• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israeli Minister blames Belgians for being too busy eating chocolate to fight terror

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackpot

Banned
And for being too democratic.

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Is...colate-it-wont-be-able-to-fight-terror-448924

The day after two attacks in Brussels killed at least 30 people, Intelligence Minister Israel Katz on Wednesday joined other Israeli politicians who criticized Belgian security prior to the bombings.

"If in Belgium they continue eating chocolate and enjoying life, and continue to appear as great democrats and liberals, and not decided that some Muslims in their country are organizing terror, they won't be able to fight them," he said in an interview with Israel Radio.

Following the deadly blasts, various Israeli politicians criticized criticized Belgium and Europe for what they indicated were lax security preparations.

Likud MK Nava Boker said Belgium's "policy of appeasement" was responsible for the terror attacks.

"Rather than point to radical Islam as the number one cause of global terror today, Belgian Interior Minister [Jan] Jambon chooses to claim that more must be done to make young Muslims 'feel at home,'" she said.

"Belgium must close its borders immediately, eject from itself the inciters and stop Muslim immigration into the country," she charged.

Boker said that Belgium would be better served to deal with its own internal terror threat, rather than "dealing with product-labeling initiatives against Israel."

In addition, Zionist Union MK Kesenia Svetlova said that the terror attacks in Brussels show that "European multi-culturalism has failed as a result of continued neglecting and ignoring of the challenges it poses."

AndyD

aka andydumi
So stop enjoying life. Live in fear. Got it.

Also build a giant wall at the border and send everyone else who is not like you outside of it. Hmm, sounds familiar.

I wonder what the outrage on the Right in Washington would be like if this were an <Insert Minister from Islamic country> saying this.

TimmmV

God the world would be such a better place if all these liberals did a little bit less enjoying life or chocolate eating, and a little bit more ethnic cleansing or giant wall building

Insanely crass---I'd be more than a little amused if they blocked all chocolate exports to Israel that they could going forward, especially if they could get some other big regions to go in with them on it, out of sheer and justified spite.

They are legitimate criticisms to be leveled at Belgium's security apparatus, but unfortunately nothing constructive was said here. These comments actually make me pretty damn angry coming from Israel.

Why on earth would someone say something like that at a time like this?

Boker said that Belgium would be better served to deal with its own internal terror threat, rather than "dealing with product-labeling initiatives against Israel."

Oh right.

I don't understand how people can be so out of touch with reality.

Live at Ground Zero (i.e. Israel) for 60 years and you might feel a little differently.

I mean, I personally don't agree with it, but I can't claim to know how Israeli's must feel having had to deal with this shit constantly for most of peoples' entire lives.

The whole chocolate and enjoying life thing is weird, but I can sympathize with the fact that Israelis have been dealing with terror for so long that it's a regular part of life, and the rest of the world is finally just now coming to understand what they've been screaming and crying about for the past 50 years.

ironcreed

Banned
ice_cube_wtf_gqvqs30u.gif

Never was this gif more apt.

nicolajNN

Wait, Belgians eat a lot of chocolate? When I think of Belgium I think of waffles, not chocolate. Silly man seems to have his stereotypes mixed up, tsk tsk

Joni

I mean, I personally don't agree with it, but I can't claim to know how Israeli's must feel having had to deal with this shit constantly for most of peoples' entire lives.
If they are dealing with it constantly, it is quite clear that their approach isn't working.

Wait, Belgians eat a lot of chocolate? When I think of Belgium I think of waffles, not chocolate. Silly man seems to have his stereotypes mixed up, tsk tsk
It is Belgian chocolate for a reason. Belgians also eat very little waffles, as waffles are more of a sometimes dessert while chocolate can be eaten daily.

Raist

Banned

There's several huge belgian chocolate brands.
Never heard of Leonidas? Cote D'Or? Guylian?

Live at Ground Zero (i.e. Israel) for 60 years and you might feel a little differently.

The whole chocolate and enjoying life thing is weird, but I can sympathize with the fact that Israelis have been dealing with terror for so long that it's a regular part of life, and the rest of the world is finally just now coming to understand what they've been screaming and crying about for the past 50 years.

I just feel sorry for you now

Oh man...if the Israeli's have it hard, I can only imagine how the Palestinians must feel.

I just feel sorry for you now

Because I don't agree with it? That means you agree with it?

Or is it because you are out of touch with how actual israelis feel regarding terrorism? My Facebook wall is full of people from israel, half of them are saying stuff like "this is nothing, they should try living in jerusalem".

My comment is simply a recognition and admission of the fact that many israelis feel this way, but please, continue on with the ad hominem attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom