• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony creatively bankrupt?

Banjo64

cumsessed
None of those games were big sellers and most weren't considered above average. What is Legacy of Kain doing there?

I like those games but this is revisionist as heck!
We are video game enthusiasts.

Sony might be making more money with their new strategy but it doesn’t mean the hardcore have to be happy with their direction.

This is like saying ‘you can’t question Marvel, look at how much money they make’ to an ardent cinema fan.

It’s slop.

Unknown?

We are video game enthusiasts.

Sony might be making more money with their new strategy but it doesn’t mean the hardcore have to be happy with their direction.

This is like saying ‘you can’t question Marvel, look at how much money they make’ to an ardent cinema fan.

It’s slop.
Wut... The point about selling poorly is why they stopped, not that it matters to quality. As I pointed out, those games weren't considered masterpieces, they were just good or average.

OP is talking like they were Valve or Nintendo in the past. It was no where near being banger after banger.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I would gladly go back to 480p ps2-ps3 graphics if it means to get back all the creativity, variety and lower development cost we once had.

I couldn't care less about the latest, fancy graphical effects.

Edit : I don't believe the studios are creatively bankrupt but maybe they don't get green lighted as easy as before.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Kinda GIF

bundylove

No, at all. If you play recent games they released like Helldivers 2 or Stellar Blade, or watch trailers of upcoming games like Astro Bot or Death Stranding 2 you'll see that you're totally wrong.

Next question

Many people has been saying this since the '80s, while at the same time don't buy a single innovative game and put their money instead on stablished genres and IPs which are pretty much the same than many other ones.
I hope you see the problem in your comment

There is a legitimate point somewhere deep within this low effort, surface-level statement. Sony is most certainly not creatively bankrupt, but they are operating in a way that can make it look so due to their over-reliance on the "Sony formula". They hit on success with Uncharted and have been pushing these type of games ever since, to the near exclusion of the kinds of games they used to make in various genres. When you look at Uncharted, Last of Us, Horizon, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, etc. you can see the same formulaic experience. They are different flavors of ice cream, but ice cream nonetheless. And judging by the list of games, I think what OP is trying to say is they want italian ices, cookies, etc. from Sony's snack stand, like they used to. I agree with that sentiment, and would like to see greater variety from them - it's what attracted such a wide audience to begin with.

Sure, we still get the occasional exception like Returnal, Gran Turismo, and Astro Bot. But there are plenty of genres and different styles of games that Sony does not seem to be interested in creating anymore. At least not by their prestige first party studios. They are not creatively bankrupt, they are just far too risk averse to take the chance on smaller games like this - and that's exactly what Shawn Layden was getting at with his numerous comments about sustainability. The amount of time and money it takes to make a game like OP listed, with modern production values, is nearly impossible. Dev times are longer and teams are larger. Sony as an organization should take a look at smaller, budget games that are released more frequently at $40 or $50 and that are different enough to encourage people to play them instead of all these me-too copies of better games people have already played or that are derivative of existing games (like how GOWR was received).

bundylove

nah they just take some more from nintendo... like with GOW... making play like Zelda OOT or astrobot ripping off all 3d mario gameplay mechanics ever made. Sony still has a lot to rip off from nintendo.

they will be fine as long as nintendo keeps innovating gameplay.

:messenger_sunglasses:
I can bring the receipts what nintendo stole from sony .
Psmove was way before the wii for example

nial

Some of you are on repeat always giving the same answer in these threads. BUT BUT ASTRO BOT as if one game dismisses genuine concerns lmao.
Nah, Astro Bot feels like the worst nightmare of Sony doomposters. Concord being shit and mega bombing would have been the perfect scenario for some DOOOOOOMING, but then Astro Bot exists and ruins everything.
I wouldn't say it's only Astro Bot either, projects like Returnal, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Lost Soul Aside or Death Stranding give me a good reason to believe Sony's ability to keep pursuing stuff out of the norm.
Even LEGO Horizon feels like a return to form when they allowed weird spin-offs of their franchises to exist.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't think being creatively bankrupt is the issue. I think the platform holders are too risk averse to invest in genuinely creative ideas without reassurance that they'll be profitable. It's about the money first and the games second.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't think Sony is so much creatively bankrupt as just afraid of going bankrupt period.

They play it safe because when they make big games, they cost 100s of millions of dollars.

Having a game like that perform less than expected ends up being a huge risk that could affect future projects. It's why they are trying the whole live service thing. If they could come up with the next Fortnite it will fund other projects for years.

Typically the best Sony games could be considered "one and done" with no microtransactions, maybe a paid DLC here and there. So no continuous stream of revenue from a game like that. Because of this, they generally would need to bank on 3rd party offerings or insanely successful 1st party SP games to warrant the next big thing.

Far as I know, Naughty Dog is working on a new IP...I think one other studio is as well...maybe Sucker Punch? I'm not sure. But I think 2025 is gonna be where we start seeing what Sony has been working on all this time. Seems similar to what people say about Xbox...but those games end up being good but not mindblowingly fantastic. I expect more from Naughty Dog's new IP.

Dr. Suchong

Gold Member
Yes.
Everything is absolutely, depressingly dreadful, and we should all huddle together under a big blanket and sob.

Same can be said about Astro Bot lmao. Oh boy, a platformer, we havent seen those before huh? You just proved OP's point, that companies are indeed creatively bankrupt, but I highly doubt because we ran out of creative things. Cmon.
I just want someone on this site that has takes like this to please explain to me what has been 'innovative' over the past decade or so. You can pick apart ANY game and say how it's similar to things in the past. Arguably the two biggest games of this "gen" have been Elden ring, which is basically dark souls 4 and ToTK, which copies the same fucking map of the BoTW. Hell, if you really wanna try and find innovation, I think you could make a strong case that a game like returnal has been the best bet of that recently, as it brought roughlike to a AAAish format, when that was typically done by smaller indie titles in the past and that's a Sony first party title.

bundylove

And the move in 2004
Soryy wrong not the move but the move tech demo.
Then we had the ps eye in 2004 or 2005? Kinect anyone?

Ps2 had a modem for socom to play online in 2005.

Lots sony came out first on the console market.

Dual stick was sony first etc.

Sushi_Combo

I doubt the actual problem is GAAS… I think the devs may be the real problem throughout gaming.

What new SP IP’s has Sony released???
I highly doubt developers have the actual power to decide , these are executive level decisions being made.

I doubt the actual problem is GAAS… I think the devs may be the real problem throughout gaming.

What new SP IP’s has Sony released???
Returnal and Stellar blade are the only ones i can think of at the moment.

Also the dev's don't get to decide what to work on. The execs make that decision.

Last edited:

bundylove

He's talking about EyeToy.
Correct. But i was thinking the mive controllers they first demonstrated with eye toy.
But yeah sony came out with a lot of ideas others stole.

This notion that everyone stole from nintendo is old and wrong

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Once again, we’re talking 1-2 games in 1-2 years, at best. Even two amazing IPs pales in comparison to what Sony used to put out.
Back then games took less than half the time to develop and had much smaller dev teams. The cost relative to the potential return was much smaller. It sucks for gamers. We buy these relatively expensive boxes for exclusives and they collect dust for months and then need massive updates when a new game drops.

recursive

I’m not allowed to have an opinion unless I own a console? What kind of asinine perspective is that?
You can have an opinion but it is worthless. You don't even play any of the games. It is like commenting on cheeseburgers when all you eat is soy.

Obvious this post was to grab concord coat tails.

Calverz

Not at all. I’m sure it’ll make money, but in the same way F2P shovelware makes money on mobile. It’s not the company it used to be, nor does it develop the way it did.
Well I’m not one to ask. I feel like they changed massively going from ps1 to ps2. Showing my age.

Elfstar

They specialized themselves so much in their bread and butter ultra-mainstram cinamatic game type that now they aren't able to market anything but that, progressively alienating all their older fans from their hardware while only fostering their late Ps3-era Naughty Dog & Santa Monica crowd that only like that and not much more.

Last edited:
Well I’m not one to ask. I feel like they changed massively going from ps1 to ps2. Showing my age.

I think that’s fair to say. But they still oozed quality in their output. PS3 had a shaky start (PlayStation has no games memes) but turned around by 2009. I’d argue PS4 was good but near the end the decline began.

Top Bottom