• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

Zyzyxxz said:
looks like egg in fried tofu skin.

well I know for sure it looks good!

Yeah, it's basically egg and chopped onions in a fried pastry skin. Simple, but good. Kinda greasy though, so I shouldn't get it too often. :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
really nice cheese cake, I tend to use ladyfingers for the crust:
smallCIMG4672.jpg

>>Recipe<<

gantz85

Banned
Saya said:
One of the advantages of studying in Indonesia is that you get access to amazing food for a really good price. I just picked some martabak (it's like a fried snack):

[IMGhttp://i43.tinypic.com/kcmja0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://i41.tinypic.com/2nhpc1i.jpg[/IMG]

It's sooooo good.

Why are you studying in Indonesia?? I'm serious.

Saya

gantz85 said:
Why are you studying in Indonesia?? I'm serious.

I'm only studying there for 6 months as part of an student exchange program, my main study is in The Netherlands. I'm learning about the language and culture of the Indonesian people here at the university, mostly because my some of my mothers family is from there and ever since I visited Indonesia almost 15 years ago I always wanted to back one time. I did take several trips to Indonesia after that, but this is my first long visit. I also really think it is a beautiful country.

Zyzyxxz

Saya said:
I'm only studying there for 6 months as part of an student exchange program, my main study is in The Netherlands. I'm learning about the language and culture of the Indonesian people here at the university, mostly because my some of my mothers family is from there and ever since I visited Indonesia almost 15 years ago I always wanted to back one time. I did take several trips to Indonesia after that, but this is my first long visit. I also really think it is a beautiful country.

sounds like the same reason I went to study in Hong Kong, been there several times but I wanted to try living there to see what it was like.

way more

Flo said:
I went to Paris with my mom a while ago and we ate at 3 veggie restaurants during the stay. Only took pics at the first though. It was somewhat expensive but very tasteful. The last night was the best though (no pics of that :p)

You went to Paris and you ate vegetarian food???? Why not go to Japan for some tacos???

If I were there I would be eating Tete De Veau, the peeled face off a cow skull with the skin wrapped around the ears and tongue. Or snails and frogs, and not just the good parts. I'm sure you had your reasons but I sincerely hope you had some well prepared meat dishes.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
mac said:
You went to Paris and you ate vegetarian food???? Why not go to Japan for some tacos???

If I were there I would be eating Tete De Veau, the peeled face off a cow skull with the skin wrapped around the ears and tongue. Or snails and frogs, and not just the good parts. I'm sure you had your reasons but I sincerely hope you had some well prepared meat dishes.
easy there, keep it civilized please.

Sumidor

Had some chicken and waffles for brunch over the weekend..

l_b45d6322bef679031f524cdfc9df2a1a.jpg

Oh so delicious. Perfect crunch to the chicken, nice and tender also. And the Sweet Potato waffles were out of this freaking world. In the background is a couple slices of some praline bacon, which was also ace. Hopefully i'll get around to uploading some of my own drink creations.

way more

OnkelC said:
easy there, keep it civilized please.

You're right. I just have a hard time understanding how you could even find a vegetarian restaurant. Is there a new movement for vegetarianism in the birth place of cooking? I should have started with the questions first.

Nore

Banned
If I remember I'll try to take some pics tonight.

Honey-brined turkey that I will roast in the oven with some roasted vegetables.

i didn't find anything in this thread for lamp chops. i'm looking for a good recipe that doesn't use the traditional rosemary or mint. anyone have a good one?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
how do you normally prepare your chops, scissor? pan-sear?

here's a recipe on chow.com for lamb-chops in an olive and herb crust. they're coated in the crust then prepared much like you would a steak: pan-seared, then roasted in the oven to the desired doneness.

i would personally experiment a little with greek flavors here. heavy on the oregano, and maybe even serve them with a dollop of tsatziki on top, almost like a greek play on the whole "pat of butter on a steak" thing people often do. the nice cool cucumber and garlic creaminess of tsatziki would really cut through the richness of a lamb chop quite nicely i think.

i don't eat a lot of lamb though! you'd probably know better than me. personally i'd just go nuts and play around, see what happens.

beelzebozo said:
how do you normally prepare your chops, scissor? pan-sear?

here's a recipe on chow.com for lamb-chops in an olive and herb crust. they're coated in the crust then prepared much like you would a steak: pan-seared, then roasted in the oven to the desired doneness.

i would personally experiment a little with greek flavors here. heavy on the oregano, and maybe even serve them with a dollop of tsatziki on top, almost like a greek play on the whole "pat of butter on a steak" thing people often do. the nice cool cucumber and garlic creaminess of tsatziki would really cut through the richness of a lamb chop quite nicely i think.

i don't eat a lot of lamb though! you'd probably know better than me. personally i'd just go nuts and play around, see what happens.
in the past i've pan-seared then roasted, so i'll give that one a shot, minus the rosemary. thanks. i might just try a few different things...i find that lamb chops that are cooked correctly are pretty damn good even with very light seasoning, but i'm trying to find that 'staple' lamb chop recipe that i have for so many other dishes.

i don't eat a ton of lamb either but my wife loves it, so i'm trying to find a recipe that works for both of us since i'm not crazy about rosemary or mint on my chops.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
have you ever tried treating it like pork? the way that recipe seasons them it almost reads like a recipe for crunchy pork chops. i like to cut a slit in thick chops and stuff them with sauteed leeks and dried apricots, or figs, or whatever dried fruit strikes your fancy. it makes for a really nice contrast between the salty meat and the sweetness of the fruit.

if you're not committed to chops, i'd start thinking more in the direction of kebabs and gyros. i find them much more interesting than just a straight chop.

Flo

OnkelC said:
nice dishes, thanks for sharing. The seaweed dish looks a bit like creamed spinach. how much did the meals set you back?
The seaweed tasted very sour, I have no idea whether they used too much lemon or that the seaweed was sour by itself.
The meal in the picture was about 75 euro for two persons. The second day we made up for that though, we ate very cheap Krishna food (20 euro for 2), third day was in between, macrobiotic, verrrry tasteful and my favorite of the three.

nakedsushi said:
Mushroom pate looks good, Flo, did you like it?
The pate tasted great, no idea how they made it though. Might try to find a recipe for it.

Did you make the veganaise yourself?

mac said:

I ate vegan food, isn't it quite normal to do so when your vegan? I had no meat dishes of course, why would I? Just because they make them well over there? The food I ate tasted great and I had a good time, that's more important to me. I don't understand why you think everyone should eat meat.

Mini vegan applepie I made and ate yesterday!
34ytd1e.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
OnkelC said:
Where's your foods, folks?

i'm always cooking, never taking pictures.

things i've cooked in the past couple of weeks:

- homemade cereal with almonds and cashews. worked on this several times, and found some great little tips if you're like me and like clumpy, crunchy granola and not stuff that just falls apart.
- short rib ragu with papardelle, garlic bread, carrots roasted in a romertopf, and roasted beets with balsamic vinegar.
- panini night: sauteed mushroom thyme & anchovy panini on garlic focaccia, turkey & cranberry pesto on pumpernickel loaf, avocado swiss & tomato on ciabatta. also waldorf salad on the side.
- pork carnita tacos with homemade guacamole and guajillo-ancho salsa.
- turkey chili with christmas leftovers.

tonight i'm going to make braised and broiled spare ribs with my homemade bbq sauce, roast corn, and balsamic roasted brussel sprouts. again, i just wish i could remember to take pictures of this shit.

Zyzyxxz

Flo said:
I ate vegan food, isn't it quite normal to do so when your vegan? I had no meat dishes of course, why would I? Just because they make them well over there? The food I ate tasted great and I had a good time, that's more important to me. I don't understand why you think everyone should eat meat.

Mini vegan applepie I made and ate yesterday!
http://i40.tinypic.com/34ytd1e.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I think he didn't know you were a vegan and was surprised you missed out on so much good food.

Man when I was in Paris, I never had eaten so well in high school before, although I ate mostly alot of bread and cheese.

Sumidor said:

l_b45d6322bef679031f524cdfc9df2a1a.jpg

WHOA, that's a good looking plate of chicken n' waffles. Usually when I get them, they just kinda throw the chicken and waffles haphazardly on the plate. Not that I'm complaining. I'm usually too busy gobbling it up to complain about presentation. The bacon in the back looks good and thick too.

Sumidor said:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/Bizill/l_b45d6322bef679031f524cdfc9df2a1a.jpg

Oh so delicious. Perfect crunch to the chicken, nice and tender also. And the Sweet Potato waffles were out of this freaking world. In the background is a couple slices of some praline bacon, which was also ace. Hopefully i'll get around to uploading some of my own drink creations.
Did you get that at Screen Door in Portland? Looks exactly like the ones I devoured last Summer.

Sumidor

Cornballer said:
Did you get that at Screen Door in Portland? Looks exactly like the ones I devoured last Summer.

Good eye! Yeah, it's from Screen Door. One of my favorite restaurants in Portland.

The BF made this amazing orechiette from scratch tonight. Home made fresh pasta is always SOOOOO good. The sauce/topping was mostly leftovers from last night though:
3201138840_b67cc9d14d.jpg

I had some soba and shrimp tempura for lunch today from Mitsuwa food court. It was SALTY, but the noodles were so good.
3201138940_075238377f.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi, looks awesome as usual! Did the BF prepare the orecchiette with flour or with semole?

we made a casserole from leftovers this week:
smallCIMG2256.jpg

smallCIMG2283.jpg

smallCIMG2284.jpg

rezuth

So it has been a while since I posted so I might post some stuff, these have been taken with a shitty mobilecamera so bear with me :)

Chili Chicken with rice
DSC00308.JPG

Tagliatelle with meatballs and juice
DSC00336.JPG

Muffin
DSC00357.JPG

Pizza
DSC00509.JPG

DSC00510.JPG

DSC00513.JPG

Fillet of beef with hasselbackspotatis and garlicbutter(Very fast and messy made)
DSC00592.JPG

DSC00591.JPG

DSC00593.JPG

Half-Yakiniku Chicken
DSC00381.JPG

DSC00392.JPG

DSC00394.JPG

Resturant Souvlaki (Yes I always have one with friesn and one with rice :lol )
DSC00457.JPG

DSC00458.JPG

DSC00459.JPG

DSC00520.JPG

Deep-fried chicken, also had rice and sweet 'n sour chili sauce but no pic of that :(
DSC00572.JPG

DSC00573.JPG

Souvlaki (Not that good, I failed :( )
DSC00597.JPG

Sizzling chicken with rice
DSC00600.JPG

Entrecote and hasselbackspotatis
DSC00402.JPG

Half-Yakiniku beef
DSC00350.JPG

Meat and fries
DSC00504.JPG

Traditional Swedish cinnamonbuns
DSC00470.JPG

DSC00471.JPG

DSC00474.JPG

DSC00478.JPG

DSC00479.JPG

DSC00481.JPG

DSC00486.JPG

MrFingers

Nice to see you use your laptop as a makeshift table as well Rezuth.How do you keep it so clean?Mine is filthy with toast crumbs:/

I could go fro some of that pizza.

OnkelC said:
nakedsushi, looks awesome as usual! Did the BF prepare the orecchiette with flour or with semole?

He used half high-gluten bread flour (we didn't have all purpose on hand) and half semolina flour, which I guess is what you call semola?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
Holy crap Rezuth you've been saving up! Great stuff though.
nothing to add here, sir! Rezuth, that's an impressive array of fine foods, thank you very much for sharing. I would like to know the recipe for the beer batter of those fried chicken bits, please.

Keep it coming, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tried my luck at an austrian dish called "Fiakergulasch" (beef stew, viennese horse-cab-driver-style) yesterday, pics to follow in a few hours.
Twist with this dish is that it is served with nuremberg sausages and soft boiled eggs. In short, wasn't worth the effort at all.

Stay tuned and share your dishes, please.

Nolan.

Flo said:
I went to Paris with my mom a while ago and we ate at 3 veggie restaurants during the stay. Only took pics at the first though. It was somewhat expensive but very tasteful. The last night was the best though (no pics of that :p)
My meal:

Tahoe stew
icnwg4.jpg

That looks delicious I would love the recipe.

Nore

Banned
Rezuth...two comments...

1. Your asian dishes look good. Real good. Authentic even.

2. On that restaurant souvlaki...would you like some fries with that salt? :lol

Nore

Banned
Any reason why when thawing ground beef (80/20) the blood would seep to the bottom of the freezer bag it was in, leaving an almost colorless white meat?

Freezing process: 1lb. of meat in a quart size freezer bag. Remove all air from bag (or as much as you can without vaccuum sealing it), and then wrap in heavy duty tin foil.

Meat was in the freezer for about 3-4 weeks.

Thaw method: Remove heavy duty foil. Place meat in freezer bag inside of a container with ice cold water and place in the fridge.

I find this method thaws things faster.

The result: The blood in the meat ran to the bottom of the freezer bag, and the meat was a pale white looking mess.

I tossed it.

Am I thawing incorrectly here?

Nore said:
Any reason why when thawing ground beef (80/20) the blood would seep to the bottom of the freezer bag it was in, leaving an almost colorless white meat?

I would have thawed it in about the same way (just placed it in a container and put it in the fridge) so I don't think you did anything wrong. Are you sure it was blood? Maybe it's just the red dye that some places inject into their meat to make it look more red and "fresh" when you buy it.

Schrade

Nore said:

Freezing process: 1lb. of meat in a quart size freezer bag. Remove all air from bag (or as much as you can without vaccuum sealing it), and then wrap in heavy duty tin foil.

Meat was in the freezer for about 3-4 weeks.

Thaw method: Remove heavy duty foil. Place meat in freezer bag inside of a container with ice cold water and place in the fridge.

I find this method thaws things faster.

The result: The blood in the meat ran to the bottom of the freezer bag, and the meat was a pale white looking mess.

I tossed it.

Well, sometimes the freezing process itself can cause this. What you want to do is get the meat as cold as possible in the fridge before you actually put it in the freezer. Typically the top shelf and in the back of a fridge will be the coldest. Put the meat there for a while and then put it out in the open part of your freezer with nothing on top of it or near it so that it is not insulated from the cold. This will ensure that the ice crystals will be much smaller and will not pierce as many cells of the meat and turn it to mush. Once it's frozen solid that is the time to package it. This also makes it easier to unwrap when it comes time to thaw.

When defrosting meat it depends on what kind of meat it is. If it's ground beef, I just defrost it in the microwave for a bit then put it in the fridge to cool it off (and not let the meat get too hot). After cooling off a bit I put it back in the micro to finish it off. Always use the defrost setting for this.

For steak or other meat I've found the best way to defrost them is to put them on my burner on the stove (turned off) and then put a thick metal pan on top. For this I make sure there's plastic wrap or a ziploc bag around the meat to prevent leakage. The burner (electric burner - this won't work with those flat top or gas stoves) and the thick metal pan act as a way to suck the cold out of the meat and get it to the air. Think of a heatsink on a CPU but doing the opposite.

Schrade

nakedsushi said:
I would have thawed it in about the same way (just placed it in a container and put it in the fridge) so I don't think you did anything wrong. Are you sure it was blood? Maybe it's just the red dye that some places inject into their meat to make it look more red and "fresh" when you buy it.
I've never heard of that. Have any info on it?

They do use a gas to keep the meat red and fresh though.

Yes Boss!

Hawaiian Pizza in Honor of Onkel.

I'm taking 2009 off from eating meat so I used a fake Canadian Bacon so that is why it looks darker.

Also, my first attempt at cooking a pizza in a cast iron. Came out a little drier but I'm thinking that has to do with the fake meat.

Ingredients:

ingredients-2.jpg

Yeast Ripening:

yeast.jpg

Oil for lubricant:

oil.jpg

Mechanical Knead:

knead.jpg

Ready for rise:

ready.jpg

First Rise Complete:

firstrise.jpg