• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there such a thing as GB soundtracks?

mumu

I know there wasn't really much music in GB games, however i'm looking for a particular tune from Super Mario Land. It was either the final boss fight or after that, i'm not sure right now. Anyone knows where i could get that tune? Do GB soundtracks or compilations exist?

Justin Bailey

------ ------
mumu said:
I know there wasn't really much music in GB games, however i'm looking for a particular tune from Super Mario Land. It was either the final boss fight or after that, i'm not sure right now. Anyone knows where i could get that tune? Do GB soundtracks or compilations exist?
You can try here: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gameboy/index-sz.html

They aren't rips from the game, but midis that people have made themselves.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Yes there are, and I'm rather sure there's a soundtrack featuring musc from Super Mario Land.

In fact, I'm pretty sure this is it -> Game Boy Music - G.S.M. Nintendo 2

Since it's been nearly a decade since I last played Super Mario Land, I'm not entirely sure that the track you're looking for is there, but if I had to guess, I'd say it features the full soundtrack to SML.

Your other option is hitting Zophar's Domain and getting a GBS player (or a plugin for Winamp) and the entire emulated sound rip of Super Mario Land. Considering that the file size will likely be a couple hundred kilobytes (if that), you're probably better off doing that.

explodet

A little off topic, but I nabbed some old Castlevania 2 Gameboy tunes and they're pretty solid.

Konami really knew what they were doing music-wise with what they were given.

explodet said:
A little off topic, but I nabbed some old Castlevania 2 Gameboy tunes and they're pretty solid.

Konami really knew what they were doing music-wise with what they were given.
Yes! That game has some of my favorite game music - let alone chiptunes - ever. Konami was responsible for some of the best music on the NES, too, but the Game Boy had stereo sound and a more sprightly PSG, making for tunes that sound better to me. Castlevania Adventure and Parodius have some classic stuff too.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Castlevania 2 and the original Final Fantasy Adventure on the old school Game Boy feature some of my favorite game music tracks of all time. In particular Ripe Seeds sticks out for Castlevania 2, and pretty much every single battle-related track on FF Adventure are outstanding.

One of the Donkey Kong games for original Gameboy ...

This one:
Donkey-Kong.jpg

I whistle the music to myself whenever I'm busy n happy to be doing work.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Some of the Castlevania GB tunes were FANTASTIC. I've heard a couple of remixes here and there on various arranged album.s Excellent stuff.

Nobuo Uematsu also did some truly amazing work with FF Legend 2.

Top Bottom