• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel destroys Palestinian classrooms ahead of first day of school

why does anyone support Israel anymore, after they've been doing stuff like this for how many decades now? they havent shown ANY willingness to chance.

it's ridiculous. they're the only state in the world that can openly commit warcrimes, annex land, endorse racism etc etc.. with zero repercussions or even real condemnation.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Pretty sure he's calling the people in the government garbage.

Also mind explaining why you generally support Israel's actions?

If I misconstrued his post, I would take it back and would request him to modify his post so that its clear what he is talking about. I hope he will reply about what he meant.

As far as why I support Israel generally, is because I believe in Israel's right ti exist and I have a sympathy towards Jewish people for all the sufferings they've gone through over the centuries and a state of their own ensures that it will not happen again. I also do believe that sometimes people are a lot harsher on Israel than they would be on other countries.
To be clear, as I wrote in my original post, it does not mean I dont see or say whatever wrong they do. The settlements and this business of destroying civilian infrastructure for no reason is wrong and should be stopped. I would like to see a 2 state solution being implemented and be done with.

PSlayer

As a Jew, this saddens me. I always have wondered why wouldn't the Israeli Government try to reach out a hand of help and meet in the middle.

I don't understand the hate I guess?

Because Israel want the Territory all for themselves.

Israel is the only country who can openly be against coexistence,integration and multiculturalism on "their" territory and nobody say or do anything because they fear sound anti-semite.

zbarron

Imagine if Trump gets voted into office 3 times in a row. You'd think that most people either support his actions, or don't care enougth to vote him out. The people that oppose the PM don't seem to make much effort showing that they do,

Is that why both parties of America support this? Sometimes the answer is just that they want more power and money.

Bibi got a full 23.40% of the vote. Stop being hateful and educate yourself.

Khal_B

Schools.

They took down schools.

Even at WAR there are things you don't do, and this is one of them. I hope that whoever authorized this has it weighing on their conscience so much that they're never able to find peace through it.

The Palestinians are just animals though, what were they even thinking having schools in the first place? - Friendly Neighborhood Zionist

jelly

Shameful. That government won't be happy until the people are cleansed and it's all Israel, considering their history is astounding.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Imagine if Trump gets voted into office 3 times in a row. You'd think that most people either support his actions, or don't care enougth to vote him out. The people that oppose the PM don't seem to make much effort showing that they do,

Isnt the second sentence like the same argument as 'Muslims not doing enough to show they they dont like terrorism'? When we can still say that 'not all Muslims are like that' etc., cant we say the same for Israelis. Was every US citizen garbage when Bush was elected twice? I would never hold such overall simplistic antagonistic view towards a big population, but hey, to each his own.

Bibi got a full 23.40% of the vote. Stop being hateful and educate yourself.

Well then, not even one fourth. What should I say more?

ECC

saying this kind of erases the massive power differential between the israeli and palestinian states

Sure it does - I don't think there is much historical evidence for power differential mattering beyond "the feels". I get it is not a popular message - but power differential doesn't really seem to actually matter for conflicts anywhere else in the world, so I fail to understand why It should matter here?

Dopus

Banned
If I misconstrued his post, I would take it back and would request him to modify his post so that its clear what he is talking about. I hope he will reply about what he meant.

As far as why I support Israel generally, is because I believe in Israel's right ti exist and I have a sympathy towards Jewish people for all the sufferings they've gone through over the centuries and a state of their own ensures that it will not happen again. I also do believe that sometimes people are a lot harsher on Israel than they would be on other countries.
To be clear, as I wrote in my original post, it does not mean I dont see or say whatever wrong they do. The settlements and this business of destroying civilian infrastructure for no reason is wrong and should be stopped. I would like to see a 2 state solution being implemented and be done with.

The issue is that Israel has no intention of finding a solution here. The international community has failed to apply adequate pressure on the state and the United States has effectively supported it with a light slap on the wrist every now and again. Israel exists, the argument now is about whether Palestine should exist. That's the issue that plagues Israel simply because they have no desire for it to become a reality. Is a two-state solution probable? Is it even possible? When you consider what has happened in the occupied territories, land seizures and the trampling of a beaten and broken people, the West Bank and what has happened to Gaza, the picture it paints is quite clear. When you said people are "a lot harsher on Israel than they would be on other countries", what exactly do you mean? It's quite literally an apartheid and one with the full backing of the most powerful country in the world.

aeolist

Banned
Sure it does - I don't think there is much historical evidence for power differential mattering beyond "the feels". I get it is not a popular message - but power differential doesn't really seem to actually matter for conflicts anywhere else in the world, so I fail to understand why It should matter here?

you just said that both sides do somewhat shitty things to accomplish political goals, how could it not matter that one side is basically in complete control of the situation? is a few rockets that hurt a cow coming out of gaza equivalent to israel cutting off the electricity to palestinian hospitals and bulldozing their schools?

jacobeid

Banned
Even better, The CHOSEN PEOPLE

Will you please stop with these posts that attack an entire religion that fail to bring anything of substance to the topic at hand? They serve no purpose other than to be hurtful.

In addition, this post makes it very clear that you don't even know what that means in the context of Judaism.

sirap

you just said that both sides do somewhat shitty things to accomplish political goals, how could it not matter that one side is basically in complete control of the situation? is a few rockets that hurt a cow coming out of gaza equivalent to israel cutting off the electricity to palestinian hospitals and bulldozing their schools?

Don't forget water.

Fucking water.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Yep - the UN is largely useless in the Israeli - Palestinian conflict. This is a fact the UN managed to make abundantly clear to Israel prior to the 1967 war where they turned out to be rather useless (Nasser just had to send them a letter to make them go away). Since then Israel has had little evidence that UN would ever be useful from a military/peace keeping POV.

Yup. There are certain nations for which the U.N. has practically no say over due to them being client states of one of the permanant members of the security council.

ECC

I understand what you are saying - but I can really not recall much data that supports that it matters in reality. Sure, it matters to you or to a devoted few who gets to feel like they support "the underdog" - but practically, I can not really recall many cases where it turns out it matters? But maybe im wrong - feel free to throw real life examples/cases at me that illustrates how it matters beyond "the feels".

aeolist

Banned

so here's a map of the west bank as of 2011

image.adapt.990.high.West_Bank_Map_ocha.1404855022290.jpg

e. forgot to note that the darker areas are a combination of settlements and areas off-limits to palestinians

also take into account that gaza is at this point basically unfit for human existence and if the situation isn't massively improved in the next few years the people there will start dying en masse.

taking these things into consideration, how exactly is a 2-state solution supposed to work? israel controls palestine completely, what little they didn't annex decades ago is more or less colonized and/or obliterated. there is no place for a palestinian state to exist.

the 2 state solution is a feel-good talking point for politicians who want the status quo to persist. the reality on the ground is that we will either have a one-state solution where palestinians are given full voting and citizenship rights in the country that has de facto political control over them (israel) or there will be some combination of genocide and refugee relocation out of the country.

Oberon

Banned
Isnt the second sentence like the same argument as 'Muslims not doing enough to show they they dont like terrorism'? When we can still say that 'not all Muslims are like that' etc., cant we say the same for Israelis. Was every US citizen garbage when Bush was elected twice? I would never hold such overall simplistic antagonistic view towards a big population, but hey, to each his own.

Well then, not even one fourth. What should I say more?

Actually, you are right. I posted very impulsively without thinking what about what I said. I do think that an elected official of a state that represents the country very much embodies the country and what I think of it (while terrorist aren't really elected but that's besides the point).
However, it is unfair to judge the many because of the action of the few ( it is a very dangerous line of thinking). And I appologize for doing so. I still think things like these should be more protested ( like the american people protest Trump) by the ones that opposite it, because I never hear of things like that in the news.

There's a lot of antisemitism floating around in this thread. You can critique a country's policies without directly attacking a religion.

Many jews are against the current Israeli regime.

come on now.

What kind of government tries to humiliate and deprive children of educational resources? Disgusting.

The United States government does as well. Let's talk about the inadequate funding of inner city public schools compared to county schools. I think you'd be surprised at the condition and budget allocations for schools in Baltimore. And then when the kids can't get a proper education, they resort to dropping out and selling drugs because it's an easy way to make money. And they end up mass incarcerated in privatized prisons. Did you know that 34% of the people in jail are Black even though they only make up 13% of the population...

The whole world is fucked.

guggnichso

Banned
That comment was in jest. People conflate anti-zionism with anti-semitism is my point.

You can get this point across without going borderline anti semitic. As could the people here going on about „God’s Chosen people lololol“.

And the fucking disgusting Gal Gadot posts.

But well, as always, conflating judaism with Israel’s government is of course super ok, because reasons and it’s just evil white people anyways.

Because anti semitism is a-ok if we just call it anti zionism.

Lautaro

Israel is the only country who can openly be against coexistence,integration and multiculturalism on "their" territory and nobody say or do anything because they fear sound anti-semite.

I don't think many countries give a shit about the anti-semite label, the real problem is that you can't just sanction them because USA will most likely veto anything that's serious (and harsh words from the international community will just be ignored).

As long as USA is Israel's sugar daddy this won't change.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Will you please stop with these posts that attack an entire religion that fail to bring anything of substance to the topic at hand? They serve no purpose other than to be hurtful.

In addition, this post makes it very clear that you don't even know what that means in the context of Judaism.

Depends on where the poster is coming from. Here surrounded by evangelicals that hold a disproportionate ammount of political power, the context of that phrase in regards to Judaidm is irrelevant. Evangelicals have used that phrase as a shield to label anything said against anything Israel has ever done as going against God's will. It's been a powerful tool used by conservative Christians here for a looooong time. They don't care what various Jewish sects thing of it, or any other interpretations. From that end, that phrase has been a serious problem contributing to a great deal of suffering.

Edit: It's also one of the difficulties in seperating legitimate criticism of Israel from anti-Semitism.

aeolist

Banned
But well, as always, conflating judaism with Israel is of course super ok, because reasons and it’s just evil white people anyways.

Because anti semitism is a-ok if we just call it anti zionism.

anti-semitism is factually not the same thing as anti-zionism though. one is bigotry against a class of people and one is simply being against imperialism.

anti-semitism is terrible, but we can't completely ignore the role that the state of israel and major american jewish organizations like AIPAC have played. if you want to get mad at people conflating any criticism of israel with hatred of jews, get mad at them.

ECC

Yup. There are certain nations for which the U.N. has practically no say over due to them being client states of one of the permanant members of the security council.

Yep - or those nations being on the security council.

Good or bad isn't really practical for much of this analysis. Prior to 1967 Israel observed that UN solutions to the Israel-Egypt conflict had a funny tendency to mostly work when they benefited Egypt and not really work when they benefitted Israel. The logical approach following this observation is to obtain "sponsorship" of a permanent member of the UNSC so you don't even have to deal with this problem. While Israel may be a prominent example of this, it is by no means the only example - see e.g. the Russian approach to Syria

The United States government does as well. Let's talk about the inadequate funding of inner city public schools compared to county schools. I think you'd be surprised at the condition and budget allocations for schools in Baltimore.
I don't recall the US govt destroying a new educational facility since the Jim Crow era. I know the US underfunds inner city schoils, this thread isn't about that.What Israel did here goes way beyond neglect, this was active malice.
GTFO with your what aboutism.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Actually, you are right. I posted very impulsively without thinking what about what I said. I do think that an elected official of a state that represents the country very much embodies the country and what I think of it (while terrorist aren't really elected but that's besides the point).
However, it is unfair to judge the many because of the action of the few ( it is a very dangerous line of thinking). And I appologize for doing so. I still think things like these should be more protested ( like the american people protest Trump) by the ones that opposite it, because I never hear of things like that in the news.

Appreciate the candor man. This is a good post. I also apologize if I misconstrued in any way.
If only people on both sides were like you, a solution couldve been arrived at.

ECC

anti-semitism is factually not the same thing as anti-zionism though. one is bigotry against a class of people and one is simply being against imperialism.

anti-semitism is terrible, but we can't completely ignore the role that the state of israel and major american jewish organizations like AIPAC have played. if you want to get mad at people conflating any criticism of israel with hatred of jews, get mad at them.

The end of your last paragraph makes the first three words of the paragraph come across as some prime first year college level bullshit one says to cover for the fact that the first part of the sentence is the societal acceptable standpoint, but you don't believe that at all.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Yep - or those nations being on the security council.

Good or bad isn't really practical for much of this analysis. Prior to 1967 Israel observed that UN solutions to the Israel-Egypt conflict had a funny tendency to mostly work when they benefited Egypt and not really work when they benefitted Israel. The logical approach following this observation is to obtain "sponsorship" of a permanent member of the UNSC so you don't even have to deal with this problem. While Israel may be a prominent example of this, it is by no means the only example - see e.g. the Russian approach to Syria

Yeah, I was just thinking of Russia-Syria. Also China-North Korea. Then other than the permanent members, you also have some that are pretty much off limits due to how they have inserted themselves into the world economy.

guggnichso

Banned

No, we can’t ignore this, but we also can’t ignore people using those threads for their fucking anti semitic comments that seem to be completely ok with Gafs normally hyper sensitive crowd and moderation.

The next fucking „God’s chosen people amirite“ comment I see in these threads...

Ah, fuck it.

My point is, you can discuss the Israeli administrations aggressions and crimes without condemning all Israelis, because they are not a monolith just like not every black American is a drug dealing gangbanger and not every white American is a borderline neo nazi redneck.

I don't recall the US govt destroying a new educational facility since the Jim Crow era. I know the US underfunds inner city schoils, this thread isn't about that.What Israel did here goes way beyond neglect, this was active malice.
GTFO with your what aboutism.

I'm not discrediting what Israel did. It's fucked. Down with the conservative regime over there.

aeolist

Banned
No, we can't ignore this, but we also can't ignore people using those threads for their fucking anti semitic comments that seem to be completely ok with Gafs normally hyper sensitive crowd and moderation.

The next fucking „God's chosen people amirite” comment I see in these threads...

Ah, fuck it.

My point is, you can discuss the Israeli administrations aggressions and crimes without condemning all Israelis, because they are not a monolith just like not every black American is a drug dealing gangbanger and not every white American is a borderline neo nazi redneck.

i agree with that point and comments like that should be bannable. i don't think "fuck israel" is the same thing as "fuck all israelis" though.

i'm an american and have zero issue with the sentiment "fuck america".

e. the "god's chosen people" thing is especially dumb because it erases non-jewish israelis. there's almost 2 million arab israelis along with druze and other minorities.

guggnichso

Banned
i'm an american and have zero issue with the sentiment "fuck america".

That’s probably because no one tried to erase your whole population from the face of the earth on an industrial scale. Except if you are a Native American, in this case forget what I said.

aeolist

Banned
That’s probably because no one tried to erase your whole population from the face of the earth on an industrial scale. Except if you are a Native American, in this case forget what I said.

well again that argument conflates judaism with the israeli state. the holocaust didn't target israelis, it targeted jews.

One also has to note that those organizations have conflated Israel and Judaism for many, many years, just from the opposite ideological direction.

Not that said Israel apologists are single-handedly responsible for anti-Semitism or even close to it, but when you spend decades conflating support for the state of Israel with Judaism as a way to shield the former from criticism, it's a bit rich to be shocked when people who don't like Israel decide to take you at your word.

guggnichso

Banned

Well, we ARE at week 40 (41?) of consecutive protests against Netanyahu. Over his very prossible corruption, not the crimes against the palestinians, but there IS a lot of opposition against him and his shit.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.808204

Israel is a democracy, the population cannot pretend that they don't share responsibility of the actions of their elected government. They at minimum are financing the bulldozers with their taxes.

Top Bottom