatoes with a fork, add some butter:
CIMG1016_v1.JPG

Incorporate the butter into the mashed potatoes, then slowly incorporate some milk:
CIMG1019_v1.JPG

Stop adding milk when the purée is fluffy enough, and add the chopped parsley:
CIMG1023_v1.JPG

Pour the content of the pan in a plate:
CIMG1024_v1.JPG

And the purée and top with a bit of grated cheese:
CIMG1029_v1.JPG

Put the plate under the grill until the cheese is browned:
CIMG1036_v1.JPG

Enjoy with some salad (if you have some!):
CIMG1037_v1.JPG

le-seb

Yes, the hachis parmentier is indeed the french version of the shepherds' pie.

Brought back home my first subscription based veggie basket, yay!
CIMG1041_v1.JPG

I'm pretty happy with its content, although the lettuce doesn't look too hot and I now must find a way to cook this green cabbage so that it won't stink for a week in my apartment. If somebody has any idea, I'll gladly take advice...
Otherwise, it seems to be pretty good value: this basket cost me 5 € when it would probably have cost me around twice this amount at the supermarket (although I would have spared a euro or two not buying a cabbage!).

Now, let's find something to cook with all these veggies!

Edit: Swiss chards => gratin,
tonight
there's no other way
CIMG1054_v1.JPG

Cooked some diced bacon, shallots and chopped garlic, deglazed the pan with a ladle of chicken broth, let the liquid evaporate, made a roux from there, and then added the Swiss chards and wayyyy too much broth. Let it cook under cover for 15 minutes. Added a bit of cream, let it gently cook two more minutes, and then removed from heat and added some Parmesan cheese. Put in a gratin plate, topped with some more Parmesan cheese, and let it cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 190°C. Quite delicious.

zbarron

Brought back home my first subscription based veggie basket, yay!
CIMG1041_v1.JPG

I'm pretty happy with its content, although the lettuce doesn't look too hot and I now must find a way to cook this green cabbage so that it won't stink for a week in my apartment. If somebody has any idea, I'll gladly take advice...
Otherwise, it seems to be pretty good value: this basket cost me 5 € when it would probably have cost me around twice this amount at the supermarket (although I would have spared a euro or two not buying a cabbage!).

Now, let's find something to cook with all these veggies!

Edit: Swiss chards => gratin,
tonight
there's no other way
CIMG1054_v1.JPG

Cooked some diced bacon, shallots and chopped garlic, deglazed the pan with a ladle of chicken broth, let the liquid evaporate, made a roux from there, and then added the Swiss chards and wayyyy too much broth. Let it cook under cover for 15 minutes. Added a bit of cream, let it gently cook two more minutes, and then removed from heat and added some Parmesan cheese. Put in a gratin plate, topped with some more Parmesan cheese, and let it cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 190°C. Quite delicious.
Very nice. We've considered going in on one of those through a local farmer before. This year we are planning on doing a ton of gardening. Saturday we are picking up between 5 and 8 4'x2.5' raised garden beds, depending on how many they have left in stock and we are going to give square foot gardening a chance. I'm really excited. It should be a fun way to spend most days outdoors and severely reduce our grocery bill.

Anyone here do anything like that?

As far as smell free cabbage, try grilling it if you own one.
http://seriouseats.com/2014/09/food-lab-turbo-why-you-should-be-grilling-your-cabbage.html

If not you could do cole slaw which requires no cooking at all so shouldn't stink up your kitchen either.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/07/creamy-cole-slaw.html

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_2513_zps6t897sog.jpg

Braised herbed lamb shanks last night. Cooked for a few hours in wine, stock, lemons, garlic, and figs, then glazed with fig jam towards the end. With an orange, mint, currant couscous salad and some thin strips of yellow squash and scallion.

le-seb

Oh yes, it looks great, Mario.

And damn, Cosmic Bus! *drools*

Very nice. We've considered going in on one of those through a local farmer before. This year we are planning on doing a ton of gardening. Saturday we are picking up between 5 and 8 4'x2.5' raised garden beds, depending on how many they have left in stock and we are going to give square foot gardening a chance. I'm really excited. It should be a fun way to spend most days outdoors and severely reduce our grocery bill.

Anyone here do anything like that?
At the time being, I'm trying to keep my basil and thyme plants alive, but I have a bunch more arriving at the end of the month, including strawberries and tomatoes, and wondered how to grow them on my balcony.
These raised garden beds sound like a good system.

And thanks for the suggestions!
Although the grilling isn't possible, the coleslaw is certainly something I'll look at.

At the time being, I'm trying to keep my basil and thyme plants alive, but I have a bunch more arriving at the end of the month, including strawberries and tomatoes, and wondered how to grow them on my balcony.

See, you have fresh herbs growing, and we have 3" of snow yesterday, which is keeping the maple syrup flowing :). CB, that looks stellar, very nice.

Onkel be making that soul food that just makes me hungry all the time. That meat and pasta from a page ago is my weakness. Also this page too. All of it.

le-seb

See, you have fresh herbs growing, and we have 3" of snow yesterday, which is keeping the maple syrup flowing :). CB, that looks stellar, very nice.
I don't know what to say, mate. Canada sucks, maybe? ^^

For the lols only:
Dôme à la mandarine
CIMG1059_v1.JPG

Tangerine meet agar-agar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom