• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
oh god, i'm so hungry right now.... i'm going to heat up a pie my mum gave me this weekend.

god i love my mum! :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I'll whip up a few Club sandwiches tonight. Earlier sessions looked like these:
smallP1010824.jpg

smallCIMG3184.jpg

smallCIMG3183.jpg

Priz

Last weekend I went to Toronto, Canada for Anime North. Now for those who actually know me, I'm sure they'd ask "But Priz, you live in the San Francisco Bay Area. You have a Sci-Fi/Fantasy con AND a local anime con that weekend with bigger attendance numbers and guests than the one in Canada, why not stay home that weekend?" There's this girl I've been chatting with for 10 years online, now really famous, she was a guest of honor at the convention. I hung out with her fans from Japan and her small but faithful US fan club following to lend her support in the US. ($139 each way from SFO and free hotel/free badge was the clincher.)

While there, I tried a variety of food. On Saturday night, we went to CN Tower and had reservations at 10pm (earliest we could get for a party of 13). It was 7:30 though and I had yogurt for breakfast and nothing since, so I was starved. In front of the CBC/Convention Center/CN Tower are a few "Roach Coaches" (but they call them "Chip Trucks" in Canada). Got great service and great food off one of them called Don Juan. Tried Poutine for the first time and really enjoyed it.

2527980587_383a867ed5.jpg

That held me over until we went up into the CN Tower and ate at the rotating touristy fancy restaurant up there, the 360. I had the four course meal:

I started with an Amuse Bouche - GOAT’S CHEESE AND BRAISED LEEK TART
Spinach and garlic aioli
2527985841_ed1086b144.jpg

Second Course - TARRAGON INFUSED WILD MUSHROOM AND LEEK BROTH
Summer chanterelles, truffle oil, scallion threads
2528806286_f05c4f2f0b.jpg

My Main Course - GRILLED CANADIAN AAA STRIPLOIN STEAK
WITH BUTTERMILK MASHED POTATOES
Balsamic roasted mushrooms, creamed spinach, beet and apple horseradish
2528807106_8ca42a606c.jpg

and FINALLY - the Dessert Course - VANILLA PANNA COTTA ON NEWFOUNDLAND SHORTBREAD
Fresh summer strawberry and mango salad, strawberry gelato
2528807880_97ce6f65cb.jpg

$68 + tax + tip. Not bad food, but not exceptional. It was good for what it was. I actually enjoyed the service and such of the Chip Truck food more (believe it or not!) :lol

The next night we went to the Rainforest Cafe and the service sucked (for me). They mention having this show of the animals "performing" every 22 minutes (overheard someone mention that to the people they seated next to us). We ordered our drinks, waitress returned with drinks and took our food orders. Anamatronic performance as we finished our drinks. I ordered a Caesar Salad & Pork Chop w/Garlic Mashed Potatoes and such... friend gets his appetizer, no salad, no refills. another anamatronic show occurs - still no refills but my friends food arrives. Everyone's but mine. When they get about 2/3rds done with their meals, the waitress comes to check on us. (First time we've seen her since placing an order.) She makes a smartass comment about how I must have loved my food so much, I already cleaned the plate and it's been taken by the busboys. I tell her I never received anything, not even the salad. She simply says "oh" and 5-10 minutes later returns with my main dish. I ask her if she could do me one favor and remove the salad from the bill since I never received it. She said she'd do that right away and at that moment, THEN we got refills of our drinks. Friend ordered the same pork chop dinner and mine was at least 50% smaller than his. sigh. (He had something added to his that wasn't standard so that's how we knew when it came his vs. mine.) The bill came - guess what was on there. I asked her again to remove it and she seemed annoyed that I asked her that but seriously - you couldn't check on us for 22 minutes? Screw you.

The next day we dropped the Japanese guys off at the airport and went to get lunch at a place called Montana's. I, being a huge fan of pulled pork and carnitas, had to order their signature pulled pork sandwich!

2527231838_3c0b374101.jpg

After the service the night before, this waitress was on top of EVERYTHING. Extra Napkins without asking because it could be messy? Check. Refills on drinks without even having to ask before they were 1/3rd empty? Check. Constantly checking to see if we needed anything? Friend said "These fries would be better if we could dip them in that barbecue sauce." She was nearby so in less than a minute of requesting it, there was a side of BBQ sauce on the table. Good food and great service. I made sure we overtipped her by a few bucks (I threw in a $5 just for tip) because I was so happy with the food and the service. I definitely would go back to Montana's if I ever find myself in Toronto or anywhere else they're located. As we were waiting on someone using the bathroom, I mentioned to the host up front about the service the night before and he mentioned going there with his girlfriend for her birthday and the food came out quickly, but the service was terrible, but he felt biased considering where he worked. Nice folks.

I thought I'd share my photos and such from this trip.

SRG01

Zyzyxxz said:
soak up flavor, but don't onions have a high water composition percentage?

Hmm, true.

I should just try and find out what they put inside samosas to hold the filling together.

It was my birthday this weekend, yay!

2547581072_c9056ff085.jpg

The BF made chocolate cupcakes and delicious chocolate glaze. All vegan!

2546746833_4989e0fbf2.jpg

Then went to the parents' for dinner the next day and they made home made dumplings. I brought a ton of leftovers home =D

2547581246_8084b36b44_o.jpg

Not related to any birthday meals, but I had some spicy beef noodles (mala niou rou mien) that kicked my ass. I could only finish 1/4 of it before it got to be too spicy.

Zyzyxxz

Priz said:

now thats food, rustic shit FTMFW. Classy is nice and all but the rigidity of those types of restaurants usually are a turn off for me.

NomarTyme said:
What kind of dumplings are those? never see them brown.

only the bottom is browned from being burned a little, the rest looks grey on my monitor.

Most likely its just the lighting that screwed up the color, its probably white IRL.

dedhead54 said:
Those spicy beef noodles look great. I would love a good recipe for something like that, if you have one, nakedsushi.

Sorry, I don't have a recipe for that one. I ordered it at a restaurant.

tnw

Banned
happy birthday nakedsushi!

food looks great as always.

I made some vegan gyoza awhile ago that i posted about. I used gluten burger for filling as well as nira onions and maitake mushrooms.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
^ I love fish collars. Kim-chi fried rice looks delicious. Is there anything that can't be improved with kim-chi? I think not.

yeah recently I've been adding kimchi to a bunch of stuff because I bought a jar that was on sale. I tried some and it turned out to be too salty so I used it on all my food to get rid of it.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
very nice indeed! Thank you for sharing. Did you marinate the salomn before grilling?

yes it was a pretty simple marinade.

2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sake
1 tablespoon of rice wine/mirin

I cooked it on a cast iron grill pan.

CTLance

I love the summer.
1 piece of dead animal
+ 1 splash of oil
+ paprika, pepper, rosemary, garlic, coriander, other mixed spices
+ some coal
+ fire
= one very very happy CTLance.

10f55ds.jpg

sy4iaa.jpg

Krautgaf, represent. ;)
I love grilled nearly-charred meat. No joke. My cellphone camera makes it look worse than it was, though.

Btw, for accuracys' sake: I'm cheating, this is from one week ago. I was away from the cellphone-enabled Mac, hence the delay.
Bummer that it's been raining for a few days now...
ah well, the plants need the water.

:(

:(

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
YAY BBQ! :)
I'll slap a few Bratwursts on the Grill tomorrow for the game.

What's on GAF's plates for the weekend? SHARE IT!

jarosh

OnkelC said:
i just made some dal.

incredibly simple yet unbelievably delicious. it's all about the spices really.

dal.jpg

ingredients: red lentils, tomatoes, leek (or onion and garlic)
spices: turmeric, garam masala, coriander, cumin, chili chunks/flakes/powder, salt

jet1911

OnkelC said:
YAY BBQ! :)
I'll slap a few Bratwursts on the Grill tomorrow for the game.

Yay BBQ indeed. :D

Tbones + filet mignon + potatoes/turnips/onions

2559112650_8f093a6ce9_o.jpg

2559112794_2c14180804_o.jpg

2559112912_9459138903_o.jpg

2558288559_0e219cfca8_o.jpg

2559113186_c2d9a82b43_o.jpg

:D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Seems to be Steak day on GAF, I whipped up these:
smallP1030953.jpg

smallP1030954.jpg

The wife made a really good potato side dish, precooked potatoes, mushrooms and onions seasoned with BBQ spice mix, roasted in the oven for around 20 minutes with some olive oil.

Enjoy!

Zyzyxxz

nice looking steaks Jet and Onkel, damn your pics make me ashamed of my lamb chops....

just some grilled lamb chops, pan fried potatoes and bacon served with sambal spiced rice.

I DECLARE TODAY, GAF MEAT DAY!
2559285720_12c9d89636_b.jpg

2558462647_1678ed1887_b.jpg

Hah, it's funny how everyone just had steak today. The dal looks good and easy to make. I'm inspired to make some for dinner next week.

Zyzyxxz

well heres something a little less meaty for dinner. I left one unwrapped so you guys could see what they look like.

Its that time of year again and my grandma made a batch of rice dumplings and they are great for a quick meal.

Inside: peanuts, chinese sausage, slice of salted egg, maize, waster chestnut, salted pork belly, and I think something else. Not too sure I just eat not make it.

2559482079_9d64b5c64e_b.jpg

2560305262_6759db3094_b.jpg

tnw

Banned
mmmmm, dal.

you guys, I'm already starting to miss food here.

I went to a hokkaido ramen place with a friend today in Ginza. I had kimchee ramen that came with the most perfectly made egg. still slightly gooey in the middle.

Then we went to a wagashi store nearby in ginza and bought some kuromame (black soybean) sembe.

And then I got all verklempt at another wagashi store when I found a local delicacy of Miyazaki prefecture, where I lived when I was a CIR on JET.

;_;

well, the dal will be better in london at least.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz, very nice rice dumplings! consider yourself luck to have a granny that can cook that good. The lamb chops are also decent, no eed to be ashamed at all.

Keep sharing, folks!

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
I love those! I didn't know they were called dumplings though. We call it 'zong zhi' but to non-Chinese people, I call them "Chinese Tamales".

yeah I don't think there is any good english name for them.

I use to call em bamboo leaf rice, I don't think dumpling fits its description very well but yeah my grandma and mother make em the best, I've had plenty from other relatives and family friends and I know her variation taste better than the rest.

2567206536_2fe3d08d82.jpg

The BF made dinner tonight, so other than picking out the awesome bowl, I can't claim credit to it. He made some macrobiotic bowl of veggies & black-eyed peas that tasted pretty tasty for being macrobiotic. I think it was the savory tofu sauce that did the trick. All of it was over brown rice, so I was stuffed by the time I was halfway through the bowl.

bovo

A rather messily presented spaghetti bolognese - made with soya mince for the vegetarians out there.

Soya mince is bizarrely one of the few meat subsitutes I actually prefer to the real thing (in bolognese at least)

(although not all soya mince - some I've had is indistinguishable from cardboard...)

Ingredients: mince (soya), onion, garlic, tomatoes, basil

So, when making a Bolognese sauce, is it better to add (and reduce) the milk or the wine first? The dish seems to pop up fairly often, so what's the GAF verdict?

bovo

The bolognese I made is not very authentic - mainly due to not being made with meat.

It doesn't have wine in it - and I've never heard of adding milk...

Mine is basically the 1970's UK version of bolognese :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Awesome dishes, everybody! nakedsushi, consider yourself gifted to have two adept cooks in a single household. :) Do you know how macrobiotic families call their kids to dinner?
Kids, come to table, the dinner is withering...

bovo, nice bolognese, how long do you have to cook the soy mince. very nice presentation, too.

Zyzyxxz, after watching Tampopo last weekend, the Ramen makes me drool. How did you bread the Jap schnitzel?

slidewinder said:
So, when making a Bolognese sauce, is it better to add (and reduce) the milk or the wine first? The dish seems to pop up fairly often, so what's the GAF verdict?

Milk in bolognese is the traditional recipe. I wouldn't add it until 15 minutes before serving because the acids from the tomatoes and the wine might cause it to curdle otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom