• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
jet1911 said:
Well there's really no recipe per se. Shrimps + scallops + leek + celery + pepper + basilic + mushrooms + garlic + generic béchamel sauce.

I must say that fresh pasta tastes amazing. :D

thanks for the ingredients. im going to give a try and pray for the best.

tomorrow im hoping to make steaks! i'll post pictures when im done

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw, thanks. I filled them with fried ground beef, onions, the leftover pepper tops and tomato puree.

bdizzle said:
ONKELC

Is there anything you can't make? ive been amazed at the many different dishes you've concocted. are you a chef or something or do you just love cooking? do you have any recipe books that youd recommend? im still a novice, but im learning. i took the leftover bbq chicken i had and made a bbq sandwich out of it. it was pretty tasty i thought. i made......i meant bought :( some potato wedges to go along with with some provolone cheese on a wheat kaiser roll. i shoulda made some home squeezed lemondade too now that i think about it. im trying to be exciting like you said, but its kinda hard since im still trying to figure all this stuff out.
Thank you too for the kind words. I'm not a chef, but was earning my living with cooking for some time of my life. Most education was done by my grandmothers and lots of experimentation. As for cook books, I recommend to read lots of them, but to take none of them on a letter-to-letter base. read up a dish that you like, think how you could improve or vary it, then go ahead.

Basic things like cooking/baking times, basic sauces, foodstuff science should be published in cooking school books. For people capable of reading german, the Dr. Oetker company has a set of books for cooking schools which cover all basics. The "bible" that most german speaking chefs learn their ropes by are the "Lehrbuch der Küche" (schoolbook of the kitchen) and the "Rezeptbuch der Köche" (recipe book for chefs) from the swiss based Pauli publishing house.

Looking forward to your steak pics!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights Schnitzel (stock pic):
smallP1030051.jpg

Enjoy!

Share your stuff, folks!

jarosh

mmmm that schnitzel looks tasty.

i've been sitting on the pics of my lentil stew for a few days now but haven't been able to post them or even get them off the camera since i'm bedridden - nasty bronchitis and a high fever :/

hope to post the pics soon, possibly tomorrow.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
jarosh said:
mmmm that schnitzel looks tasty.

i've been sitting on the pics of my lentil stew for a few days now but haven't been able to post them or even get them off the camera since i'm bedridden - nasty bronchitis and a high fever :/

hope to post the pics soon, possibly tomorrow.
Thanks! und gute Besserung.

Momar

aka Ryder
OnkelC said:
read up a dish that you like, think how you could improve or vary it, then go ahead.

This has basically been my mindset in learning to cook. I know a lot of people who just try to make some elaborate meal to impress, and it usually isn't even something that tastes any good. All I really think to myself is, "Well, what is my favorite food?", figure out how to make it, and then make it my own.

Zyzyxxz

Ryder said:
All I really think to myself is, "Well, what is my favorite food?", figure out how to make it, and then make it my own.

thats a good mindset when it comes to cooking.

I've found that the best way to expand your horizons is to, want to eat what you cook and not to cook just to eat.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Yesterday's lunch was Pasta Alfredo. Good hang over cure with all that butter :D

Sorry about the picture quality, had to use my phone =( The food looks more like vomit than anything appetizing.

alfredo1.jpg

woeds

I'm going to do some wokking tonight, haven't done that in a while. I've got chicken, paprika, onions, leek, mushrooms and green beans. Topping it off with some sweet/sour sauce and serving it with basmati rice.

Manager

I moved from home after last summer, to begin studying at a university. I've always wanted to be better at cooking (which means, better than eating pasta and meatballs for dinner), and now when I've sorted out the things at my new place, I'm ready to put some time into cooking.
Me and a friend have tried doing stuff from Tasteline.com, and even though it ended up being good, it's hard to find the best out of like 100 000 recipes. So I thought of buying a cookbook and maybe some DVD about this. I was of course also planning on doing some of the stuff you guys have written down in this thread, a lot of stuff look delicious.

So what about this Jamie Oliver guy? I've seen some of his shows, and the new one, "At home with Jamie", and his stuff looks great. Would that be a good introduction, you believe?

For starters I was thinking of learning the basic stuff - carbonara, bolognese, stroganoff, chicken in different ways, so he should be ok right?

Thanks in advance, and keep on with the awesome cooking! :D

(btw: I saw bread being made a couple of pages back. For economical reasons, is making bread cheaper than buying it in a store?)

Flo

Not your recipe onkelc, I'll make that when my bf is here. Waay too many for me, I ate four of them and will keep the rest for tomorrow afternoon :)
6tm0xmh.jpg

Momar

aka Ryder
Manager said:
I moved from home after last summer, to begin studying at a university. I've always wanted to be better at cooking (which means, better than eating pasta and meatballs for dinner), and now when I've sorted out the things at my new place, I'm ready to put some time into cooking.
Me and a friend have tried doing stuff from Tasteline.com, and even though it ended up being good, it's hard to find the best out of like 100 000 recipes. So I thought of buying a cookbook and maybe some DVD about this. I was of course also planning on doing some of the stuff you guys have written down in this thread, a lot of stuff look delicious.

So what about this Jamie Oliver guy? I've seen some of his shows, and the new one, "At home with Jamie", and his stuff looks great. Would that be a good introduction, you believe?

For starters I was thinking of learning the basic stuff - carbonara, bolognese, stroganoff, chicken in different ways, so he should be ok right?

Thanks in advance, and keep on with the awesome cooking! :D

(btw: I saw bread being made a couple of pages back. For economical reasons, is making bread cheaper than buying it in a store?)

So, I've been home for winter break for almost a month now, and all I've pretty much been doing, besides hanging out with friends, is watching food network, because damn near everything else on television these days is unwatchable. I never watched his original show the Naked Chef, but some of the stuff he makes on his new show looks pretty good. Of course, if you're trying to learn, the best show for that, I'd say, would have to be Good Eats. Alton Brown is a freakin' genius and sexy! He's really good at explaining things step-by-step and even goes into the science behind the food, if you're interested in that.

In other news, french toast again for breakfast! The worst part is, since I've been at home, my mom won't leave me alone in the kitchen :(

6xrroyf.jpg

It seems like the flash is making it look darker than it really is; it wasn't burnt at all, really really nice and golden brown. This time I only made enough custard for 2 pieces, but I kept the vanilla extract and brown sugar amounts the same to see if I could safely make it a bit tastier, and it worked! Let me know what you think!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nice pancakes and nice french toast! thanks to the both of you for sharing!

I made a few panfried from yesterdays leftover potatoes:
smallP1000243.jpg

And that's it from me for the week, folks! I'll start the new job tomorrow and have no clue how the kitchen(ette) in my weekday appartment will be.

Keep the thread going, please!

us_pizza.jpg

We tried to make a rectangular red roma pizza last night. It came out shaped like the United States. The BF took a bite out of California before I could get a picture of it.

DonCuco

After a while of checking out all the great dishes Gaf'ers have contributed to this thread, I finally had some time this weekend to get the old BBQ going.. Decided to do some half chickens w/ some mexican style marinade. Chickens came out great, and were served with some beans and spanish rice. Everyone couldn't seem to get enough.. I'll probably do some ribs next time.. Enjoy everyone and a special thank you to Onkel and HeavyLiquid for all the wonderful pics they always post.

PICT0085.jpg

PICT0084.jpg

PICT0085.jpg

DonCuco

Zyzyxxz said:
holy shit that looks good.

Is that a smoker you using, and what kind of fuel are you using for the fire?

Sup Zyzy... yeah I'm using a Big Drum Smoker (BDS) which I highly recommend to anybody out there who are into BBQ. As far as fuel goes, I'm using regular old Kingsford briquettes ,and a chunk of hickory wood for a nice smokey flavor. I'll probably do some ribs next week, or a pork butt.

Flo

Those potatoes remind me of the ones my mom used to make OnkelC, recently I was wondering about why the ones I baked tasted so much different (read: worse) from hers. I think it was because she made them from home cooked potatoes from the day before.

This thread always makes me so hungry, not handy when you read it before going to sleep.

Dinner last night was inspired by tnw's carrot soup. Mine came out darker. I think it's because I used some weird black carrots in it along with some white/yellow carrots and orange carrots. I also added coconut milk to make it creamier.
dsc_0105.jpg

Lunch today was a Rutt's Original Hawaiian Royale. It's like Hawaiian fried rice with Portuguese sausage and char siu.
dsc_0109.jpg

And dinner tonight was soup again. This time it was "Everything but the kitchen sink" Lentil Soup and home made biscuits, courtesy of the BF.
dsc_0113.jpg

tnw

Banned
so I tried my gringo-ified strammer max with my smaller schinkenbrot

I had some green olive tapenade, some kimchee, and a little yogurt on top of the fried egg.

It tastes a lot huevos rancheros, if you've ever had that. The kimchee tasted a little like salsa, and the yogurt tastes a little sour cream. the crunchiness of the schinkenbrot kind of simulates tortilla chips.

Huevos Rancheros was one of the only western breakfast things I liked growing up (my dad used to make it all the time (I know, lol wut)), so I'm definitely going to start eating this for breakfast more. It's much more substantial than the usual toast with jam I usually have. MOAR OPENFACED SANDWICHESSSS :D

That soup looks great nakedsushi! It actually looks a lot like the soup I made. Coconut milk sounds like a nice addition for rounding out the flavor, but I found that the carrots were already quite sweet for my tastes. The yogurt garnish was a nice foil for the sweetness of the carrots and the spiciness of the red curry paste (and the ponzu).

Oh, and Onkel the guy from Muenster gave me marzipan yesterday. That stuff rocks! Do they soak it in rum or something? Definately had that flavor.

I also took him to the german bakery place I've mentioned on here before. I got something that was made with pretzel dough and topped with cheese. What's it called in German? The japanese label was just a bunch of katakana that I couldn't really understand. I really liked it. I think I might buy it more. The guy from muenster was quite impressed with the selection of stuff. Apparently at another store he found something from his town in Germany that you don't even really find in other parts of Germany, let alone in places like New York and certainly let alone Tokyo.

Zyzyxxz

DonCuco said:
Sup Zyzy... yeah I'm using a Big Drum Smoker (BDS) which I highly recommend to anybody out there who are into BBQ. As far as fuel goes, I'm using regular old Kingsford briquettes ,and a chunk of hickory wood for a nice smokey flavor. I'll probably do some ribs next week, or a pork butt.

Thanks for the recommendation on the BDS, kinda pricey for the smaller ones but I suppose I should start saving up, I have been wanting a smoker for a long time. Dang with shipping and accessories it'll end up the same as a PS3 most likely, choices.... better meat or better graphics?

nakedsushi said:
Lunch today was a Rutt's Original Hawaiian Royale. It's like Hawaiian fried rice with Portuguese sausage and char siu.
dsc_0109.jpg

Wow very similar to how I make my own fried rice, though personally I would say its more Chinese but I know Hawaiian has a fusion of many culinary tastes.

tnw

Banned
I'm a big fan of bargain bin produce. Today i found a bag of potatoes and small shallots.

I also bought some coconut milk, so I decided to make some nice curried potatoes

3 shallots, halved and sliced

2 medium sized potatoes, with skin on, cut in bite size peieces

1 tbsp red curry paste

1/4 cup coconut milk

water

sesame seed oil

put the oil in the pan, and put in shallots. sautee until done, and add the curry paste while adding a small amount of water to keep the paste from burning in the pan. add the potatoes then add the coconut milk, and add enough water to just cover the potatoes. cover, and simmer on very low heat until done.

For some reason these were SO tasty. I think I'll be making these again, but with green curry paste next time. Go random bargain bin produce!

Awesome looking chicken, DonCuco! Damn, that looks good! *drool*

Tonight I made a chicken stir-fry for dinner.

I threw in bok choy, scallions, carrots, mushrooms, green pepper, broccoli, peanuts and cashews. The chicken was marinated in a mixture of sesame oil, rice wine and soy sauce. The main sauce was a Thai type peanut sauce. Instead of white rice, I used a mixture of wild rice and brown rice.

Here's a few pics of the process:

January2007003.jpg

January2007004.jpg

January2007009.jpg

January2007011.jpg

January2007012.jpg

January2007013.jpg

January2007020.jpg

January2007021.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Pasta something.

Fusili Tricolore

868gynt.jpg

premade Bolognese Sauce (good one, €3,69 haha)

714alb9.jpg

Put it on this

7wudjwg.jpg

Boil the pasta with some salt

6xb1f9i.jpg

etc

8e94302.jpg

6ntms2b.jpg

Bring on the powdered cheese

And some oregano btw

7x9nq1e.jpg

Take it to the hot oven for a couple of minutes (optional)

and voila

7yobd3p.jpg

Then eat an Ikea Cookie

7ygbo21.jpg

Okay and that's it! Goodbye.

WTF BIG ASS PICS SORRY GUYS I'LL FIX IT LATER :(

glad to see so many great meals...all different too!

i had a friend over tonight, and as much as i love eating, i love cooking for others as well. sharing a meal that you crafted is a great feeling, and even better when they enjoy it.

caramelized onions + shallots + oyster mushrooms:
2199135568_bd8e9fc42e.jpg

asparagus spears + garlic:
2198345655_809ca1ed08.jpg

roasted red potatoes:
2198345677_df4d1a5dda.jpg

roasted garlic:
2198345733_11fb01a667.jpg

the piece de resistance, ribeye, cooked just right:
2198345765_9fa16db510.jpg

and for dessert, my friend made chocolate panna cotta:
2199190940_797b5f1bd7.jpg

I tried my hand at some chicken parmigiana today.
chicken_parm_frying.jpg

Breaded boneless chicken breasts frying in some canola oil with a little butter melted in for flavor.
chicken_parm_fried.jpg

A fried breast sitting on some sauce waiting to be joined by its sisters so all can be topped.
chicken_parm_sauce.jpg

Said sauce. Too chunky for this dish, and not just because I threw in some sliced mushrooms I had around just to get rid of them. Next time I'll go for a much finer dice on the onion.
chicken_parm_topped.jpg

Topped with some sauce, a mound of pre-shredded mozarella, and a few healthy shakes of Kraft Parmesan-in-a-can, they're ready to go into the oven.
chicken_parm_finished.jpg

Ready to eat! Pretty tasty and easy meal.

Zyzyxxz

slidewinder, ingredient list for that please? I am interested in making that myself but I would like to see what you used. Anyway it looks delicious by the way.

smirkrevenge, those asparagus and roasted garlic look GREAT. Not a bad piece of meat either.

I made Korean food a few nights ago. Japchae + veganbibimbap. I added a runny fried egg on mine because that's the ONLY way to eat bibimbap.
dsc_0121.jpg

dsc_0125.jpg

I wasn't that hungry tonight, so I made bite-sized appetizer things. They're pieces of baked potato and sweet potato topped with a miso+tahini+walnut+leeks paste.
dsc_0135.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
slidewinder, ingredient list for that please?
Sure. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts dipped in flour, then beaten eggs, then into "italian style" packaged bread crumbs. I let those sit in the refrigerator for a couple hours before browning them in some canola oil and butter in a skillet.

For the sauce, I sauteed some diced onion, minced garlic, and sliced mushrooms, then added in a 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes, some dried oregano, salt, and a bunch of red pepper, and simmered for an hour or so. Like I said, I think something smoother and thinner would be more appropriate for this, maybe even using canned tomato sauce instead of crushed tomatoes.

Then it was just a matter of covering the browned breasts with sauce and mozzarella, and baking in a 350F oven while I cooked the spaghetti, so maybe twenty minutes including the time needed to boil a bunch of water. I turned on the in-oven broiler for a couple minutes at the end to brown the cheese.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
mio and nakedsushi, thanks for sharing your awesome pics. The breaded chicken looks really tasty. nakedsushi, your pics are especially wonderful!

I'll play it lazy this weekend, the wife bought some readymade Barilla pasta sauce for tonight, tomorrow will be E-Z pizza from readymade dough :p

Keep sharing the good stuff, people!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Convenience on Saturday, Pasta with a ricotta/roast vegetables sauce as well as a prefab pesto that we got as a present from Italy:
smallP1030382.jpg

smallP1030387.jpg

Enjoy!

tnw

Banned
nakedsushi said:
I wasn't that hungry tonight, so I made bite-sized appetizer things. They're pieces of baked potato and sweet potato topped with a miso+tahini+walnut+leeks paste.
http://www.runawaysquirrels.com/blogblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/dsc_0135.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

i want to end up with someone who cooks like you :(

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
flo, nice looking lasagna! how did you prep it?

capslock, very nice chicken, too! The beer-butt-chicken is widely unknown over here, but sounds like a tempting alternative to the lemon-stuffed chicken that I made for new years eve. Somebody else hinted that there is an utensil just for this prep:
smalldsc007262.jpg

But the beer can looks so much more charming ;)

Thanks to the both of you, keep sharing folks!

tnw

Banned
so I found something called Kaya at the grocery store today

"Kaya ( also srikaya, means "rich" in Malay based on its golden color) is a jam made from coconut milk, duck or chicken eggs which are flavored by pandan leaf and sweetened with sugar. The spread originated in Southeast Asia, most likely Indonesia or Malaysia. This is reflected by its tropical ingredients santan and pandan leaf. Kaya is sweet and creamy, available as a golden brown or green colored spread depending on the amount of pandan and extent of caramelization of the sugar. As with other jams, kaya is typically spread on toast and eaten in the morning but is enjoyed throughout the day."

All I see for eating suggestions is spreading it on toast. That's fine and all, but isn't there anything else I can do with it? Anybody know/have suggestions? :)

Flo

OnkelC said:
flo, nice looking lasagna! how did you prep it?
Well there are three things you put in, cheese sauce, tomato stuff and mushrooms.
Cheese sauce:
40g butter
5es flour
6dl milk
140 cheddar cheese
1/2ts dijonmustard
some cayennepowder
You melt the butter in the pan and stir the flour through. Take the pan off the fire and stir the milk through, then put the pan back on the fire and wait till it boils, stir in the meantime, boil for 2 min and take the pan of the fire. Then add the cheese, cayennepowder and mustard and stir it all this its a shiny yellowish creamy whole.
Tomato stuff:
1 onion, cut fine
400g cubed tomato from a can
Bake (fruit?) the onions for 5 min, then add the tomatoes and let it bake for 7/8 more minutes.
Mushrooms:
450g small normal mushrooms
250g other kind, any that you like
1es lemon juice
1 toe of garlic
Bake the mushrooms until the moisty stuff comes out, add the garlic and lemonjuice. Keep cooking it till almost all moist is gone.
1zpqveh.jpg

Grease up an oven dish and put 1/3 of the cheese sauce on the bottom, then cover it with lasagna sheets (the ones you don't have to cook first). Half the mushrooms on that, another third cheese sauce, lasagna sheets, mushrooms, all the tomato stuff and the rest of the cheese sauce.
dvk192.jpg

Then put some parmazane cheese on top and bake the lasagne for 20 min in an oven heated 200C, when its done, let it simmer for 5 minutes (so that the lasagne sheets get somewhat softer, I didn't do that at first heh).
bi9l68.jpg

OnkelC said:
Tonights Schnitzel (stock pic):
smallP1030051.jpg

Enjoy!

Share your stuff, folks!
Ah god damn, this is the stuff that makes me want to move back to Germany for a bit. Pour some gravy all over that and then we're talking. Hail OnkelC!

I could really use a doner wrap right now though. Spitz in So Cal doesn't do the doner justice. =(

Zaptruder

Banned
tnw said:
so I found something called Kaya at the grocery store today

"Kaya ( also srikaya, means "rich" in Malay based on its golden color) is a jam made from coconut milk, duck or chicken eggs which are flavored by pandan leaf and sweetened with sugar. The spread originated in Southeast Asia, most likely Indonesia or Malaysia. This is reflected by its tropical ingredients santan and pandan leaf. Kaya is sweet and creamy, available as a golden brown or green colored spread depending on the amount of pandan and extent of caramelization of the sugar. As with other jams, kaya is typically spread on toast and eaten in the morning but is enjoyed throughout the day."

All I see for eating suggestions is spreading it on toast. That's fine and all, but isn't there anything else I can do with it? Anybody know/have suggestions? :)

kaya is asian equivalent of nutella.

So whatever you'd do with nutella, you can think up of use for kaya.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flo, thanks!

same to you, donkey show. I usually try to keep sauces off the Schnitzel, but mushroom cream or bell pepper sauces are common as toppings over here.

Here's the pizza:
smallP1030395.jpg

And that's it from me for the week to come, folks! Keep sharing your dishes and thoughts, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom