• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Lunch:

2593363058_48e976f49a_o.jpg

Squid fried in herb-butter over baby spinach with a balsamic vinegraitte.

I NEED YOUR HELP GUYS!

Me, my wife and friend are having a chilli-cookoff and I totally don't know how to cook.

I have been smack talking for weeks so I need one of you awesome cooks to give me a simple yet awesome killer chilli recipe!

Is this going to be authentic chilli-cookoff? I'm not sure I can help you there. I guess put in some roasted jalopeno peppers? Those are always good. I like to ditch the chili powder because it's weaksauce and replace with cayenne pepper. That gives it a nice heat.

And then top it off with fresh baked corn bread!

Zyzyxxz

The Internet said:
I NEED YOUR HELP GUYS!

Me, my wife and friend are having a chilli-cookoff and I totally don't know how to cook.

I have been smack talking for weeks so I need one of you awesome cooks to give me a simple yet awesome killer chilli recipe!

Wanna try going a unique route?

experiment with sichuan peppers
sichuan_peppers.jpg

Just dont try using too many of the seeds, they are blisteringly hot.

Taking the advice of pootle in a recent thread about beef jerky , I made some at home in my oven.

The marinade ingredients (prepared crushed ginger in the bottom right; fresh would've been better):
jerky-1.jpg

Not pictured here, but I also added a few cloves of crushed garlic, and a little sugar. The marinade itself:
jerky-2.jpg

Cutting up strips of a top round steak.
jerky-3.jpg

I could've taken more care in keeping the strips of similar thickness; as it was, I ended up pulling a few of the thinnest ones out of the oven before most of it was nearly ready. I also should've done a better job of trimming ALL of the visible fat; even the few small bits that I didn't bother with ended up rendering and sort of sliming-up a few of the strips.

The strips, having been marinated overnight in a plastic bag, ready to go into the oven.
jerky-4.jpg

As pootle suggested, I kept my (ancient electric) oven on a very low heat, with the door propped open a bit to let moisture escape. A meat thermometer I left in there showed a temperature of around 145F, which was around what most google wisdom seemed to suggest for this.

The finished product:
jerky-5.jpg

The thinnest strips were done in around 3.5 hours, with the rest of them taking around 5 hours total. Relative humidity here was around 8%, which is very low, so I expect it'd take a bit longer in most parts of the world.

For a first try, it came out surprisingly well. I took major liberties with pootle's suggested marinade, and mine could've used more spice (not just with regard to heat), even though I felt like I was going pretty heavy in that respect. I'll take more care actually slicing the meat next time, as mentioned; I think I'll probably also go with a small 'roast' cut for some wider strips next time.

MercuryLS

Banned
First ever meal I've ever attempted to make. Spinach and Eggplant Cannelloni.

Here's the recipe: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/882/spinach+and+eggplant+cannelloni

Total cost was around $30 ($10 of that went to getting a block of fresh parmesan, sooo worth it), pretty pricey I must say but there's a ton of food that came out of it. It actually compares favorably to the S&E Cannelloni I had at a fancy Italian restaurant, which surprised me.

Anyways, here's the pics:

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

I look forward to joining GAF's cooking crew. My goal is to make one gourmet dish a week. Hopefully I can stick to that.

Zyzyxxz

looks good but where is the money shot! I was hoping there would be a cross section view when I scrolled down.

Either way sounds good that you liked it, hope to see more good food from you in the future.

leftovers for dinner tonight from my grandmother's 80th birthday lunch. She treated us all so well, LOBSTER DAMMIT! LOBSTER! Grandma = I lub her

starting from the top of the plate and going clockwise: white chicken, sweet and sour pork chop, stir fried veges and meats, bok choy vegetables, and in the middle is a giant lobster claw. I think I ate an entire lobster for lunch though.
2603388298_e6f218377e_b.jpg

AirBrian

OK, GAF cooks, view this next one with an open mind!

Curried Macaroni

Ingredients:

1 medium onion
1 can Spam Lite (Spicy Spam works well too)
~2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
Butter/margarine/olive oil
3-4 tablespoons of yellow curry (spicy yellow curry works well too)

DSC_8765.jpg

Directions:

Prepare the macaroni noodles according to the package directions.

While that's going, cut up the onion and brown with some butter/margarine/olive oil.

DSC_8768.jpg

While that's going, cut up the Spam into small squares.

DSC_8771.jpg

Add Spam to onions and brown Spam.

DSC_8777.jpg

Add cooked macaroni noodles to Spam and onions.

DSC_8780.jpg

Stir in the curry and a little more butter/margarine/olive oil.

DSC_8785.jpg

Reduce heat to low and stir occasionally for about 5-10 mintues, depending on how well you want it done.

DSC_8783.jpg

That's it! Super easy and oh so good! Some people I know will also add ketchup to it, but I've never tried that. I like it pure. Well, pure as far as Spam standards. :lol

DSC_8794.jpg

Zyzyxxz

I've made similar stuff when I have random stuff in the fridge, hey if whatever you cook taste good to you then more power to ya. I love anything with curry in it though so thumps up from me.

I didn't know there was spam lite though or a spicy variant. Food knowledge +1.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
AirBrian, no need to be ashamed, that's some honest, sould food like dinner! +1 for making the best from few ingredients.

MercuryLS, awesome first dish! i can imagine the rich texture, eggplant casserole (melanzane al forno) is one of my fave first plates at italian restaurants:

smallP1020880.jpg

Zyzyxxz, make sure to be kind to your granny so she can cook such goodness for many years to come.

jarosh, looks professional. the bottom left roll in the last pic looks like it is smiling...:lol

thanks to all of you, keep sharing please!

painey

I know this isn't food I made but as an Englishman it is all very foreign to me, food I ate whilst in New York city in May.

2557605857_6413ac131b_b.jpg

McDonalds Large (they dont joke around when they call it large) 1/3rd lb Angus Beef burger with onions and Bacon. Absolutely gorgeous, tasted too good to be a fast food burger.

2557605667_9b4baae77f_b.jpg

Mustard and Ketchup coated Hot Dog w/ bag of Peanuts at Shea stadium (I have a tradition of taking a photo of the cap I am currently wearing with my food :lol )

2558429468_185a99935c_b.jpg

Nathans famous in Coney Island, I wasnt even that hungry but i HAD to get a Corndog.. this was such a tasty meal, i really had low expectations and it surpassed them.

2558429698_37d5a10b80_b.jpg

Footlong hot dog at Yankee Stadium with coke in a keep-cup. Ticket is included because it was my 22nd birthday.

2557606583_05d633284a_b.jpg

A hideous photo of some of the best burgers ive ever eaten.. White Castle is so good, it just doesnt photograph well.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
that's the first time i have seen a white castle burger in the wild. The hot dog pics as well as angus burger look awesome, too. How would you compare a white castle burger to, say, a McD cheeseburger, taste-wise? and how much are/were they?

painey

They taste quite similar taste to a mcdonalds hamburger, very sweet, you cant taste the onions. They are very thin patties and a bit soggy but 4 bites of bliss :D I cant remember how much the meal cost, but the basic meal was 4 burgers, fries and a drink which you fill yourself. There were some crazy people in when we visited, people asking for odd requests like rare burgers and one particular guy was adamant he didnt want onions, asking for no onions around 30 times.

jet1911

Noodles + tomato sauce I made at my job today(tomatoes/celery leafs/oregano/basil/onions/salt/pepper) + a big chunk of cream cheese.

spc2h5.jpg

vr3o2c.jpg

The tomato sauce is really simple to make and it taste incredible.

Dinner today was a simple scrambled eggs with chives on toast. The BF, vegan for 15 years, found some eggs from free range chickens on a farm that doesn't kill chickens, so he's eating eggs again, yay!
2606878650_21c153c2af_o.jpg

My lunch was at a ramen place:
2606050343_f4bcb1cc51_o.jpg

jarosh

MercuryLS said:
I'm totally going to try doing this. Is there a website out there with some tips?
there's tons. google "how to make sushi". there's also some really good videos on youtube. i followed this one loosely for some of my california rolls: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nz9EAqTBrNw.

honestly, you don't even NEED raw fish. there's so many different kinds of sushi and personally i don't like the ones with raw fish at all. yet i loooooove sushi. you can make california rolls (avocado, cucumber, mayo, crab meat or surimi), all kinds of vegi sushi (cucumber, carrot, peppers), sushi with smoked salmon (and cream cheese), sushi with egg, cooked or fried shrimp etc...

you can find instructions on how to make these and so many more online. just google it. and honestly, making sushi isn't all that complicated and it's harder to screw up than you might think at first.

OnkelC said:
jarosh, looks professional. the bottom left roll in the last pic looks like it is smiling...:lol
haha thanks.

Acid08

Banned
My crapily made, but SO DELICIOUS, dinner. Turkey burgers with thick bacon and Tillamook Sharp Cheddar slices. I made the burgers in my George Foreman grill and the bacon in the pan. My dad(I'm 17) told me that I should make the bacon in the microwave and that sounded disgusting. My dad made the little vegetable medley thing and it wasn't very good :(. But here it is:
IMG_0355.jpg

Looks basic but it was SOOOOOOOOOO good.

MercuryLS

Banned
jarosh said:
there's tons. google "how to make sushi". there's also some really good videos on youtube. i followed this one loosely for some of my california rolls: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nz9EAqTBrNw.

honestly, you don't even NEED raw fish. there's so many different kinds of sushi and personally i don't like the ones with raw fish at all. yet i loooooove sushi. you can make california rolls (avocado, cucumber, mayo, crab meat or surimi), all kinds of vegi sushi (cucumber, carrot, peppers), sushi with smoked salmon (and cream cheese), sushi with egg, cooked or fried shrimp etc...

you can find instructions on how to make these and so many more online. just google it. and honestly, making sushi isn't all that complicated and it's harder to screw up than you might think at first.

haha thanks.

Thanks dude, I just went out and bought all the ingredients to make some salmon and avocado sushi. I checked some online guides and it doesn't seem too hard. Can't wait.

Flo_Evans

OnkelC said:
that's the first time i have seen a white castle burger in the wild. The hot dog pics as well as angus burger look awesome, too. How would you compare a white castle burger to, say, a McD cheeseburger, taste-wise? and how much are/were they?

White Castle is TOTALLY diffrent that a McD's burger. They steam them with onions on the grill so the meat never really browns, its just kind of mush. Tasty, greasy mush. :D

Normally they come with no ketchup or sauce, just pickles and onions.

They cost about $.60 for a burger $.80 for a cheeseburger and $2.00 for the double.

double_cheeseburger_lg.jpg

yum!

You can get them pre-made frozen and microwave them yourself for a pretty good replication of the real thing Onkel.

and painey, you went to NYC but didn't go to a jewish deli or a italian pizza place? FAIL.

Zyzyxxz

Acid08 said:
My crapily made, but SO DELICIOUS, dinner. Turkey burgers with thick bacon and Tillamook Sharp Cheddar slices. I made the burgers in my George Foreman grill and the bacon in the pan. My dad(I'm 17) told me that I should make the bacon in the microwave and that sounded disgusting. My dad made the little vegetable medley thing and it wasn't very good :(. But here it is:[/IMG]

Looks basic but it was SOOOOOOOOOO good.

good choice on cheese, my preferred choice of sliced cheese, something that isn't too expensive but cheap enough for me to buy regularly.

Well here is my contribution for the past 2 days.

tonkatsu (pork cutlet) and salad
2609051782_2d8e58790f_b.jpg

beef short ribs, tofu, and salad
2609052148_5dd7a2a08f_b.jpg

Zyzyxxz

cast iron grill-pan. Works great but they are a PITA to clean up properly.

I did a quick marinade in Korean BBQ sauce before I cooked them, then as they were finishing up on the stove I brushed them with some more sauce.

Here is a closer shot to tempt you even more.
2608350671_e913c4b187_o.jpg

MercuryLS

Banned
So I made sushi today:

sushi.jpg

It was stupid easy to make and tasted awesome. I used fresh salmon avocado. Thanks Jarosh for the help, I'm definitely going to make sushi more often. It's cost effective, healthy, and a lot of fun to make.

jarosh

nakedsushi said:
Taco night at my house again. Vegan fish tacos with home made pico de gallo and guacamole.
2610171052_dea909460d.jpg

Even wrote up a recipe: http://www.nakedsushi.net/2008/06/dinner-vegan-fish-taco-2/
just checked your website and that recipe sounds delicious.

but... wow. i can't believe it. i've been reading your posts and looking at your food for a long time and i was convinced you were a guy. it never seemed weird to me when you mentioned your boyfriend, i just assumed you were gay. there was no doubt in my mind. lol

jarosh said:
just checked your website and that recipe sounds delicious.

but... wow. i can't believe it. i've been reading your posts and looking at your food for a long time and i was convinced you were a guy. it never seemed weird to me when you mentioned your boyfriend, i just assumed you were gay. there was no doubt in my mind. lol

Lol, what gave it away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom