• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is RE 4 proper anamorphic 16:9 or matted 4:3?

I haven't been following the RE news out there and don't know if this was ever solved. I did a search of the forums and couldn't find any answers.

Culex

Banned
Warm Machine said:
I haven't been following the RE news out there and don't know if this was ever solved. I did a search of the forums and couldn't find any answers.

Pre Neo-GAF, there was a 10-page thread about this.

BuddyC

I can't prove it, but I'm confident that it's anamorphic 16:9. Come to think of it, they were all running on 16:9 displays at E3, and I think RE4 took up the entire screen..find some E3 pics and you'll have a definite answer. I do know for sure that DK: Jungle Beat stays at a matted 4:3.

tenchir

I think it is anamorphic 16:9. If you were to play it on 4:3, you would get widescreen with black bars on top and bottom.

I remember some people were arguing you lose picture by going 16:9......

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If it was 4:3, you would still have black bars on a 16:9 screen, wouldn't you? I think that's how Beyond Good & Evil does it. That game doesn't really use true widescreen

Burger

Easy way to tell is play it on a 4:3 tv and turn the in game brightness up. The truth will be in the seeing.

Wario64 said:
If it was 4:3, you would still have black bars on a 16:9 screen, wouldn't you? I think that's how Beyond Good & Evil does it. That game doesn't really use true widescreen

Yeah that is right.

GIR

Banned
Is RE 4 proper anamorphic 16:9 or matted 4:3?
If this is a game you are talking about what has anamorphic got to do with it? 16:9 it may be but anamorphic serves little purpose for a 16:9 video game.

ge-man

It's true anamorphic. I remember clearly hearing from Capcom that it would run full screen on a widescreen set.

ge-man

Progressive scan has been confirmed as well. I'm not sure about DPII, but Capcom is already going balls out on the presentation, so it would be an odd omission at this point.

Pang

Neo Member
Shamlessly taken from Gameinformers' world- exclusive Resident Evil 4 unveiling;
"A chansaw rips to life (in crystal-clear Dolby Digital Pro Logic II surround sound).."

According to them, Resident Evil 4 does in fact have DPII.

Pang said:
Shamlessly taken from Gameinformers' world- exclusive Resident Evil 4 unveiling;
"A chansaw rips to life (in crystal-clear Dolby Digital Pro Logic II surround sound).."

According to them, Resident Evil 4 does in fact have DPII.

Well, they are wrong. Is there such a thing as DDPLII?

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
GIR said:
If this is a game you are talking about what has anamorphic got to do with it? 16:9 it may be but anamorphic serves little purpose for a 16:9 video game.
It makes plenty of sense. The eFB in the GC isn't large enough to hold a frame in the widescreen format and the display controller is limited to 4:3 resolutions because of that. Moreover 4:3 sets will detect an anamorphic signal and squeeze it to display properly.

tenchir

God's Hand said:
Well, they are wrong. Is there such a thing as DDPLII?

I think he might have misquoted GI and meant DPLII. I personally think there's a good chance that DPLII will be implemented. The game designer wanted to go with 16:9 only to enhanced mood/gameplay, so why wouldn't they do the same with audio? Why bother taken advantage of widescreen TV if you aren't going to do the same with surround sound system? I'm pretty sure there are more people with surround sound system than people with widescreen TV.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i remember the RE guy (mikami?) saying that if you had a 16:9 TV it would be displayed fullscreen and if you had a 4:3 TV it would have those black strips on the top and bottom of the screen. Doesn't that mean it's "proper" 16:9?

Top Bottom