• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
inspired by recent iceberg wedge appreciation thread, i'd go with something like that. i just get a head of iceberg, cut it in 1/4s, top it with some homemade bleu cheese dressing, chopped cherry tomatoes, and some chopped green onions. season with some sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

as far as salads go, i think applying the simpler is better mentality, in this case, works wonders.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Happy Easter, everybody!

Here's the Burger pics from yesterday.
As a twist, I used lamb's lettuce for the greener side of things. Worked out wonderful, strong recommendation for a really subtle taste!

P1040648Large.jpg

P1040650Large.jpg

Enjoy.

Wollan

Bought myself a Bislett (franchise name) Kebab not long ago here in Oslo.

bislett_kebab.jpg

Awesomesauce
It's actually a pretty heavy mass of meat (even the small one which is pictured) wrapped in pita bread.
I had taken a few bites out of this one before I took the image so the white/red pattern is slightly spoiled.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
first time having BIBIMBAP last night. like a big awesome mess of korean (thx grey fox) goodness in a stone bowl; the bottom of the rice also got sort of crispy against the hot stone bowl, not unlike a good paella. popping the fried egg and letting the yolk run down over everything was one of the most stunning pieces of culinary eye candy i've had in a long while

for those unfamiliar, behold, the mighty BIBIMBAP

2w3ss1z.jpg

gray_fox224

beelzebozo said:
first time having BIBIMBAP last night. like a big awesome mess of chinese goodness in a stone bowl; the bottom of the rice also got sort of crispy against the hot stone bowl, not unlike a good paella. popping the fried egg and letting the yolk run down over everything was one of the most stunning pieces of culinary eye candy i've had in a long while

for those unfamiliar, behold, the mighty BIBIMBAP

2w3ss1z.jpg

Korean.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
sorry, i see rice, bean sprouts, and all that sort of stuff, and i think chinese. fixed.

apologies!

it was great though, whichever culture delivered it.

farnham

Banned
my personal tip for bibimbap

put in a can of tuna instead of meat

and a drop of ketchup (alongside with a little bit of pepper paste)

its damn good.. (i like the traditional style as well though)

its easy to make since you only need some boiled rice some vegetables (or salad) and some sesame oil

I hate this thread.. I can't stop reading it but I had to have all my teeth pulled a week ago and it will be a fucking year until I have my full mouth implants in so I can eat normally =\... Getting sick of soup, spaghetti and mashed potatos.. =\ Want steak.. =\ /cry

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Currently making some epic Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Blue Cheese.
2583qxh.jpg

I made a lamb stew (lamb, potatoes, onion, red wine, thyme, garlic, parsley) and macaroni and cheese with crispy fried ham on top (then more cheese on top of that...healthy I know...). :D

2997_579381408458_60710639_34203976_3036537_n.jpg

2997_579381413448_60710639_34203977_3914665_n.jpg

Also made steak and sausages for my mom and dad because they don't like lamb. :-\

I got my camera back! Dolmathes are long gone now though... :(

EDIT - Forgot we also had tea eggs today:
2997_579397032148_60710639_34204534_2525432_n.jpg

2997_579397037138_60710639_34204535_797507_n.jpg

dejay

Banned
CrystalGemini: Those tea eggs look kinda gross.

I've been reading through this thread for a about four days now - still up to page 23 of 93 (October 2007!)

Anyway, I made pasta dough for the very first time tonight. I made lasagne out of it, since I don't have a pasta machine rolling the dough into flat round sheets with a rolling ping to fit in the baking dish was the perfect option for a first attempt. Turned out yummy too, can't wait to make a fettuccine from scratch, or maybe some ravioli or something.

I tried the method shown HERE to mix the ingredients, but I wasn't too careful with my wall and I got a leakage of egg on the counter top :) Still, it turned out ok. I'm determined to do better next time - the idea of mixing a dough without a bowl fascinates me and also means less washing up.

justjohn

i'm going to get myself a pen and paper and go through every single page writing down the most interesting recipes.:D this thread is awesome

justjohn said:
i'm going to get myself a pen and paper and go through every single page writing down the most interesting recipes.:D this thread is awesome
cristinabassobikini8317.gif

Awesome+1 ^^

Question about the tea eggs: what the hell are tea eggs? Assumption: eggs hardboiled in tea instead of just plain water?

dejay said:
CrystalGemini: Those tea eggs look kinda gross.

Definitely not for everybody. :lol The flavor is actually quite subtle - like very light tea and soy sauce.

Winterblink said:
Question about the tea eggs: what the hell are tea eggs? Assumption: eggs hardboiled in tea instead of just plain water?

They are softboiled eggs, cracked (to let the tea and dark soy sauce seep into the egg), reboiled and left to absorb the tea and soy sauce broth overnight (or two nights) in the refrigerator. They are generally eaten cold or at room temperature.

Just finished making red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese sauce and walnuts:

My brother has a thing for cupcake 'tops' so I thought I'd have fun with the bottom half.
2997_579407935298_60710639_34204755_6040252_n.jpg

dejay

Banned
CrystalGemini said:
Definitely not for everybody. :lol The flavor is actually quite subtle - like very light tea and soy sauce.

They are softboiled eggs, cracked (to let the tea and dark soy sauce seep into the egg), reboiled and left to absorb the tea and soy sauce broth overnight (or two nights) in the refrigerator. They are generally eaten cold or at room temperature.

That sounds pretty nifty actually - I assume it's a herbal tea and not "black" tea? If only they didn't look so much like lambs brains (I'll generally try anything twice, but I won't try that again after the first time).

CTLance

I was away in the boondocks for the last four days and experienced everything from the annual family crisis down to rapid weight gain due to massive amounts of criminally delicious food.

It was pretty awesome, and since I still don't own a working digicam I can only offer mobile phone pics - I didn't even think of that until the last day, so consider the pics below to be the paltry left-over brunch buffet for only ten or so people.

25smlwi.jpg

(Closeups: 1 2 3 )
There's a multitude of different foodstuffs on this, noodle/potato salad, homemade cheese in oil, homemade garlic butter, Tzatziki/Cacık-lookalikes, Obatzda and other unknown substances that at one stage in their life were made from curd cheese and/or other dairy products, smoked salmon, smoked trout, smoked catfish, anchovies with raw onion pieces, a special kind of ham only eaten on easter, and a bunch of other meatbased toppings, a nice selection of dips and other garnish stuff - and of course eggs. Oh how I loathe them now.

I didn't think of snapping a pic of the grilled food, so add a bunch of grilled chicken, lamb, pig, and what-have-you slices to the mix. Basically everything that wasn't fast or smart enough ended up sizzling on our grill. It was glorious.
(Don't worry, the dog was not harmed; quite the opposite, really. Both dog and master could stand to lose some weight after this exercise... *pinches fat*)

A free combination of any of the above was put on a nice selection of bread:
vo02h2.jpg

2cdakxd.jpg

I want to devote special attention to these, a loveable idea. Mini-buns baked in a way that they stick together. Easy to rip apart in any size or shape you like, and each sprinkled with something different, from cheese to poppy to sesame to... Apparently this is old news, but I had never eaten them this way before - separated, yes, but never in clusters. Neat idea.

I set down a dish full of honeydew melon slices topped with ham, whipped out my mobile phone, entered camera mode, and...
jpwqq1.jpg

My family is a bunch of sneaky bastards when it comes to food... at least I managed to snatch a slice for myself. Barely.

This one never gets old, and it's so easy to prepare:
alp9c3.jpg

Mmmmmmozzarella.

Anyway, happy easter holidays.
296mbz9.jpg

11971us.jpg

Oooooh yeah. I think my heart just skipped a beat.

dejay said:
That sounds pretty nifty actually - I assume it's a herbal tea and not "black" tea? If only they didn't look so much like lambs brains (I'll generally try anything twice, but I won't try that again after the first time).

Yeah, once you can get past how it looks they are really delicious. We used pu-erh, but you can use any tea. It's really a personal preference - get something you enjoy. No tea bags though.

Zyzyxxz

wow everyone has such good looking Easter food!

I being, Chinese, don't celebrate it and thus nothing special went down for me.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Jtwo, CrystalGemini, LRB1983 and CTLance, thanks for sharing!
justjohn, Winterblink and dejay, thanks for the props on behalf of everyone contributing in here.
beelzebozo said:
i am not religious but i use any excuse to make a huge meal
THAT'S THE SPIRIT!
:lol

Zyzyxxz said:
wow everyone has such good looking Easter food!

I being, Chinese, don't celebrate it and thus nothing special went down for me.

What kind of Chinese person doesn't take advantage of any type of make-delicious-food holiday? We try to celebrate any holiday that involves food.

But not this year b/c I had to move boxes on Sunday =(

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
What kind of Chinese person doesn't take advantage of any type of make-delicious-food holiday? We try to celebrate any holiday that involves food.

But not this year b/c I had to move boxes on Sunday =(

actually I'm never really aware when its easter since nobody around me celebrates it. I did have a BBQ on saturday though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i love this quote, as it sums up my feelings on eating, and the fact that to eat is not just 'to consume':

"what is more important than the meal? isn't all of civilization apparent in these careful preparations, which consecrate the spirit's triumph over a raging appetite?"

Samara

HPIM2776-1.jpg

Simple salmon on top of couscous and some salad. While looking for the picture, I took some of my mother's disgusting chicken fingers...literally, not the pretty kind :lol
Newtellla

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
spicy chicken pitas with cabbage, carrots, red onion, tomato, and lemon-garlic aioli. also some great multigrain crackers and some blue cheese (not pictured)

35i4wzq.jpg

We now tune in to IronGaf LIVE. :)

The effort is currently in progress: Tandoori Roasted Vegetables.

1. The Players
3443356154_deef67c2dc.jpg

2. Washed and ready
3442539537_a14beccf4d.jpg

3. Ingredients for drizzling over veggies
3443357136_8c162bb4f2.jpg

4. Mixed, and dribbled over ingredients
3443358188_6d5f3daea5.jpg

5. Out of the oven!
3443440316_0aabf87c8b.jpg

6. In the bowl
3443440944_d5910bbb23_b.jpg

Paired with some Yellowtail sauvignon blanc, probably not the best pairing but I had half a bottle leftover... waste not want not. :) Anyway, the food tastes really great. Quick and easy Indian food, woo!

Saya

Ordered some food the other day.

2uixekp.jpg

Pangsit goreng.

2z3vpl3.jpg

Mie goren special with beef, chicken, shrimp, egg and kangkung (aka morning glory).

Yes Boss!

nakedsushi said:
Wow, how hard is it to make aioli from scratch? Do I have to have lightning-quick hands with the egg beater?

You can just use a small robo-coup. If you've just got a bowl and elbow-grease then consider using two or even three whisks together at the same time...should emulsify in no time.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
indeed. i just use my food processor to make aioli and mayonnaise, and it works like a charm every time. i used some of that aioli as the base for a dressing for a big salad i ate, too, and it was just fantastic.

my days of store-bought mayonnaise and salad dressing are over.

Zyzyxxz

suffah said:
Zyzyxxz,

You need to take me around to some good Taiwanese eats in your neighborhood some time.

are you local? I need a local food buddy. Most of my friends are entirely not adventurous when it comes to food.

I've never tried all the local Taiwanese places, mostly because I don't speak Mandarin and sometimes its discouraging depending on how traditional the place is.

Tf53

I found some ramekins for €1,50 a pop, chocolate fondant galore coming up as soon as I have enough time to go buy some eggs. \o/

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
very fine dishes on the last page, thanks to everybody who shared.
I went a bit overboard yesterday and paired BBQ sausages with fried eggs and velveeta. Just felt like it...:lol

dejay

Banned
I had chicken vindaloo tonight. The sauce came from a can, but I did add the secret ingredient to the curry - potato chips crumbled across the top of the curry (chips from a packet, not hot chips). I don't know where the tradition came from, but my family has been doing it since before I can remember.

OnkelC said:
very fine dishes on the last page, thanks to everybody who shared.
I went a bit overboard yesterday and paired BBQ sausages with fried eggs and velveeta. Just felt like it...:lol

According to Wikipedia, Velveeta is sold here as "Kraft Cheddar Cheese", which I know well. Sounds like a good midnight snack for when you've had a few drinks.

Speaking of which, a bacon, fried egg and chilli sauce sandwich (or sarnie) is the ultimate midnight fry up. The bread has to be pure, soft white - none of this rye or wholemeal nonsense when it comes to this recipe. Don't butter the bread and the egg yolk has to be runny so it runs over your fingers and onto the plate.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
pizza with green peppers, onion, pepperoni, and provolone:

16o1ox.jpg

and here it is on the plate with some roast broccoli (volumetrics, kids!)

30wp2lv.jpg

Zyzyxxz

gawd that pizza makes me wish my father would hurry up and finish up the second kitchen in our house....

Most Chinese homes don't require a kitchen since we'd never use it and thus my father never designed our first kitchen for one.

beelzebozo said:
indeed. i just use my food processor to make aioli and mayonnaise, and it works like a charm every time. i used some of that aioli as the base for a dressing for a big salad i ate, too, and it was just fantastic.

my days of store-bought mayonnaise and salad dressing are over.
Hellman's/Bestsfood's Brand is pretty good, IMHO. But homemade is awesome. But for sandwiches I prefer the texture of Hellman's. Everything else homemade rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom