• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight was my first time making focaccia. It came out quite tasty considering I didn't use a recipe and just winged it.

2458832796_62379b0537.jpg

easiest.bread.evar.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi, looking good! Focaccia is so easy to make and so tasty as a side, one wonders why so few people make it themselves. Great photo again, thank you for sharing!

Flo said:
Thanks! I make the pasta with gorgonzola a lot, but the cream might make it a little easier to divide the sauce over the pasta. And that garlic tip is just great, I always feel sick when I put too much garlic in my food.
You're welcome! The garlic trick also works fine when frying meats or making Pasta Aglio e Olio.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
photo-8.jpg

I made a corned beef and potato pie last night. It looks rough and ready, but I wasn't going for appearance this time! :) All I did was boil some roughly chopped potatoes with some chopped onion until tender, drained them, added a can of corned beef, a stock cube and a good squirt of HP brown sauce, mixed it up a bit and put it in a pie. I love corned beef!

Served with hot ketchup!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
that's one big ass pie!:lol
Thank you for sharing! How'd you make the pie dough?

I'm off to ze parents in law now, have some breakfast while I'm on the road (pick your fave):
smallP1030584.jpg

smallP1020006.jpg

smallCIMG4610.jpg

smallCIMG3688.jpg

smallP1000583.jpg

smallP1000511.jpg

Flo

Zyzyxxz said:
umm... scrambled eggs? :lol :lol
Mine never look like that, its so creamy and yellow. I was thinking potatoe salad maybe? Or am I saying something ridiculous now?

Hooker

No, it's not that rediculous ;). Those eggs were probably infused with cheese and were of the 'mais kippies' variety. Those are always a few tints more yellow than the standard stuff you buy at the grocery store.

And of course, the lightning helps

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tuvoc said:
what kind of jam/preserves is on the toast?
It was orange marmalade:
smallCIMG3683.jpg

Flo said:
Mine never look like that, its so creamy and yellow. I was thinking potatoe salad maybe? Or am I saying something ridiculous now?

Flo, potato salad for breakfast would be a bit too hardcore, even for me...:lol
check here for a silky smooth scrambled eggs recipe:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4296816&postcount=605
Edit: better pics here:
http://cjaeger.jrpereira.com/?p=89

smallP1010302.jpg

Zyzyxxz

hmmm Pasadena Sandwich Company...

DSC01011.jpg

I recommend this place if you are in the area, they may not look special but they tastes great.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
impressive sammich. What meats were in there and was there some kind of dressing/condiment used? I imagine only meats and cheese in that amount might have been a bit dry to chew.

Zyzyxxz

aznpxdd said:
Wow, that has to be the most meat you have crammed in your mouth. That's pretty impressive considering your records.

like they say, dress to impress.

OnkelC said:
impressive sammich. What meats were in there and was there some kind of dressing/condiment used? I imagine only meats and cheese in that amount might have been a bit dry to chew.

one of them is sliced turkey breast and roast beef with swiss cheese.

The other is sliced turkey breast and smoked ham with swiss cheese as well.

The thing is the sandwiches are not dry at all, it is very good indeed especially the ham they used. I have no idea what kind of condiment they put in but it is tasty, might be a mix of thousand island salad dressing and something else. My brother and I only were able to eat half a sandwich so the picture is the remaining leftovers. After storing them in the fridge for an hour they did get dry though so it was better to eat them while it was "fresh"

Fritz

Seriously Onkel, considering the awesome stuff you are having all the time, you should be morbidly obese. Well, I'll just be jealous and have a lame salad for dinner...
:lol that BBQ pic

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Fritz said:
Seriously Onkel, considering the awesome stuff you are having all the time, you should be morbidly obese. Well, I'll just be jealous and have a lame salad for dinner...
:lol that BBQ pic
Moderation is key. I usually only have one meal per day, so it's OK so far.

Thank you good sir.

I kind of cheat when making omelets.

I use a lid for my frying pan, and adjust the heat. At first I use warm/hot heat to get the base good and settled. Then I reduce the heat to low/medium and cover the pan with the lid so the top cooks, then add the filling to the center, fold, and turn off the heat and let it stand covered for a bit so all the fillings melt / heat.

It takes a little practice so you don't end up burning the egg, but once you get it down pat it makes preparing an omelet so much easier. :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks to you all for the wonderful pics!
The idea of an all egg-white omelette strikes me as kind of odd...

I try to arrange every food that I cook in a nice manner so that the presentation is on par with the cooked gods. There's a saying in german "Das Auge isst mit", rough translation meaning "The eye does also feast on the meal". the nearest english saying would be "The sizzle sells the steak" or something. Even a shabby meal is upped by a nice presentation IMHO.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
trancekr said:
Tomato Ramen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/2378989166_cf0381ae8f.jpg[/IMG]

Peanut butter & Miso sauce pasta

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1359/1131909413_06455a6527.jpg[/IMG]

wow I would really like to know how to make that Tomato Ramen :D

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Zyzyxxz said:
would you mind telling me how you made the tomato soup for it?

I get tired of using miso + bonito granules for my ramen soup base.

hahaha I was thinking the same thing!

Were going to have to have a Ramen cookoff!

Zyzyxxz

g35twinturbo said:
hahaha I was thinking the same thing!

Were going to have to have a Ramen cookoff!

being a college student ramen is cheap food but I try not to use the packaged seasoning because of the high sodium content. I try to get the most out of my ramen and it usually goes from being a 15 minute meal to a 30-40 minutes

hmm need to buy some pork shoulder and make roast pork for ramen in advance.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Zyzyxxz said:
being a college student ramen is cheap food but I try not to use the packaged seasoning because of the high sodium content. I try to get the most out of my ramen and it usually goes from being a 15 minute meal to a 30-40 minutes

hmm need to buy some pork shoulder and make roast pork for ramen in advance.

one of these days we are going to have to meet up and talk Ramen lol

There is this awesome Ramen place called "orochon" in downtown LA, (los angeles+san jose?) the broth is soo damn good but the noodles are meh.

Zyzyxxz

g35twinturbo said:
one of these days we are going to have to meet up and talk Ramen lol

There is this awesome Ramen place called "orochon" in downtown LA, (los angeles+san jose?) the broth is soo damn good but the noodles are meh.

as long as you don't have intentions of drugging my broth and then taking my kidney to sell it for some cash I would be down. We should do a LA-area GAF meetup as well :D

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Zyzyxxz said:
as long as you don't have intentions of drugging my broth and then taking my kidney to sell it for some cash I would be down. We should do a LA-area GAF meetup as well :D

ya kidney? nooooooo....or...nvm :lol I would be too busy stuffing my face and plus I dont roll like that lol

we should set something up though.....hmmm you gave me an idea.

edit: Spicy challenge!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mi2axGzQ6cM

tnw

Banned
trancekr said:
Tomato Ramen

2378989166_cf0381ae8f.jpg

he he, I have that exact same small bowl in the back right.

makes it seem less foreign and exotic now.

'I got it in Japan!'

'I got it in Santa Monica!'

:(

Davedough

Ok, I've yet to post in this thread and I have a crappy camera, so the food doesn't look quite as good as it was, but I like to think of myself as a rather good cook. My first entry is my Grilled salmon with saffron rice and steamed broccoli.

I didn't take any pics of the preparation of it, but this is basically what I did.
Preheat the BBQ (mine is propane) by putting it on its highest setting and closing the lid. Then reduce the heat to its lowest setting right when you put the salmon on it. This is how it will cook for the remainder of the time.
I had 3 frozen salmon fillets, I laid out some aluminum foil on the counter and put the fillets on it.
Crush 2 cloves of garlic and cover the fillets.
Chop 1/4 white onion in large pieces and place around fillets.
Put approximately 1 Tbspn of butter/margarine directly on top of the fillets, this will melt through the fillets as they cook.
Cut 1 fresh lemon in half and squeeze the juice over the pieces.
Sprinkle some distilled white vinegar over the top.
Grind fresh sea salt over the top and finish seasoning with ample amounts of seasoned salt, pepper and oregano.
Once everything is done, fold the foil over top of the salmon and pinch together the parts where they meet to make a pocket and place that directly on the grill. Close the lid to the grill and cook for approximately 45 minutes. Checking on them periodically, you will see the salmon flake apart when pressed, signifying them being done.

Saffron rice came from a package, so it was literally just boil and simmer. Steamed broccoli is pretty self explanatory.

Now, onto the goods.

2h4l5yr.jpg

Zyzyxxz

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Moral of the story? Cooking is good for the heart. But you guys already know that.

I know what you mean, I got them stressful days sometimes worrying about the future and with other personal problems. Cooking is a good time waster to keep your mind off things.

trancekr

Zyzyxxz said:
would you mind telling me how you made the tomato soup for it?

I get tired of using miso + bonito granules for my ramen soup base.

Well, the soup is pretty simple.

Just mixing chicken stock & tomato sauce and then add whatever you want. That's it.

:D

trancekr

tnw said:
he he, I have that exact same small bowl in the back right.

makes it seem less foreign and exotic now.

'I got it in Japan!'

'I got it in Santa Monica!'

:(

Actually, I stole it from my friends. :p

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cooking schedule for the pentecost weekend:
Today I'll whip up BBQ burgers (I'll try out blue cheese as topping for the first time, suggestions for relishes/other stuff to go along it are welcome).

Also today, I'll cook a bolognese sauce for sunday.

Monday will be asparagus day, served in decadent yet simplistic german style.

Stay tuned and share your stuff, folks!

DonCuco

Well now that somebody mentioned BBQ , a couple of weeks ago I did some pork butts which became pulled pork tacos and tostadas. Here are some nice pictures.

Here is a picture of the pork butts on my smoker. Butts take about 7 -9 hours

PICT0120.jpg

Here's the butt when it was done. Notice how easily it falls apart

PICT0121.jpg

Here's the tostada and pulled pork taco

PICT0125.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom