• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

risk said:
Mind sharing your curry recipe?

the one in the pic was a quickly made using store bought japanese curry roux and a little bit of indian curry powder.

I'll just give you my good recipe that I would normally use to make from scratch:

to make the roux:
1 whole onion thinly sliced and caramelized with 2 tbspn of butter (takes 30-40 mins but worth the effort to do it properly)
mix 1 tbsp ketchup, 1 tbsp of soy sauce (shoyu), 1 tbsp of mango chutney and set aside (if no mango chutney its alright)

mix in 2 tbsp of curry powder and 4 tbsp of flour to the onions and then the ketchup/soy/chutney mixture and mash it all up together, set aside in a bowl for later use. You can do this ahead of time so you dont have to make the roux and curry the same day.

Now for the curry you want:

14oz can of chicken stock
one large (or 2 small) carrot grated
half an apple grated
button mushrooms sliced into fourths
1 onion halved then sliced.

Cook in the onions in some oil on high heat until browned, then add in the mushrooms, then in go grated carrots, then the apple soon after, give it a little stir fry and add the chicken stock. Once the stock reaches a boil start adding in the curry roux a little bit at a time until completely dissolved and allow it to simmer on medium to low depending on your stovetop.

Goes really well with tonkatsu or pork in general since its sweet.

Easy_G

I've been watching this thread for the longest time without a camera to share. Still don't have a camera, but I did get a new phone that takes pictures well enough to make out what it is. So my first dish is just simple french toast with sliced sourdough.
3316680751_d0130ba20d_o.jpg

risk

Zyzyxxz said:
the one in the pic was a quickly made using store bought japanese curry roux and a little bit of indian curry powder.

I'll just give you my good recipe that I would normally use to make from scratch:

to make the roux:
1 whole onion thinly sliced and caramelized with 2 tbspn of butter (takes 30-40 mins but worth the effort to do it properly)
mix 1 tbsp ketchup, 1 tbsp of soy sauce (shoyu), 1 tbsp of mango chutney and set aside (if no mango chutney its alright)

mix in 2 tbsp of curry powder and 4 tbsp of flour to the onions and then the ketchup/soy/chutney mixture and mash it all up together, set aside in a bowl for later use. You can do this ahead of time so you dont have to make the roux and curry the same day.

Now for the curry you want:

14oz can of chicken stock
one large (or 2 small) carrot grated
half an apple grated
button mushrooms sliced into fourths
1 onion halved then sliced.

Cook in the onions in some oil on high heat until browned, then add in the mushrooms, then in go grated carrots, then the apple soon after, give it a little stir fry and add the chicken stock. Once the stock reaches a boil start adding in the curry roux a little bit at a time until completely dissolved and allow it to simmer on medium to low depending on your stovetop.

Goes really well with tonkatsu or pork in general since its sweet.

mmm thanks! i shall try it soon

Zyzyxxz

risk said:
mmm thanks! i shall try it soon

potatoes are optional too to let you know just make sure you either cut them up small enough to cook fast or pre-cook them until they are almost done then add them in later

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
bovo, great to see you back in here! How come I spot prosciutto aka meat on a dish of yours?

Zyzyxxz, really good looking stuff again!

jarosh, great pics!

Easy_G, looks fine! nice presentation as well. Welcome to the thread!

Thanks to all of you for sharing.

I'll fix up Käsespätzle tonight:
smallP1010545.jpg

bovo

Zyzyxxz said:
wow didn't know there was such a thing as buffalo mozarello! How does it taste compared to regular mozzarello?

Buffalo mozarella is creamier/richer tasting than cows milk mozzarella. It also has a different texture. The outside is slightly firmer than c-m mozzarella, but the middle is softer... (at least in my experience - I'm not an authority on it!)

OnkelC said:
bovo, great to see you back in here! How come I spot prosciutto aka meat on a dish of yours?

It's mrs bovo who's the vegetarian, not me! I made a separate pizza with mozarella, tomato, onion and pesto. (and a third smaller pizza with salami - meat eaters now out-number vegetarians 2 to 1 :lol )

Askani

I've been wanting to try authentic ramen for quit awhile. Being in the midwest of the US though, there aren't exactly a plethora of ramen bars on the streets. I was reading the ramen thread and decided to try my hand at it. The family was yelling at me because they were hungry, and I didn't want to try to make the noodles, so I just used packaged brands instead.

Crispy fried pork steak cooked in a touch of oil, some soy sauce, garlic, seasoned salt and pepper.
Sauteed mushrooms in butter and a little garlic.
Hard boiled eggs.
Green onions.

No pictures of the process, but the final result came out like this:
fuot2d.jpg

The family and I were pretty happy with it. Next time I'm going to try to do my own broth and better noodles.

The ramen looks great, Askani! Did you make your own broth or used the packaged broth?

If you can find an Asian grocery store near you, it's easy to get just plain dried ramen noodles and the ingredients to make your own broth.

Askani

nakedsushi said:
The ramen looks great, Askani! Did you make your own broth or used the packaged broth?

If you can find an Asian grocery store near you, it's easy to get just plain dried ramen noodles and the ingredients to make your own broth.

No...I totally cheated and used prepacked types. That's the goal for next time though is completely homemade.

Zyzyxxz

Man the ramen thread made me yearn for it really badly! Tomorrow I'm gonna make my own dashi stock and make some noodles from scratch.

lightly fried chicken then seasoned with chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder then drained of oil and stir fried with onions and ginger.
3323988465_8c0090491b_b.jpg

Stir fried shrimp with eggs, bell peppers, garlic
3324824698_be69010037_b.jpg

jarosh

i realize no one seems to give a rat's ass about my foods and pics anymore lately but i've been on a roll for a couple of weeks, so here goes...

030309-1.jpg

030309-2.jpg

sweet and sour with tofu, bell pepper, leek and green beans. served with rice noodles.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
jarosh said:
i realize no one seems to give a rat's ass about my foods and pics anymore lately but i've been on a roll for a couple of weeks, so here goes...

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/jarosh-gaf/030309-1.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/jarosh-gaf/030309-2.jpg[IMG]

sweet and sour with tofu, bell pepper, leek and green beans. served with rice noodles.[/QUOTE]
IronGAF wouldn't be the same without your always appetizing dishes and wonderful pictures. please keep sharing!
It would help if you could add the recipes.

jarosh

OnkelC said:
IronGAF wouldn't be the same without your always appetizing dishes and wonderful pictures. please keep sharing!
It would help if you could add the recipes.
i'm never sure if people really care about the recipes. i'm always happy to share one if someone requests it of course. a lot of the stuff i've been posting lately is pretty straightforward anyway. so i always kinda thought that when i post the ingredients list (which i pretty much always do) people can probably figure it all out themselves. stir-fry, curry, sweet and sour - nothing all that sophisticated.

but, as i said, i'm always willing to share the recipes. anyone wants to know one - just ask!

Zyzyxxz

jarosh said:

030309-1.jpg

sweet and sour with tofu, bell pepper, leek and green beans. served with rice noodles.

I always like your photos and your food always looks good as well! Just that your a regular so it's kinda like I would just give you the nod if you were to walk into the bar, guess you didn't notice.

Anyway if you could share the recipe for the tofu that would be great, it looks very vibrant and "restaurant" like.

jarosh said:
i'm never sure if people really care about the recipes. i'm always happy to share one if someone requests it of course. a lot of the stuff i've been posting lately is pretty straightforward anyway. so i always kinda thought that when i post the ingredients list (which i pretty much always do) people can probably figure it all out themselves. stir-fry, curry, sweet and sour - nothing all that sophisticated.

but, as i said, i'm always willing to share the recipes. anyone wants to know one - just ask!

I'm not much of a recipe-follower but do appreciate an ingredients list. That's how I read recipes anyway, just the ingredients part and then wing the instructions.

I enjoy your food even if I don't comment on it!

3324310205_bba3b00cb4.jpg

Dinner last night was young broccoli, some leftover homemade bread and vegan pate.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
nakedsushi, do you buy or make your own vegan pate? i absolutely love it... it can be found at health food stores here, but it's extremely expensive. i'm looking for some sort of alternative!

jarosh

Zyzyxxz said:
I always like your photos and your food always looks good as well! Just that your a regular so it's kinda like I would just give you the nod if you were to walk into the bar, guess you didn't notice.

Anyway if you could share the recipe for the tofu that would be great, it looks very vibrant and "restaurant" like.
oh yeah no worries there. i'm not that desperately fishing for compliments... just yet. merely testing out my grumpy old man routine. :p

it's funny that you specifically call it "restaurant like". we've been saying the same thing while eating it because it reminded us so much of a sweet & sour we had at a local asian restaurant. which isn't all that surprising considering that i buy a lot of the ingredients for my thai, chinese and japanese dishes at the same little asian store that also supplies the restaurant. haha. this time i bought the same tofu they use in THEIR sweet & sour. and man, it was freakin' delicious!

anyway, here's the super straightforward recipe:

- 1 large red bell pepper
- some leek
- a handful of (frozen) green beans
- asian firm pre deep fried tofu
- store bought sweet & sour sauce*

fry some leek (or onions, but i always use leek instead) in some sesame oil. add the cut up bell pepper and the beans. at this point i usually add a bit of salt, sugar and pepper. i also put the lid on the pan for a bit. i think the veggies should be thoroughly cooked for a sweet & sour. after a while add the tofu cubes. i just push the veggies aside a bit in the pan, add a tiny bit of sesame oil and fry the tofu for a couple of minutes. then i mix everything and add the sweet & sour sauce. cook for a few more minutes. add spices if needed (i ONLY used salt, pepper and sugar on this one). serve with rice or noodles.

*of course you could make your own sweet & sour sauce. i've actually tried a ton of different store bought ones in the past. and i would usually add quite a bit more sugar and even ketchup because the sauces were all kinda lacking in one way or another. i totally hit the jackpot with the one i tried today though. the brand is suzi wan. but it's only available in europe. it's just the sauce and nothing else too, there's no veggies or other chunks in it. i like it that way. i like adding my own stuff.

sauce_aigre_douce_froide.jpg

http://www.suziwan.ch/SuziWan/de-sw/produit/AideCulinaire/condiments_08.htm

i don't think this is a very sophisticated or "authentic" brand but i was shocked at how good the sauce was and how similar it tasted to what we had at the restaurant.

nakedsushi said:
That's how I read recipes anyway, just the ingredients part and then wing the instructions.
haha. totally agree there. that's how i read recipes too.

Zyzyxxz

jarosh said:
anyway, here's the super straightforward recipe:

- 1 large red bell pepper
- some leek
- a handful of (frozen) green beans
- asian firm pre deep fried tofu
- store bought sweet & sour sauce*

fry some leek (or onions, but i always use leek instead) in some sesame oil. add the cut up bell pepper and the beans. at this point i usually add a bit of salt, sugar and pepper. i also put the lid on the pan for a bit. i think the veggies should be thoroughly cooked for a sweet & sour. after a while add the tofu cubes. i just push the veggies aside a bit in the pan, add a tiny bit of sesame oil and fry the tofu for a couple of minutes. then i mix everything and add the sweet & sour sauce. cook for a few more minutes. add spices if needed (i ONLY used salt, pepper and sugar on this one). serve with rice or noodles.

sounds simple enough, though I would probably cook the vegetables to just al dente, if you meant they should be soft, because I'd like to have contrasting textures because the tofu is already soft enough as it is.

jarosh

Zyzyxxz said:
sounds simple enough, though I would probably cook the vegetables to just al dente, if you meant they should be soft, because I'd like to have contrasting textures because the tofu is already soft enough as it is.
obviously i wouldn't cook them to mush. but you know how in certain stir-frys the veggies barely touch the wok/pan and they throw them on the plate borderline raw? i like them to have some bite still, but i also really enjoy the cooked flavor and texture. it's somewhere in between i guess. but hey, obviously this is up to you in the end. just stating my preference ;)

Zyzyxxz

jarosh said:
obviously i wouldn't cook them to mush. but you know how in certain stir-frys the veggies barely touch the wok/pan and they throw them on the plate borderline raw? i like them to have some bite still, but i also really enjoy the cooked flavor and texture. it's somewhere in between i guess. but hey, obviously this is up to you in the end. just stating my preference ;)

yes thats what I meant, no offense meant.

waxer

Im looking for a good chocolate mudcake recipe any recomendations. It would be a bonus if it doesnt require a few days of sitting before icing.

cloudwalking said:
nakedsushi, do you buy or make your own vegan pate? i absolutely love it... it can be found at health food stores here, but it's extremely expensive. i'm looking for some sort of alternative!
I was intrigued also. Love pate, but I'm trying to eat less meat. I found this recipe online and tried it out with some minor modifications. (Recipe text below altered accordingly. Sorry for poor cell phone pics.)

36515818.jpg

Ingredients:

* 3 tbsp olive oil
* 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
* 1/2 onion, sliced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 10 oz firm tofu, mashed
* 1/2 cup mixed nuts
* 1 1/4 tsp salt [I used 1/4 tsp salt like the recipe said & it needed more imo]
* 1 1/4 tsp black pepper [same comment]
* 1 green bell pepper, seeded

90444934.jpg

Sautee the mushrooms, onion and garlic in olive oil until the onions turn soft, about 5 minutes.

43200231.jpg

I mashed the tofu in the pan with the onions/mushroom mix to help cool it before blending.

40562366.jpg

Put the mushrooms mixture and tofu in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Add the walnuts, salt and pepper, and puree again until smooth. This was hard on my blender. If I did this recipe again, I would need a food processor.

That's it for the recipe. It made 3 cups of pate. Wait a minute....

15369763.jpg

What was I supposed to do with this? Recipe didn't say after listing it in the ingredients. I also had 10 oz of tofu left over.

75111645.jpg

17103763.jpg

76847790.jpg

24549601.jpg

84997067.jpg

89107579.jpg

I was hungry so I didn't press the tofu long enough or cook the bell pepper long enough, so the texture was a little off, but it was still delicious.

Wow I had to make dinner for 12 people this weekend... That's some difficult math when you are used to making food for 2 to 4 people only. On top of that, the meal was sukiyaki, so as I gathered ingredients I was like "two eggplants? is that really enough for 12 people?" of course it was since you had 12 other vegetables, but still there's some important calculations to be made.

But in the end it came out perfect, with the right amount of leftovers to be enjoyed by me and my girlfriend the day after! Nice challenge!

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
parrotbeak, thanks a lot for the recipe and photos!

i'm going to have to try this myself... i wonder if you could freeze it? then i could just make a ton of it and save some of it in the freezer.

tri_willy

i return from my hiatus to irongaf because i have not made anything deemed worthy since my last posts, but here's some lunch i prepared.

porterhouse.png

upon going to the supermarket i got a pack of these porterhouse/sirloin steaks for $5 (aussie currency) which is fucking cheap imo. a quick marinade with salt, pepper, crushed garlic, rosemary, thyme and a drizzle of extra virgin was all i needed and into a frying pan for 4-5 mins (depends how you like your steak) and a knob of butter to add colour. tomatoes were roasted with salt and oregano finished with extra virgin and balsamic. lunch fit for a fucking barbaric king!!! enjoy! :D

cloudwalking said:

The BF makes the pate following this recipe:
http://teamsugar.com/group/481043/recipes/689523

I think I've only had it once not home-made at a restaurant, but the version he makes is better IMO. I don't think the ingredients are that expensive.

tri_willy said:
i return from my hiatus to irongaf because i have not made anything deemed worthy since my last posts, but here's some lunch i prepared.

porterhouse.png

Damn, that's the lunch of champions.

parrotbeak: Did you try refridgerating the leftover pate? I'm looking for a recipe where the pate will "set" a little more solid, so that I can slice pieces off like real pate. Did yours set?

nakedsushi said:
parrotbeak: Did you try refridgerating the leftover pate? I'm looking for a recipe where the pate will "set" a little more solid, so that I can slice pieces off like real pate. Did yours set?

No, I made another sandwich this morning, and it's the texture of humus or deviled ham. I really like it, but I wasn't expecting it to set. The only thing in it that could set is the tofu, and that gets softer as it absorbs the liquids from the veggies. Gelatin or corn starch would be needed.

jarosh

Ad Infinitum said:
Looks incredible, how did it taste? Personally, I'm not too keen on Tofu in a curry/gravy/sauce but I'm guessing it's because I've never done it right.
it was very tasty. i use tofu a lot in my curries and sauces. there's nothing wrong with it if you use the right kind for the right dish. silken tofu would be out of place in a curry or a sweet & sour, but works great in soups or stir-frys. i really like the asian deep fried firm tofu because it is still somewhat soft on the inside (unlike western style firm tofu) but it has that very tasty crunchy skin.

nakedsushi said:
The BF makes the pate following this recipe:
http://teamsugar.com/group/481043/recipes/689523

I think I've only had it once not home-made at a restaurant, but the version he makes is better IMO. I don't think the ingredients are that expensive.

Mmm, ume paste. That sounds really good. A bit more work than the recipe I did last night, but sounds worth it. Thanks for sharing!

cloudwalking said:
i'm going to have to try this myself... i wonder if you could freeze it? then i could just make a ton of it and save some of it in the freezer.

I was wondering that too, but I think the texture would suffer after freezing. But I dunno.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
thanks for the recipe nakedsushi! i'm definitely going to try making some pate sometime soon, i will report back with the results!

Random pics and recipes....

3317967698_932de29202.jpg

Noodles with spinach and blue cheese. Very easy, quick recipe. Turned out pretty well. You can't see the sauce, but the blue cheese flavor is definitely there. Recipe from Bittman.

3317967484_bbbd52e957.jpg

The fresh noodles that we used certainly helped.

3317968166_99e09dc08a.jpg

Green Chili Chicken. Very tasty recipe with a hearty sauce that's great over rice. My mom used to make this when we were kids. Takes a while on the stove, but the prepwork is easy-peasy. We typically use legs and thighs rather than dejointing a whole chicken. Recipe from Foster Farms. I have a photo copy of the recipe off the back of a chicken wrapper in my cookbook compilation. :p

3317967984_32eab597d0.jpg

Spice rub for the chicken includes: chili powder, cayenne, salt, and cumin.

3317140701_06065b7381.jpg

Food box from last week: Kale, red potatoes, blood oranges, fuji apples, cauliflower, and baby broccoli. No eggs this week.

^ Baby broccoli looks so good! I've been thinking of signing up for a CSA/food box type thing, but I'd like a little more control over what I get each week. Less fruits, more veggies would be my pick.

nakedsushi said:
^ Baby broccoli looks so good! I've been thinking of signing up for a CSA/food box type thing, but I'd like a little more control over what I get each week. Less fruits, more veggies would be my pick.
It was tasty! We steamed it last night with a side sauce of mayo mixed with lemon juice and pepper. Yum.

I really like our CSA because we get to pick what we want every week. They have a website where we input our selections. Then I just pick it up on the way home Thursday night outside someone's house. Works out very well. :)

santouras

have been a longtime lurker in this thread. I love cooking and am getting a rep amongst friends as a chef which is a good and bad thing, mostly a good thing tho ;) Wish I had some better shots to show off. Also my plating skills need some work, haha

This was lunch today. BLT on turkish. I haven't put the tomato on in this shot, but the vegies there are some fried capsicum(peppers) tomato and brown mushroom. The mayonaise has been mixed as well with honey seeded mustard. Tastes amazing
05032009089.jpg

Cinnamon Pudding, really really good, recipe on request
03012009056.jpg

Fish in white wine with balsamic reduction
got the recipe here
26022009071.jpg

Lamb Shanks, one of my faves. I usually slow cook for about 6hrs, makes it amazingly tender.
DSCN1062.JPG

DSCN1063.JPG

DSCN1064.JPG

DSCN1065.JPG

DSCN1066.JPG

DSCN1067.JPG

DSCN1068.JPG

DSCN1069.JPG

DSCN1070.JPG

DSCN1072.JPG

shanks.jpg

Zyzyxxz

santouras said:
Cinnamon Pudding, really really good, recipe on request
03012009056.jpg

recipe please! I love cinnamon!
:D

love from yesterday, too lazy to cook so I tried Wingstop, verdict: so-so, I can make bigger and juicier wings.

3329354299_1938188068.jpg
3329355125_df7efb90de.jpg

ramen from today, soup was a mixture of homemade dashi stock + pork soup mixture, topped with pork, spinach, soft boiled egg marinated in soy+sake, and sliced leek root.

3330183516_b99daa77fe_b.jpg

I was following the recipe by the Cooking with Dog youtube video and the soup flavor was pretty meh, I'll stick to my own version.

santouras

Cinnamon Pudding

2 cups self raising flour
1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
1 1/2 cups water
25 gms butter, cut in half
1/2 tspoon salt
2 tspons cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1cup milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional, I prefer without)

Put brown sugar, water and half the butter in a small saucepan. Bring to boil and cool.
Sift together flour,salt and cinnamon.
Cream together remaining butter and sugar.. (or just mix well)
Mix in dry ingredients alternately with the milk, mix well.
Spread into an oven proof dish.
Pour brown sugar mixture slowly over the back of a spoon ( so you don't make a hole) sprinkle on nuts
Bake in a moderate oven ( 180ish) for 35-40minutes.
Serve with ice cream or sour cream.

I really need to learn to make my own noodles and pasta as well. I'm slowly gathering the necessary cooking utensils and the like, but will be a while till I've got enough things to make whatever I need. Also, I curse my electric oven everytime I go to use it. Thank goodness for gas stove top, I would never have gotten my apartment if it had an electric top....

Zyzyxxz

santouras said:
Cinnamon Pudding

I really need to learn to make my own noodles and pasta as well. I'm slowly gathering the necessary cooking utensils and the like, but will be a while till I've got enough things to make whatever I need. Also, I curse my electric oven everytime I go to use it. Thank goodness for gas stove top, I would never have gotten my apartment if it had an electric top....

AMEN to that! Electric stovetops have no soul.

waxer

For dinner tonight. A kinda pot pie.
1pwlfp.jpg

Then for dessert. Amaretto and cointreau poached nectarines on leftover pastry and custard.

2a5d4m0.jpg

28kj2gl.jpg

xc69fk.jpg

jarosh

thanks. will watch the video when i'm at home.

i like tea eggs too. i made them a couple of months ago and posted pictures here. the only thing that kinda bothered me about them was that they get fairly hard and dry after all those hours in the hot tea/soy sauce mix.

You don't need to cook them in the mixture. I usually hardboil the eggs in water like normal, make cracks on the shell but leave them on, and then just dump them into the hot soysauce/tea mixture, wait for it to cool, and put the whole thing in the fridge. The longer they marinate in the mixture, the darker/saltier the eggs get.

jarosh

made a (vegeterian) chili for dinner last night. it turned out so damn good. but of course it was even better today ;)

ingredients:

kidney beans
borlotti beans
fresh tomatoes
passata di pomodoro
leek
red bell pepper
orange bell pepper
quorn (fake ground beef)

spices: smoked paprika, chili powder, lots of cumin, coriander, oregano, pepper, salt

060309-01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom