• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
twilight Princess and Jill Sandwich, thanks you for the WORTHY CONTRIBUTIONS!

I never had guarcamole as a topping for a sandwich, I usually use it as a dip for crisps...

The wedding cake toppers are a work of art, did the bride actually give you a look at her dress beforehand?

Keep sharing, folks!

Zyzyxxz

hmm ok I will try to do it soon, the only thing is I am hooked and addicted to GT5 Prologue so it might have to wait until the weekend. I'll see how hungry I feel tomorrow.

Thriller

Okay, i just made asparagus and it turned out great thats why i want to share this with you.
This is something you can make for just yourself or for the whole family, that is why the quantities of the ingredients are written down the way they are.

Ingredients :

Green asparagus (as many as you want to eat)
Slices of ham (depend in how many asparagus ypu have, you can put two in one slice aswell)
Potatoes (depends on the amount of people eating it)
salt
Cheese sause (knorr)
Any piece of meat u desire

Cut the down side of the asparagus away for about a cm and peel them carefully with a thinslicer.
Put them in cold water with a little bit of salt for about 10 minutes.
Cook them in the cold water, when it is cooking let them cook for 3 minutes, there has to be some bite left so dont overcook!

Peel the potatoes and put them in a pan with water, add a little salt and cook untill ready.

At the same time, start making your prefab cheese sauce and your piece of meat.

When all cooking is done, drain both the asparagus and the potatoes.
Take the asparagus in pairs and put them in slices of ham.

Put everything on a plate and put the cheese sause on top of the asparagus

Enjoy!!

2cptdts.jpg

Zyzyxxz

that looks good!

I have never cooked asparagus myself, though I have wanted to try bacon wrapping it as another member had done.

Zyzyxxz

Ok so lets make some fried rice.

I did not have all my usual ingredients such peas and carrots but lets go for a rustic approach

I try to use ingredients most people can find as Asian specialty items can be a nuisance sometimes. The concept is high heat and short cooking time for fried rice.

So heres what you need:

-rice (for one person I used half a cup or 4 oz.)
-1/3 of an onion sliced length-wise
-for meat I used a porkchop because that is all I had but any meat works really
- 1 or 2 eggs (your own preference)
- 2 cloves of garlic

optional:
-1 chinese sausage
- mushrooms (they did not match well to the rest of the ingredients since I was experimenting maybe I should have tried shitake instead of button shrooms)

fried_rice003.jpg

First wash the rice in cold water and put it in the rice cooker (if possible make the rice a few hours or a day in advance and put it in the fridge, cold rice makes for better fried rice because it becomes harder and is more suitable for sauteing)

slice the sausage, if you can find one in your market that is and add it to the rice when its steaming but not quite finished.

fried_rice002.jpg

Now saute the ingredients in this order:

meat -> after it browns a bit add onions and garlic -> then mushrooms last
fried_rice005.jpg

Add the rice and mash it a bit to break up the clumps, then add about 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
fried_rice007.jpg

Saute a little and then add a tablespoon of oyster sauce (the soy and oyster sauce are not exact amounts so add to your liking but be careful not to overdo it.)
fried_rice008.jpg

Next part scramble the eggs, typically we make a large, round, and thin omelette with the egg and slice it up afterwards but I was too lazy maybe when I make my usual fried rice I'll show what I mean some other time.

anyway add it into the rice and start mixing it into the rice and be quick about it.
fried_rice010.jpg

fried_rice011.jpg

And then you are good!
fried_rice015.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Very nice fried rice dish, thanks for sharing! Are those sausages common in Asia?

and ze asparagus, very nice too, but a little early in the year, isn't it?

Thanks to the both of you, keep sharing!

Thriller

OnkelC said:
Very nice fried rice dish, thanks for sharing! Are those sausages common in Asia?

and ze asparagus, very nice too, but a little early in the year, isn't it?

Thanks to the both of you, keep sharing!

Ehmm.. im not sure, i thought it was the season allready! :lol

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Not enough booze in this thread, so here's a bottle of champagne I bought for a dinner with my parents tonight.
Food is filet of deer, dunno what the condiments are. Served with that is a bottle of Clos St Jean Deus ex Machina 2004 (from Châteauneuf-du-Pape )

skumpa.jpg

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:

yes very common but luckily here in the United States there is a big enough Asian community to have chain super markets with everything I need from overseas.

Yes Boss! said:
Nice pot of Veggie Curry!

Would you mind telling me what went into it? Other than peas which I can tell from the picture. I just happen to love curry.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I continue the rice-y theme with:

Jerk Chicken with Rice & Beans!

You need for the rice:
1 tbsp butter
A handful of chopped spring onions (scallions)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200g rice (I use basmati, but any white rice will do)
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of coconut milk

For the chicken:
2 nice chicken breasts or steaks
2 tbsp Jerk spice mix
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp soy sauce

IMG_0169.jpg

Mix up the Jerk paste and marinade the chicken breasts with it
IMG_0170.jpg

While that's soaking, make the rice. Melt the butter and sautee the onions for a minute, then add the garlic and let the flavours mingle.
IMG_0171.jpg

Now add the rice and coat the grains
IMG_0172.jpg

then add the coconut milk and kidney beans
IMG_0174.jpg
IMG_0176.jpg

Let the mixture come to the boil, then turn the heat down very low. Stick the chicken in a hot oven, and occasionally stir the rice. After 10-15 minutes the rice should have absorbed the liquids and be sticky, like a thicker risotto. Take it off the heat and put a lid on it. Check the chicken, it should be done - but cut a slit in it to make sure there's no pink flesh. When all is done, serve!

IMG_0179.jpg

dkeane

Just made an amazing blue burger.
• Got some lean beef, mixed in some big chucks of good quality blue cheese, pepper and minced garlic.
• Add fresh greens, chips, ketchup, a beautiful afternoon and a beer. BAM!

tnw

Banned
Jill Sandwich said:
I continue the rice-y theme with:

Jerk Chicken with Rice & Beans!

oooou jerk! : )

My parents made jerk food all the time growing up. So great. Busha Browne's makes a great jerk seasoning.

703414.jpg

Asian gaf might be able to support me on this. I've been experimenting with sansho (sichuan pepper) lately, putting it in tare (sauces) I've been making. The tingling kind of numing spiciness (but not actually spicy) reminds me of jerk a little bit.

One thing I've found that is really good for making the jerk marinade is to add lime juice and olive oil to the jerk spice. tastes so good. I used to make jerk shrimp quite often.

Busha Browne also makes two other great sauces (they make many actually)

Loveapple sauce is a really mild spice sauce that is very very slightly sweet. Their Pucca sauce is the hotest hot sauce I've ever had. I don't really too much of it

pukka_hot_sauce.jpg

They also make pretty good chutneys :D

jet1911

Today I made some chicken ravioli. :)

Grounded chicken breast. (1 lb)

27wvl1t.jpg

+ 2 onions + 1 garlic clove + salt/pepper

10fvngm.jpg

34t4v28.jpg

+ chicken stock (1 cup)
Simmer 20 minutes

14tsqdv.jpg

After that just let the chicken cool a bit and add one egg and Parmesan cheese.

1248rjd.jpg

The dough is really easy to do.

4 cup of floor
6 eggs
a bit of salt

2f09guu.jpg

Et voila! Homemade ravioli. :)

2nbsjeu.jpg

fm5nih.jpg

OnkelC said:
awesome cake indeed! I'm impressed. How did you make it/what is the base cake?
Thanks. The whole thing is just chocolate cake pieced together with butter cream frosting. I baked it in four bread pans to get the shape, then just stacked them and covered it all in frosting.

scottnak

Some awesome photos from my genius cook of a roommate.
HomeMade Gnocchi and Garlic Bread! (Ended up doubling the Gnocchi Recipe for no reason. We had half of the gnocchi left over...)
n1222384_39276624_7274.jpg

Ratatouille! (Almost...)
n1222384_39276626_7838.jpg

n1222384_39276627_8123.jpg

2 hrs laaater... (and a very toasty living room...)
n1222384_39276630_8997.jpg

Though I didn't get to taste it... alas. And of course, we had a big bagful of sliced squash left over... not good at this measure twice chop once thing. (Wait, does that apply to food? Hmm.)

Home Made Strawberry Ice Cream too?
n1222384_39362129_8264.jpg

Yummmm!

Zyzyxxz

the food looks good, I've thought about making ratatouille but its such a pain when I think about it, maybe I'll not be lazy some day.

scottnak

Zyzyxxz said:
the food looks good, I've thought about making ratatouille but its such a pain when I think about it, maybe I'll not be lazy some day.
It was an all-afternoon event really. And even then I think there were 6 people in the kitchen altogether doing this. Probably saved it from taking even longer...

Smelled nice though. Mm mm.

dedhead54

OnkelC and everyone else who has contributed,

This thread is kick-ASS!! I've been lurking on NeoGAF for years and this thread is one of the main reasons I keep coming back. I have lurked on many chef/food forums and none have threads with this many recipes that include pictures. It's pretty impressive!

As a serious foodie/cook I am so down with this thread. I just moved back home with the parents for a couple weeks so I'll be doing less cooking but I'll try to do a couple of meals next week when I don't have to work nights.

Just wanted to say AWESOME thread! Been thinking it for a long time but never had posted to show my appreciation. :)

Zyzyxxz

dedhead54 said:

This thread is kick-ASS!! I've been lurking on NeoGAF for years and this thread is one of the main reasons I keep coming back. I have lurked on many chef/food forums and none have threads with this many recipes that include pictures. It's pretty impressive!

As a serious foodie/cook I am so down with this thread. I just moved back home with the parents for a couple weeks so I'll be doing less cooking but I'll try to do a couple of meals next week when I don't have to work nights.

Just wanted to say AWESOME thread! Been thinking it for a long time but never had posted to show my appreciation. :)

SHOW US YOUR FOOD!

anyway glad you like.

Tonight I'm doing steak with asparagus wrapped in bacon and maybe some pan fried potatoes? I dunno if I dont feel lazy.

dedhead54

Zyzyxxz said:
SHOW US YOUR FOOD!

anyway glad you like.

Tonight I'm doing steak with asparagus wrapped in bacon and maybe some pan fried potatoes? I dunno if I dont feel lazy.

I will soon. I am thinking about doing some seared scallops with swiss chard, crispy prosciutto, and a pomegranate sauce sometime over the weekend. I just came up with the dish in my head the other day and have been wanting to do it ever since.

Zyzyxxz

dedhead54 said:
I will soon. I am thinking about doing some seared scallops with swiss chard, crispy prosciutto, and a pomegranate sauce sometime over the weekend. I just came up with the dish in my head the other day and have been wanting to do it ever since.

trying to 1up me eh!

Zyzyxxz

Tonight is steak night!

Bacon wrapped asparagus, pain fried potatoes using fat from the bacon, and a nice juicy steak with some steak seasoning.

AMERICA FUCK YEAH!

IMG_1696.jpg

dedhead54

That looks excellent! Can't go wrong when cooking things in bacon fat. Especially potatoes.

I made a delcious warm bacon vinagrette the other day for a spinach salad. Killer stuff.

Zyzyxxz

ugh, haven't had much time to cook due to cramming for 4 exams.

One thing I'd like to say is anyone who does not have a cast iron skillet/pan should get one, they are great for bacon.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
dedhead54 said:

Hi dedhead, welcome to the humble cooking experience and sorry for me having overread your post in the first time. I'm looking forward to seeing your dishes.

bovo, really nice looking brat there!:lol Is it me or are you cooking more meat than in the past?

bovo

OnkelC said:
bovo, really nice looking brat there!:lol Is it me or are you cooking more meat than in the past?

This is true - the ratio of meat eaters to vegetarians in the house has gone from a fifty-fifty split, to two to one in the meat eaters favour :lol

I was lazy on Sunday and had leftover carrot-rice, so I made ochazuke. It's basically porridge made out of leftover rice and hot tea. I had half a cucumber lying around, so I sliced it up and put that in it too. It was surprisingly good and refreshing after sprinking some furakake on it and preserved veggies!

2450809525_fba6154dff_o.jpg

Also, if anyone is in LA, I found this GREAT Chinese hand-made noodle place. Review here: http://www.nakedsushi.net/2008/04/kam-hong-garden/

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
I was lazy on Sunday and had leftover carrot-rice, so I made ochazuke. It's basically porridge made out of leftover rice and hot tea. I had half a cucumber lying around, so I sliced it up and put that in it too. It was surprisingly good and refreshing after sprinking some furakake on it and preserved veggies!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2089/2450809525_fba6154dff_o.jpg

Also, if anyone is in LA, I found this GREAT Chinese hand-made noodle place. Review here: http://www.nakedsushi.net/2008/04/kam-hong-garden/

that looks good! I keep thinking you live in Japan from the pics of the food you post.

As for the noodle place it looks good, I feel like going for some beef wraps. If I remember I might try to go this weekend, as I spend most of my time in Riverside.

Dammit I miss the SGV and cheap Asian food!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Leftover smoked salmon frittata with sauted mushrooms, onion and garlic, and sour cream sauce with dill, garlic and french mustard.

Ok, the g/f made the frittata, but at least I helped to flip it :p

asdfg004.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Keen said:
Leftover smoked salmon frittata with sauted mushrooms, onion and garlic, and sour cream sauce with dill, garlic and french mustard.

Ok, the g/f made the frittata, but at least I helped to flip it :p

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r112/Keen_78/asdfg004.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

that looks great!

Did you at least do the no-hand flip for extra style points?

Hah, I know I do alot when I cook eggs.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Zyzyxxz said:
that looks great!

Did you at least do the no-hand flip for extra style points?

Hah, I know I do alot when I cook eggs.

thanks!

No, I didn't dare to do that. With pancakes yeah, with a huge ass frittata no way :D I used a plate and then just slid it into the pan again.
I assume you mean to flip the pan so the frittata makes a 180 backflip? If I missed that the g/f would've killed me :D

Wow frittata looks great! How many eggs were in there? I always want to make frittata, but too many eggs at one time makes me feel sick.

Zyzyxxz

Keen said:
thanks!

No, I didn't dare to do that. With pancakes yeah, with a huge ass frittata no way :D I used a plate and then just slid it into the pan again.
I assume you mean to flip the pan so the frittata makes a 180 backflip? If I missed that the g/f would've killed me :D

but had you succeeded the rewards would have been greater than the consequences if ya know what I mean.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great looking frittata indeed, thanks for sharing! The sauce in particular sounds really good, too, will try that out. And I can think of no one who flips a frittata freehand:lol

I'll do Tagliatelle with a gorgonzola/mushroom sauce tonight, anybody interested in the recipe/preparation pics?

Flo

OnkelC said:
Great looking frittata indeed, thanks for sharing! The sauce in particular sounds really good, too, will try that out. And I can think of no one who flips a frittata freehand:lol

I'll do Tagliatelle with a gorgonzola/mushroom sauce tonight, anybody interested in the recipe/preparation pics?
Yes!!

tnw

Banned
interesting ochazuke nakedsushi. I've never seen it made with those ingredients before. I don't really like ochazuke though, so I might really like that one! Did you use katsuo dashi? I think that's the big reason I don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom