• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trancekr

Pork Cutlet...:D

2569105548_d335322bf2.jpg

2568281261_09f20c26d1.jpg

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Zyzyxxz, after watching Tampopo last weekend, the Ramen makes me drool. How did you bread the Jap schnitzel?

Thanks for the kinds words.

Nothing out of the ordinary except I seasoned the meat with spices before breading.

I just season -> cover with flour -> dip into egg mix ->flatten and push into a pile of panko bread crumbs on each side until the entire piece of meat is coated and gave it a light shake before frying to get off any loose breading.

jet1911 said:
1oao12.jpg

Soooo good. <3

aww man you making me anxious to finish my exams so I can go back home to grill some ribs too. Expect pics boys.

Your stuff looks good too Trancekr, strangely I just made some pork cutlet curry yesterday, but alas no pics.

trancekr

Zyzyxxz said:
Your stuff looks good too Trancekr, strangely I just made some pork cutlet curry yesterday, but alas no pics.

Thanks, man. I also like the pork cutlet curry. It is one of my favorite dishes.
Probably, I will make that one tomorrow. :D

Zyzyxxz

trancekr said:
Thanks, man. I also like the pork cutlet curry. It is one of my favorite dishes.
Probably, I will make that one tomorrow. :D

what oil do you fry your cutlet in?

I've been using canola oil and it seems reduce alot after I am done.

Too bad curry+pork cutlet is so unhealthy or I'd eat it at least once a week.

trancekr said:
Pork Cutlet...:D
2569105548_d335322bf2.jpg

That looks delicious! I love a good macaroni salad.

My stomach is having some problems (to put it lightly) with some sushi I had for lunch today, so I tried to keep dinner simple and bland. Although now that I think of it, maybe vegetables are not so easy to digest.
2569989860_a49f79fe98_o.jpg

The big green plate on the left is a Chinese vegetable called ong choy or kai xing chai. It's like a non-bitter and more tender version of spinach, but with hollow stems. The small green plate is just some pea sprouts sauteed with garlic. The black stuff is hijiki (a type of seaweed) salad I made the night before.

bovo

OnkelC said:
bovo, nice bolognese, how long do you have to cook the soy mince. very nice presentation, too.
The vege-mince (I've looked it up - it's made with wheat protein as well as soya protein) is frozen - instructions say add to the sauce and cook for 10 minutes. I just add it at the beginning and cook as if its 'real' mince. But that's just the way I'm used to cooking bolognese...

For those interested, this is it:
abjo0w.jpg

I may take a picture of it in frozen form later, if I get the chance...

shinjijai

nakedsushi said:
That looks delicious! I love a good macaroni salad.

My stomach is having some problems (to put it lightly) with some sushi I had for lunch today, so I tried to keep dinner simple and bland. Although now that I think of it, maybe vegetables are not so easy to digest.
2569989860_a49f79fe98_o.jpg

The big green plate on the left is a Chinese vegetable called ong choy or kai xing chai. It's like a non-bitter and more tender version of spinach, but with hollow stems. The small green plate is just some pea sprouts sauteed with garlic. The black stuff is hijiki (a type of seaweed) salad I made the night before.

how did you cook the water spinach? i normally like to cook it with some fermented tofu.

trancekr

Zyzyxxz said:
what oil do you fry your cutlet in?

I've been using canola oil and it seems reduce alot after I am done.

Too bad curry+pork cutlet is so unhealthy or I'd eat it at least once a week.

Usually, I'm using canola oil and olive oil mix. But sometimes add little bit of butter also.

MrSingh

I seldom take pictures of what I cook, but here are a few:

1240477644_8002fe12a7_b.jpg

Home curry party

62344427_03af7d204a_b.jpg

Quick pasta dinner

68989134_7f86b23a65_b.jpg

Pan seared tuna pasta

71177922_b344e52021_b.jpg

Cajun salmon

292376282_38804aa8e1_b.jpg

Cheese fondue party

2485713557_7540e1d07a_b.jpg

Sausage and beans chili

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
MrSingh, thank you very much for sharing. You should take pics more often, because your dishes as well as the photos are lovely. Great addition to the thread, I'd like to see more of you skills! :)

If possible, add a few recipes, too!

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Oh boy! Now I can contribute too!
ribsss.jpg

ribss.jpg

ribs.jpg

Basically used a rub very similar to the Alton Brown rub featured on Good Eats (with some minor adjustments for taste), then used a slow cooking method, similar to this one. The mop was pure apple juice.

The packets on the sides are baby potatoes in a little olive oil and rock salt, and up top is garlic bread with Asiago and French goat cheese (the name escapes me, but its soft like cream cheese).

Also, even though not really homemade, they were followed up with cupcakes from the tastegasm inducing Crave Cupcakes here in Calgary.
cupd.jpg

God I love birthday parties!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Skittleguy, great pics!

Our local discount store had "British weeks" last week, cod in batter with oven potatoes tonight. Stay tuned.

And share your stuff, of course.

DonCuco

Well father's day is going to be the rib battle day. I also decided to do some baby back ribs on my smoker and some chicken.

Baby back in the rib rack sweating in the smoker.

PICT0126.jpg

Here they are done and ready to slice

PICT0129.jpg

Sliced up hmm hmm

PICT0130.jpg

Chicken and ribs

PICT0131.jpg

Zyzyxxz

ooh I've never had paella but everytime I see it I want it more

Here is my contribution for today

Malaysian chicken curry for lunch
2585161666_af71ed0481_b.jpg

Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner based off OnkelC's recipe but modified, thanks for the inspiration!
2585728899_bc58cbdbcb_b.jpg

Eeikod

That paella looks great, but I have always been told that no paella should have meat and seafood together, it's either one or the other. At least that's how it's here in Valencia.

Still, an awesome paella, i'm just being picky :D

Kawaii

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I'll try to type up a recipe tomorrow.

Edit:

Eeikod, Really? We have our own recipe for Paella, but its based on a recipe for "Paella Valencia" if i'm correct, which has both mussels and shrimps as meat like drumsticks, chorizo and cow meat (karbonade?? in dutch). Or atleast chicken and seafood.

Eeikod

Uhm.. that's called "Mixed Paella" (Paella Mixta). There are hundreds of types of paella around, traditionaly the one originary from Valencia it's done with Chicken, Rabbit, Vegetables and Snails :D (yummi). Seafood paella is also widely known, and the one you made; Paella Mixta, that's usually the one you can find in most Spanish restaurants around the world, but while popular in Spain too, it's not really recognized in Valencia.

Btw great thread guys, I'm not much of a cook but I'll try to upload something sometime.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz, nice bolognese! What did you modify?

Eeikod, looking forward to seeing you contributions.

Kepp'em coming, folks.

Holy fucking crap at this thread. It's my first time here, but judging from those meat plates, I now know how people in the U.S. can get so fat. The portions you're eating make for almost two days of eating for me. :lol

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Zyzyxxz, nice bolognese! What did you modify?

The only thing I had in common with yours was tomato paste, half pork half beef, oregano, diced onions, and grated carrots.

No stock cube or tomato sauce but I used spaghetti sauce instead and that was flavorful enough for me. I just used your recipe as a starting point for mine.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Here's the cod from sunday:
smallP1040024.jpg

was quite nice, actually.

Today, I fell for ze fast food trap. What looks like a serving a humble person could get feast on:
burger_king_six_pack.jpg

Turns out to be THE RIPOFF OF THE DAY! :(
smallP1040027.jpg

smallP1040028.jpg

Burgers for your little sisters dollhouse. FOR SHAME!

Share yours, folks.

OnkelC said:

Aw, is that a mini slice of bacon in the burger? Looks delicious. I love miniature, edible food.

Dinner tonight for me was seared mackerel. I wish I could take credit for the dinner, but most of it was store bought because I was lazy and hungry. The mackerel was already pre-seasoned when I bought it. I just had to plop it onto the pan. I did make cucumber salad though =)

2591141203_a34abe74f9.jpg

Tuvoc

OnkelC said:
Burgers for your little sisters dollhouse. FOR SHAME!

You need
353px-White_Castle_logo.svg.png

and
theenemy.jpg

I know what you're thinking. And yes, it is in fact a cardboard briefcase filled with 30(or 100!) little hamburgers.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I'd love to have White Castle Burgers, shame that I'll have to go intercontinental for them :(

Awesome mackerel dinner, nakedsushi!

pn18

Banned
Roasted dumplings (a traditional Austrian simple fare):

2yvm6nn.gif

2ywwt2b.jpg

Too bad I currently have no herbs, so it doesn't look as good as your eyecandies. :(

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I could down two plates of roast dumplings right now, pn18! Thank you for sharing, and extra props for the great presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom