• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gears of War PC worth $25.00?

kiUNiT

as the title says is Gears of War PC worth $25.00? futurshop in Canada has it on for $25.00 this weeek. I loved the 360 version and wanted to know if the added content and mouse and KB control make it a better game. Also will my PC be able to run it in 1920x1080 with decent framerate? I have a Visiontec 3870, 4 gig ddr2@900 and A E4300 @ 3.2ghz.
So if anyone has played both versions is it worth another play though for $25.00 with KB and mouse?

Edit added a link http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10095419&catid=11126&logon=&langid=EN

Cheeto

You'll be fine on the framerate, $25 is a good price. But the online play isn't any better then the 360 version.

MidiSurf

Banned
I think it's worth it. The new content isn't that imperssive but graphics and controls makes the PC-version superior. Go for it.

kiUNiT

MidiSurf said:
I think it's worth it. The new content isn't that imperssive but graphics and controls makes the PC-version superior. Go for it.

Yea thats what I'm thinking too, I'm getting back into PC gaming. I got my 3870 in Jan and I just bought a 24" visiontek with a P-MVA screen so games look great compared to my old 19" CRT, and I want to add to my PC game que. Right now Iam a little burnt out from Crysis, stuck at the level where you fly the helicopter. so I'm looking for something else to play.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The new content is fine. Nothing amazing, but nothing crappy either--it fits with the rest of the game, and doesn't stick out. The controls and graphics are better too.

However, if you plan on playing multiplayer, stick with the 360 version. The PC version has very few servers available.

Cheeto

Chairman Yang said:
However, if you plan on playing multiplayer, stick with the 360 version. The PC version has very few servers available.
Meaning 0 servers available...it's all P2P like on Live.

What's the scalability like?

I have a dual core 6600, 4gb ram and a 512mb 7950gt.

I'd probably play at ~1000 x 780 res so what kind of performance should I expect? Would it be 360 quality or less?

Momar

aka Ryder
I've read on many places that it is extremely buggy as far as stuttering goes. I've heard stories of people with monster rigs running a constant 60fps, then getting frequent pauses. I suggest checking out the Epic forums beforehand to see if there have been any fixes.

Oreoleo

kiUNiT said:
as the title says is Gears of War PC worth $25.00? futurshop in Canada has it on for $25.00 this weeek. I loved the 360 version and wanted to know if the added content and mouse and KB control make it a better game. Also will my PC be able to run it in 1920x1080 with decent framerate? I have a Visiontec 3870, 4 gig ddr2@900 and A E4300 @ 3.2ghz.
So if anyone has played both versions is it worth another play though for $25.00 with KB and mouse?

Edit added a link http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10095419&catid=11126&logon=&langid=EN

Out of stock!

I have a barely used copy I'll be happy to sell you. PM if interested :D

Oreoleo

Ryder said:
I've read on many places that it is extremely buggy as far as stuttering goes. I've heard stories of people with monster rigs running a constant 60fps, then getting frequent pauses. I suggest checking out the Epic forums beforehand to see if there have been any fixes.

There was a bad stuttering problem at release but it was fixed with the first patch and runs literally twice as good as it did. There is still a very slight stutter whenever the next area of the map is loaded from the HDD, but it's no worse than it is in Bioshock.

I'll wait for it to be on Steam. Maybe by then I'll have a PC that can run it. :/ I really want to play it, but don't want to pay $350 for a console that's going to die on me within a year, and I can't justify spending $1000 on a PC right now. :(

Guy Legend

TheExodu5 said:
Only if you just plan on playing singleplayer. There's almost no-one online.

Really? That sucks....

The game still retails for $50 in the US. When it drops, I'll pick it up considering I've yet to play this game...

Echoes

I played it with a Logitech Chillstream controller and it was all good. The bad thing is: takes 12 Gb, and the installing process exceeds one hour. I'm not kidding.

aznpxdd

Guy Legend said:
Holy fuck, somebody please refute this.

10gb for me, and 30 minutes to install on my freakin' raptor. Its worth it though, the game looks damn nice maxed out on my E8400 and 8800GT.

Echoes

Guy Legend said:
Holy fuck, somebody please refute this.
I'm serious :( I remember when I got it, I was sleepy but thought 'ok, just a quick 10 minutes to see the performance on my rig'. I sat infront of the monitor for almost 70 minutes, just staring at the screen, wondering how did Epic let this pass through. I mean, come on, I installed Vista in under 40 minutes, could be less.

And yup:

gowhdd.jpg

BlizzyAzz

The only good thing about the extra chapter is the Burmak fight at the end which last for about 5 mins. Got a E2180 + 9600GT + 2gig RAM game runs smoothed maxed out, just as mentioned before when you enter a new area the load times cause a short stuttering.

By the way, if anyone wants this and isn't too particular about getting an absolutely mint condition (fully functional though, but it has a few superficial dings) disc, I can part with mine for $10+ shipping. I don't play it anymore, so it's better that it gets a new home than for it to sit her and grow mold.

kiUNiT

AltogetherAndrews said:
By the way, if anyone wants this and isn't too particular about getting an absolutely mint condition (fully functional though, but it has a few superficial dings) disc, I can part with mine for $10+ shipping. I don't play it anymore, so it's better that it gets a new home than for it to sit her and grow mold.

Wow that's a great deal.

Top Bottom