• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zyzyxxz said:
Very nice! I would have liked to see a full on shot to see how you plated it, looks like you did it very nicely but I can't see the whole thing.
I still dont know how I forgot to post these :lol Guess I just rushed out the door a bit too quick :^/ Sorry about that.

2vvqk34.jpg

25z5lx2.jpg

reminder said:
This is my first contribution ever to this awesome thread (that makes me hungry everytime i click on it :D ), and please don't expect something special from me :lol

I just wanted to share my simple, but delicious breakfast:

Scrambled eggs with cheese and fresh chives from the garden:

As i said it's very simple but sooooo good!
Damn, you made my stomach growl...I love egg and cheese with chives. I want some nao!!!
santouras said:
Dinner last night, some meatballs in bolognese sauce

I've been experimenting trying to get a good meatball going and I think I'm pretty close :)
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...do want...

Yes Boss!

In the Mayo Vs. Miracle Whip thread TOM f'N CRUISE gave a neat recipe to make an easy spicy barbecue sauce of equal parts Siracha and Barbecue Sauce. Intrigued, I whipped up a batch and put it on a Bacon Gardenburger (yeah, I often mix real meat with vegetarian food).

Ingredients for the sauce:

P1000817.jpg

One cup of Siracha, one cup of Bull's Eye. If you find Siracha hot you might want to adjust the ratio:

P1000818.jpg

Blended sauce. Yum!:

P1000819.jpg

Real bacon and Gardenburger cooking:

P1000820.jpg

Cooked with spicey jack and ready to go:

P1000821.jpg

Bun is prepped with veggies and a generous helping of the sauce:

P1000822.jpg

Meat added:

P1000823.jpg

Finished!:

P1000824.jpg

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Zyzyxxz said:
you will need it for the coming 2nd Ice Age. I'm ready.

As for the fruit thing we have an asian thing called "Shaved Ice". You'll need a machine either electric or hand crank that can shave the ice. Then you just top it with your favorite fruits, typically mango, strawberry, lychee, pineapple, kiwi, etc. Then top it with some condensed milk, ice cream, fruit syrup or all of the above its your choice so go crazy. You can cut the fruit in advance and the only thing you need to do when you want it is to shave the ice.

examples:
223114705_ef7cfe9a81.jpg
Damn you Zyzyxxz, because of you I've been craving a raspado (shaved ice in spanish) for the last two days.

GameCat

abstract alien said:
You made asparagus too...niiiiiiiiice. I cant get enough of the it, its just too good :lol
Nice plating as well! *thumbs up*

Yeah, we're at the brink of full out asparragus season. You have to eat all you can while it lasts...

beelzebozo said:
EXTREMELY well done, abstract. the caramelization on the lamb is just stunning.
Zyzyxxz said:
now thats what I like to see!
Lol, I wont forget next time, I swear!
GameCat said:
Yeah, we're at the brink of full out asparragus season. You have to eat all you can while it lasts...
Amen to that...
Yes Boss! said:
In the Mayo Vs. Miracle Whip thread TOM f'N CRUISE gave a neat recipe to make an easy spicy barbecue sauce of equal parts Siracha and Barbecue Sauce. Intrigued, I whipped up a batch and put it on a Bacon Gardenburger (yeah, I often mix real meat with vegetarian food).
Hell...Yes...

Some great looking dishes guys!

I've got a bit of a dilemma in that I can't really cook and my missus is a vegetarian. Without meat I don't know what to do, does anyone have any ideas to help me understand this misunderstood creature? Some nice simple vego recipes?

:D

santouras

TheProDaniel said:

I've got a bit of a dilemma in that I can't really cook and my missus is a vegetarian. Without meat I don't know what to do, does anyone have any ideas to help me understand this misunderstood creature? Some nice simple vego recipes?

I like a good bolognese sauce. Its also a great fridge cleaner. This is how I make mine.

dice onion and fry with some garlic in oil till tender
(meat option) brown in some mince (ground beef) or whatever kind of minced meat you like
chuck in some sliced mushrooms, capsicum(peppers), carrots, like I said, its a great fridge cleaner :)
salt + pepper to taste (sometimes I'll put in chilli flakes if I feel like it)
I put in a tin of chopped tomatoes, but you can put in tinned tomatoes and just squash them around
water + tomato paste until its the right thickness
I LOVE to put in some sliced kalamata olives at this stage
basil, oregano, whatever herbs you want. Oregano is pretty important tho

simmer for about 15minutes or so. Watch that it doesn't get too dry, stir occassionally

You can put this on pasta, rice, whatever. Up a bit on this page I have it cooked in with some meatballs. Its just a great simple sauce.

santouras said:
I like a good bolognese sauce. Its also a great fridge cleaner. This is how I make mine.

dice onion and fry with some garlic in oil till tender
(meat option) brown in some mince (ground beef) or whatever kind of minced meat you like
chuck in some sliced mushrooms, capsicum(peppers), carrots, like I said, its a great fridge cleaner :)
salt + pepper to taste (sometimes I'll put in chilli flakes if I feel like it)
I put in a tin of chopped tomatoes, but you can put in tinned tomatoes and just squash them around
water + tomato paste until its the right thickness
I LOVE to put in some sliced kalamata olives at this stage
basil, oregano, whatever herbs you want. Oregano is pretty important tho

simmer for about 15minutes or so. Watch that it doesn't get too dry, stir occassionally

You can put this on pasta, rice, whatever. Up a bit on this page I have it cooked in with some meatballs. Its just a great simple sauce.

Cheers mate, that sounds similar to one I've cooked for her before but has a few things I will have to try.

TheProDaniel said:

What about some sauteed veggies(onion, bell pepper, sprouts, mushrooms, etc) with noodle or rice? Get a bottled, asian inspired sauce, add a little bit, and you have some good eats. Quick, easy, and loads of flavor.

santouras

I was going to document and make up one of my favourite vegetarian dishes tonight but when I wandered past the fish department all I could think of was abstract aliens salmon so I had to get that instead :(

I'll make it up sometime this week and post the results tho :)

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
santouras said:
thanks :) I needed to cook the salmon a little bit more but thats lack of experience for you, first time cooking salmon steaks

It's easier to cook salmon in the oven. If the salmon's too thick, it'll likely stay raw on the inside if you just fry it.

Jefklak

I had champignon leftovers from pizza night but didn't know what to do with them. Tried something and something more (a bunch of tips I've read mixed actually) and it turns out to be sooo good, I was actually surprised the sauce tasted that good!

Sauté an onion, add champignons, salt, pepper, until browned and a little decreased in size. Add parsely, milk, chicken bouillon, thyme and roux. Special ingredient as last: parmezan cheese! Sooo good.

Edit: I love Chef jean-pierre's videos! :lol

16m0emo.jpg

Edit2: looks like vomit :lol

Zyzyxxz

Jefklak said:
I had champignon leftovers from pizza night but didn't know what to do with them. Tried something and something more (a bunch of tips I've read mixed actually) and it turns out to be sooo good, I was actually surprised the sauce tasted that good!

Sauté an onion, add champignons, salt, pepper, until browned and a little decreased in size. Add parsely, milk, chicken bouillon, thyme and roux. Special ingredient as last: parmezan cheese! Sooo good.

16m0emo.jpg

Edit2: looks like vomit :lol

Are you french or do you normally call mushrooms, champignons? Either way it looks like it goes well with steak, damn I've been having steak cravings for weeks. I'll wait till I get my DSLR so I can snap a good one.

Zyzyxxz

Jefklak said:

http://i43.tinypic.com/16m0emo.jpg[IMG]

Edit2: looks like vomit :lol[/QUOTE]

Are you french or do you normally call mushrooms, champignons? Either way it looks like it goes well with steak, damn I've been having steak cravings for weeks. I'll wait till I get my DSLR so I can snap a good one.

lunch, typical Cantonese claypot rice.

too lazy to snap a new pic so I'll just reuse an old one.
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/3124993896_47f6e440c2.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:

lunch, typical Cantonese claypot rice.

too lazy to snap a new pic so I'll just reuse an old one.
3124993896_47f6e440c2.jpg
They are also called "Champignons" in German btw.
The claypot rice looks drop dead gorgeous, I was already fond of it the first time you posted it.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
They are also called "Champignons" in German btw.
The claypot rice looks drop dead gorgeous, I was already fond of it the first time you posted it.

Hmm, I didn't know that. Didn't think it sounded like a German word, then again I dont have much exposure to the language.

Also that claypot has been in my family for almost two decades, my father use to cook his work lunches in it, I don't know if claypots season at all but if they do that pot sure as hell better be.

Jefklak

I'm Flemish, a "mushroom" (paddenstoel) is just used as a general term here, local "normal" fresh mushrooms (no forest, shii-take, ...) are called champignons. Sorry for the confusion!

Reminds me of "ZAKJE" comedy sketch (Print "bon"? ah oui champinon? bon! :lol )

Zyzyxxz

abstract alien said:
DAMN!!!! That looks F'in great Zyzyxxz! Its like you can see the damn flavor in there, very nice!

I dont really consider my cooking skills to specialize in anything but if there is something I can do right its claypot rice.

santouras said:
that claypot looks incredible

nearly 2 decades, that thing has seen the fire plenty of times. If you ever go to a restaurant that serves this, try getting something with dried/preserved duck, think of it as Chinese duck prosciutto.

it's salty and bad for you but hell if I care, once in a while won't hurt! It looks like the light pink meat in this photo I took a while back.
2929269489_e3ae13c2d1_b.jpg

What type of prep do you do to cook with it? Is there a certain type of oil that has to be used for best results? Is it nonstick? I'm completely ignorant when it comes to claypot cooking, and claypots in general.
santouras said:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t150/Stebene/homerdrool.gif
we need a drool emoticon just for this thread
Thread exclusive emoticons ftw.

Yeah, I'm really interested in claypot techniques or recipes, too. I bought one a while ago (was only like $6 at an Asian market) but haven't really made anything with it other than a first go of rice to "seal" it as per the instructions, and some braised asparagus, both times in the oven. Are they safe to use on electric ranges if you heat them up slowly?

Zyzyxxz

slidewinder said:
Yeah, I'm really interested in claypot techniques or recipes, too. I bought one a while ago (was only like $6 at an Asian market) but haven't really made anything with it other than a first go of rice to "seal" it as per the instructions, and some braised asparagus, both times in the oven. Are they safe to use on electric ranges if you heat them up slowly?

I don't think any electrical current goes through the metal so it should be safe.

abstract alien said:
What type of prep do you do to cook with it? Is there a certain type of oil that has to be used for best results? Is it nonstick? I completely ignorant when it comes to claypot cooking, and claypots in general.

No oil required at all. They aren't nonstick and stuff will get burned onto it if not careful.

There isn't much prepwork other than having to cut up everything before hand. The only tricky part is working on timing and temperature control.

Basically it goes down like this:

1)wash rice, drain, cover with water again, I usually do 1 cup rice with 1-1.25 cups of water.
2) set heat to high, once water begins to boiling and while the rice is still hard, take a spoon and mix around the rice so the bottom and top rice get evenly distributed, this ensures that the bottom rice won't burn into a black crisp
3) after doing that set to medium heat for a few minutes to get the water boiling again while avoiding burning the bottom.
4) after a few minutes the water level should be even with the rice or mostly absorbed, at this point you add your meat/veggies
5) after adding toppings set to low heat and you can take it easy from here on out, usually heat it up on my powerful burner and then transfer to low on my least powerful burner. Probably 10 minutes on Low to get the rice soft and the meat cooked.

Large chunks of meat dont work well so cutting into 1 inch. max chunks is best. There are many variations of topppings and I'll probably make some in the coming days since all this claypot talk has gotten me in the mood for some again.

Zyzyxxz said:
I don't think any electrical current goes through the metal so it should be safe.

No oil required at all. They aren't nonstick and stuff will get burned onto it if not careful.

There isn't much prepwork other than having to cut up everything before hand. The only tricky part is working on timing and temperature control.

1)wash rice, drain, cover with water again, I usually do 1 cup rice with 1-1.25 cups of water.
2) set heat to high, once water begins to boiling and while the rice is still hard, take a spoon and mix around the rice so the bottom and top rice get evenly distributed, this ensures that the bottom rice won't burn into a black crisp
3) after doing that set to medium heat for a few minutes to get the water boiling again while avoiding burning the bottom.
4) after a few minutes the water level should be even with the rice or mostly absorbed, at this point you add your meat/veggies
5) after adding toppings set to low heat and you can take it easy from here on out, usually heat it up on my powerful burner and then transfer to low on my least powerful burner. Probably 10 minutes on Low to get the rice soft and the meat cooked.

Large chunks of meat dont work well so cutting into 1 inch. max chunks is best. There are many variations of topppings and I'll probably make some in the coming days since all this claypot talk has gotten me in the mood for some again.
Definitely not something you should walk away from while cooking it seems. With such a wonderful looking dish, you really have me wanting one.

santouras

alrighty, there was talk about vegetarian dishes, so here is one of mine. Its sort of a mediterranean pasta salad, but dunno what the actual name would be :D

get some pasta cooking. slice up capsicum and mushrooms
DSCN1419.JPG

heat up some oil and put in peppita's. They don't take long to cook and are very easy to burn. Stir constantly, CONSTANTLY, to distribute them and also to prevent them popping too much and launching themselves out of the pan
DSCN1420.JPG

when they're cooked they should look like this. remove and put on a plate aside
DSCN1421.JPG

in the same pan, fry up the capsicum, mushrooms, olives and sun dried tomatoes. Season to taste
DSCN1422.JPG

drain the pasta, mix through the frying vegies, the peppitas, some feta and also some tomato based pesto. You can stir this on a heat if you need to get the peppitas warm again and/or want to melt the cheese or get the pesto up to heat.

plate and eat. doesn't look too pleasant but tastes sensational! Is also great as leftovers and warmed up the next day :D

DSCN1423.JPG

Zyzyxxz said:

Weird, your way of cooking rice in the claypot is so different from mine. Maybe it's because you have a glazed one and I don't? I also have to soak the claypot for an hour beforehand because I'm paranoid of it cracking if I don't. I usually cook rice like this:

1. Put rice in with the appropriate amount of water (1:1 or 1:1.25)
2. Cover and put on stove on medium low for 5 minutes. From here on, don't open the cover.
3. Turn the heat up to medium until the water inside starts boiling. How can you tell if the water is boiling without opening it? You can either hear it, or see steam coming out of the top hole.
4. Turn heat down to medium low for another 5 minutes.
5. Turn heat off completely and leave covered for 20 minutes.

By step 5, I assume the steam in the pot cooks the rice because after 20 minutes, I open the top and am greeted with fluffy, cooked rice. The important part is DON'T OPEN THE COVER before it's ready. One time my mom opened it for a peak and ruined the entire pot of rice.

I haven't been cooking much since moving to a new place. Still trying to get the whole area neat before cooking, but I did make some aioli after being inspired by this thread. You guys were right, it's super easy.

3484078888_f7a15600fc_m.jpg

Pounding the garlic with some coarse salt.

3484078998_8d71acb0f3.jpg

a dollop of aioli with steamed asparagus and leftover vegan mac & cheeze

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Weird, your way of cooking rice in the claypot is so different from mine. Maybe it's because you have a glazed one and I don't? I also have to soak the claypot for an hour beforehand because I'm paranoid of it cracking if I don't. I usually cook rice like this:

2. Cover and put on stove on medium low for 5 minutes. From here on, don't open the cover.
3. Turn the heat up to medium until the water inside starts boiling. How can you tell if the water is boiling without opening it? You can either hear it, or see steam coming out of the top hole.

By step 5, I assume the steam in the pot cooks the rice because after 20 minutes, I open the top and am greeted with fluffy, cooked rice. The important part is DON'T OPEN THE COVER before it's ready. One time my mom opened it for a peak and ruined the entire pot of rice.

It's something I picked up from my mother and modified to my liking, I usually dont like the bottom rice to be browned too much but it still turns out crispy.

luoapp

nakedsushi said:

For all that, I will give you two words: Rice Cooker.

Zyzyxxz

luoapp said:

A rice cooker is just about as much trouble and the texture it gives rice is different as well.

Claypots may not be practical everyday but they have their place.

Sorry for the terrible quality photo, couldn't find a decent camera.

Anyway, my Mum made this for me just before I got back to Uni.

5o5kxw.jpg

Chicken wrapped in Parma ham, filled with spinach and ricotta, marinated in a (i think) kinda tomato-red wine-type sauce with garlic potatoes and runner beans. The photo makes it look too greasy, but it wasn't.

I can't remember the full recipe, I could get it off her if any of you want it, it was really great.

luoapp said:

I do have a rice cooker which I use for every-day white rice, but Zyzyxxz is right that claypots give a different taste and texture. It actually doesn't take that much longer. You just have to watch it for the first 10 minutes.

CTLance

Yep, summer. Wonderful time of the year. Eat fruit (thanks, Zyzyxxz!). Grill meats. Wear swimsuits/revealing clothing. Feel fat. ... wait. Now I remember: I hate summer.

Hence, on a rainy Wednesday evening CTLance cried bloody tears of envy into this:
2j1kimf.jpg

...while reading through this thread.

Being on a diet makes this thread 264.81% more cruel. Especially the stuff with meat looks so incredibly delicious right now. :lol

Zyzyxxz

CTLance said:
Yep, summer. Wonderful time of the year. Eat fruit (thanks, Zyzyxxz!). Grill meats. Wear swimsuits/revealing clothing. Feel fat. ... wait. Now I remember: I hate summer.

Being on a diet makes this thread 264.81% more cruel. Especially the stuff with meat looks so incredibly delicious right now. :lol

wait, what did I do?

Anyway there's plenty of healthy food you can eat on a diet that looks delicious too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom