• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some beef stew that we made the other night.
3330039786_bde4ee2b5a.jpg

Browning the meat

3330039862_b94eea9403.jpg

Nom nom nom

3330046224_34c81921aa.jpg

Finished product. We ate it over mashed potatoes. Recipe is here. Turned out really well - nice deep flavor with the beer helping out and a tiny bit of vinegar and brown sugar to give it a little sweet and sour action. Oh, and I need to find a way to get my mini tripod higher when I take pics because we eat out of bowls most of the time. :p

3330046354_78dbec6628.jpg

Midweek dinner - poached eggs and roasted cauliflower over mashed potatoes.

3330046292_812530b448.jpg

Bonus cheese shot.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
jarosh, cornballer, thanks for sharing! Blablurn, well, :lol :lol :lol thanks to you too, looks like an interesting combo. Was it "empty the fridge"-day?

Pasta and spicy meat goes well together, here's a combo of Gyros meat, gratined with cheese, a helping of Tsastiki accompanied with Fusilli:
smallP1030397.jpg

Keep sharing, people!

Blablurn

OnkelC said:
jarosh, cornballer, thanks for sharing! Blablurn, well, :lol :lol :lol thanks to you too, looks like an interesting combo. Was it "empty the fridge"-day?

exactly :lol but it was delicious :)

woah, awesome gyros, onkel! did you make it? looks delicious.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I just ate some regular ol' Kiwi and googled up some facts about it. I found that it tenderizes meat very quickly (due to enzyme contained in the fruit). Has anyone tried this before? I read that Koreans use this in their dishes a lot.

You use a Kiwi, cut in half. Rub cut side down on the meat (like a flank steak) and let the juices do its thing for a half an hour. Then just cook it! I want to try this.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Has it been discussed how amazingly good pesto and eggs are together? I wanted something a bit different than my usual cheese omelette, so I mixed in a small spoonful of pesto and some additional minced garlic into the eggs before cooking, and put some grated romano on at the end. It was... the best I've had in forever.

scottnak

Finally got me a pack of chicken to play with... so a bunch of nice chicken-centric dishes lately

S'more mabo tofu...
Photo0100.jpg

And then using the Personal Trainer: Cooking 'game' on the DS, I made oyakodon!
Photo0099.jpg

And then some Chicken Karaage + Redone Tofu bake.
Instead of just a mayo layer, i added tuna to the mayo to make a tuna salad on top with extra cheese. also lightly panfried the tofu before hand. Turned out amazingly good this time!
And the Chicken Karaage was perfect!
Photo0102.jpg

And today, Pineapple Chicken! w/ a lemony sliced carrot sidedish. Yum!
Photo0105.jpg

Fritz said:
Do I see a Laguiole knife there, nice!
Yup, my parents got it for me as a gift a few years ago. My sister got the whole carving set from them, so she won that round. :p
Cosmic Bus said:
Has it been discussed how amazingly good pesto and eggs are together? I wanted something a bit different than my usual cheese omelette, so I mixed in a small spoonful of pesto and some additional minced garlic into the eggs before cooking, and put some grated romano on at the end. It was... the best I've had in forever.
I love eggs and pesto. Such a great combo. Usually I'll toast some bread, spread the pesto on the toast, and top with either fried or poached eggs. Yum.

3348609806_59490347e6.jpg

food box this week: eggs, avocadoes, tangerines, apples, purple kohlrabi, bok choy, kale

3347774507_eba634e535.jpg

Purple Kohlrabi. It looks like some sort of alien veggie. Last time we thin sliced it into salad which worked out pretty well. This time my gf pickled them with some vinegar, sugar, and spices. I'll try it out in a few days to see how they taste.

Big meal of the week: Soy Sauce Marinated Ribs from Saveur's recipe. (Hawaiian Kalbi)

3348609934_2c18a97690.jpg

Marinade

3347774215_4e88c4ebb3.jpg

Finished product

3348609670_be848f8ffd.jpg

Ribs!

3347774353_4f0e6243fa.jpg

Closeup

They turned out very well. It's a simple preparation that doesn't require any strange ingredients or a lot of prep time. We did the marinade the night before, and it took about 45 minutes in the oven to cook. Ended up well carmelized and tasty. I still slightly prefer slow smoked ribs, but these are a great option if you don't have the time to do that. Definitely top with scallions as they suggest for a nice garnish. Yum.

Blablurn

nice, cornballer! nice.

coldvein said:
yo Blablurn wuts a shupenfuden and what's in that nice little sauce there?

Schupfnudeln = a type of thick noodles made of potatoes, flour and eggs (seems like there is no correct translation)

the sauce is a standard tomato sauce. nothing special at all!

Today's food:

315ivcw.jpg
x5e0rs.jpg

croquette with cordon bleu. unfortunately it's not self-made cordon bleu but still very delicious.

Akira

This thread needs more soups/casseroles/stews. Delicious looking ribs, Cornballer!

Do you guys know of any Iron Chef wiki of sorts, that has the cooking properties of common (and noncommon) ingredients? Like for example, "Onions: frying in some oil before putting in the meat will get rid of the gaminess."

tri_willy

Jellyfish Salad accompanied with roast pork

jellyfishsaladheoquay.png

quick job with this one. went the easy way and bought a packet of ready made jellyfish and added contents plus a lil more of flavouring to get the taste. garnished with grated carrot, shallots, coriander and toasted sesame seeds. took advantage of roast pork which was prepared by my mum and tried to make this look fancy haha. enjoy!!! :D

Slizz

just got an awesome sandwich from down the street, the sheer size and the fresh ingredients make me want to post it here, bagel is made fresh daily, turkey cut in front of you, also homemade pickles

0314091713-01.jpg

Slizz

jarosh said:
that looks delicious

turkey club, with muenster cheese, tomato, onion, lettuce, bacon. fantastic, will be going back for those sandwiches, their bagels are really really good.

Zyzyxxz

tri_willy said:
Jellyfish Salad accompanied with roast pork

jellyfishsaladheoquay.png

quick job with this one. went the easy way and bought a packet of ready made jellyfish and added contents plus a lil more of flavouring to get the taste. garnished with grated carrot, shallots, coriander and toasted sesame seeds. took advantage of roast pork which was prepared by my mum and tried to make this look fancy haha. enjoy!!! :D

I didn't realize I've been eating jellyfish all these years. Never bother to asked as I assumed it was some random animal part like tendom or something.

Well you know what they say about us Chinese, we'll eat anything except the table.

Anyway looks good, how did your mom make the roast pork? Looks as good as store bought ones.

edbrat

The salad looks delicious tri_willy, is that belly pork? How was it prepared?

I've only eaten jellyfish a few times, I remember it mainly as a textural thing and it relied a lot on the dressing. Definitely good eating tho, I'd never have thought of combining it with pork :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
had a pizza night with some friends. here are the two pizzas i made:

mushroom, spinach, anchovy, garlic, fontina cheese and fried egg pizza

vfjgwy.jpg

crushed tomato, mozarella, and bacon pizza finished with arugula

33wvekh.jpg

and here's our group, celebrating the joys of culinary togetherness

301oyg1.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Cornballer said:
Pizza looks good, beelze. I'm a strong proponent of egg on pizza. A lot of people think it's weird; I think it's delicious.

Its not unusual in Italy to use egg as a topping and it is very common to use it as a topping for Khachapuri (a Georgian dish similar to pizza).

Well I'll eat eggs with anything too so its a toppign I can appreciate.

tri_willy

cheers ZyZyxxz & edbrat. the roast pork pretty much has a simple marinade attached to it. belly pork was used which included ribs underneath but that was separated. marinade basically comprised of salt, pepper, onion, garlic and good 'ol fish sauce. the cooking technique varies. after marinading, the pork can be boiled/poached for around 15-20 mins and after that it can be ready to roast. tip: just before roasting apply salt to the top of the pork i.e. the skin on top if you like the crackling on top.

the jellyfish marinade is still a work in progress unfortunately but i do know that it mainly comprises of chilli sauce, sesame seed oil maybe light soy sauce and gotta figure out the rest of the main flavourings. the stuff is so addictive and it has a nice smooth and crunchy texture.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Made this yesterday...

23u1mdw.jpg

Fried Porkchops that's been seasoned with Adobo (taste) and Sazon (Coloring), Mash Red Potatoes (just butter, milk and salt... I need to get more creative there), bijou gravy and a medley of canned veges.

Zyzyxxz said:
Its not unusual in Italy to use egg as a topping and it is very common to use it as a topping for Khachapuri (a Georgian dish similar to pizza).
It's somewhat rare to see it on pizza here in the US, but a few of the more traditional Italian places do it.
Well I'll eat eggs with anything too so its a toppign I can appreciate.
Me too! I'll put poached or fried eggs on just about anything.

Tf53

BlueTsunami said:
Mash Red Potatoes (just butter, milk and salt... I need to get more creative there)
If I may suggest, try an egg and some sugar. My mash workflow is potatoes -> butter -> mash -> egg -> mix -> milk -> mix -> salt and sugar.

Vegan fish and shrimp tacos for dinner yesterday with some home-made salsa and guac:
3362158456_fb3b849851_o.jpg

The fish was thawed out frozen tofu that I battered in panko. The shrimp was some weird vegan fake-meat shrimp that I battered.

I attempted a vegan white sauce for the taco. Usually it's made with mayonaise, condensed milk and lime. I just used veganaise, almond milk, and lime and it tasted pretty good.

jarosh

i have been reading up on gluten free baking lately, especially on bread. cloudwalking has helped me experiment with different recipes and combinations of ingredients and today i made what turned out to be the ultimate gluten free white sandwich bread. i can't believe how amazing it tastes and how fantastic the texture turned out to be. it's moist, unbelievably fluffy, has a nice crust and just the right amount of stickiness...

bread1.jpg

bread2.jpg

i'll gladly share the recipe if anyone's interested.

way more

God Bless the A.V. Club's The Hater for introducing me to this monstrosity.
The A.V. Club.

Kwanzaa+Cake.JPG

The Kwanzaa Cake - Somehow it shames even Kwanzaa

Anthony Bourdain on that.

All you have to do is waddle into the kitchen, open a can of crap and spread it on some other crap that you bought at the supermarket. And then you've done something really special. The most terrifying thing I've seen is her making a Kwanzaa cake. Watch that clip and tell me your eyeballs don't burst into flames. It's a war crime on television. You'll scream.

Here is the vid of the Food Network personality detailing the creation of this abomination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Sandra Lee seems like an appropriate mascot... a beacon if you will for trophy wives.

I mean, how else do you 'cook', if you're a know nothing that's been married by some rich dude for your looks alone?

Dude that's rich enough to get a proper caterer.

jarosh

santouras said:
definitely interested please
i assume this was directed at me and you're asking for the recipe, so here goes... (my original recipe is in grams but i tried to convert things where possible)

500g (~4 cups) gluten free flour mix (i used a mix of rice flour, corn flour and potato starch)
7g (2 tsp, 1 package) dry yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3.5 teaspoons xanthan gum
1.5 teaspoon agar agar powder

40g (~3 tbsp) unsalted butter
2 or 3 eggs (this can be omitted if you can't have eggs)

200 ml (0.8 cups) carbonated water
200 ml (0.8 cups) (non-dairy) milk (i used rice milk, but you can use any kind... soy milk, almond etc.)

- mix dry ingredients
- beat eggs and mix with melted butter
- add eggs and butter to flour
- mix water and milk
- slowly add the milk/water mixture to the rest of the ingredients and stir gently
- mix all the ingredients well until you get a nice, sticky batter with a consistent texture
- grease a medium sized bread pan with butter or oil
- scoop the dough into the pan
- cover with a damp kitchen cloth and let it rise for 1 hour
- pre-heat oven to 200°C (=~390°F)
- lightly coat the top of the dough with (olive) oil
- bake for 50 - 60 minutes

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jarosh said:
i have been reading up on gluten free baking lately, especially on bread. cloudwalking has helped me experiment with different recipes and combinations of ingredients and today i made what turned out to be the ultimate gluten free white sandwich bread. i can't believe how amazing it tastes and how fantastic the texture turned out to be. it's moist, unbelievably fluffy, has a nice crust and just the right amount of stickiness...

i'll gladly share the recipe if anyone's interested.

this looks wonderful dude. glad you found a bread recipe you like, as having to go gluten-free and never enjoying a good slice of bread sounds like the most horrifying thing in the world to me. and i can tell just reading this that you share the bread passion, perhaps even more so because you had to fight for it.

i've got kind of a toast fetish myself; all too often you'll find me kicked back in my room with a couple slices of toast just fucking slathered with lemon curd, sprinkled with sea salt, partaking of the little pleasures of a great piece of perfectly browned bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom