• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the HTC Vive worth $500? If not, how should I upgrade my PC instead?

I'm at a bit of a crossroads here. I have some money I could spend (~$700) on fun computer stuff, but I'm not sure whether I should buy a Vive or upgrade my PC.

new-htc-vive-box-1.jpg

I am not interested in the Oculus Rift.

I found an HTC Vive on Reddit for $500 being sold by a reputable user. It's the newer version (smaller box, blue wrist straps, lighter headset, built-in 3-in-1 cable) and it was only used once for a work demonstration so it is in flawless condition and includes everything.

The only problem is that the HTC Vive's warranty is non-transferable, which means if I buy it, I won't have any coverage. I have heard horror stories of controllers and lighthouses breaking only a couple months into owning the Vive, and I really don't want to find myself regretting my decision to buy this thing because it breaks and there'd be nothing I could do about it.

I've also heard that LG is working on a high-end VR headset, but I'm not sure how soon that's supposed to be coming out.

What do you think, GAF?

If I don't buy one, I could instead spend the money upgrading my PC, although aside from adding an SSD, I'm not sure what the best use of my money would be.

Specs:

• Intel i5-4460 @ 3.2 GHz
  • Nvidia GTX 970
  • 8GB DDR3-1600
  • WD 1TB HDD
My monitor is a 21.5-inch 1080p60Hz IPS display from HP. I considered upgrading my processor since it's several generations old at this point, but a bunch of people told me that it wouldn't be worth it and that I should upgrade my GPU instead. The problem with that is, in order for me to see the full benefit of a GPU upgrade, I'd have to buy a new 1440p monitor as well, and I don't think $700 is enough for that.

The only thing I'm sure of is that I should get an SSD. I already have nice peripherals so I don't see any room for improvement there.

I know. But that $700 has to cover a GPU upgrade and a new monitor, as I said.

I would think a 970 would be fine for a 1440p monitor. GPU market is kind of unstable right now so I don't know if it's worth it for you to upgrade.

What games are you normally playing? That could help to see if a 1440p is worth it for you with your current set up.

A monitor is a lot longer lasting than a GPU so it's always worth it in my opinion.

Although the Vive is amazing, but playing games at 144fps with g-sync is equally as amazing.

oakenhild

and it was only used once for a work demonstration so it is in flawless condition and includes everything.

I always find this hard to believe. I'm guessing nearly every post on ebay says something similar for VR headsets.

I personally think buying a used VR headset is kind of gross. Having owned a rift for a while...there is a lot of sweat when using VR for room scale (they get hot). Might not be an issue for you though.

I'd still pass on a used VR headset, particularly as it's $100 more than a new competitively priced headset that you're not interested in that comes with a warranty and new models are surely to come out next year for steamvr.

I always find this hard to believe. I'm guessing nearly every post on ebay says something similar for VR headsets.

I personally think buying a used VR headset is kind of gross. Having owned a rift for a while...there is a lot of sweat when using VR for room scale (they get hot). Might not be an issue for you though.

I'd still pass on a used VR headset, particularly as it's $100 more than a new competitively priced headset that you're not interested in that comes with a warranty and new models are surely to come out next year.

Not the case actually, most people are honest about how much use it's been through.

As a Vive owner, the GPU and RAM you currently have makes it tough to recommend the Vive. I would hang on to the money and upgrade your GPU when the new Nvidia stuff is announced. Then with the money left over you can get a decent monitor or put money towards one.

oakenhild

Not the case actually, most people are honest about how much use it's been through.

How can you possibly tell? My rift is in near-mint condition and I've used it a lot. I'm not saying I would say it's barely used, but there's no way you could dispute it from an online posting.

Edit: That being said, this does have a newer box, as you mentioned, so maybe that's a +1 for it at least being newer.

Edit2: I also haven't looked in a while, so maybe eBay posts for VR headsets have changed.

I don't own a VR headset, but I have used the Oculus at a friend's house. With that said, I think upgrading your GPU would be a much better investment. A 970 won't get amazing performance for VR titles I'd think. Especially considering next gen headsets will likely launch later this year or next year.

No? Everything points to 2019.

Probably not anytime soon.

Isn't everything speculation at this point? Though I really don't see why they'd wait until 2019. 2018 at the latest I'd think.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Had a Vive and it was great but upgrading is probably the better option.

Also i think someone is selling their vive for the same price in the BST thread.

Honestly, you're kind of in a weird spot with your current spec & upgrade budget.

I think it'd make more sense to upgrade your PC. Your current setup just barely hits the minimum requirements for Vive. That, and Vive (and VR in general) is really still very much in early adopter phase. The resolution is too low, eye tracking hasn't been implemented, the headsets are still large & heavy, and the software library isn't there yet. I don't see any reason to jump in quite yet unless you're a true enthusiast, which judging by your somewhat outdated PC, you're not.

I'd use that $700 to get a GTX 1080, 16GB of the fastest DDR3 RAM you can afford, and a 256GB SSD. That should bring you to right around the $700 mark.

You'll be able to run every game max settings @ 1080p/60fps, and if you're feeling like there's power being wasted w/ your 1080p display, there's always super sampling to increase image clarity and reduce aliasing.

Then, whenever the next time comes up that you have spare cash, you can upgrade your monitor. Your CPU is getting long and tooth, but that'll be a pricey upgrade because you'll have to purchase a new motherboard and new RAM along with the CPU when the time comes. And as others have said, CPUs have advanced so gradually over the last several years, that your CPU is still more than capable.

I personally wouldn't be looking at VR for another 3 years or so. The tech will be much more mature by then, and you'll have a ton of games to choose from.

MaDKaT

Isn't everything speculation at this point? Though I really don't see why they'd wait until 2019. 2018 at the latest I'd think.

True, all speculation but currently no hints or even rumors of new sets. Well, headsets that are successors to Rift and Vive. LG is coming out with a new set but it will be a very minor upgrade. There are new Lighthouses being made and it is likely the new LG headset will use them. No word if HTC will be releasing a headset refresh to use them. Both Oculus and HTC do have new headsets coming out but they are slotted around Gear VR type sets. Nothing has indicated a v2.0. Again just speculation, but with the lack of rumors, it seems we are waiting on a few technologies to mature. Things like better screens, foveated rendering, GPU's and things to reduce costs.

To the OP

Computer is likely fine. I do think the Vive is worth it but it will certainly drive you to want to upgrade. So maybe upgrade first and then find a deal on VR

Honestly, you're kind of in a weird spot with your current spec & upgrade budget.

I think it'd make more sense to upgrade your PC. Your current setup just barely hits the minimum requirements for Vive. That, and Vive (and VR in general) is really still very much in early adopter phase. The resolution is too low, eye tracking hasn't been implemented, the headsets are still large & heavy, and the software library isn't there yet. I don't see any reason to jump in quite yet unless you're a true enthusiast, which judging by your somewhat outdated PC, you're not.

I'd use that $700 to get a GTX 1080, 16GB of the fastest DDR3 RAM you can afford, and a 256GB SSD. That should bring you to right around the $700 mark.

You'll be able to run every game max settings @ 1080p/60fps, and if you're feeling like there's power being wasted w/ your 1080p display, there's always super sampling to increase image clarity and reduce aliasing.

Then, whenever the next time comes up that you have spare cash, you can upgrade your monitor. Your CPU is getting long and tooth, but that'll be a pricey upgrade because you'll have to purchase a new motherboard and new RAM along with the CPU when the time comes. And as others have said, CPUs have advanced so gradually over the last several years, that your CPU is still more than capable.

I personally wouldn't be looking at VR for another 3 years or so. The tech will be much more mature by then, and you'll have a ton of games to choose from.

Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations for specific models of 1080, RAM, SSD?

Wallach

Just going by your specs I would invest into a new GPU first. Not only would that still provide benefit to you at 1080p (especially in terms of what settings you can hit and maintain 60 FPS) but it will also greatly improve your experience if you do get a VR headset later. The Gigabyte GTX 1080 is going for around $510-520 right now.

Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations for specific models of 1080, RAM, SSD?

You're welcome.

Here's what I'd recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($119.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($75.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($519.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $715.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-28 11:16 EDT-0400

It'd also be wise to make sure your motherboard is compatible with that speed of RAM.

You're welcome.

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($119.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($519.99 @ Newegg)

It'd also be wise to make sure your motherboard is compatible with that speed of RAM.

Thanks again! How many years do you think I'll be able to go before I need to upgrade my CPU and RAM?

I advocate monitor upgrades before VR - once you have a GSync/Freesync monitor capable of 144hz, then look to VR. Ultra wide at 1440p is also a viable option, but I consider it secondary because I don't have a personal affinity to 21:9.

LUXURY

Upgrade the pc. SSD, new monitor, new graphics card? All those are probably a better investment than the Vive.

Thanks again! How many years do you think I'll be able to go before I need to upgrade my CPU and RAM?

That's a tough question to answer. With the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro still having severely underpowered CPUs it could be another good 3-4 years before you would need to upgrade.

I'd say quite a few. I think it'd make sense to do a refresh once the next gen consoles have arrived (rumored to use Ryzen processors w/6+ cores). This is when we'll start seeing PC games really taking advantage of CPUs with high core counts. So... around 3 years? It really comes down to your tolerance for older hardware.

The CPU would definitely be holding you back a bit w/ your new hardware, even today, but not to such an extent that it'd be a big deal. I'd imagine you'd see a 25% improvement in gaming performance if you were to upgrade your CPU today, vs the close to 100% improvement you'll see going from a 970 to a 1080.

Just about any upgrade to your PC right now is better than dumping money into VR.

I'd also sit on your money for a month or two and wait for the next Intel chips are out/confirmed. Should be competitive with AMD upping the ante later.

Unless you have some game right now you need to upgrade for. It's almost always better to upgrade when you have a reason to rather than just buy whatever is on the market outside of a good deal.

The current exception being to this rule is graphics cards..1070's are like $100 more than what I bought them w/ a game included last fall.

karnage10

Banned
I'm a strategy player.
I'm highly interested in vive but IMO I'd upgrade the monitor/TV and get an SSD.
The monitor/TV is where you spend most of your time when you are on PC.
SSD would reduce loading times a lot.

I'd buy that and wait for a "vive 2".

TheExodu5

Banned
Your monitor is the most out of date component in your setup. The Vive is a great buy in that case, since it takes the monitor out of the equation.

Either buy the Vive or go for a GPU/monitor upgrade.

No, you don't need to go 27 1440p/IPS/G-Sync and spend $700.

You can get a nice 27" 1080p G-Sync 144Hz monitor for under $500. That wouldn't break the bank and you wouldn't need to worry about needing better hardware to push it. Or you can get a similar 24" monitor for ~$350. Then just sit tight and wait for the next gen of GPUs to upgrade. A nice 144Hz 24"+ monitor is going to be a massive upgrade from your current display.

1440p is great and all, but depending on the games you're playing, you need some serious GPU power to push 144Hz.

You're welcome.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10407968-g...657107&utm_campaign=tu4&src=da_si_v2_35001196

Save ~$60 on that 1080

The Vive is absolutely worth $500, especially if it's the newer model. 970 will still carry you for a while. Check to make sure your CPU is compatible, and there's a chance you might need to get an internal USB card to make sure bandwidth isn't split too thin, but otherwise I think you should be good. If you have money to spare, I'd recommend an SSD. I've had good experiences with the Samsungs personally. Get one at least big enough to hold a few games, and you can use something like Steam Mover to swap VR games on and off the SSD to minimize loading hiccups.

If you have any budget wiggle room after that, strongly consider a Vive Deluxe Audio strap. There's been some issues with the foam padding coming off on some, but I got to try it for for the first time the other day, and it makes putting on and taking off the Vive SO much easier.

Zen Aku

Op I have basically the same setup you do. GTX 970, but I don't have an i5-6600k and 8GB D4 RAM.

My HTC Vive works flawlessly on it. It's not the best graphic you can get with a 970. But it certainly is more than playable.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I use a 2500k and a 970 for my Vive and haven't had many issues. The experience is still pretty amazing and even though I'm at the lower end of VR rigs, it doesn't feel like a bullshit time like trying to play PC games with onboard graphics. I can't really turn up any supersampling but most of the games I've played still look and perform well.

That said, this won't be your last $700 and if you're willing to spend maybe like $1000 on a Vive setup with the new Steam controllers in a year or so, then upgrade your rig instead. Although this is also a weird graphics card time since the 11xx/20xx series cards are due out somewhat soon?

MrGerbils

Just find a friend who owns a Vive. That's what I usually tell my friends, don't buy one you can just use mine.

This is the way to go.

VR is fucking cool, and it is the real deal, but all of the experiences out there right now are very limited, and honestly I don't know if they'll get any better until we have fully untethered inside out tracking contained in a light headset.

Go and try it somewhere. Hopefully mess around with it for an hour or two. That's kinda all you need.

MaDKaT

This is the way to go.

VR is fucking cool, and it is the real deal, but all of the experiences out there right now are very limited, and honestly I don't know if they'll get any better until we have fully untethered inside out tracking contained in a light headset.

Go and try it somewhere. Hopefully mess around with it for an hour or two. That's kinda all you need.

The games and experiences are advancing at a phenomenal rate. Launch Vive owner, set it down for about 5 months, and between all the new stuff and Revive, im not sure ill catch up. It is ridiculous how much things have changed.

Still, upgrade pc. Then vr

That's a really good price for a basically new Vive, though. Buying that right now at such a steep discount opens up a lot of gaming possibilities immediately, even on a 970. 970 is fine for VR.

What's better, playing existing games at a higher resolution and FPS, or playing entirely new games you never could before? And having the ability to show it off to friends and family, and really wow them? It's really fun owning a VR device, seeing peoples' first time experiencing it. :)

$500 is almost what I'd expect when they start liquidating it as Vive 2 comes out. That's a great deal.

Spend it on PC upgrade at least your playing more than just wave shooters

You say the same shit in every single VR thread, either you've never even tried it or you tried it once when it first launched and haven't gone back since.

VR being mostly wave shooters was a problem at launch for like 2 weeks, now there are hundreds of different games available and I would know, I own 271 VR games on steam and less than 10% of them are wave shooters and that's with me being a huge wave shooter fan so i go out of my way to pick those up and they still only amount to a fraction of what's available in VR.

AS to the OP, you should absolutely jump in at that price, I bought a Vive and Rift and PSVR all at full price and seeing people get the Rift + Touch combo now and even deals on the PSVR doesn't make me upset that I paid more, it makes me happy that other people are finally able to see how awesome VR is while saving money that they can then put towards some new games :D

is a 970 really insufficient for VR if i've run the steamVR test and it said i was all set? i don't need supersampling to enjoy myself.

Samaritan

If you have the space for a proper room-scale setup, and can justify spending that much money, then it's absolutely worth $500. I'd say it's still worth the $800 I spent on it.

Top Bottom