• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

I think I was doomed from the start. I went to the supermarket in the not so great part of town and this was the best cut they had...

2ivxwg1.jpg

As chef Ramsey would say "NOT GOOD ENOUGH!" So I went to the fancy store and found this!

2qlu04x.jpg

and some other stuff!

2zez6za.jpg

Should of just ate it in this stage:

2d92ogy.jpg

It started off well...

2zs7675.jpg

But I was waiting for my potatoes to finish browning, so I stuck it in the oven (GF wanted med-well) I kept checking it with my stupid meat thermometer and it said "rare" for mine and "medium" for hers. Should of trusted my gut but they where really thick so I wanted to be sure.

23lci68.jpg

Potatoes where perfect though!

flwuiu.jpg

Doesn't look tooo bad...

24o4j75.jpg

GAHAHAHAHSHSHSHAAHAHA :(

I also further insulted it by ripping it to shreds with my dull butter knife. Need to really get a proper set of steak knives!

Also sorry about the not so great pics but I was more concerned with the meal and I failed on both accounts! :lol I also completely forgot to make a vegetable. It all tasted good, but it could of been so much better. Next time I will trust my instincts more (and throw out my shitty thermometer).

Feel free to heckle. :(

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flo_Evans, thanks for sharing. It only proves the point that a prime cut is still prime when treated badly:lol :lol :lol.

jokes aside, i would not resort to a thermometer for steak cuts. trust your instincts for turning and overall roast time.

beelzebozo said:
saveur is the best magazine ever, am i right?
I like it, though their recipes are a lot to handle sometimes. Very ingredient and technique focused, but it's good stuff to try out on a weekend when I have some time to prep something more ambitious.
OnkelC said:
Tip for low-light photography: get a cheap tabletop tripod and take pics with low ISO settings but longer exposure. a cheap halogen desk lamp also helps.
Thanks for the tips. I tried that out this time - SLR on my small tripod under the halogen kitchen lights. See photos below. I was much happier with the results, but I'll try and bump the ISO up a bit next time because they're a little dark.

Used some leftover noodles along with a sauce made from pork sausage, cauliflower, onions, with a bit of red wine, garlic, sundried tomatoes, parsley and a touch of anchovy. Turned out reasonably well, but the sauce was a little bit dry for my tastes, so I poured some pasta water over the top. I've been trying to do more cooking on the fly without a recipe, so this sort of thing is what I end up with sometimes.
3286065353_8e7ce3d23a.jpg

The complementary salad. Little gems, avocado, and tomatoes with a lemon vinagrette and some blue cheese on top. Tasty stuff. I was shocked when they had decent tomatoes at the market - not quite Summer quality, but still pretty darn good.
3286881728_1f6b4fa939.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Cornballer said:
I like it, though their recipes are a lot to handle sometimes. Very ingredient and technique focused, but it's good stuff to try out on a weekend when I have some time to prep something more ambitious.

the food looks fantastic, dude.

on the topic of saveur, i would definitely concur that the recipes are highly involved. i really don't read it for recipes though--saveur is my magazine for food culture, or food inspiration, so to speak. so i'll read it and there'll be an article about toast appreciation, for example, which leads me to think, "you know, i want to figure out how to make the best homemade bread, and turn that bread into the best muhfuggin' toast ever." and so that leads me on a multi-week project, elbow deep in flour with sourdough starters stinking up two corners of my kitchen.

plus, the photography in every issue is fucking STUNNING.

but yes, absolutely, if you endeavor to cook their veal stock, for example, you better have a weekend to dedicate to it. every "project" like that which i've undertaken on their advice has been completely worth it (ketchup, harissa, homemade bread/toast, challah, cream cheese cinnamon rolls, swiss muesli, etc. and so on). but they're typically not for beginners, to say the least.

Flo_Evans

OnkelC said:
Flo_Evans, thanks for sharing. It only proves the point that a prime cut is still prime when treated badly:lol :lol :lol.

jokes aside, i would not resort to a thermometer for steak cuts. trust your instincts for turning and overall roast time.

I think I also fucked up by just moving the hot skillet directly into the oven, as you can see it cooked more on the bottom than the top. Do you usually transfer the steak into a different pan? Or just skillet cook it and forget the oven? That is what I usually do but the cuts where real thick and the GF wanted medium-well. (blah!) My oven was probably also too hot (425) because I was trying to brown the potatoes. I think I actually had to stick them under the broiler to finish them before my meat turned to charcoal.

Anyway the GF was impressed and thats all that matters on V day right? right? :lol

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
i wanted to share this website for those of you who enjoy baking and who are also fans of decorating: http://bakeitpretty.com/

they have lots of baking and candy making supplies at great prices, and best of all, they are all really unique, cute, and retro-looking. the site ships their products worldwide... and i am really tempted to order like $100 worth of stuff from there. :) it's all too cute!

Ashhong

scottnak said:
Wow! That looks awesome. Sounds like a nice quick, easy, tasty thing to throw together :eek:...

a bit late, but hell no. this dish takes way too long lol which probably explains why we rarely have it. then again we usually make it in big portions. have to cut/skin potatoes, then microwave with butter, then mash it, season, microwave some more, cut all the meat, etc etc...brother makes it, i clean :lol works out for me

scottnak

Ashhong said:
a bit late, but hell no. this dish takes way too long lol which probably explains why we rarely have it. then again we usually make it in big portions. have to cut/skin potatoes, then microwave with butter, then mash it, season, microwave some more, cut all the meat, etc etc...brother makes it, i clean :lol works out for me
Hmm. That makes sense... Sounds like a tasty process though :eek:...

Anywhoo, after making s'more curry on Sunday, i've gone through my rounds to deal with the leftovers... tried something random and put it together with some mashed potatoes and bake it, oh and of course top it with some cheese after each layer.

Mashed Potatoes first:

Top with the leftover curry & cheese....
>>> Finished Product:

Tasted amazing! The red splotches on the farside are little pools of Tapatio sauce. I kinda forgot to mix it up in the curry, but worked out pretty well in the end. As it gave a nice after-punch of spicyness!

funk0ar

So irongaf, some foods re-heat pretty well, sometimes it tastes better than when you originally cook it.

But what about hot chips / french fries? How do I make them taste good by reheating?

funk0ar said:
But what about hot chips / french fries? How do I make them taste good by reheating?
The microwave doesn't work particularly well. I usually reheat them in the oven or toaster oven, but they're not going to be as crispy as fresh ones. Not a bad option, though.

SRG01

Reheating fries doesn't work simply because it has taken in too much moisture (and the oils dehydrogenate into their heavier, denser cousins). IIRC, popping them back into a deep fryer isn't an option either.

What you could try is to freeze them quickly so that no moisture and/or oils would collect. That way, at least the (toaster) oven would be a half-decent option.

scottnak

OnkelC said:
did you make the oven pan from aluminum foil? If so, bravo!:lol

Yup yup! I couldn't find the right dish to use... and because I was fairly hungry, I just thought. Meh, screw it. I'm makin' my own thing!

Ask and ye shall receive, Onkel.
beelzebozo said:
on the topic of saveur, i would definitely concur that the recipes are highly involved. i really don't read it for recipes though--saveur is my magazine for food culture, or food inspiration, so to speak. so i'll read it and there'll be an article about toast appreciation, for example, which leads me to think, "you know, i want to figure out how to make the best homemade bread, and turn that bread into the best muhfuggin' toast ever." and so that leads me on a multi-week project, elbow deep in flour with sourdough starters stinking up two corners of my kitchen.

plus, the photography in every issue is fucking STUNNING.
Yup, I agree with what you said. It's nice having something a little more long-form and thematic every month, and it works as a good complement to the easier recipes I put together out of Cooks Illustrated, the Bittman book, etc... Photos are ace, too.
Flo_Evans said:
I think I also fucked up by just moving the hot skillet directly into the oven, as you can see it cooked more on the bottom than the top. Do you usually transfer the steak into a different pan? Or just skillet cook it and forget the oven? That is what I usually do but the cuts where real thick and the GF wanted medium-well. (blah!) My oven was probably also too hot (425) because I was trying to brown the potatoes. I think I actually had to stick them under the broiler to finish them before my meat turned to charcoal.
Like icarus points out - it's a tough cut to do properly. I guess I'd go on the stove top in a cast iron skillet on one side, then flip it and put it into the oven. The problem is getting it cooked the correct amount. :/ Usually I just go for steaks and cuts that are more like 1"+ thick, which is easier to do quickly. Those I can just sear quickly on each side and it's basically done to medium rare.

A few things from this weekend:
3300926319_541bc9db8f.jpg

Potatoe soup. Cooked up some bacon, pulled the bacon out and added onions/carrots/celery for a while. Then put in some home made chicken stock and a lot of cut potatoes. Let it simmer for 30 minutes, then added the bacon back in and mixed it up with a hand blender. Finished it with some half and half. Turned out pretty well! I went light on the mirepoix this time which helped it have more of a potato flavor and less onion flavor, which was what I was going for.

3300926251_9c6ea3d4a7.jpg

Put some fried eggs over toast on Saturday morning. There's also bacon nestled underneath ;). Note the farm fresh egg on the left versus the store bought one on the right. The fresh one has a much bigger yolk and a nice, dark yellow hue. Yum.

3301758514_8a26b360bc.jpg

I get a weekly food box from a local place out here. It isn't too expensive, and I get to pick the six items I want via a web form. That's my haul from last week. Includes: swiss chard, yellow beets, baby bok choy, eggs (I get them every two weeks), avocados, garlic, and some tangerines.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
looks really nice and healthy! Thanks for sharing. I also made the observation that free-range eggs are worth the small premium over battery eggs.

Just returned from an italian restaurant and got a fix of Carbonara:
smallP1000938.jpg

wife had a pizza:
smallP1000689.jpg

both stock pics, but you get the point.

Keep sharing, folks!

jarosh

made a simple stir fry that turned out really tasty.

ingredients

ginger chunks
green beans
red bell pepper
silken tofu
fresh coriander
cumin, turmeric, chili powder, salt, sugar
thai black pepper sauce​

240209-2.jpg

240209-1.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
very nice. i love a good stir-fry.

going to make some barbecued pork papardelle and roast broccoli tonight. will try to remember to take some pictures before i stuff my face.

jarosh

thanks! i haven't been taking a lot of pics lately either but you should definitely be taking more. you cook so many great (and elaborate) dishes, yet you hardly ever post photos of them here! :p

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
by the time i get done cooking i'm so hungry and it's so late that it doesn't seem so important anymore :lol

maslow's hierarchy and all that

jarosh

leftovers, yay!

made miso soup with the leftover tofu and fried rice from yesterday's stir fry rice.

the miso soup was simple and delicious. beside the miso paste the only ingredients were the silken tofu, some cut up nori and a little bit of cabbage and leek.

the rice was just random veggies (carrots, cabbage, soy sprouts, leek...), eggs, ginger, cumin, soy sauce, salt, pepper.

250209-1.jpg
250209-2.jpg

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
just wanted to mention that jarosh's fried rice that he made tonight was literally the best fried rice that i have ever eaten! far better than any restaurant. the miso soup was also amazing, you really can't beat homemade miso soup, and i had been craving a good bowl of it for a while.

jarosh must have some asian blood mixed in there somewhere with the swiss blood, because all of his asian noodle dishes, rice dishes, curries, soups, etc. turn out absolutely amazing! ;) i am very lucky to have a husband who can cook so well :)

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
cloudwalking said:
just wanted to mention that jarosh's fried rice that he made tonight was literally the best fried rice that i have ever eaten! far better than any restaurant. the miso soup was also amazing, you really can't beat homemade miso soup, and i had been craving a good bowl of it for a while.

jarosh must have some asian blood mixed in there somewhere with the swiss blood, because all of his asian noodle dishes, rice dishes, curries, soups, etc. turn out absolutely amazing! ;) i am very lucky to have a husband who can cook so well :)

In case you two love birds haven't gotten the message, you're no longer welcome on NeoGAF:

Internet Mood Report rates NeoGAF as the saddest board on the Internet

Who else thinks Monogamy just doesn't work?

I just want to express my love for rayu!

layu.jpg

Rayu is a chili oil with some sesame in it, and it just taste fucking fantastic!

Also ever since I've stumbled upon rayu I accept crying characters in anime much better, since they must all be eating rayu!

Why? because a few drops of rayu is gonna make your body leak, with tears running down your cheeks!

It perfectly transforms any ordinary meal into an experience!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
you make me jealous. having no one to cook for under the week is not amusing. Visited the wife yesterday and made a nice bolognese for dinner:
smallP1010406.jpg

keep sharing!

I'm looking for a recipe for a teriyaki-glaze chicken chop bowl. Kind of like the one posted a couple of pages back. Scallions, Teriyaki glaze, chicken, snap peas, rice, etc.

Would anyone oblige me?

mrkgoo

I 'm not sure if I've posted here before, so I don't know the 'rules' - is the idea to share recipes, or just post meals or what?

Anyway, since I have been in the US (not that that makes a difference), I have to fend for myself. With all new ingredients compared to NZ, even the same stuff often has slightly different tastes (man, what's teh deal with US butter?!), going through my mental recipe book is like experiencing all the dishes afresh!

Here's a sample from my crap-crap iPhone cam:

White wine Chorizo Risotto:
mjqzow.jpg

invjg8.jpg

Hoemmade Pizza (homemade base is the best):
2rdu8mh.jpg

Thai Green Curry:
dmb0wn.jpg

10x8ppf.jpg

Chinese Rice Congee with tofu and Ginkgo (and Marmite!):
k3qd6p.jpg

Vegetarian Lasagne with fresh egg pasta:
ws77yt.jpg

Monkey Brains:
iqj5uo.jpg

Just kidding -> Purple Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts with blue cheese sauce:
w0gjf4.jpg

Am I doing this right?

mrkgoo

OnkelC said:
mrkgoo, you're doing it totally right! thanks and welcome. sharing recipes is a plus.

Thanks. To be honest, it's difficult to give recipes as I kind of make them up as I go. For example - that Thai green curry? I wouldn't remember what I put in it. I remember the Blue cheese sauce, though, because I just made it last night:

4 tbsp Butter
4 tbsp flour
2 1/3 cup milk
1/4 of a half (lol) block of blue cheese
Salt n Pepper to taste

Melt butter in saucepan, until liquid. Ads flour and stir rapidly until frothy. Turn stove down and add milk a bit at a time (maybe 1/4 cup). Heat until hot, constantly stirring. When down to last half cup, salt and pepper to taste -then add blue cheese cut up into small pieces. Stir until melted, and repeat with the last bit of milk. Key is to CONSTANTLY stir to prevent burning. If this burns, it's game over. Serves 2,3, or 4 depending on how much restraint you have.

Poured over any boiled/steamed veges is heavenly.

Don't like blue cheese? Other cheeses will suffice.

For variety, some quartered white button mushrooms added about 3-5 minutes before you remove from heat.

And dammit Onkel - we miss you in the photo threads! (Well, I think, I haven't been around for a bit).

mrkgoo

Cornballer said:
Put some fried eggs over toast on Saturday morning. There's also bacon nestled underneath ;). Note the farm fresh egg on the left versus the store bought one on the right. The fresh one has a much bigger yolk and a nice, dark yellow hue. Yum.

Man, I've been looking for those! I've been trying all sorts of organic, free-range etc eggs here in the US to find those darker yolk eggs - in NZ, the standard is pretty dark (like those), and farm ones go a deep orange. But here everything is nearly this fluorescent yellow. And your butter is white. And your Cheese is orange.

And I still have yet to find decent bread.

Zyzyxxz

so during my two week ban I didn't really cook much, went out alot and got some fast food, but I did manage to snap some pics of the few things I cooked.

curried zucchini soup
3304990424_bf886367dd_b.jpg

chicken cooked in a red wine and chicken stock reduction + garlic and fresh parsely paste
3304992614_324a490619_b.jpg

Schrade

Zyzyxxz said:
so during my two week ban I didn't really cook much, went out alot and got some fast food, but I did manage to snap some pics of the few things I cooked.

curried zucchini soup
[IMG ]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3446/3304990424_bf886367dd_b.jpg[/IMG]

chicken cooked in a red wine and chicken stock reduction + garlic and fresh parsely paste
3304992614_324a490619_b.jpg
Oh. My. God. That chicken looks heavenly! Nice job. Have the recipe for that please?

Zyzyxxz

Schrade said:
Oh. My. God. That chicken looks heavenly! Nice job. Have the recipe for that please?

I got it out of a spanish cook book so I'll just "paraphrase" it.

Cut chicken thigh into thirds, remove most of the fat from it. For 1 lb of chicken mix in 1 tbspn of paprika and season with salt and pepper to your liking.

In a pan fry some garlic (with the skin on!) in a little oil for 2 mins, until the garlic is super soft. Let it cool and remove the skins from it. Chopped up some flat leaf parsley really good and then combine it with the garlic by mashing it into a paste, mortar & pestle or a thick bowl with a heavy spoon.

Then oil up the pan if needed, add chicken, cook a few minutes, add 1/4 cup of fino sherry (I used red wine since I'm couldnt find any at home), let it boil for 30 secs then add 1/2 cup of chicken stock and a bay leaf, let it boil and then simmer it for a few minutes.

Finally add in the garlic + parsley paste and mix it around and then it should really start to thicken up.

bovo

Long time since last food post - kitchen was a bit dark, so I've ended up with a 1970s effect, not seen since my toad-in-the-hole pictures about 3 years(?) ago...

I present, a pizza (variety unknown).

Final toppings: Buffalo mozarella, prosciutto crudo, rocket:

Base, baked with tomato sauce, onions and olives:

Final assembly for serving:

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/bovo/3313299765/" ]
3313299765_1c0bf37db2.jpg
[/url]

This is the first pizza I've made in this way (rocket, mozarella, prosciutto added after cooking). I based it on (ripped it off from) a pizza I had in a restaurant (Pizza Express for UK viewers)

Re: Buffalo Mozzarella

My dad has now worked with a guy who has a water buffalo farm here in Wisconsin. They are still getting started on milk production but soon will be selling it to make mozzarella di bufalo. That hookup will be amazing, esp with the milk going for ~$40/gal raw. :O

Zyzyxxz

wow didn't know there was such a thing as buffalo mozarello! How does it taste compared to regular mozzarello?

anyway ran out of creative ideas so I just fell back on tonkatsu curry. I was gonna top the rice with carmelized red capiscum (bell) peppers but I got too lazy to have another pan I'd need to wash.
3315284610_35921d2ab0_b.jpg

coltcannon said:
Re: Buffalo Mozzarella

My dad has now worked with a guy who has a water buffalo farm here in Wisconsin. They are still getting started on milk production but soon will be selling it to make mozzarella di bufalo. That hookup will be amazing, esp with the milk going for ~$40/gal raw. :O

Just curious, but how did he get the water buffalo in the country?

My Dad is a vet, and he was helping on someone's project to artificially impregnate cows with Water Buffalo embryo's since it's illegal to import them.

Zyzyxxz, it's actually the traditionaly milk for Mozzeralla, but it's not often seen in the US because there A) aren't many waterbuffalo (see above), and the stuff that's made in italy is controlled by the mob, overpriced and often spoiled.

electricpirate said:
Just curious, but how did he get the water buffalo in the country?

My Dad is a vet, and he was helping on someone's project to artificially impregnate cows with Water Buffalo embryo's since it's illegal to import them.

Zyzyxxz, it's actually the traditionaly milk for Mozzeralla, but it's not often seen in the US because there A) aren't many waterbuffalo (see above), and the stuff that's made in italy is controlled by the mob, overpriced and often spoiled.

Im not exactly sure how or what the legality is. I do know that my dad worked on their farm and used it as part of a project for the World Dairy Expo, so either this breed is legal or the legality has changed/different in WI. Also to note these are from european breeding, not african like most what most people think of as water buffalo.

As above, traditionally mozzarella is from buffalo milk. Its got a different fat content, and should only be served within a few days of the cheese production. The taste and texture is usually very similar, though you can tell that its not from dairy cow milk. (maybe my extraordinary cheesehead can only sense this :D ) That said I have not had the cheese from this farm yet, only at other events.

risk

Zyzyxxz said:
wow didn't know there was such a thing as buffalo mozarello! How does it taste compared to regular mozzarello?

anyway ran out of creative ideas so I just fell back on tonkatsu curry. I was gonna top the rice with carmelized red capiscum (bell) peppers but I got too lazy to have another pan I'd need to wash.
3315284610_35921d2ab0_b.jpg

Mind sharing your curry recipe?

jarosh

dinner today: (vegetarian) massaman curry. one of my favorite currys.

among the ingredients are: potatoes, quorn, peanuts, leek, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, coconut milk and massaman paste

280209-2Z.jpg
280209-1Z4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom