• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is everyone enjoying their squash spice lattes? And their butternut squash pie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pumpkin puree is not pumpkin. It’s squash.

Pumpkin puree: You know, the canned orange stuff that’s lining the supermarket walls right now? The stuff you use to make all your favorite fall desserts that’s labeled “100% pumpkin”?! Yes, well, it’s actually made from 100% not pumpkin. The mix is made from a variety of winter squash (think butternut, Golden Delicious, Hubbard, and more). Libby’s, the brand that produces about 85% of the country’s canned “pumpkin” filling, has actually developed a certain variety of squash that they grow, package, and distribute to supermarkets across the country–all the while fooling innocent, trusting consumers into believing they’re eating a pumpkin.

As it turns out, pumpkins can be fairly stringy and watery; certain varieties of winter squash make a richer, sweeter puree that works way better for packing the now-ambiguous flavor we all love into our favorite fall dishes. Additionally, the USDA is fairly lenient with gourd terminology in general, which is why it’s perfectly legal to label a food product as “pumpkin” when, in reality, it’s made from a different variety of squash. So it’s all good now that there’s an explanation, right? NO. It’s not.

What I’m telling you is, you’ve basically been eating butternut squash pie, squash bread, and drinking SQUASH FREAKING SPICE LATTES this entire time.

I had no idea. I had no idea corporations would just lie like that.

NjwBHDw.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Most pumpkin flavored stuff is just a spice mix to begin with.

cilonen

I didn't know it had a particular flavour. I figured it was mostly a neutral vehicle for cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar.

Still, I feel a little cheated.

Most pumpkin flavored stuff is just a spice mix to begin with.

Yeah, it's just the stuff that's used to spice pumpkin pie. The pumpkin spice backlash is so much more irritating than the supposed pumpkin spice obsession it lampoons. The only time I hear people talk about this stuff is to shit on it.

I mean, who are these people talking to? It's this weird pumpkin spice rage echo chamber.

I am a fan of many gourds, and "pumpkin" is still delicious so this is fine

As someone who has cooked pumpkin before, as well as butternut squash, this makes perfect sense

Zackat

I might go get a pumpkin spice latte to celebrate.

Publix makes some really good pumpkin muffins this time of year. They are damn good.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
At Thanksgiving, I always make my pumpkin pie out of actual pumpkin, so I guess I have for the most part avoided this until now thankfully.

Kerned

Banned
A few years ago I realized that butternut squash makes a much better "pumpkin" pie than pumpkin does, both in terms of flavor and texture. This is not surprising.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I didn't know it had a particular flavour. I figured it was mostly a neutral vehicle for cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar.

Still, I feel a little cheated.
It doesn't.

I make beer and have made pumpkin beer with real pumpkin, canned pumpkin and no pumpkin and it makes no difference. Pumpkin has a very neutral flavor itself.

soqquatto

got no issue with squash. just because the name is funny it does not mean it's not a legitimate food that can taste nice.

my real issue here is with pumpkin spice latte: finally tried it after all the hoopla and it just tastes bad. whatever the ingredients, it's just stuff that's not worth anything.

riotous

Banned
got no issue with squash. just because the name is funny it does not mean it's not a legitimate food that can taste nice.

my real issue here is with pumpkin spice latte: finally tried it after all the hoopla and it just tastes bad. whatever the ingredients, it's just stuff that's not worth anything.

lol... why do you have "an issue" with merely not liking a flavor.

I've known this for a long time. You also can't home can pumkin, but it freezes well. Most pumpkin and gourds store very well for a long time in a cool dark place.

There are a variety of pumpkins that are good for making pies, but they're not your typical orange carving pumpkins. I make fresh pies every year. None of the canned stuff for me.

The pumpkin spice backlash is so much more irritating than the supposed pumpkin spice obsession it lampoons. The only time I hear people talk about this stuff is to shit on it.

I mean, who are these people talking to? It's this weird pumpkin spice rage echo chamber.

This should be every response to any thread about the subject. Complaining about pumpkin spice seems memetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom