• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
smirkrevenge said:
lamb + beef burger (inspired by another post), aged cheddar, homemade tzatziki, english muffin, grilled onions:
No pics, but I just made a burger and served it on an English muffin. Thank you for this, I am a convert!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
folks, awesome foods and pics!

As funny as it sounds, I didn't have one decent meal this week again. I'm starting to get really hungry.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
folks, awesome foods and pics!

As funny as it sounds, I didn't have one decent meal this week again. I'm starting to get really hungry.

looks like the tables have turned on you Onkel, it is now you who gets hungry looking at our stuff!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
looks like the tables have turned on you Onkel, it is now you who gets hungry looking at our stuff!
so true.

solo cooking tonight, I fried up some Döner meat, sprinkled it with cheese and stuffed the skillet in the oven. Sides were pasta and a quark with herbs as a tsatsiki substitute:
smallP1030399.jpg

smallP1030397.jpg

Enjoy!

CTLance

OnkelC said:
so true.

solo cooking tonight, I fried up some Döner meat, sprinkled it with cheese and stuffed the skillet in the oven. Sides were pasta and a quark with herbs as a tsatsiki substitute:
(pics)
Enjoy!
Arrrrgh I hate it! I hate it that even your quick-n-dirty "solo cooking" looks so much more delicious than anything I'd ever be able to whip up with the same resources. :lol

Initially I only wanted to say: I'm still really enjoying this thread. Thanks to everyone contributing with and without pics. Keep 'em coming.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
OnkelC: Döner as in kebab meat? Never seen anyone serve it with pasta and cheese before, but it looks good :O

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
CTLance, thank you for the kind words. It's comments like yours that keep everybody posting!

ItsInMyVeins said:
OnkelC: Döner as in kebab meat? Never seen anyone serve it with pasta and cheese before, but it looks good :O
yup, exactly:lol
I saw this combo at a Döner stall some time ago, it goes quite nice together, actually.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
OnkelC said:
CTLance, thank you for the kind words. It's comments like yours that keep everybody posting!

yup, exactly:lol
I saw this combo at a Döner stall some time ago, it goes quite nice together, actually.

Alright, kebab is awesome and that combo seems interesting.

The only downside is that while we've got kebab stand like everywhere in Stockholm you can't buy the meat in stores usually, and if you do find it in a store the chances are good that it's crappy.

Zyzyxxz

CTLance said:
Arrrrgh I hate it! I hate it that even your quick-n-dirty "solo cooking" looks so much more delicious than anything I'd ever be able to whip up with the same resources. :lol

thats why he is the OP.

tnw

Banned
jarosh said:
been sitting on these pics for a while... finally posting now.

made this lentil stew a few weeks ago. pretty simple actually.

ingredients:
green/brown and red lentils, carrots, potatoes, leek, parsley, quorn sausage, vegetable bouillon or chicken brod or something similar, white wine (not pictured), marjoram, coriander, pepper

that looks really good jarosh. I really like making lentil salads as well. get a nice vinegrette base with some kidney beans or whatever kind of beans you like. There's a german deli here that makes it, really tasty.

I wish I could find quorn here. I've never had it, and it looks like it would be fun to use

I know you said you can't eat wheat, but is there a reason that you often eat vegetarian as well?

jarosh

tnw said:
that looks really good jarosh. I really like making lentil salads as well. get a nice vinegrette base with some kidney beans or whatever kind of beans you like. There's a german deli here that makes it, really tasty.

I wish I could find quorn here. I've never had it, and it looks like it would be fun to use

I know you said you can't eat wheat, but is there a reason that you often eat vegetarian as well?
thanks. yes, quorn is really really good. you can do a lot of things with it you just can't do with tofu.

i cook vegetarian almost exclusively these days. i'm not a big fan of meat myself, i only really like chicken. cloudwalking being pescetarian helps too.

Flo

tnw said:
I made a nice broccoli risotto for lunch today, inspired by the NYT The Minimalist

http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=a34fc6e478846627b2b69580b10c64779678f929

florets from 1 head of broccolli

the cloves garlic

1/2 cup aborio rice

cheese (I had some chevre and some leftover steppenkase)

salt and pepper to taste

olive oil (or butter if you have it)

kupii mayonaise (optional)

-------

set aside about 1/4 of the florets.Coursely chop up florets, and in a bowl cover with cold water, with a hand blender, puree the mixture until smooth. set aside.

in a hot pan add oil and garlic. sautee the aborio rice in the oil briefly. Gradually add the puree broccoli, waiting for the rice to absorb the liquid. you may need extra water to fully cook the rice.

add the cheese now, stiring to mix and melt. Season, and add the last of the broccoli florets (they should be broken up small.

I added a little japanese mayonaise to round out the flavor.

It's very good!
Thanks for the link, I hope this will improve my risotto! Why don't you add photos to your recipe's? They sounds great, I always wonder what they look like!

tnw

Banned
Flo said:
Thanks for the link, I hope this will improve my risotto! Why don't you add photos to your recipe's? They sounds great, I always wonder what they look like!

thanks flo. I really like The Minimalist video column on the NYT website. They do all kinds of cool basic stuff like this.

I'd love to add pictures, I just don't have a camera. My cellphone pictures are really small and grainy so.

Someday though hopefully :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Something to add to this post:
CTLance said:
the "looks" part is mostly a question of presentation and lighting. Here's tonights dish (crappy bolognese) shot in three ways (always the same plate, same angle, camera set to ISO 100, shot with a tabletop tripod, no retouching done):

1. shot with flash (exact repro, but makes the dish look sterile:
smallP1030419.jpg

2. shot with ambient light (energy saver bulb):
smallP1030420.jpg

3. shot with the help of a cheapo 2.99 EUR halogen desk lamp:
smallP1030421.jpg

the halogen lamp was a godsend and helps to make really nice looking food pics.

Enjoy!

Wanace

I went out to eat last night with some friends to the Broad Ripple Brewpub in Indianapolis.

We had Scotch Eggs, Chili, Bangers and Mash, and beer (forgot to take pics of the beer, oops!)

Apologies for the quality, they were taken with my cell phone, no flash, I used Photoshop to up the contrast for better viewing.

sw4bk4.jpg

The scotch eggs. Hard boiled eggs, wrapped in sausage, breaded, and then deep-fried. They were absolutely delicious. Served with a spicy sauce of some sort.

2v2d3qh.jpg

Herdsman's Chili. No beans, just meat. Made with beef and bison, it was the spiciest chili I've ever eaten in my life, but delicious.

2yl01g0.jpg

Bangers and mash, I didn't have any but my friend said it was delicious.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
does anyone have experience with smoked fish?

i went to a restaurant not long ago that served a delicious smoked salmon dip, but upon trying to replicate it at home i found the fish taste a little too mild for what i wanted, and the texture severely wanting. i think i'm facing the difference between what is a general catch-all phrase, "smoked salmon," when in fact there are tons of different ways of accomplishing this.

what i'm looking for is a nice, dry, at times almost slightly crisp flake on the fish and a strong smoky flavor that will cut right through creamy bases for a dip. i think i may be looking for something of a "country smoke"--something less delicate than what i ended up with, which would be used in something like sushi (soft in texture and subtle smoke). am i looking for "smoked fish?" helppppp

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
hi beelzebozo, you could try to smoke stuff on your own. Most fishing supply stores should have stovetop smoker sets like this one for small change:
DMR1135_l.jpg

just experiment a bit with the different wood flakes for the taste you are looking for.

Zyzyxxz

yay I finally bought a slow cooker! Now to experiment with some pork ribs.

*update*

Hey SmirksRevenge I tried that dry rub from the previous thread and it was pretty good. Kinda left the ribs in the slow cooker too long as they broke too easily, had to carefully take em out.

Dinner last night was brown rice porridge topped with fried shallots and bonito.
dsc_0393.jpg

Part of dinner tonight was seafood and winter-melon soup at a restaurant.
dsc_0395.jpg

breakfast this morning:

pan-fried potatoes with leek, onion, chives, splash of balsamic..
2252091575_e9874dac75.jpg

omelette with leek, onion, feta, chives, avocado.
2252091667_44ca5a347b.jpg

sense the pattern? ;)

YagizY

OnkelC said:
so true.

Enjoy!

Ahhhh this makes me excited that I am going to Turkey this summer. Home of the doner. I presume you live in somewhere in Germany right? I know that their is a lot of Turkish cuisine around their. Unfortunately, living in Florida, I have yet to find some decent doner. When I lived in NY I knew a place that had the best doner.

Wow, that omelette looks amazing. Well done.

I made some banana and walnut muffins last night. It could have been a disaster because I ran out of almond milk and had to substitute some water, but it came out tasty anyway.

2251682887_1c88547392_o.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi said:
Wow, that omelette looks amazing. Well done.

I made some banana and walnut muffins last night. It could have been a disaster because I ran out of almond milk and had to substitute some water, but it came out tasty anyway.

2251682887_1c88547392_o.jpg
looks awesome! I'll make a tarta di mele (link) tomorrow. Mind sharing the muffin recipe?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
OnkelC said:
i want girl scout cookie recipes. now.
cloudwalking said:
i second this! i want to make my own samoas!

what a coincidence! i made samoas two nights ago while watching lost.
here's the recipe:

Cookies
1 cup butter, soft
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
up to 2 tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Mix in flour, baking powder and salt at a low speed, followed by the vanilla and milk, adding in the milk as needed to make the dough come together without being sticky (it’s possible you might not need to add milk at all). The dough should come together into a soft, not-too-sticky ball. Add in a bit of extra flour if your dough is very sticky.

Roll the dough (working in two or three batches) out between pieces of wax paper to about 1/4-inch thickness (or slightly less) and use a 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter to make rounds. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and use a knife, or the end of a wide straw, to cut a smaller center hole. Repeat with remaining dough. Alternatively, use scant tablespoons of dough and press into an even layer in a mini donut pan to form the rounds.

Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, until bottoms are lightly browned and cookies are set. If using a mini donut pan, bake for only about 10 minutes, until edges are light gold.
Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Topping
3 cups shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
12-oz good-quality chewy caramels
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp milk
8 oz. dark or semisweet chocolate (chocolate chips are ok)
Preheat oven to 300. Spread coconut evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet (preferably one with sides) and toast 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until coconut is golden. Cool on baking sheet, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
Unwrap the caramels and place in a large microwave-safe bowl with milk and salt. Cook on high for 3-4 minutes, stopping to stir a few times to help the caramel melt. When smooth, fold in toasted coconut with a spatula.

Using the spatula or a small offset spatula, spread topping on cooled cookies, using about 2-3 tsp per cookie. Reheat caramel for a few seconds in the microwave if it gets too firm to work with.
While topping sets up, melt chocolate in a small bowl. Heat on high in the microwave in 45 second intervals, stirring thoroughly to prevent scorching. Dip the base of each cookie into the chocolate and place on a clean piece of parchment paper. Transfer all remaining chocolate (or melt a bit of additional chocolate, if necessary) into a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the corner snipped off and drizzle finished cookies with chocolate.

Let chocolate set completely before storing in an airtight container.

a few notes: i actually made my own caramel, but as the recipe states, you can just use packaged ones and they'll work just fine. for a more accurate version of samoas, dip the shortbread cookie bottoms in chocolate and let it set before you put on the caramel-coconut topping. otherwise, i'll just say they're twice as amazing as the girl scout versions, and will mightily impress anyone. a picture of my finished product:

29axhqd.jpg

kinda tough keeping that caramel-coconut topping away from the hole, but who the heck cares! it's a great tasting cookie and it's got that homemade look, baby

OnkelC said:
looks awesome! I'll make a tarta di mele (link) tomorrow. Mind sharing the muffin recipe?

I didn't write anything down and had to make a few substitutions, but here's what I think I put into the mixing bowl for muffins. They're also vegan, but you can substitute the fake-milk for real milk.:

1 1/2 cup sugar
10 tbsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas (mush them up)
10 Tbsp oil (I used canola)
2 cups pastry or all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup almond milk (or real milk)
1 cup chopped walnuts

Just mix all the wet ingredients together, then the dry, then mix them both together really well. Put it in some muffin tins and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. I let them burn a little because I like how the top gets crispy.

nakedsushi - i should try baking sometime, but i don't have a mixer.

zyxxyz - glad you tried my ribs recipe. i've had that problem of overcooking, but it's always hard to gauge...guess i need more practice.

adamsappel - yay for english muffins! it works surprisingly well.

made some seared sea scallops tonight. fission mailed. =( was really disappointed, and wish i had access to super fresh seafood. if seafood isn't fresh, seems kinda pointless to even try to cook it. and i think i overthought the steps this time -- i need to keep it simple next time! i also think i messed with too many flavor combinations, should just stick to 2 or fewer. maybe i was a bit too ambitious today, trying to cook for every meal...and elaborate dishes at that.

any suggestions from those that have made tasty scallops?

marinating:
2253816522_0e8804b392.jpg

on a bed of snow pea shoots and "pickled" cucumbers:
2253113453_2c64137141.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
question for oatmeal enthusiasts:

steel cut oats v. rolled oats. the former takes a bit more effort; worth it? i suppose the saying goes "convenience and quality rarely hold hands," but i'm curious if you guys have tried them both and have an opinion

Teknoman

adamsappel said:
No pics, but I just made a burger and served it on an English muffin. Thank you for this, I am a convert!

You know I just may have to try that out this week.

OnkelC said:

Wow...just wow. That looks amazingly good to eat! Really going to have to go further back and start to record some of these recipes.

smirkrevenge said:
nakedsushi - i should try baking sometime, but i don't have a mixer.

any suggestions from those that have made tasty scallops?

You don't really need a mixer for baking. I just use it for kneading bread. For cupcakes and other stuff, I just mix it in a big bowl with a whisk or a spoon.

Also, those scallops look good. What was wrong with them? I've never made scallops before, but I've seen them done just sauteed for a small amount of time in some butter and then some lemon juice on top. That sounds pretty good.

beelzbozo said:
question for oatmeal enthusiasts:

steel cut oats v. rolled oats. the former takes a bit more effort; worth it? i suppose the saying goes "convenience and quality rarely hold hands," but i'm curious if you guys have tried them both and have an opinion

YES it's worth the effort. I never eat rolled oats anymore now that I've discovered the greatness of steel cut oats. They taste a little "nuttier" if that makes sense, but the texture is what I really like. It's chewy and crunchy almost. I don't like soggy oatmeal, so steel cut oats is the perfect texture for me.

If you want to cut down on cooking time, you can soak it overnight with the amount of water needed to boil it, and then cook it in the morning in the same water. I heard that cuts down 15 mins of the cooking time.

The way I make them is to cook it with 1/2 almond or soy milk, and 1/2 water, so it tastes a bit creamier. I also throw in a cinnamon stick and some cloves while the liquid is boiling. I take the cloves out before putting the oatmeal in, and then after cooking for 30-45 minutes, stir in a pat of butter or margarine, and then maple syrup to your desired sweetness.

Lately, I've been stirring in frozen pitted cherries too.

Don't forget to add in some sliced bananas before you eat it. That makes the oatmeal 10x better.

tnw

Banned
those scallops look quite good, I also wonder why they didn't taste good.

I made a great scallop recipe from www.epicurious.com. I think it's always good to pan sear them. I remember placing them on a small slice of grilled turnip and covering them with a sauce of some kind. It was quite awhile ago, so i don't really remember. They did taste very good! Turnips are very tasty.

also scallop sushi is also probably one of my favorites.

nakedsushi is my cooking doppleganger :D

Midas

Does anyone have a good recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala? I've tried two times and it never gets as good as I want it to be.

Sorry, guys, but from now on this is the OnkelC Cookoff, hosted by IronGAF. Get those coals a-blazing! I like my German lawyer medium-rare, bitte schön!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The wife surprised me with an awesome salad tonight:
smallP1030425.jpg

And that's from me for this week again. Keep up the good work and let the feast continue, everybody!

Chinese New Year dinner (courtesy of my parents)
dsc_0447.jpg

soy sauce chicken

dsc_0448.jpg

roasted duck

dsc_0451.jpg

baby corn and asparagus stir fry (vegan)

dsc_0453.jpg

bell pepper and mushrooms stir fry (vegan)

dsc_0457.jpg

Nien gao (vegan) -- Pounded rice ovals. Chewy and yummy.

dsc_0460.jpg

Kung Pao chicken (vegan)

dsc_0461.jpg

Shrimp and sugar snap peas

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
nakedsushi said:
YES it's worth the effort. I never eat rolled oats anymore now that I've discovered the greatness of steel cut oats. They taste a little "nuttier" if that makes sense, but the texture is what I really like. It's chewy and crunchy almost. I don't like soggy oatmeal, so steel cut oats is the perfect texture for me.

If you want to cut down on cooking time, you can soak it overnight with the amount of water needed to boil it, and then cook it in the morning in the same water. I heard that cuts down 15 mins of the cooking time.

The way I make them is to cook it with 1/2 almond or soy milk, and 1/2 water, so it tastes a bit creamier. I also throw in a cinnamon stick and some cloves while the liquid is boiling. I take the cloves out before putting the oatmeal in, and then after cooking for 30-45 minutes, stir in a pat of butter or margarine, and then maple syrup to your desired sweetness.

Lately, I've been stirring in frozen pitted cherries too.

Don't forget to add in some sliced bananas before you eat it. That makes the oatmeal 10x better.

dinner tuesday officially planned. you are a god among men. thank you sir.

jarosh

yesterday's dinner: carrot polenta with honey mozzarella

ingredients:
polenta, carrots, alfalfa sprouts, pepper, vegetable bouillon
mozzarella balls marinated in olive oil, honey, lemon zest, pepper

1102-1.jpg

1102-3.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Midas said:
Does anyone have a good recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala? I've tried two times and it never gets as good as I want it to be.

actually yes. the one from america's test kitchen is supoib--i just made it last week. i like to add cashews and dates to the sauce as it simmers, and garnish at the end with sliced almonds. but hey, the basic recipe is delicious as is, served with some pilaf. hope you like it.

Chicken Tikka Masala

This dish is best when prepared with whole-milk yogurt, but low-fat
yogurt can be substituted. For a spicier dish, do not remove the ribs
and seeds from the chile. If you prefer, substitute 2 teaspoons ground
coriander, 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon,
and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper for the garam masala. The sauce can
be made ahead, refrigerated for up to 4 days in an airtight container,
and gently reheated before adding the hot chicken. Serve with basmati rice.

Serves 4 to 6

/Chicken Tikka/
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon table salt
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts/ , trimmed of fat/
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt/ (see note above)/
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium garlic cloves/ , minced or pressed through a garlic press
(about 2 teaspoons)/
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger

/Masala Sauce/
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion/ , diced fine (about 1 1/4 cups)/
2 medium garlic cloves/ , minced or pressed through a garlic press
(about 2 teaspoons)/
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 fresh serrano chile/ , ribs and seeds removed, flesh minced (see
note above)/
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon garam masala/ (see note above)/
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon table salt
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

1. FOR THE CHICKEN: Combine cumin, coriander, cayenne, and salt in
small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with spice mixture, pressing
gently so mixture adheres. Place chicken on plate, cover with plastic
wrap, and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes. In large bowl, whisk
together yogurt, oil, garlic, and ginger; set aside.

2. FOR THE SAUCE: Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until
shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until light golden,
8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, chile, tomato paste, and garam
masala; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add
crushed tomatoes, sugar, and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to
medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in cream and return to simmer. Remove pan from heat and cover to
keep warm.

3. While sauce simmers, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position (about
6 inches from heating element) and heat broiler. Using tongs, dip
chicken into yogurt mixture (chicken should be coated with thick layer
of yogurt) and arrange on wire rack set in foil-lined rimmed baking
sheet or broiler pan. Discard excess yogurt mixture. Broil chicken until
thickest parts register 160 degrees on instant-read thermometer and
exterior is lightly charred in spots, 10 to 18 minutes, flipping chicken
halfway through cooking.

4. Let chicken rest 5 minutes, then cut into 1-inch chunks and stir into
warm sauce (do not simmer chicken in sauce). Stir in cilantro, adjust
seasoning with salt, and serve.

nakedsushi: oh man...you got me salivating with the soy sauce chicken and roasted duck. alas, i missed out on all the new year's festivities this year.

tonight's dinner...

tomato + mozz tower w/ basil, olive oil, salt, pepper:
2262137932_696c262b3e.jpg

experiment with tuna: cashew + sesame encrusted tuna on a bed of spinach/arugula mix. yuzu + lemon honey dressing:
2261346799_5b67748ab3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom