• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ham Fried Rice for dinner, Chocolate Brownie Trifle for dessert.
2260487647_5975524a48.jpg

2236019140_d8b82d0bec.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i wanted to direct you guys to the cook's illustrated/america's test kitchen video podcast, which is sort of a combination of a weekly recipe, testing of products, etc. it's really fantastic, and it's actually where i got my chicken tikki masala recipe.

you can find video links to the first six episodes 7 episodes here, or, alternatively, subscribe through itunes. it's well worth it for cooking enthusiasts.

Flo

Tomato with onions, white breadcrums and egg.
30x96bn.jpg

Pasta with onion and a veggie who's name I don't know, sour cream, parsly and walnuts.
k12kwy.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics..

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great stuff, everybody!
I'll make an old fashioned lasagna tonight, sunday dish will be a roast. Stay tuned and share your stuff!

Indigo

beelzebozo said:
i wanted to direct you guys to the cook's illustrated/america's test kitchen video podcast, which is sort of a combination of a weekly recipe, testing of products, etc. it's really fantastic, and it's actually where i got my chicken tikki masala recipe.

you can find video links to the first six episodes 7 episodes here, or, alternatively, subscribe through itunes. it's well worth it for cooking enthusiasts.

Thanks for posting this, Beelzebozo. Going to watch these when I get a chance, they look great!

Poussin, Cous Cous, Broccoli& Spinach night

n592428942_563385_108.jpg

n592428942_563386_378.jpg

n592428942_563391_1609.jpg

n592428942_563393_2094.jpg

n592428942_563394_2355.jpg

n592428942_563392_1848.jpg

n592428942_563398_3348.jpg

n592428942_563401_4106.jpg

No matter what I tried, I just could not get a good picture due to the spot lighting in my kitchen

Pancake day

n592428942_563388_859.jpg

Mini peaches boiled in 3/4 water, 1/4 red wine & brown sugar
n592428942_563389_1094.jpg

Bananas sliced and fried in butter and sugar
n592428942_563403_4608.jpg

There were more bricks of chocolate..but ummm...I was robbed :(
n592428942_563404_4868.jpg

n592428942_563406_5372.jpg

n592428942_563408_5876.jpg

n592428942_563410_6431.jpg

Red Wine Lamb day with seafood rice (again)

n592428942_563418_3277.jpg

n592428942_563423_4516.jpg

Weird, my family are from African background so our eating habits are "different" in terms of mixing flavours. For example in most dishes in europe/England you don't fish and meat together. But to us it's nothing and adds to a meal. So with the lamb I prepared some seafood rice (prawns, peas, onions, mushrooms)
n592428942_563421_4046.jpg

n592428942_563424_4818.jpg

n592428942_563425_5051.jpg

Salmon and Potato Dauphine (sp?)

Fried to seal in the marinade/seasoning, then oven baked
n592428942_572419_2596.jpg

Simple recipe for Potato Dauphine :
-fry onions & mushrooms
-par boil sliced potatos
-mix milk & double cream together and slightly boil
-add onion and mushrooms to baking dish
-add a little cream and milk, then layer with sliced potatos
-add cheese on top
-bake till cream and milk have thickened and cheese has browned
n592428942_572420_2941.jpg

n592428942_572421_3257.jpg

I'll work on that presentation though!

dsc_0471.jpg

Favabean and fried polenta soup (made by the BF) a few days ago.

dsc_0476.jpg

We stayed in and cooked on Valentine's Day instead of battling traffic and going out. We made oven roasted stuffed peppers, a beet and fennel salad, and steamed broccoli with garlic. Not seen was dessert: fresh baked oatmeal cookies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Mecha_Infantry and nakedsushi, really good contributions! Thanks for your efforts. The chocolate in ze pancake looks intriguing, will try that out as soon as I'll have access to a decent kitchen again.

Yesterdays lasagna was good, but I forgot the cable for the cam at the office, so no fresh pics from me until next weekend :( Here's a stock pic instead:
smallCIMG1904.jpg

smallCIMG1907.jpg

Keep sharing, folks!

Flo

I ate the starter as main course, couldn't even finish it.

edit: The bread slices seem small but they're from a ciabatta, not a normal French stick bread

Flo

Haha, het is huismerk van de Jumbo. Alle ciabatta lijken hetzelfde maar deze is serieus twee keer zo groot als die van de Appie. :)

Zyzyxxz

I haven't had pho in so long!

Looks good.

If you guys ever end up going to a pho restaurant and dont know what to get just order the number 1.

Its most likely gonna be the sliced beef pho or the combination with tripe and tendon and all that good stuff.

speaking of tripe, i go to this taco truck where they serve tripe tacos...it's gotta be one of the best hangover cures and culinary treats ever made.

homemade baba ghanouj:

2280509609_c235af4644.jpg

roasted eggplant + roasted garlic + raw garlic + olive oil + lemon juice + salt + pepper

the portion was not large enough! :lol

I made some VERY good tasting Asiagao crusted chicken with Pommery Mustard sauce last night, it was amazingly good.

I'll post the recipe and some pics next time I make it. :D

I love baba ghanouj (wow, I never spelled it before) but I'm always afraid to make it myself because roasting eggplant seems like it would be a pain -- so I always just get it from a restaurant. Yours looks good, Smirk!

2280768917_8a1a64d22e_o.jpg

I made some cookies tonight featuring: peanut butter, oatmeal, craisins, and chopped pecan. They were pretty good despite being vegan =P

Kuran

Banned
Muesli recipé:

1) Buy muesli, milk, greek yoghurt, apples and honey.
2) Leave everything in the kitchen, and stay in the living room reading GAF.
3) Wonder where your girlfriend is?
4) Ready for dinner!

IMG_2417.jpg

aznpxdd

Some amateur crap (angus beef burgers) I threw together tonight...tasted damn good though.

Picture-3.jpg

Oh, and don't mind the blood. :lol

SearedTunaLunchBox.jpg

Seared tuna on a bed of salad. The texture of the tuna changes remarkably if you let it cool and serve it chilled compared to if you serve it warm. It feels far more tender chilled.

nice burgers. i'm glad people are using the english muffins! stole that idea from prune, nyc.

decided to go old-school tonight, plus i bought a new toy:
2284922878_cb14aa32b0.jpg

made some garlic whipped potatoes and fried chicken. brined the chicken for 6 hrs, then fried. followed thomas keller's recipe (google can find it for you). let's just say...kfc has nothing on this:
2285087548_53e7cca2e8.jpg

the brine really kept the chicken juicy and tender, all with a loud crunch on the outside. omfg...who cares about my arteries when it tastes this good? :lol

so...first time baking bread. wasn't a great result, but i expected as much. the yeast wasn't activated, i think? any tip from bakers out there, to get the dough to rise?

supposed to be brioche:
2285729135_bfb5b371bd.jpg

all the butter made it tasty enough, topped it with some chicken salad (courtesy of whole foods):
2286516042_4c318ac42d.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you all for the marvelous dishes! My diet under the week is Miracoli and its offsprings at the moment :(

Here's a pic from last weeks lasagna:
smallP1030426.jpg

And here is tonights dish, chicken strips with a "fricassee-style" sauce from roux, chicken broth and capers:
smallP1030431.jpg

smirkrevenge, what kind of yeast did you use? fresh or dried?

I doubt I'll get an answer, but to IronGAF who are very familiar with italian style cuisine, there used to be this italian cafe called Pasquini at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, CA that served this dish called "Grand Prix". It was a sandwich, circular in shape and quartered into pizza like slices.

The bread was almost like a ciabatta, but thinner, with less dough inside, leaving both the outside and inside mostly crispy. The bread would be sliced axially all the way across (like a burger bun or bagel), and the top of the crust would have just a bit of chopped onions on top. Are there any italian breads that might fit the description (or do you think it's something unique to the restaurant?)

Between the bread would be one or two large slices of prosciutto, maybe a couple slices of tomato and a few slices of a white cheese (I'm not sure if it was mozarella or swiss or something else - light in taste).

The sandwich was godsend for me, but they closed down the restaurant many years ago and replaced it with a Lawry's Cafe, which I'm not exactly fond of. Unfortunately there's not much I can find in the way of the restaurant either, or it's owner (whom was an old man I believe).

As such, this is my plea to any of the IronGAF, if you're familiar with the dish, please let me know!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
smirkrevenge said:
the recipe called for active dry yeast, not quick-rising.
try to get some fresh yeast from a baker or a pizzeria, it's worth the effort! It usually comes in cubes. put one cube into a cup of lukewarm water, add a tablespoon of sugar and let the yeast dissolve for 5-10 minutes until the liquid gets fizzy. mix the solution into the flour and let it rise two times (60 minutes, then knead it, then another 30 minutes). Should rise really good!
here's pics:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4580303&postcount=61

greatestjediever said:
I doubt I'll get an answer, but to IronGAF who are very familiar with italian style cuisine, there used to be this italian cafe called Pasquini at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, CA that served this dish called "Grand Prix". It was a sandwich, circular in shape and quartered into pizza like slices.

The bread was almost like a ciabatta, but thinner, with less dough inside, leaving both the outside and inside mostly crispy. The bread would be sliced axially all the way across (like a burger bun or bagel), and the top of the crust would have just a bit of chopped onions on top. Are there any italian breads that might fit the description (or do you think it's something unique to the restaurant?)

Between the bread would be one or two large slices of prosciutto, maybe a couple slices of tomato and a few slices of a white cheese (I'm not sure if it was mozarella or swiss or something else - light in taste).

The sandwich was godsend for me, but they closed down the restaurant many years ago and replaced it with a Lawry's Cafe, which I'm not exactly fond of. Unfortunately there's not much I can find in the way of the restaurant either, or it's owner (whom was an old man I believe).

As such, this is my plea to any of the IronGAF, if you're familiar with the dish, please let me know!

hi, that sounds like an ordinary pizza bread to me. Just make a flat, pizza-like piece of dough and bake it without topping. It should rise to an extent that you can cut a pocket in it. fill it after taste and bake it again :)

greatestjediever: For active dry yeast, I just mix it in with the dry ingredients, and then mix in the wet ingredients. Are you letting it rise long enough? I usually cover up the mixture (in a mixing bowl) with plastic wrap on top, and then put it in the (off!) oven to rise. Depending on your temperature, rising times may vary.

smirksrevenge: I have the same mixer! It's awesome for kneading pizza dough.

smirkrevenge said:
nakedsushi: what is your recipe for pizza dough? and do i have to go buy one of those pizza stones for the oven? sigh...more expenses.

I switch around recipes a lot since we haven't found one that's perfect yet, but that probably has to do with our technique. What I found to be helpful is to let it do a slow rise overnight in the fridge after kneading and then bringing it up to room temperature when I want to bake it. It seems to make the pizza bread taste better.

I didn't think the pizza stone would help as much, but it actually does make the crust pretty damn crispy and good. We got a fairly cheap one from King Arthur's site, you can google it. If you don't want to buy it from there, I've read that you can go to any home depot-type shop and buy a terra cotta tile big enough for a pizza and use that.

made no-knead bread today...courtesy of mark bittman and the NYT.

hearing the bread sing was...marvelous:
2289194868_6ddf796d66.jpg

i devoured a third of the loaf by making messy sandwiches: cold roasted chicken + avocado...heavenly. soft and airy texture with a crunchy exterior. i think it might be one of my top 10 favorite things to eat.

deadbeef

Baked a New York style cheesecake today.

I'll put a picture of it sliced later.

window001.jpg

Graham cracker crust

window002.jpg

I am trying out my mixer I just got yesterday.

window004.jpg

Oops! Called for 500 deg F for 10 minutes then 200 deg F for 60 minutes. Had it on too high of a rack during the first ten minutes.

window005.jpg

Cooling now... the apartment smells GLORIOUS

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
smirkrevenge said:
made no-knead bread today...courtesy of mark bittman and the NYT.

hearing the bread sing was...marvelous:
2289194868_6ddf796d66.jpg

i devoured a third of the loaf by making messy sandwiches: cold roasted chicken + avocado...heavenly. soft and airy texture with a crunchy exterior. i think it might be one of my top 10 favorite things to eat.

for those interested, there's a video version of this recipe on the cook's illustrated page i posted earlier in the thread (just above, actually). they made some slight alterations to the recipe, and claim to have improved it. check out the video and see what you think.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Yesterday was sort of a left over night. So I made a modified Biff Rydberg (Beef Rydberg I guess) with entrecôte, potatoes, onions and a red wine sauce. Traditionally it's made with a mustard sauce and an egg yolk, neither of which I had at home so I tried my hand at a red wine sauce/reduction which turned out surprisingly good.

Anyway, here are the pics:

entrecôte
BR2.jpg

Potatoes, onions and red wine sauce
BR1.jpg

Voilá
BR3_2.jpg

I love this thread, but I haven't really joined in yet, I'll have to post something sometimes.

Re: Bread.

For the last 2 weeks, I've been making homemade bread every single day.

515fWVPePVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0312362919/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's a gloriously simple idea that I find works wonders. Let time take care of the texture and t he flavor you just shape. I've got about 6 lbs of Olive oil loaf right now, perfect for ~4 loaves of bread or 8 pizzas. I find this easier and more consistent than bittman's excellent recipe, but the crust doesn't get as lovely crackly crunchy. I'm still playing with it though, I think I'll try cooking it in the dutch oven to see if it gets that texture.

The base recipe is here if you want to try without laying down 25 for the hardcover book, http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/d...42&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

I've found a couple trips they don't talk about in the book, so if anyone else uses this method, give a shout and we can compare notes.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
sadly, the biggest obstacle between the home cook and a nice loaf of home baked bread isn't the technique, but the tools. home ovens are just not designed to turn out a great artisanal loaf. the "no-knead bread" recipes get around this by baking it in a dutch oven, but for the large part, if you don't have a brick/clay oven capable of holding extremely high heats without cycling ala a conventional oven, your bread will never be the same as a great bakery's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom