• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israeli demolition of Palestinian homes in Jerusalem and West Bank highest in 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
r

A Palestinian man reacts as he sits atop rubble after his home was demolished in Jabel Mukaber, a village in the suburbs of East Jerusalem, in this February 5, 2014 file picture.
r

An Israeli policeman stands near Palestinian residents as they react after their home was demolished in Jabel Mukaber, a village in the suburbs of East Jerusalem February 5, 2014.
Imagine for a second that this was your home...your family, sweat, blood and time. Razed to the ground and forced out, possibly to create a settler home for outsiders. Maybe it was your entire generation's familial home, or maybe you bought it, or you built it. How would you react? Sorry for being sappy about it. But this on-going travesty of justice boils my blood. Awareness MUST spread.

Israeli demolition of Palestinian homes at five-year high: aid groups
(Reuters) - Aid agencies working in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem expressed alarm on Friday at a spike in Israeli demolitions of Palestinian property coinciding with renewed U.S.-backed peace negotiations.

The statement by 25 aid organizations said the number of demolitions increased by almost half and the displacement of Palestinians by nearly three-quarters between July 2013, when the talks began, and the end of the year, compared to the same period in 2012.

Of the 663 Palestinian structures torn down last year, the highest number in five years, 122 were built with international donor aid, the groups said.

The International Red Cross announced this week it would stop delivering tents to Palestinians made homeless by demolitions in the Jordan border region of the occupied West Bank, citing Israeli obstruction and confiscation of aid.

"International and local aid organizations have faced increasingly severe restrictions in responding to the needs created by the unlawful demolition of civilian property, in violation of Israel's obligation to facilitate the effective delivery of aid," wrote the groups, which included Oxfam and Christian Aid.

Israeli military and political officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Israel captured the West Bank and East Jerusalem, along with the Gaza Strip, in the 1967 war. It quit Gaza in 2005, and the enclave is now governed by Hamas Islamists opposed to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas's peace-making strategy.

The Palestinians want the more than half a million Jewish settlers there, along with Israeli soldiers, to leave the occupied territories. Israel balks at such sweeping pullouts, citing historical claims on the biblical lands.

The Jordan Valley - the proposed eastern border of a future independent Palestinian state - has been especially contentious as Israel insists on keeping an army presence there after any peace accord. Palestinians have rejected this, saying a temporary international force should do the job, with Israel observing.

In recent decades, the Palestinian population in the region has declined as the water supply from the River Jordan has been diverted and Israel set up military zones and settlements.

Palestinian activists set up a protest camp in a derelict village there last week. At dawn Israeli forces scattered the group ahead of a mass rally for Friday prayers.

"They came in large numbers with their armored vehicles but that will not break our will, the popular resistance will continue and will be victorious and we will return," lawmaker Mustafa Barghouti, a member of the sit-in, said.

In a statement, the Israeli military described the protesters as "provocateurs" and said their evacuation was prompted by stone-throwing attacks on a nearby highway "and other legal considerations".

(Reporting by Noah Browning; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

Madness

So now, they're not only just building new settlements in Palestinian land, but tearing down and demolishing existing Palestinian homes there too?

well maybe the Palestinians should stop all the hourly terrorist attacks. they've probably blown up 200 busses this month alone.

edit: ehh sorry.. bad joke

Piecake

So they diverted the river that provided them with water, are demolishing palestine homes to put Israeli citizens there, and are taking the humanitarian meant for the Palestine people?

Holy hell...

AAK

I'm really just a coward and I know I'll probably never do something about this injustice. All I can do is say is that this is so wrong :(

Palestinians really should have more weapons to defend themselves with. destroying homes of defenseless civilians is an act of war, right?? arm the Palestinians and maybe at least they could keep their homes for a while longer.

Palestinians really should have more weapons to defend themselves with. destroying homes of defenseless civilians is an act of war, right?? arm the Palestinians and maybe at least they could keep their homes for a while longer.
How can they go against a military that has state of the art weapons, artillery, tanks, jets and even nuclear capability? Palestinians don't even have a nation, let alone a standing army.

Israel deserves some support in their struggle against the threats from terrorists and political enemies in the Arab world, but this is just disgusting and the world should have the courage to end this forced migration. The Palestinians have all my sympathy here.

Dopus

Banned

That would only give Israel more of an excuse to trample on these beaten people.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm really just a coward and I know I'll probably never do something about this injustice. All I can do is say is that this is so wrong :(

The problem is that none of us can do anything to change this. The only people who can are sitting pretty with their millions of dollars funded by Israeli lobbies.

Kurtofan

They'll just get crushed and Israeli forces will say 'see they were up to no good' I'm not sure what is there to do besides trying to raise awareness, humanitarianism and trying to change the political situation inside of Israel.

commedieu

Banned
They'll just get crushed and Israeli forces will say 'see they were up to no good' I'm not sure what is there to do besides trying to raise awareness, humanitarianism and trying to change the political situation inside of Israel.
And since money controls politics.

Where does that leave us?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I really wanna know what's the Israeli Right wing's end game?!

what do they realistically wanna do with those 4 million Palestinians in the WB... if not ethnic cleansing, if not an "apartheid like" system... what then?

what do they realistically wanna do with those 4 million Palestinians in the WB... if not ethnic cleansing, if not an "apartheid like" system... what then?

they're cornering the palestinians and waiting for them to fight back so they could call them terrorists and wipe them out

CrunchyB

they're cornering the palestinians and waiting for them to fight back so they could call them terrorists and wipe them out

Yeah, Israel's strategy is marginalize the Palestinians and populate their lands with their own settlements. They are never going to give land back unless they have absolutely no choice. And because the US is their loyal ally, they can do whatever the fuck they want.

Of course, the Palestinians (and the rest of the middle east) have not handled the situation well, to put it mildly.

BowieZ

Banned
Pure unadulterated institutionalised evil.

Fucking evil.

And hypocritical as fuck. But I'm sure Israel will get its comeuppance one day and we'll all be expected to give a shit.

All of this because of the Promised Land (TM)!
It's strange that the Western World is criticizing some Muslims for being religiously extreme yet give the blind eye for such despicable acts.

Blader

Yeah, Israel's strategy is marginalize the Palestinians and populate their lands with their own settlements. They are never going to give land back unless they have absolutely no choice. And because the US is their loyal ally, they can do whatever the fuck they want.

Of course, the Palestinians (and the rest of the middle east) have not handled the situation well, to put it mildly.

It's not as if anyone is going to force their hand on it.

Barring a major political shift within the Israeli government, the Palestinian people will likely be wiped out and/or driven out completely within the next 20 years.

Chichikov

International pressure can and in the end probably will end this bullshit, if you live in a western democracy there is certainly something you can and that is to press your elected officials to act.
It doesn't require bravery.

The current government has no end game, Netanyahu uses the conflict to get elected, get rich and help his buddies fleece the country in the process.
There are elements in the Israeli right who has plans, and they're in the form of ethnic cleansing or south African style bantustans, though no one in a position of power ever had the balls to follow through on those things.
Others think they just need to run out the clock until either the messiah come back or the Arab oil runs out (some people seriously think that without petrol dollars the world would be okay with that stuff).
And apartheid is a pretty good analogy for what's going on in the west bank already (not perfect, but historical analogies never are) within the 67 borders Jim Crow is probably more accurate.

This is bad.

What's worse is that thousands of Palestinians are starving to death in Syria - but this is bigger news I guess cos it's the evil Joos who are responsible.

AAK

The problem is that none of us can do anything to change this. The only people who can are sitting pretty with their millions of dollars funded by Israeli lobbies.

Sometimes I wonder if this is really true. If everyone who morally thought this was reprehensible, banded together and forcefully demanded their governments to stop this would that bring change?

Unfortunately I am just too much of a coward to act upon what I believe in. And seeing news like this just puts into perspective how fortunate I am. I was born to a family and in a country where I have unparalleled entertainment, food, water, and shelter to do whatever I can as long as I don't break the law. Then I see people half-way across the world that are just innocently trying to struggle day by day only to have everything unprovokedly taken away from them. It's just a tragedy with me sitting here in North America with no fear of anyone throwing me out in the streets to survive on my own. Considering the opportunities I have compared to Palestinians I really should be doing so much more with me life :(

International pressure can and in the end probably will end this bullshit, if you live in a western democracy there is certainly something you can and that is to press your elected officials to act.
It doesn't require bravery.

The simple act of getting the governments to do something will not be bloodless. Look at how many people had to die in Tunisia or Libya to get their leaders to step down who won't listen to them?

They're trying to solve the Israel/Palestine issue like how I used to play Civ4. "What's this, a cultural border of one of my neighbouring civs? Let me found a useless max pop 4 city here to expand my cultural borders". Also this would lead to some dumb shit when I used to have open borders and the fucking AI would show up and found their own city within my borders next to a resource and I would have to spend so many turns trying to flip the city or use a culture bomb.

I've gone completely off topic with the Civ tangent now, haven't I? I'll stop.

This is nothing new and absolutely disgusting. The Jewish power that is a major force in the United States government will ensure nothing is done to counter this.

And then people freak out when Palestinians attack. They attack because they have nothing else left to do.

This is a public ethnic clensing.

Sometimes I wonder if this is really true. If everyone who morally thought this was reprehensible, banded together and forcefully demanded their governments to stop this would that bring change?

Unfortunately I am just too much of a coward to act upon what I believe in. And seeing news like this just puts into perspective how fortunate I am. I was born to a family and in a country where I have unparalleled entertainment, food, water, and shelter to do whatever I can as long as I don't break the law. Then I see people half-way across the world that are just innocently trying to struggle day by day only to have everything unprovokedly taken away from them. It's just a tragedy with me sitting here in North America with no fear of anyone throwing me out in the streets to survive on my own. Considering the opportunities I have compared to Palestinians I really should be doing so much more with me life :(

The simple act of getting the governments to do something will not be bloodless. Look at how many people had to die in Tunisia or Libya to get their leaders to step down who won't listen to them?
Least you can do is spread the word. Tell friends and family, and fight ignorance.

Just you contacting your representative is not gonna do anything. But if a bunch do, that will.

Chichikov

The idea here is not a violent coupe, but to make people realize that voting for politicians who support the occupation will have dire personal consequences.
The settlements are not really all that popular in Israel, lots of people hate/afraid of Palestinians, but if people has to choose prosperity (or even the ability to take vacations in Europe) and continue the occupation, I'm pretty damn sure they'll elect people who will end that travesty.
And look at history too, the one time the US applied even a modicum or pressure (by best Bush threatening to only not give Israel loan guarantees, nothing super dramatic even) it turned the public opinion on this issue and got a hardline government to jump into peace negotiations that fought tooth and nail against in five minute

Lamel

Banned
This is disgusting. Even taking away red cross aid and diverting water supplies. Something needs to be done about this; America wake the fuck up.

This is bad.

What's worse is that thousands of Palestinians are starving to death in Syria - but this is bigger news I guess cos it's the evil Joos who are responsible.

We're talking about Israel, not "Joos".

cdkee

Banned
The saddest part is that the US has prevented UN action via security council veto 42 times on Israel's behalf. AIPAC is in all of Congressmen/women pockets. The tail wagging the dog, if you will. Shameful.

This has been ongoing for decades now, all the way back to the Irgun following WW1.

You would think Israel would do well to remember how they were driven from their homes. But nope...

The saddest part is that the US has prevented UN action via security council veto 42 times on Israel's behalf. AIPAC is in all of Congressmen/women pockets. The tail wagging the dog, if you will. Shameful.

This has been ongoing for decades now, all the way back to the Irgun following WW1.

At least the WH was able to put a stop to AIPAC backed Iran bill. AIPAC doesn't want peace. Israel Politicians don't want peace. US will pretend it wants peace.

Hasn't the EU historically been better at negotiating peace than US anyway for such conflicts?

Oriel

Can anyone explain what exactly is the Israeli legal basis for doing this? In most, if not all civilised countries governments will use some veil of officialdom and legalese to justify their actions. What's Israel's excuse?

RS4-

Can anyone explain what exactly is the Israeli legal basis for doing this? In most, if not all civilised countries governments will use some veil of officialdom and legalese to justify their actions. What's Israel's excuse?

Whatever their reason, it won't matter. Won't stop them from doing these disgusting things.

nib95

Banned
Disgusting and absolutely tragic. The Western world sits by and indirectly or even directly supports genocide. What an absolute travesty of justice.

lexi

Banned

Divine Right. They don't just want Palestine, either.

Something about Jewish people having historical claims to the land. Even though the actual Palestinian people may have lived there for decades.

Oriel

Whatever their reason, it won't matter. Won't stop them from doing these disgusting things.

Well yeah, but I can't imagine even Israel justifying their actions by saying "we don't give a shit about our Israeli Arab citizens. Could you imagine the US government going into a black neighbourhood in Harlem or LA and demolishing homes for white people. And not buying the homes from the occupants but getting the army to throw them out on the road and demolishing it.

Fuck I hate Israel. I honestly wouldn't be upset if they lost a war to the Arabs and had their country extinguished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom