• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Yes Boss! said:
Hawaiian Pizza in Honor of Onkel.

I'm taking 2009 off from eating meat so I used a fake Canadian Bacon so that is why it looks darker.

Yes Boss, me too, I started Nov. 23rd. What prompted your decision? Mine was mostly health related.

Yes Boss!

capslock said:
Yes Boss, me too, I started Nov. 23rd. What prompted your decision? Mine was mostly health related.

Just something my twin brother wanted to try so I decided to go along. I had already given up most red meat already and had moved to free-range stuff in the last few years but it is nice to try alternatives. Needless to say I'm cooking a lot of nice Indian food now. And a lot of gardenburgers!

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Here's the Stew pics.
reality:
smallP1040531.jpg

still looks good though, but yeah I hate it when following the recipe gets you an unsatisfying result.

Nore

Banned
I was hoping for a cameo by fellow gaffer Beef when I mentioned the meat and the thawing process. :lol

I think the meat was just bad. I ended up giving it a whiff and it was rank. I'm glad I didn't eat it.

UltimaPooh said:
Also whats the best way to store lettuce so it will last?
What I mostly* do with a red- or green-leaf lettuce is to give it a quick wash, chop off the stem part (first 1.5-2"), and then dump the loose leaves into a tupperware container and put them in the fridge. The leaves're still prettier and crisper the earlier you get to them, but chopping and storing them this way will make them stay more appealing longer.

Romaine I generally buy in those bags-o-3-hearts from Trader Joe's, and those are good for a week+ (and make some really easy salads with a couple knife whacks). Iceberg lettuce I mostly treat like cabbage (throw in back of the fridge and forget about it), and it's usually junked by the time I remember it. Cabbage is good!

* I've tried freezing and dehydrating it, just for the hell of it, but never with good results.

Nore

Banned
slidewinder said:
What I mostly* do with a red- or green-leaf lettuce is to give it a quick wash, chop off the stem part (first 1.5-2"), and then dump the loose leaves into a tupperware container and put them in the fridge. The leaves're still prettier and crisper the earlier you get to them, but chopping and storing them this way will make them stay more appealing longer.

Romaine I generally buy in those bags-o-3-hearts from Trader Joe's, and those are good for a week+ (and make some really easy salads with a couple knife whacks). Iceberg lettuce I mostly treat like cabbage (throw in back of the fridge and forget about it), and it's usually junked by the time I remember it. Cabbage is good!

* I've tried freezing and dehydrating it, just for the hell of it, but never with good results.

I was of the opinion that leaving the stem on the lettuce made the entire thing last longer. That's from my own experience, anyway.

I also buy the bag-o-3-hearts, and I'm generally happy with how long they last.

Nore said:
I was of the opinion that leaving the stem on the lettuce made the entire thing last longer. That's from my own experience, anyway.
Even with leafy lettuces, huh? I've never had any that kept from getting all mushy within a couple days unless I stemmed them first. Is there anything else I might do? I've tried keeping them in vases of water, both in my fridge and on my counter, and the leaves just got nastier quicker.

As far as the less delicate stuff goes, I've done the ol' "butt-end of an iceberg against the breadboard" trick, pulled the stem, and dumped THOSE leaves into a container in the fridge and they seemed to stay pretty decent beyond what (I think*) I'd usually expect of them.

I <3 TJ's Romaine "hearts," but they're also the most tightly-clustered leaves from a hugely burly lettuce to begin with, so I don't know that their longevity is ITSELF a testament to the virtues of the uncut lettuce stem.

* Because I'm really not sure what I'd normally expect from iceberg lettuce; lol wtf when I have a cabbage? This thread needs more LETTUCE SCIENCE.

Nore

Banned
Oh sorry, I was referring to iceburg on keeping the stem on. Are you talking about baby spinach and arugala etc?

I buy those fresh and use them the same day to avoid spoilage.

No; green-leaf lettuce:
greenleaflettuce.jpg

red-leaf lettuce:
credlettuce.jpg

Nearly the same the same thing, flavor-wise. Both are fairly delicate; it's not so much that the flavor (mildly peppery) changes as that the leaves like to quickly turn to mush where they ruffle and then everywhere else in short order. Much harder to keep than arugula or spinach in either case, but these are grown in huge quantities in the Southwestern US, and are pretty widely available otherwise in the country.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
on the menu tomorrow, game ragu with papardelle (subbing chicken thighs for rabbit meat):

JH0204_Game-Ragu-with-Pappardelle_lg.jpg

this weekend i'm making jamie oliver's homemade ketchup. maybe some steak fries to go with it.

Jables

Goddamn I love this thread. You all have captured my heart and stomach.

My fiance and I just bought a condo with a nice big kitchen. I'm looking forward to getting in there and doing some food experimenting of my own, hopefully I'll end up with a few worthwhile dishes that I can show off here.

Long live the Chefs!

coltcannon said:
I could use some curry tips, vegetable additions and cooking times?, peppers used? Any help is appreciated.

Depends on what kind of curry you're making.

Thai curry is good with bell peppers.

Japanese curry is not.

What type of curry are you looking for?

I got a huge jar of madras powder from a friend. No meat, but mushroom, bamboo shoot, green pepper, whatever random spicy peppers i can find, broccoli. Dont know enough about curries to name what Im thinking specifically.

Zyzyxxz

coltcannon said:
I got a huge jar of madras powder from a friend. No meat, but mushroom, bamboo shoot, green pepper, whatever random spicy peppers i can find, broccoli. Dont know enough about curries to name what Im thinking specifically.

try this:

if you have onions cook them over low heat with some oil and butter for 30 mins or more until they are caramelized, then add 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons of the curry powder, stir it in well, then add 2 tbsn of flour and mix together to form the roux, once it becomes one mound of paste remove from the pan.

Cook the mushrooms and whatever veges you want, pour in a can of vege/chicken stock, bring to a boil, turn to low heat. While its simmering add the roux back in a little at a time and stir it to make sure it dissolves.

and then simmer and let it reduce until it thickens.

Anyway my contributions from the past few days: Been doing some experimenting

pork stir fry with mango, bamboo shoots, and a shrimp+garlic+ginger+chili paste
3207434131_9a5b6820a8.jpg

My attempt at making my own variation of Loco Moco
3208282448_6f1af5211a.jpg

And finally something that tasted surprisingly good: stir fried chicken with caramelized onions, mango chutney, black bean sauce, and my attempt at garnishing it.
3217515862_b6cdbb5f9e_b.jpg

Flo_Evans

IronGAF: I am registering for some sweet cutlery and cookware. Age old dilemma, Henckels or Wusthof? Four star or Pro-S? I think I am leaning towards the wusthof classic. They are all pretty great, I think it comes down to ergonomics and the wusthof is leading a bit.

I think I want some All-Clad cookware. It's fucking ridiculously expensive IMHO and I feel sort of like a damn snob even asking for it but hey! I already have a pretty nice (though dinged up and well worn) Calphalon set of hard anodized alluminum so if no-one buys it no big deal... right? :lol

So if you where already going to go over the top would you go all the way and try and get the copper core/bottomed ones? Is copper really that much better than an aluminum core? Or would you lower you sights a bit and go for the stainless interior with brushed aluminum outside?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Nore said:
Any reason why when thawing ground beef (80/20) the blood would seep to the bottom of the freezer bag it was in, leaving an almost colorless white meat?

Freezing process: 1lb. of meat in a quart size freezer bag. Remove all air from bag (or as much as you can without vaccuum sealing it), and then wrap in heavy duty tin foil.

Meat was in the freezer for about 3-4 weeks.

Thaw method: Remove heavy duty foil. Place meat in freezer bag inside of a container with ice cold water and place in the fridge.

I find this method thaws things faster.

The result: The blood in the meat ran to the bottom of the freezer bag, and the meat was a pale white looking mess.

I tossed it.

Am I thawing incorrectly here?
don't know about the blood thing, but this is how I thaw things and I never have much of a problem with it:

Seal the meat in an airtight back, and push put all the air
Put the meat in a mixing bowl or any other container and put it in the sink
Fill it with cool water, and leave the tap on at its lowest setting so the water in the bowl slowly overflows.

This is probably the fastest and safest way to thaw something that I know of.

sspeedy

Ok, next time I make my awesome whole chicken (with lemons and spices), I am posting pics!

I should be making a delish lasagna this Saturday since I'm having family and friends over, so if I remember, I will take pics! Never contributed to this thread, but it's time to start.

I need recipes where I can cook something yum within 30 min's or so, it's hard to eat-in after work when you come home all tired :(

Zyzyxxz said:
still looks good though, but yeah I hate it when following the recipe gets you an unsatisfying result.

Maybe it's the lighting, but I think Onkel's looks better than the book's. The sausages are a little black, but I like a little carbon on my meat.

Flo_Evans said:
IronGAF: I am registering for some sweet cutlery and cookware. Age old dilemma, Henckels or Wusthof? Four star or Pro-S? I think I am leaning towards the wusthof classic. They are all pretty great, I think it comes down to ergonomics and the wusthof is leading a bit.

I think I want some All-Clad cookware. It's fucking ridiculously expensive IMHO and I feel sort of like a damn snob even asking for it but hey! I already have a pretty nice (though dinged up and well worn) Calphalon set of hard anodized alluminum so if no-one buys it no big deal... right? :lol

So if you where already going to go over the top would you go all the way and try and get the copper core/bottomed ones? Is copper really that much better than an aluminum core? Or would you lower you sights a bit and go for the stainless interior with brushed aluminum outside?

I'd avoid getting sets of stuff mostly because I don't really use that many things and I like to pick and choose from different things instead of buying a set of the same thing. Some things that I find essential in the kitchen:

A 8-10" chef's knife. I own both a Henckles and Wustof chef's knife and honestly, it all comes down on comfort and personal preference. You really need to hold each in your hand and figure out how you like the weight and balance of them before choosing.

A paring knife. Good for doing small things that your large chef's knife can't do, like taking eyes out of potatoes.

A vegetable peeler.

A cast iron pan. This is practically non-stick if you season it well and treat it right. This means never washing it with soap. I mainly just rinse it off after I've used it to get any food bits off, then wipe it down with some crisco and heat it till the crisco is absorbed.

A 5qt+ pot. Great for boiling pasta, making soup.

An enameled cast iron pot. Great for making stews/soups, baking no-knead bread in, and easy to clean. You can get a Le Crueset (sp?) one if you have hundreds of $$ to spare, but I'm pretty happy with my Lodge one. I use the Lodge Enameled Cast-Iron Dutch Oven here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N4WN08/?tag=neogaf0e-20

A small non-stick frying pan. Perfect for frying eggs.

If you're trying to fill up the registry, here are some gadgets that I find awesome in the kitchen:

- Cuisinart food processor: great for making dips, shredding potatoes for latke, etc.

- KitchenAid Stand Mixer: Mixing cake batter, kneading dough for bread, cookies, etc.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
parrotbeak said:
Maybe it's the lighting, but I think Onkel's looks better than the book's. The sausages are a little black, but I like a little carbon on my meat.
thanks! :) the sausages were not as dark as it looks, blame the lighting.

Blablurn said:
what kind of sauce is this? it looks awesome.
thanks to you too. I fried the beef cubes in a cast iron pot with a bit of oil, then added the same amount of cubed onions and a clove of garlic, let the onions get fragrant, then added half a litre of water, a teaspoon of marjoram/Majoran and let it braise for 90 minutes at medium heat with a lid on. before serving, i added a cup of creme fraiche and that was it, basically.

Flo_Evans said:

For the cutlery, I am accustomed to twins/Zwilling/Henckels four star range since i was a child, so it's a no-brainer to me ;) If you have the opportunity, try both out and choose the knife that suits you best/feels best for you.

Concerning cookware, I would go by brand, not so much by the sandwich bottom. I'd always go for stainless steel pots, though.

Flo_Evans

nakedsushi said:
I'd avoid getting sets of stuff mostly because I don't really use that many things and I like to pick and choose from different things instead of buying a set of the same thing. Some things that I find essential in the kitchen:

A 8-10" chef's knife. I own both a Henckles and Wustof chef's knife and honestly, it all comes down on comfort and personal preference. You really need to hold each in your hand and figure out how you like the weight and balance of them before choosing.

A paring knife. Good for doing small things that your large chef's knife can't do, like taking eyes out of potatoes.

A vegetable peeler.

A cast iron pan. This is practically non-stick if you season it well and treat it right. This means never washing it with soap. I mainly just rinse it off after I've used it to get any food bits off, then wipe it down with some crisco and heat it till the crisco is absorbed.

A 5qt+ pot. Great for boiling pasta, making soup.

An enameled cast iron pot. Great for making stews/soups, baking no-knead bread in, and easy to clean. You can get a Le Crueset (sp?) one if you have hundreds of $$ to spare, but I'm pretty happy with my Lodge one. I use the Lodge Enameled Cast-Iron Dutch Oven here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N4WN08/?tag=neogaf0e-20

A small non-stick frying pan. Perfect for frying eggs.

If you're trying to fill up the registry, here are some gadgets that I find awesome in the kitchen:

- Cuisinart food processor: great for making dips, shredding potatoes for latke, etc.

- KitchenAid Stand Mixer: Mixing cake batter, kneading dough for bread, cookies, etc.

I did register for a cast iron pan and a Le Creuset enameled already. :D

Really I prefer to cook my eggs in my old trusty hard anodized calphalon. I just use butter. GF/future wife did insist on a non-stick square griddle for making grilled cheese.

I did go for a kitchenaid stand mixer, but I have a food processor that I haven't even taken out of the box. I am trying to cook at home more (and more from scratch) so maybe I will bust it out one of these days.

I am thinking about a nice carbon steel wok. I have a large one but it is non-stick and sort of defeats the purpose of stir fry as you can not heat it that high unless you want to die.

OnkelC, I have used mostly Henckles in my life as well, but I usually choke up on the knife and grip it between my thumb and forefinger and I found the wusthof to be slightly more comfortable like that. I think I need to find someone with one and do some actually serious chopping though.

Flo_Evans said:
I am thinking about a nice carbon steel wok. I have a large one but it is non-stick and sort of defeats the purpose of stir fry as you can not heat it that high unless you want to die.

Oh yeah, how could I forget the wok? Carbon steel is the way to go. And after you season it, you pretty much treat it like a cast iron pan. The only problem though, is that it can only get as hot as your stove lets it. We have a puny flame on our gas stove, so it's never as hot as I'd like.

I got mine at the wok shop (just google it) in SF. You can order it online, but I dunno how easy it'd be to tie in to your registry.

Flo_Evans

nakedsushi said:
Oh yeah, how could I forget the wok? Carbon steel is the way to go. And after you season it, you pretty much treat it like a cast iron pan. The only problem though, is that it can only get as hot as your stove lets it. We have a puny flame on our gas stove, so it's never as hot as I'd like.

I got mine at the wok shop (just google it) in SF. You can order it online, but I dunno how easy it'd be to tie in to your registry.

Yeah I am pretty sure the asian grocery store in chinatown here sells handmade carbon steel ones. Every one that I have seen in most "big box" kitchen stores is silly flat bottomed one too. I want a nice rounded one with whatever that thing is called that holds it up over the flame.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
DAMN me for clicking on this thread while I'm on clouds...damn me to hell. :/
*stomach growls like a fucking tiger*

3219764306_041954af87.jpg

Chicory salad with avocado and a vinaigrette, made by the BF last night

3218913833_22bc936604.jpg

Made some (okay, just two) ravioli tonight. A giant one because I was too lazy to fill small ravioli pockets. It's just two sheets of pasta (made from scratch!), some mushroom and vegan cream sauce, a poached egg, and then another sheet of pasta on top.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Made some (okay, just two) ravioli tonight. A giant one because I was too lazy to fill small ravioli pockets. It's just two sheets of pasta (made from scratch!), some mushroom and vegan cream sauce, a poached egg, and then another sheet of pasta on top.

dam that looks good.

How did you make the ravioli dough? My brother has been bothering me to make him some for some time now.

Yes Boss!

nakedsushi said:

I second The Wok Shop. Got a few there and they work great. They even give you a little sheet on how to season it if you don't know already. Just be sure to get traditional round bottom if you've got gas and a wok ring.

sspeedy

Zyzyxxz said:
try this:

if you have onions cook them over low heat with some oil and butter for 30 mins or more until they are caramelized, then add 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons of the curry powder, stir it in well, then add 2 tbsn of flour and mix together to form the roux, once it becomes one mound of paste remove from the pan.

Cook the mushrooms and whatever veges you want, pour in a can of vege/chicken stock, bring to a boil, turn to low heat. While its simmering add the roux back in a little at a time and stir it to make sure it dissolves.

and then simmer and let it reduce until it thickens.

Anyway my contributions from the past few days: Been doing some experimenting

My attempt at making my own variation of Loco Moco
3208282448_6f1af5211a.jpg

Ok, so I just read up on Loco Moco. It looks like my attempt of 'fried veggie' rice kind of. I cooked a fried egg right into the rice... but no burger patty. Zyzyxxz, did you have any sort of gravy for your Loco Moco?

Flo_Evans said:
I did register for a cast iron pan and a Le Creuset enameled already. :D

Really I prefer to cook my eggs in my old trusty hard anodized calphalon. I just use butter. GF/future wife did insist on a non-stick square griddle for making grilled cheese.

I did go for a kitchenaid stand mixer, but I have a food processor that I haven't even taken out of the box. I am trying to cook at home more (and more from scratch) so maybe I will bust it out one of these days.

OnkelC, I have used mostly Henckles in my life as well, but I usually choke up on the knife and grip it between my thumb and forefinger and I found the wusthof to be slightly more comfortable like that. I think I need to find someone with one and do some actually serious chopping though.

Lamson is a great alternative to Wusthof and Henckels that I used professional for years.

http://store.lamsonsharp.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_21_26_72

Flo_Evans said:

I have an all clad saute pan (12) inches. i love it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. I do a lot of sauces, pan roasted chicken, various seared meats in it. Fucking amazing stuff. Well built, great heat distribution.

Your registry is like a wish list, fucking go for it man!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jamie oliver's new cookbook is fantastic. great recipes and twists on classics, amazing photography, and that signature jamie oliver voice ("add a schwog of parsley, now rip it up real good" :lol )

9780718152437.jpg

buy it.

Captain N

I'm looking into doing a cake of Sulley from Monsters, Inc. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for making the icing look like fur.

Zyzyxxz said:
dam that looks good.

How did you make the ravioli dough? My brother has been bothering me to make him some for some time now.

It was actually pretty simple, but I dunno if it's the 'traditional' way to make dough.

Multiply the ingredients by how many servings you're making. I made two servings, so I used:
- 2 cups flour (I mixed 1 cup high gluten flour with 1 cup pastry flour because I didn't have regular flour. I guess you can use 1 cup regular and 1 cup semolina too)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp salt

Beat the salt into the eggs. If you're using different types of flour, mix them together, and then make a volcano shape on your cutting board or whatever you're going to be mixing the dough on. Put the eggs into the hole of the volcano and using a fork, mix it, letting the wet part grab some of the dry flour on the sides each time.

Keep mixing it until a stiff dough forms. Feel free to add a teaspoon of water at a time to help it along if it gets too dry. The dough shouldn't be sticky at all, but should still be pliable and form a ball. Knead for about 10 minutes, adding more flour if it gets too sticky.

Let the dough sit for 45 mins in a covered container.

Roll the dough out into as thin of a sheet as you can with a roller, cut into ravioli sheets.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Flo_Evans said:

I switched from W's Classic to their new Classic Ikons a couple years ago ... fantastic knives. Check them out when you get a chance, I can't recommend them enough.

I'm wheeling out my BBQ smoker later today for some smoked baby back ribs. I use a simple rub and basic BBQ sauce diluted with Shiner Bock near the end - takes about 5 or 5 1/2 hours using oak firewood. I'll be sure to post some photos tomorrow ;-)

Nore

Banned
Applesauce said:
I switched from W's Classic to their new Classic Ikons a couple years ago ... fantastic knives. Check them out when you get a chance, I can't recommend them enough.

I'm wheeling out my BBQ smoker later today for some smoked baby back ribs. I use a simple rub and basic BBQ sauce diluted with Shiner Bock near the end - takes about 5 or 5 1/2 hours using oak firewood. I'll be sure to post some photos tomorrow ;-)

You are awesome.

I have a Weber gas grill, but eventually plan on getting a BBQ smoker. I will be the envy of the neighborhood when everyone is smelling my smoked BBQ.

Have you ever watched BBQ University on PBS? Fantastic show.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Nore said:
You are awesome.

I have a Weber gas grill, but eventually plan on getting a BBQ smoker. I will be the envy of the neighborhood when everyone is smelling my smoked BBQ.

Have you ever watched BBQ University on PBS? Fantastic show.

If or when you end up buying one make sure it's not made out of thin metal, get something at least 1/4" in thickness. The thicker the steel the less the temperature fluctuates. New Braunfels smokers are alright for the price if you live near an Academy Sports Store.

Mine is custom built by a friend here at work who's been building them for longer than I've been alive. Best part is is that it was free - one of the perks of running a steel yard for 10 years, heh. However, it weighs about 750lbs and is quite a pain to move around.

I've watched that show a few times ... it's pretty good, but then again anything involving BBQ is fun to watch.

Finally remembered to bring a camera to the kitchen.

The Hawaiian Pizza thread got me curious about making one of my own.

These were my ingredients. Fresh pineapple, Canadian bacon, Boboli pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, sprinkle Romano cheese.
2nl7gxt.jpg

First, I spray a pan with olive oil and sprinkle it with corn meal.
auv3b4.jpg

I just use a Betty Crocker pizza mix.
10pu9ly.jpg

The dough.
vos6td.jpg

Ready to cook.
2cgh2pu.jpg

Out of the oven.
2466rue.jpg

Om nom nom!
2s5xsp5.jpg

It was tasty, but to be honest, a little bland. I hit it with some hot sauce and that kicked it up, but I think you should actually use canned pineapple rather than fresh. I was worried about the canned being watery, but I think the sweetness would add more to the flavor. I'll squeeze some in a cheesecloth for next time. The Tsingtao was a nice, crisp beer to have with it.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
The wind wasn't cooperating with me yesterday so I had to babysit for most of the time. Fine by me cause I had enough beer and nothing to do :D

2 racks of baby back ribs from Kroger's - membrane's removed and coated with a spice rub. This was all done before I started heating up the pit.

Ribs_Prepd.jpg

I use an entire bag of charcoal to start out with, just to heat the metal up and make it easy to get a wood fire going. Once the charcoal is white, I toss a couple of oak logs on and wait until the fire evens out at around 250 degrees.

DSC01811.jpg

temp.jpg

Time to cook, finally.

Ribs_cook.jpg

Shiner.jpg

These took about 5 1/2 hours @ 250 degrees. I start them at the far end of the pit for 3 hours, wrap them in foil and move them close to the firebox and cook for another hour and a half, then unwrap them and baste them in BBQ sauce for another hour. I never bother making my own BBQ sauce so I just get the Kraft Original and dilute it with beer until it looks like gravy.

Ribs_Done.jpg

I took them off a bit early since they were eaten today, so I finished them in the oven. Batteries ran out on the camera, but they were tender to the point where you can almost pull the bones out. There's none of it left, so I guess everyone enjoyed them ;-)

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Zyzyxxz said:
I love the fact that you are BBQing during the winter, 2 large rack of ribs, all over an American themed plate.

America FUCK YEAH!

Never too cold here to BBQ :D

Plus the Shiner was on sale as well as the pork. Kind of hard to walk away from that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom