• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zyzyxxz said:
I think in the next week I will try making some claypot steamed rice for you guys, pretty simple and quite open-ended in terms of ingredients. Also some Tantan Ramen most likely coming up as well since I like to get a little more out of my ramen.

Can't wait! I love claypot rice, but haven't made it yet. I want to try, but have to get a claypot first.

Also, Keen, I think the peppercorns were illegal for a time because of parasites or some bug that was related to the peppercorn plant?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
nakedsushi said:
Can't wait! I love claypot rice, but haven't made it yet. I want to try, but have to get a claypot first.

Also, Keen, I think the peppercorns were illegal for a time because of parasites or some bug that was related to the peppercorn plant?

Ok, thanks =) Great spice anyway, use it a lot when I (try) to cook asian.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:

First I need to buy some batteries for the camera, damn old digital camera curse you!

bovo

Made pizza a while ago, but never got round to posting picture - so here it is...

I think it was too cold in the kitchen though, so the dough was a bit hard to work with - it kept springing back to its original shape, and I had to beat it with a rolling pin to get it flat...

Still tasted alright though!

(Don't know whats going on with the 'next-gen' photo by the way - I'm guessing fingerprints on the lens :lol )

bovo said:
I think it was too cold in the kitchen though, so the dough was a bit hard to work with - it kept springing back to its original shape, and I had to beat it with a rolling pin to get it flat...

I think pizza dough is supposed to be springy like that. That's good dough! Did you try stretching it by holding it up and going around in a circle shape? That's how I usually deal with the dough.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Time for some Apple Pie, Dutch style.

2000404265279709792_rs.jpg

Stuff you need:

- Spring Cake Tin
- Something to roll the dough with (bottle of wine will do).

- 300 Grams Self-raising flour
- 1 Egg
- 175 Grams (cold) butter
- 150 Grams sugar (I used brown sugar, white sugar works too)
- 1 teaspoon (no head) of salt.

- 1 kilo of sour apples (I used Golden Rennets)
- 50 grams of dried currants
- 50 grams of raisins
- 2 or 3 teaspoons of cinnamon
- (Optional) 3 spoons of citron juice.

2000438163611162972_rs.jpg

1) Cut up apples in blocks/parts.

2000461408627711265_rs.jpg

2) Measure and cut up butter. I used a combination of normal (fat) butter and less fat butter.

2000987274229367306_rs.jpg

3) Mix up the cut butter with the sugar, salt, 2/3 of the egg (mix up the yellow and eggwhite first) and the flour in a bowl. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture. But it's simple stuff, you knead everything untill you have dough.

2000470503381803963_rs.jpg

4) When you're finished, roll it out and separate about 1/4 of the dough.

5) Mix up the apple, sugar, currants/raisins with the cinnamon and citron juice.

6) Use some butter to grease up the Spring Cake Tin, fill it with the dough and make sure to apply it evenly on the bottom and sides.

2000491418432528817_rs.jpg

7) Fill it up with the mix of apple/raisins/currants/sugar/cinnamon/citron.

2000447166372851076_rs.jpg

8) Take the remaining 1/4 of dough and cut it in long stripes.

2004914244343609686_rs.jpg

9) Make a criss-cross pattern on your pie. Use the remaining 1/3 of the egg to 'glaze the criss-cross pattern - this will basically make it look better in the end.

8) Pre-heat your oven on about 175 degrees (I have a gas oven, dunno about other ovens, sorry).

2003226819805917352_rs.jpg

9) Bake the pie in about 75 minutes. After this, take it out, let it cool down for a while (half an hour maybe) and gently remove the spring tin.

2003263923441751406_rs.jpg

10) Success!

-viper-

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
Poussin, Cous Cous, Broccoli& Spinach night

n592428942_563385_108.jpg

n592428942_563386_378.jpg

n592428942_563391_1609.jpg

n592428942_563393_2094.jpg

n592428942_563394_2355.jpg

n592428942_563392_1848.jpg

n592428942_563398_3348.jpg

n592428942_563401_4106.jpg

No matter what I tried, I just could not get a good picture due to the spot lighting in my kitchen

Pancake day

n592428942_563388_859.jpg

Mini peaches boiled in 3/4 water, 1/4 red wine & brown sugar
n592428942_563389_1094.jpg

Bananas sliced and fried in butter and sugar
n592428942_563403_4608.jpg

There were more bricks of chocolate..but ummm...I was robbed :(
n592428942_563404_4868.jpg

n592428942_563406_5372.jpg

n592428942_563408_5876.jpg

n592428942_563410_6431.jpg

Red Wine Lamb day with seafood rice (again)

n592428942_563418_3277.jpg

n592428942_563423_4516.jpg

Weird, my family are from African background so our eating habits are "different" in terms of mixing flavours. For example in most dishes in europe/England you don't fish and meat together. But to us it's nothing and adds to a meal. So with the lamb I prepared some seafood rice (prawns, peas, onions, mushrooms)
n592428942_563421_4046.jpg

n592428942_563424_4818.jpg

n592428942_563425_5051.jpg

Salmon and Potato Dauphine (sp?)

Fried to seal in the marinade/seasoning, then oven baked
n592428942_572419_2596.jpg

Simple recipe for Potato Dauphine :
-fry onions & mushrooms
-par boil sliced potatos
-mix milk & double cream together and slightly boil
-add onion and mushrooms to baking dish
-add a little cream and milk, then layer with sliced potatos
-add cheese on top
-bake till cream and milk have thickened and cheese has browned
n592428942_572420_2941.jpg

n592428942_572421_3257.jpg

I'll work on that presentation though!
Lol - we have the exact same plates.

Zyzyxxz

Nice apple pie there Rei_Toei!

Also lets try to keep the picture quoting to some and not all.

This is now the first time I have done a step by step instruction for something in this thread as I have usually only posted completed stuff. Anyway here is my process for Claypot rice as promised.

Claypot rice is very easy to make and the choice of toppings usually range from dried meats, salted fishes, vegetables, and so forth. The great thing about this dish is that you cannot really fudge up the rice too bad because the rice at the bottom will take all the heat if you overcook it but even then it becomes a crunchy treat that many people, like I, love to eat. Another good thing about this dish is that everything is steamed so the only oil comes from the meats.

I did not have the all the typical toppings so I made my own.

In the words of OnkelC, lets cook!

Ingredients:
[NOTE] A claypot is not required as I have done this in a glass pot and metal pot before but I believe a claypot is best and for the sake of old school-ness
-1 cup of rice
-1/4 lb ground pork
-1/2 a Chinese saussage (basically any dried Chinese meat works)
-1 and 1/2 tablespoons of black been, garlic sauce (if not available then I suppose use soy sauce and garlic, sorry the best alternative I can think of for those who dont have access to specialty asian stuff)
-bok choy (you can substitute with napa cabbage or almost any veges actually)
Soy sauce for flavoring rice
-optional: ginger for garnish
IMG_1579.jpg

First wash the rice, I did it in the claypot to save the hassle.
IMG_1580.jpg

After 5 washes it came out pretty clear for me
IMG_1581.jpg

Set the stove to med-high
IMG_1583.jpg

While the rice is cooking prepare the toppings. Slice the sausage and ground up the pork more then spread the black bean sauce over the pork and fold it into the meat. Try to keep the pork as thin as possible so it cooks faster.
IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

Now while you are preparing the toppings keep and eye on the rice, you will notice it will start boiling and water may even start seeping out, do not worry and try not to open it too much. Once the boiling stops check on the rice, once most of the liquid is gone you can put the meat in. I turned the stove down to medium at this point.
IMG_1590.jpg

Afterwards wait about 4-5 miuntes and the pork should be almost done and that is when you add the bok choy, just throw it on top and set the stove to low. At this point I also decided to garnish the pork with a little bit of ginger and added a little bit more black bean sauce because I wanted a stronger taste. After 2-3 mins the bok choy should be done, if it is soft then its good to go.

Turn off the stove set the pot aside and let it cool down, add soy sauce if desired, I recommend it and allow everything to steam inside while waiting for the pot to cooldown. End result should be similar to this, as I said you cannot really fudge this up unless you timing is really bad. So there it is enjoy, there are many variations of this so experiment with things that are not even Asian related and see how it goes.
IMG_1594.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
rei_toi, that is probably the best looking pie i have ever seen. i mean that. putting it in the spring form pan really adds quite a bit to the presentation, and your lattice work is impressive as hell. bravo

tnw

Banned
the apple tart/pie looks awesome rei toei.

and lol at roombotter. germanic languages can sound kind of funny sometimes.

nice looking nabe zyzyxxz! both the food and the pot itself.

Thanks for the step by step zyzxxz. I will attempt it once I find a claypot too. Good thing I read this. I was planning to just put my toppings on the uncooked rice and just cook the whole thing together. I didn't realize you have to somewhat cook the rice first, oops.

I made some buffalo burgers with grilled onions and provolone tonight, served on the GAF-approved bun.
burger.jpg

Sriracha and mayo "secret sauce." They came out greasy, as you can see, because I started with too much oil in the skillet and was too lazy to correct the situation. Still enjoyable, though; for as cheap as the buffalo was (~$5 for 4 5-ounce patties at Trader Joe's) and for being frozen, it made a great-tasting burger.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that works really well with canned chipotle chiles too. you add in one or two to a couple cups of mayonnaise, a tablespoon or two of the adobo sauce they're packed in, and boom--delicious chipotle mayonnaise for fish tacos.

Everything's better with mayo! I like dipping my fries in a mixture of mayo, jalapeno tabasco sauce, and ketchup. Yum.

Dinner tonight were some Hasperats (wraps for the non Star Trek people). Just basic tortilla filled with slightly marinated slices of cucumber and carrots, baby spinach, and fresh home made humus. I got the recipe from veganyumyum.
2312068410_4965ae6537_o.jpg

Flo_Evans said:
You may be able to get slightly fresher catfish though as everytime I go to the market there is a line of people buying catfish and I am the only one getting talapia. :lol
Late reply because I missed your post originally, but, yeah, that's a good point. I eat fish so rarely that when I buy it, it's generally as a last-minute whim at my small-time neighborhood grocer, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if their turnover on the stuff was slow. I'll have to try some from one of the places in my town that is more known for fish.

bovo

nakedsushi said:
I think pizza dough is supposed to be springy like that. That's good dough! Did you try stretching it by holding it up and going around in a circle shape? That's how I usually deal with the dough.

It was less 'springy' and more 'rubbery'! It kept returning to the original ball shape (it hadn't risen much either, so that's why I thought it wasn't warm enough)

It did become a bit more stretchy after the rolling pin intervention, but most of the air had been knocked out of it by then - nevermind, it's all good practice :lol

CTLance

bovo said:
It was less 'springy' and more 'rubbery'! It kept returning to the original ball shape[...]

I had the exact same thing happening to me when I baked cookies last xmas. I blamed it on the cheap flour I bought, normally I use flour from a local(ish) mill. I can't really think of anything I did differently compared to all the years before...

So maybe your flour was of the wrong type or quality?

very impressed with all the dishes! claypot rice...looks so yummy. bought some fresh oysters tonight and decided to fry them up in some leftover oil and make a salad.

salad included spring mix, honey roasted pecans, craisins, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, avocadoes, and a homemade vinegarette. fried oysters were drizzled with a wasabi cream sauce.

2313068649_53fd36de9f.jpg

Zyzyxxz

thank you smirk, I am not a fan of oysters though but maybe its because I have only had shitty ones. Your picture makes em look good though (then again what isnt good fried?)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this was in cook's illustrated, and they highly recommended it. i love new kitchen gadgets and the influx of techmology (intentional, charming misspelling) into the culinary arts, as well as the chewy corners of brownies, and i thought others here might appreciate this.

x0pftu.jpg

the interior walls help ensure even cooking through the middle of whatever you're baking, and--in the case of brownies--also add those chewy edges i love so much. they say it also works well for lasagna, which tends to get a bit goopy in the center, with the caveat that you have to cut down the noodles to fit the pan's labyrinthine structure. personally? i'm scooping one up just to make brownies and pecan bars. the corner pieces are always always always the best.

Zyzyxxz

I am surprised nobody thought up a simple design like that earlier..

Seems like it would make a good lasagna but also looks like alot of hassle

beelzebozo said:
this was in cook's illustrated, and they highly recommended it. i love new kitchen gadgets and the influx of techmology (intentional, charming misspelling) into the culinary arts, as well as the chewy corners of brownies, and i thought others here might appreciate this.

x0pftu.jpg

the interior walls help ensure even cooking through the middle of whatever you're baking, and--in the case of brownies--also add those chewy edges i love so much. they say it also works well for lasagna, which tends to get a bit goopy in the center, with the caveat that you have to cut down the noodles to fit the pan's labyrinthine structure. personally? i'm scooping one up just to make brownies and pecan bars. the corner pieces are always always always the best.

Do you know what that's called? My mother in law lurves the burnt edges.

nakedsushi: you are astute in the Japanese observation; i used panko for the fried layer.

tonight's menu: scrod with white beans and tomatoes, a drizzle of truffle oil. here are the pics i promised. recipe is here.

2315918036_f5979b055d.jpg

linguini with garlic and anchovy paste, simple prep, long taste.

2315917970_b71f765e4d.jpg

I love linguine and all types of long pasta. That looks great.

Dinner tonight was chickpea and cauliflower stew and a side of spinach salad with honey mustard dressing.
2316214720_bb25aea998_o.jpg

Two nights ago was deep fried deliciousness: potato pancakes.
2315405485_a7eba8fd26_o.jpg

Zyzyxxz

man Smirk that fish looks great!

I recently finished making a beef vegetable stew out of the slow cooker after 8 hours.

I'll take pics after I reheat for lunch tomorrow.

I have final examinations ahead of me so I decided to make a lot for quick fixes while studying

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Needless to say that you did extremely well over the last week, folks! Thank you all for sharing.The buffalo burger looked really good, makes me want to start the grill.

Weekend schedule is a roast chicken (breast) with feta, lemon and garlic and a tomato salad as side dish, tomorrow will be something really groundbreaking (think best of swiss and german combined on a platter). Stay tuned:lol

tnw

Banned
alright china irongaf I have a question for you.

I was buying some doubanjiang today, and all I could find was something I don't know how to say in English

http://youki.jp/youki/7.1/112066/

It has doubanjiang in it, but it also has some other stuff. It's not as red colored as doubanjiang is.

It actually has a very pleasant spiciness to it that reminds me of jerk spice! :)

EDIT: it's sansho! also known as sichuan pepper.

they use sansho in shichimi.

so I guess in mandarin this stuff is called 'hua jiao la jiang'

Zyzyxxz

tnw said:
EDIT: it's sansho! also known as sichuan pepper.

they use sansho in shichimi.

so I guess in mandarin this stuff is called 'hua jiao la jiang'

well I live in Southern California but its like China ver.2

Anyway that stuff is pretty good for instant flavoring of noodles I rarely use it since Sichuan stuff is out of my knowledge for the most part.

OnkelC said:
Weekend schedule is a roast chicken (breast) with feta, lemon and garlic and a tomato salad as side dish, tomorrow will be something really groundbreaking (think best of swiss and german combined on a platter). Stay tuned:lol

groundbreaking eh? I am looking forward to it, as well as the great pictures which will most likely accompany.

Dinner last night was simple and comforting, but may not be what everyone would consider delicious hehe. It's rice cooked with a pre-made packet of seasoning, mushrooms, carrots, and kombu. It's topped with lightly marinated slices of red snapper sashimi. And all that is topped with...NATTO. Yum.
2320630560_3a3703bd23_o.jpg

Breakfast was more of an American comfort food: steel cut oats topped with frozen cherries and sliced banana. I found that soaking the oats in water overnight cuts the cooking time down drastically the next morning.
2320633166_d692a865dd_o.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
natto always makes me shiver (but not in anticipation) ;) Great pics as always, thank you for sharing.

I cooked up a simple but tasty dish for saturday. Initially, I wanted to roast a chicken breast on the bone and top it off with some feta-ish crust, but that was sold out. So I bought two chicken breasts and pre-fried them in some olive oil, then seasoned them with a Gyros-style spice mix. For the topping, I blended two large garlic cloves with a pack of frozen herbs (parsley, dill, cress, chive, sorrel, borage and burnet), a bit of olive oil and a slice of toast. This went on the chicken breasts. Finishing touch was a good amount of crumbled feta cheese. Off into the oven for 15 minutes at maximum heat, and the outcome looks like this:
smallP1030432.jpg

Taste is great, I served pide/pita bread alongside it. This dish can be made for bigger numbers of guests, too.

The promised tomato salad will accompany tonights dish, which will be outrageous.

tnw

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Dinner last night was simple and comforting, but may not be what everyone would consider delicious hehe. It's rice cooked with a pre-made packet of seasoning, mushrooms, carrots, and kombu. It's topped with lightly marinated slices of red snapper sashimi. And all that is topped with...NATTO. Yum.

have you ever had bakudan (explosion) domburi?

060520200632.jpg

natto
sliced okra
tororo (ground yamaimo)
negitoro or some kind of salmon (or any kind of sashimir really)
onsen/half cooked (hanjuku) egg
squid (I usually ask for without)

mix some wasabi into some soy sauce, pour it over the top, mix vigorously. DELICIOUS

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Take one Schnitzel:
smallP1030440.jpg

top it with a bratwurst:
smallP1030442.jpg

liberally drizzle some hollandaise over it:
smallP1030443.jpg

don't be a scrooge with the raclette cheese, either:
smallP1030444.jpg

Pop in the oven, prepare some tomato salad with shallots as an alibi:
smallP1030446.jpg

FEAST!
smallP1030447.jpg

No, I will never make that again.:lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think there's only room in a life to eat one of those, onkel. i'm sure it tasted great, but the oil content blows my mind

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
it was more of an experiment than a serious dinner to be honest.:lol
Will do better next weekend, promised.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, i gotcha. when i worked the kitchen at a local swimming club, we used to make fried twinkies for the constituents; thinking that this was unhealthy enough to constitute further experimentation with abominations to the culinary arts, i stuffed a chocolate bar and two caramels in a hamburger bun, coated it in funnel cake batter, fried it, then topped it with powdered sugar. i gave it to one of my friends who worked with me, and we dubbed it--appropriately--"the fat ass"

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
it was more of an experiment than a serious dinner to be honest.:lol
Will do better next weekend, promised.

Hey experiments are for the daring and it is the daring who bring us great, new, innovative dishes!

I've done my fair share of Asian-fusion experimenting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom