• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nore said:
I think you may be right, only in this instance I used cooking sherry instead of marsala, and I'm not aware of any marsala dishes that use fresh lemon. Or do they?
my marsala recipe is pretty close to that (minus lemon obviously) and with 2/3 marsala and 1/3 sherry.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Man, I really need to ask for this.

Can anyone point to me to a great Cheese and Broccolli Soup recipe? I have been dying to make my own since I love it, but the recipes online all seem... weird :lol

Nore

Banned
scissorfight said:
my marsala recipe is pretty close to that (minus lemon obviously) and with 2/3 marsala and 1/3 sherry.

Yeah, when I make marsala I also use 2/3 marsala and 1/3 sherry. Dunno. Try out my recipe and see if you like the sauce.

Zyzyxxz

My bro felt like burgers so I decided to try making them for the first time. Screw winter!

Well actually I made them on my cast iron skillet, too cold outside to use the gas grill.

I made the burgers by mixing ground beef with finely chopped garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and just a bit of chili powder.

Topped with caramelized onions and Swiss cheese as seen in the pic.

3171371487_cee0311285_b.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
My bro felt like burgers so I decided to try making them for the first time. Screw winter!

Well actually I made them on my cast iron skillet, too cold outside to use the gas grill.

I made the burgers by mixing ground beef with finely chopped garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and just a bit of chili powder.

Topped with caramelized onions and Swiss cheese as seen in the pic.

Shit why did I have to check this thread while I'm on my freaking New Years Resolution diet? Oh well I'm sure I'll fall off the wagon not too long from now. Great looking burgers. I need to try swiss on my burgers, get away from the same ol' American cheese. And I think caramelized onions are the best burger topping along with cheese. Reminds me, I have a lot of ground beef in my freezer, at least 6 pounds worth (thats what you get for buying in bulk from Costco).

Barbacoa fest
The full menu is red bean soup, almond salsa chicken, black beans, barbacoa, and tecate (micheladas).

Some are pretty gruesome so just a link, SFW? :lol
raw calf head quartered
http://i33.tinypic.com/2n745ms.jpg

4 kg. brisket and meat from the head, with just some salt and oil, maguay leaves in the bottom for protection
ready to get steamed
http://i36.tinypic.com/4lsjvb.jpg
notice the onion protective lense :D

boiling part of jaw to get some meat off
http://i38.tinypic.com/9gh54y.jpg

playing :D
http://i37.tinypic.com/2zs1a1i.jpg

six hours in
http://i37.tinypic.com/30c6jnn.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/1217j4i.jpg

the spread
kbbq4h.jpg

guacamole
2ykgr4y.jpg

frijoles negras
2d9d450.jpg

almendrado de pollo
ngbszd.jpg

barbacoa
2ijmns.jpg

finally
rkvgn9.jpg

edit. decided to save the veg people here the gore

Relix said:
Can anyone point to me to a great Cheese and Broccolli Soup recipe? I have been dying to make my own since I love it, but the recipes online all seem... weird :lol

I usually do mine by look rather than direct quantity, but it's mostly brocolli, some carrot, vegetable stock, a *wee* bit of ginger and random spices all blended.

Cream and Cheddar added for flavour once soup is set.

Nore said:
Yeah, when I make marsala I also use 2/3 marsala and 1/3 sherry. Dunno. Try out my recipe and see if you like the sauce.

Will do. That is, once I finish basically drinking the rose sauce I made for my gnocchi tonight...:lol

Zyzyxxz

wow that looks good, looks easier to eat than the ones I've made in the past.

Does duck egg taste any different from chicken eggs?

The farm we get them from has ducks that were bred to lay eggs that taste more like chicken eggs, so they don't taste that much different, but the texture is more stiff. It's really noticable when you try making scramble eggs with them -- they get all weird and dry. And for some reason, duck egg sticks to the pan more. I think the yolk has more protein or something.

Nore

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
yeah I'd never pay for one, hence I lucked out in a way.

I got a 7 pound one for $45. Brought it over for about 10 people to eat at Christmas. We also had a standing rib roast. We hardly put a dent in the ham.

I took it back home and ate ham for a week straight. Sandwiches, diced up in salads or ommelettes, on top of pizza, you name it.

After that week I swear I still had at least 2.5-3 pounds left. I finally gave up on it after 10 days.

tsef

Since it's really cold today I decided to make a gratin. Nothing like potatoes and cream to warm you inside :)
Froid.jpg

chaud.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi, awesome new years noodles! gonna try that out soon.

Zyzzyx, props for the burgers. I am not a friend of pre-spicing the beef, though.

What's the consensus in IronGAF: pure or pre-spiced patties?

smallP1030724.jpg

Darkman M

OnkelC said:

Zyzzyx, props for the burgers. I am not a friend of pre-spicing the beef, though.

smallP1030724.jpg

fuuuuuckkkkkkk why post this at 1:30 am central time here!! Im craving now.

Xabora

OnkelC said:

smallP1030724.jpg
Love em both!

But I've fallen for Soy Flour Mixed Patties, oh man they are good!

Tabris

You know how threads have NSFW and No 56k warning messages. This thread should have a "Don't view this thread if you're kinda hungry and didn't go grocery shopping today" warning :| Everything looks soo good..... even the cow head lol

Jumpin in with some pasta(untitled)

Bolognese Sauce
1/2 onion, diced
1 small bell pepper, diced
3 baby carrots, diced
1 pound of italian sausage(mild or spicy)
3-4 tomatoes, diced + keep juice
red wine
garlic
chives
olive oil
shrimp(optional)
shrimp stock(optional)
mushrooms(optional)

Seasonings
salt
ground black pepper
fresh thyme
fresh sage
dried oregano
dried basil
dried marjoram(just a pinch)
red pepper flakes(optional)

Toppings
extra chives
parmesan cheese
feta cheese
fresh basil, chopped

Directions
With the heat on about medium high, brown sausage in olive oil until color is a bit dark and the texture is crisp. During this time, add your seasonings.
Should look about like this:
s43oqp.jpg

Next, add diced onion, carrot, and bell pepper and cook for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
Should be here now:
xqajye.jpg

Then, add your red wine and shrimp stock. Make sure to use your wooden spoon/spatula and get all of the caramelized sausage off of the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat down to about medium and add your diced tomatoes(juice and all) and chives, then fold until thoroughly mixed. Next, turn the heat down to simmer, and let it cook for about 10-15 minutes. Afterward, see if there is too much liquid for you. If so, just let it simmer until it is a good consistency for you.
Should resemble this:
9s8n47.jpg

Once done, add mushrooms and shrimp, and let simmer for no more than 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently(dont want to overcook the shrimp and mushrooms). You can add whatever type of pasta you prefer(I decided on a cheese ravioli this time). Once its plated, top it with the extra chives, parmesan, feta, and fresh basil if you like. Its not necessary though, and will be just fine without...although i strongly suggest the extra chives.

For some extra love, I grabbed a loaf of french bread and made a few thin slices across.
A little like this:
280tmqe.jpg

Next, I made a compound butter with a bit of salt, pepper, garlic, and basil. Then, once I spread it on both sides of my bread slices, I just pan seared it on top of the stove until it was golden(both sides).
Looked like the pic below:
m7dpnp.jpg

Final Plate:
2gv4vvr.jpg

wu07pd.jpg

2ngqxjn.jpg

29dhijm.jpg

2yllh6f.jpg

Put your own spin on it and let me know what you think. If you replace 1/2 a pound of the sausage with ground beef and take the shrimp out, and add a little tomato paste, it makes a great homemade spaghetti sauce.

Hope everyone has fun and enjoys it!

Nore

Banned
OnkelC said:

No salt or pepper. Just a few dashes of worcheshire(sp?) sauce pre cooking.

The best burgers I've ever had in a few restaurants were recommended with no condiments and no cheese. Just the bun and the pure flavor of the meat, and man were they right.

OnkelC said:
I personally love to salt and pepper it a bit before cooking, as it enhances the natural flavor of the meat imo. That is one of the beautiful things about salt spicifically...it seems to highten whatever flavor its coupled with. I use very little of it though, it doesnt take much. I mostly make burgers with lamb though, and it seems to be a bit more salty in nature than beef, so i use very little(Im a huge lamb lover btw). I completely agree with being able to taste the natural flavor of foods in general, as its something you rarely get to experience unless you do it yourself. A pet peeve of mine is eating a potato and not being able to taste the actual raw flavor of potato due to oversaturating it with other ingredients.

Zyzyxxz said:
man you are getting me into pasta mode when I'm still on my curry feast
Feed the hunger, I made plenty *offers up a plate*

JDS 1977

Banned
Zyzyxxz's burgers and that bolognese look great. After waiting over a year for my account to get approved here I can finally look forward to contributing to this thread soon.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
JDS 1977 said:
Zyzyxxz's burgers and that bolognese look great. After waiting over a year for my account to get approved here I can finally look forward to contributing to this thread soon.
welcome to NeoGAF and welcome to the OT cooking experience! I'm looking forward to seeing your stuff, just bring it!:lol

Zyzyxxz

JDS 1977 said:

welcome to the jungle junior!

Nore

Banned
Anyone have any good crockpot recipes?

I like adding a cup of red wine to my crockpot stews and pot roasts and well as a few dashes of worcheshire sauce on the beef.

^ Corned beef stew is perfect for crock pots.

Ingredients:
1 bag of corned beef (in the refridgerated meats section)
1 potato
1 carrot
1 celery
1 onion
1/2 a head of cabbage

The package of corned beef I get usually contains a bag of spices. Dice the onion, carrot, celery, and potato into bite-sized pieces and put in the crock pot. Slice up the corned beef (trim off any big pieces of fat) and put it on top of the veggies. Sprinkle on the spice package. Slice the cabbage and place on top of corned beef. Pour in enough water to at least halfway cover the corned beef. The steam shoudl cook the rest of the beef.

I usually put everything in the crockpot in the morning, set it to low, and leave it on while I go to work. I guess it takes about 6 hours to cook on low.

nakedsushi said:
That looks great! Weird shaped plate though. Is it wavy?
Thanks!!! Its one of my favs to cook! About the plate, the rim of it is a bit wavy, and the center is more concave than usual. Great for holding things in the center.

Fresh pineapple with some "fruit seasoning" (salt, chile, and dehydrated lime juice or something). ¡Vive México!
090108_irongaf_1.jpg

Mushroom risotto and some leftover grilled chicken breast:
090108_irongaf_2.jpg

Red Thai curry with stuff I had on hand:
090108_irongaf_3.jpg

Provolone and fried-egg burger on toast:
090108_irongaf_4.jpg

Browned ground beef and onions, mixed up with this stuff
090108_irongaf_5.jpg

for a few hours in a crock pot made some ok chili:
090108_irongaf_6.jpg

Sirloin steak with some sauteed mushrooms and onions in a red wine and mustard pan sauce:
090108_irongaf_7.jpg

I have a Mexican themed party on Saturday and I need to bring an appetizer. I really don't want to go the boring approach and bring a dip of some sort. Any ideas?

MagicJackBauer said:
I have a Mexican themed party on Saturday and I need to bring an appetizer. I really don't want to go the boring approach and bring a dip of some sort. Any ideas?

You could make ceviche. There are a bunch of different variations. I've made mostly shrimp ceviche and it was great served on tostadas or just with chips. I've also made one that used orange soda in the sauce, it was really good despite looking ghastly.

Flo

I went to Paris with my mom a while ago and we ate at 3 veggie restaurants during the stay. Only took pics at the first though. It was somewhat expensive but very tasteful. The last night was the best though (no pics of that :p)
My meal:
Seawead something (looks like vomit but tasted great)
a5gb3r.jpg

Tahoe stew
icnwg4.jpg

My moms meal:
Mushroom pate
ricio9.jpg

Filled paprica
2i8vswh.jpg

Desert was crumble pie with forest fruits and apple pie, yummie!!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nice dishes, thanks for sharing. The seaweed dish looks a bit like creamed spinach. how much did the meals set you back?

Mushroom pate looks good, Flo, did you like it?

Dinner last night and tonight:

3181982366_4d97db761e.jpg

red lentil stew

3181982454_8b511f97fa.jpg

appetizer tonight: white bean dip with home made pita chips

3181982430_fcc47a3f00.jpg

vegan BLT. (tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado, veganaise, and mustard)

MMMMMMM, the white bean dip looks yummy.

I made my first cheese cake yesterday, and i could wait for it to set so i could taste it. It was a long night, so i immediately had some for breakfast. It really turned out exceptionally well...although i will add a bit more lemon next time.

24wsg9s.jpg

2mg3y55.jpg

28qfeh.jpg

nakedsushi said:
oooh I love plain cheesecake. That looks great. Did you make the crust too?
Uh huh, it actually turned out to be the best part. Instead of just graham crackers, i also used a bit of teddy grahams and shortbread cookies as well. I wasnt too sure how it would turn out(the crust), but it really does taste great.

Blablurn said:
wow, this looks delicious, abstract alien :O
Thanks! :D

Saya

One of the advantages of studying in Indonesia is that you get access to amazing food for a really good price. I just picked some martabak (it's like a fried snack):

kcmja0.jpg

2nhpc1i.jpg

It's sooooo good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom