• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Awesome shots, thank you for sharing! As much as Germany loves to grill sausages and stuff, the art of "real" BBQ as in grilling with a lid on is widely unknown here. One can say that Germany is famous/notorious for the "art" of speed-grilling, aka "Stuff's got to be done FAST!" :lol
Since the more expensive Weber Grills are available here and get more and more appreciated, people adapt to the concept of less heat and lid, but it happens slowly.

How did you marinate the pork?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Sunday Bolognese lunch (older pics, same result):
smallP1010368.jpg

smallP1010372.jpg

smallP1010392.jpg

smallP1010406.jpg

waxer

I like to add cremecheese and dill to my scrambled eggs. I also like the tiniest dash of sweet chilli.

Been up to visit my father and help out with my grandfathers 80th birthday. Oldest person there was 95 :O. Hope I last that long and keep that fit.
We had lamb on the spit. Camp oven veg which is deepfried potato and kumera halved/quartered and cooked super hot. Ussualy that means overiding the regulators on the gas bottle to get that little bit extra gas through. Only for the 2nd crispy dunk though. And yes that is a sink and homemade wire basket :) Spit takes about 4 hours to cook. Nothing basted on just rubbed in salt. Cook all the pumpkin in the last hour on the top racks in the spit as well.
For desert we just piled a heap of apple and berry crumbles into the oven.
Pro tip for those wanting a spit. Old washing machine motors can be used to spin them.
2vdpume.jpg

2rh08sj.jpg

bfs5ld.jpg

rh08ed.jpg

ws4g92.jpg

w9uphh.jpg

6qab8k.jpg

Not food but a carving being made for my father is coming along nicely. Just one piece missing now. Made out of pohutakawa and kauri. The kauri ranges from 1000yrs is 10,000+ year old. It all has meaning. The bottom right detailed carving has my dads uncle herding cattle. Bullocks pulling big kauri logs from the bush. And a boat that used to travel up the river there. Its surrounded in maori designs that stand for life and the continuation of family. And there are stone in the eyes and a couple of patches of white shell taken from a local beach called spirits bay. And thats just one piece.The marlin bill is a real one off a stripped marlin.
algqqc.jpg

Also had some orcas come in. Taken off the front of the house. They come in to eat the stingray.
mcgm7k.jpg

i4ldle.jpg

2gv80zl.jpg

I havnt been round in ages but OnkelC did you ever work out any nutella recipes that work. Ive been toying with the idea of a baked cheesecake with half layers. One nutella one something, maybe a liquer.

waxer: i've made a pure nutella cake before, and it turned out pretty well, albeit extremely rich. it's in this thread somewhere...

made pan-seared shrimp tonight + garlic lemon butter. great success!

2485152180_6f1f5972b5.jpg

waxer

6 inch Burger with 250g meat.
5y8bac.jpg

lemon meringue
1zvqx7b.jpg

Went into work today and made myself some lunch. Stir fry rice.
Fry up some chicken thigh and dice. Our chic is predone with paprika on it hence the colour.
Put diced chicken in pan with a dash of sweet chilli and soy sauce.
Quickly wisk up some eggs with dill, salt and pepper. Fry off, slice then put to side as it goes in last.
The rice gets fried off in oil and seseme oil with garlic. Heat up add rice and cook off. My rice was allready cooked. Add some soy to the rice.
I steamed off the veg quickly in the microwave for a few minutes.And added to the chicken as well as some peas.
Add the rice to the chic/veg mix and stir through. Taste it up now so you can stir it in properly if you add more soy.
Lastly the egg gets folded in. If you put it in earlier you will just munch it up.

Directions are muddled due to me using the comercial kitchen. I actually cook off the chicken, while steam veg and egg are also cooking and cook the rice off all in one hit. then its just a matter of mixing everything at the end. Quick and easy. Maybe 5 minutes all up. This is assuming rice is allready boiled.

2uyrk0i.jpg

flebz7.jpg

2508dax.jpg

2hxspix.jpg

33y18xj.jpg

2zr40hw.jpg

o7w1s5.jpg

Fritz

waxer said:
Not food but a carving being made for my father is coming along nicely. Just one piece missing now. Made out of pohutakawa and kauri. The kauri ranges from 1000yrs is 10,000+ year old. It all has meaning.

Wow! looks cool. I didn't know you can actualy buy kauri wood. Must be freakin expensive.

waxer said:
I like to add cremecheese and dill to my scrambled eggs. I also like the tiniest dash of sweet chilli.

Been up to visit my father and help out with my grandfathers 80th birthday. Oldest person there was 95 :O. Hope I last that long and keep that fit.
We had lamb on the spit. Camp oven veg which is deepfried potato and kumera halved/quartered and cooked super hot. Ussualy that means overiding the regulators on the gas bottle to get that little bit extra gas through. Only for the 2nd crispy dunk though. And yes that is a sink and homemade wire basket :) Spit takes about 4 hours to cook. Nothing basted on just rubbed in salt. Cook all the pumpkin in the last hour on the top racks in the spit as well.
Pro tip for those wanting a spit. Old washing machine motors can be used to spin them.
snip photos of mouth watering deliciousness

OMG that lamb looks crispy and delicious. I'm vietnamese so I did not grow up eating lamb, and a few times when I tried it at a restaurant, like braised lamb shanks, my taste buds had trouble reconciling the relatively gamy flavor. But now I am acquiring a taste for it, especially after my first taste of roasted lamb chops.

This is basically a riff on the traditional sticky-chicken Vietnamese recipe which involves caramelizing sugar, molasses, or honey in this case, to get its sweetness and "stickiness". Gordon Ramsey does a very similar recipe but adds lemon and thyme to make it his own, so I decided to try his out. Turned out well. The zestiness from the lemon was appreciated. I intend to bring it back to its vietnamese roots, though -- thyme, wtf? -- and bring in some lemon grass and fish sauce the next time around. :)

edit: hmm guess I can't
honey_lemon_chicken.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Since GAF was down, you were missing out on a fab pentecost lunch:
smallP1030748.jpg

not pictured: homemade aspic, herring dip, panfries, king prawns, home cured salmon and homemade pepper polony

but have some asparagus instead:
smallP1030816.jpg

Enjoy and share yours!

funk0ar

waxer said:

I have been thinking of organising a spit. How many people did that feed? and how long did it take to cook?

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
sushi.jpg

tonight i tried making my own sushi for the very first time!

they turned out very well, a lot better than i'd imagined for the first go at it.

i made them for jarosh's birthday, which is tomorrow. he really thought the sushi was tasty too.

pictured on the right and left sides are salmon maki rolls. in the middle in the background are cucumber maki rolls. in the middle foreground are cucumber uramaki (inside-out) rolls with poppy seed garnish.

cloudwalking said:
sushi.jpg

tonight i tried making my own sushi for the very first time!

they turned out very well, a lot better than i'd imagined for the first go at it.

i made them for jarosh's birthday, which is tomorrow. he really thought the sushi was tasty too.

pictured on the right and left sides are salmon maki rolls. in the middle in the background are cucumber maki rolls. in the middle foreground are cucumber uramaki (inside-out) rolls with poppy seed garnish.

They look good!

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
thanks guys :D

i had a ton of fun making them. i'm gonna go for something more complicated next time now that i know i can do it!

tnw

Banned
nice work cloudwalking. Looks great for a first effort, I know it can be tough to roll them so they look nice the first couple times

try making futo maki next time (basically just multiple ingredients in one roll). :)

a couple of my favorites are ume shiso and natto.

Natto goes well with kimchee and also okra! They sell both of these at the convenience stores here periodically.

1017386.jpg

oh, and happy birthday to Jarosh!

tnw said:
Natto goes well with kimchee and also okra! They sell both of these at the convenience stores here periodically.

1017386.jpg

That looks great. I love okra and natto. So slimey and delicious.

tnw

Banned
nakedsushi said:
That looks great. I love okra and natto. So slimey and delicious.

yeah me too. I also really like tororo (grated yamaimo) and nameko mushrooms too.

The convenience store Lawson's was (still is?) having this 'neba neba' (slimy foods) campaign. It's great.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
tnw said:
nice work cloudwalking. Looks great for a first effort, I know it can be tough to roll them so they look nice the first couple times

try making futo maki next time (basically just multiple ingredients in one roll). :)

a couple of my favorites are ume shiso and natto.

1017386.jpg

is that the spider web looking stuff :(

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks for the wonderful dishes, everybody!

cloudwalking, the sushi looks really good. Did you use a sushi mat to roll it?

Und herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag, jarosh!

keep sharing, folks.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
OnkelC said:
Thanks for the wonderful dishes, everybody!

cloudwalking, the sushi looks really good. Did you use a sushi mat to roll it?

Und herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag, jarosh!

keep sharing, folks.

thanks! yes i used a bamboo sushi mat for the rolling. it helps a lot if you cover it with cling wrap, especially if you make inside-out rolls.

waxer

funk0ar said:
I have been thinking of organising a spit. How many people did that feed? and how long did it take to cook?
Takes about 4 hours. The trick with a closed lid system like that, is how extremely hot it gets, so you have to keep the gas quite low. Just check for juices with a knife and know that pumping up the heat will crispen the outside at the end. It doesnt look all that crispy for the first 2-3 hours and people freak out and overcook the outside before the centre can cook.
There were 38 people and we had leftovers. Fed 4 of us dinner that night and a cottage pie made out of the meat minced the following night.
The pumpkin inside the spit took about an hour up on that top rack.
Carving it all up is another matter :)

I don't really have a recipe. I just kind of throw things together and do it by feel, but this is what I did last night.

The night before, I made a start sponge:
5g instant yeast
130g water
150g bread flour
I mixed all of that together roughly until everything is combined, then I put it in a container with a cover on top and put it on top of the fridge to rise overnight. In the morning, I put the container in the fridge because it was going to be over 90 during the day.

Then the night I want to make focaccia, I take the starter sponge, add in about 3 tbls olive oil, maybe 2 cups of bread flour, 2tsp sea salt, and then enough water to make a moist dough. I used the stand mixer to knead the dough. I just kept adding water/flour until I got the dough to be stretchy and sticky to the touch, but not wet.

Then, I put it back into my container, cover it, and let it proof/rise for another hour or until it roughly doubled.

After, I dumped it onto an oiled baking sheet and stretched the corners to make it into a rectangle. Cover it with an upside-down roasting pan and let it proof for half an hour while I preheat the oven to 450.

Finally, I stuck my fingers onto the top of the doughy rectangle to dimple it, brushed on a mixture of olive oil, chopped rosemary, chopped garlic and crumbled dry thyme all over it. Then topped it off with some random rosemary leaf to make it pretty, and put it in the oven for about 20-25 mins.

FWIW, I use a baking stone in my oven.

The cheesecake I made for my wife's birthday. It wasn't as light as I had hoped, kind of sunk toward the end of cooking. It tasted good enough that I was willing to get past that though. I just combined some elements from a few different recipes I found.

1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 pounds cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped from inside of pod and reserved
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
8 ounces melted semisweet chocolate, cooled slightly
Fresh strawberries, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch spring-form pan. In a mixing bowl, combine the chocolate wafer crumbs, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, and the butter and mix well. Press onto the bottom of springform pan and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, remaining cup of sugar, vanilla extract and vanilla bean seeds and beat until light and creamy. Add the flour to the cream cheese mixture and beat until smooth. Add the sour cream and mix well. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition until just blended. Set aside half the mixture and add the melted chocolate. Pour 1/3 of the batter into prepared pan, then the chocolate batter, the the remaining vanilla batter and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, until the center is almost set. Run a sharp knife around the rim of the pan and allow cake to cool on a wire rack before removing rim of pan. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight before serving. Cheesecake may be made up to 2 days in advance before serving and will keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.

Serve it with fresh strawberries.

2467896920_9445856dfa.jpg

2467897826_79e44bf551.jpg

2467896270_06dfc63356.jpg

2467069453_1dc7498e40.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
beautiful cheesecake and souvlaki!

cooking schedule for the weekend: Spaetzle tonight, italian restaurant tomorrow for lunch, toast hawaii for dinner.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I think they're meringues, although I'm not sure what's on top of them. I thought possibly apricots, but they're too smooth.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Threw together quite a few of these last night ;)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m277/Spidey-ORLY/n818890625_3030031_3728.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Mojito perhaps ?

Any way looks good.

tnw

Banned
I've been eating a lot of open face sandwiches on schinkenbrot lately :)

I found some spicy smoked salmon on sale at the grocery store as well as some really cheap imported french blue cheese.

So I toast the schinkenbrot. Spread some vegemite on and then stick fresh mint leaves to that. I cut and steam until cooked some small, thinly cut crumbles of japanese eggplant, crumbled french cheese, crumbled salmon. Top it all off with a dusting of a mixture of course ground black pepper and szechuan pepper (sansho).

it's REALLY nice :)

I've been using szechuan pepper a lot lately. Our cafeteria has two huge cans of both course ground black pepper and szechuan pepper, and I sprinkle it on everything Szechuan pepper isn't hot, but it has a nice slow burn (often described as 'numbing' which I disagree with) that kind of adds an umami to foods or something. mmmmm. I really like it.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
A couple of weekends' desserts. I present to you a raspberry and blackberry pie, with a pastry cream filling:
photo-9.jpg

Last night I made some strawberry shortcake using buttermilk and lemon zest in the pastry, oh it was delicious!
photo-11.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
you should all make this pie. my mum makes it all the time, and even the nay-saying evil raisin-haters have two slices. it's delicious, and though the recipe is old, classics never die

mt8mjl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom