• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israeli Minister blames Belgians for being too busy eating chocolate to fight terror

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I don't agree with it? That means you agree with it?

Or is it because you are out of touch with how actual israelis feel regarding terrorism? My Facebook wall is full of people from israel, half of them are saying stuff like "this is nothing, they should try living in jerusalem".

There are daily terrorist attacks with 30+ dead in Jerusalem?

Or is this a reference to being 'surrounded' by the 'enemy'.

Because I don't agree with it? That means you agree with it?

Or is it because you are out of touch with how actual israelis feel regarding terrorism? My Facebook wall is full of people from israel, half of them are saying stuff like "this is nothing, they should try living in jerusalem".

Tell them if they think living in Jerusalem is bad, they should visit Gaza or Khan Younis or the rest of what's left of Palestine. I know because I have direct family there. Water and food insecurity is just one of their many problems.

nicolajNN

It is Belgian chocolate for a reason. Belgians also eat very little waffles, as waffles are more of a sometimes dessert while chocolate can be eaten daily.
But what about Belgian waffles?!? Or is that not even Belgian and is my whole life a lie?

There's several huge belgian chocolate brands.
Never heard of Leonidas? Cote D'Or? Guylian?

Honestly, no. Chocolate has always been connected more with Switzerland around here.

Osahi

Wait, Belgians eat a lot of chocolate? When I think of Belgium I think of waffles, not chocolate. Silly man seems to have his stereotypes mixed up, tsk tsk

Actually, we eat fries and drink beer the most. Waffles and chocolates are for tourists! ( i never think about waffles when I think about my country)

Tugatrix

giphy.gif

Well Israelis why can't you solve the problem after so many decades?

Tell them if they think living in Jerusalem is bad, they should visit Gaza or Khan Younis or the rest of what's left of Palestine. I know because I have direct family there. Water and food insecurity is just one of their many problems.

Not to turn into a pissing contest, but I think your friends lack a lot of perspective on how it is to live on the other side of the fence.

I'm sure they do. I'm also sure that Palestinians lack perspective on the other side of the fence as well. Each side lacks perspective and sympathy for what the other side is going through.

My original post is not even taking sides on the matter btw, I'm just saying that if you've been engaged in constant war for 50+ years, you're gonna have a fucked up perspective on this kind of thing.

Whales

Banned

Maybe your friends should try living in Gaza.

@OP

Gross comment, but it coming from Israel's government, i'm not really surprised...

Joni

But what about Belgian waffles?!? Or is that not even Belgian and is my whole life a lie?
They are Belgian, but we wouldn't call them Belgian waffles. There are two major styles, namely Brussels and Liège waffles. Brussels left, Liège right.

Actually, we eat fries and drink beer the most. Waffles and chocolates are for tourists! ( i never think about waffles when I think about my country)
We eat enormous amounts of chocolat as well.

Live at Ground Zero (i.e. Israel) for 60 years and you might feel a little differently.

I mean, I personally don't agree with it, but I can't claim to know how Israeli's must feel having had to deal with this shit constantly for most of peoples' entire lives.

The whole chocolate and enjoying life thing is weird, but I can sympathize with the fact that Israelis have been dealing with terror for so long that it's a regular part of life, and the rest of the world is finally just now coming to understand what they've been screaming and crying about for the past 50 years.

You might have a point. That is, if the Israeli governement had not repeatedly proven it wasn't interested in peace. It's so much easier, for international PR purposes, to steal lands from "terrorists". You just have to corner a population, and you can be sure some of them will look for ways to fight back...

Alo0oy

Banned
Live at Ground Zero (i.e. Israel) for 60 years and you might feel a little differently.

I mean, I personally don't agree with it, but I can't claim to know how Israeli's must feel having had to deal with this shit constantly for most of peoples' entire lives.

Maybe they should stop oppressing people, then?

What would you honestly do if someone kicked you out of your house because a 3k year old book claimed that your house is actually his?

I'm sure they do. I'm also sure that Palestinians lack perspective on the other side of the fence as well. Each side lacks perspective and sympathy for what the other side is going through.

Right, let's blame the victims here!

Mael

Yeah I usually try to have a nice outlook on Israel and all.
But seriously fuck them.
If that's how they react to Belgium being under attack fuck them.
I wonder why they didn't say " Americans should stop eating burgers and deal with terrorism" on 9/12/2001 or something.
Fuck Iraelis officials.

Nephtis

I think that something does need to happen -- it's going to suck for a lot of innocent people who are trying to flee a terrible situation -- but they can't just let people in so easily while risking one's own citizens so much. Either clamp down on immigration and monitor the fuck out of people, or don't take them in. I wish there was some middle ground where things could be better.

Having said that, fuck that Israeli minister for saying what he did. What a prick.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
To show our support for Belgium we should all buy Belgian chocolate and beer.

law enforecement in Belgium were lax as fuck,

journalists made stories about how dumb and easy it is to cross the border without inspections

Cops could have arrested Adeslam 3 months ago but decided not to raid a house at night and he got away.

Law Enforcement in Belgium needs to take things more seriously.

Jonm1010

Banned
Its threads like these I need to start saving for when inevitably the next Israeli injustice happens and the usual suspects begin harping on how Israel is the most peaceful, fair, gentle, un-biased actor in the region. They are not.

Their coalition government is comprised of far-right parties, many of which, that have stated platforms that frankly, are far more offensive then this article.

MrKaepora

"If in Belgium they continue eating chocolate and enjoying life, and continue to appear as great democrats and liberals, and not decided that some Muslims in their country are organizing terror, they won't be able to fight them," he said in an interview with Israel Radio.

tumblr_nx3yosnDMx1qzoc0no1_500.gif

Jonm1010

Banned

The whole chocolate and enjoying life thing is weird, but I can sympathize with the fact that Israelis have been dealing with terror for so long that it's a regular part of life, and the rest of the world is finally just now coming to understand what they've been screaming and crying about for the past 50 years.

Let me ask you a question, what are your political leanings? And what country do you reside in?

I'm just trying to get a beat on what I am experiencing here and where this defense is coming from. Because it seems so often in these threads people with completely different personal political opinions almost instantaneously shed them and begin supporting policies, parties, philosophies and politicians that they never would accept in their own country, no matter how bad things had gotten, just because it is happening in Israel.

I mean do you think the way to deal with an issue like this should be the equivalent of Donald Trump's platform? Adopting fascist policy?

Let me ask you a question, what are your political leanings? And what country do you reside in?

I'm just trying to get a beat on what I am experiencing here and where this defense is coming from. Because it seems so often in these threads people with completely different personal political opinions almost instantaneously shed them and begin supporting policies, parties, philosophies and politicians that they never would accept in their own country, no matter how bad things had gotten.

US. I'm dead center politically. Some of my beliefs lean right, some left, but they all average each other out. I took the test at isidewith.com and it landed me right on the origin of the x,y plane.

Joni

and now you have 30+ people dead because cops don't want to bother people at night.
They are literally illegal. Abdeslam would have been free in a matter of hours and could have participated yesterday, as he wouldn't have been caught last week. In Belgium, if a cop does something illegal, the suspect gets off.

Jonm1010

Banned
US. I'm dead center politically. Some of my beliefs lean right, some left, but they all average each other out. I took the test at isidewith.com and it landed me right on the origin of the x,y plane.

Ok, so then do you think Donald Trump's policies on immigration and minorities are the correct way forward in America?

They are literally illegal. Abdeslam would have been free in a matter of hours and could have participated yesterday, as he wouldn't have been caught last week. In Belgium, if a cop does something illegal, the suspect gets off.

and terrorists take advantage of these lax laws and softness on the part of law enforcement

Jonm1010

Banned
Check his tag, no need to know more

Guess I need to pay more attention to tags lol.

Says all I need to know. Guess he was just trying to ease into what he was afraid to say from the outset which is he supports fascist policies toward brown people. Which I assume would conveniently not affect him.

law enforecement in Belgium were lax as fuck,

journalists made stories about how dumb and easy it is to cross the border without inspections

Cops could have arrested Adeslam 3 months ago but decided not to raid a house at night and he got away.

Law Enforcement in Belgium needs to take things more seriously.

It's easy to say such thing after an attack, but it's Belgium, we don't have the money and workforce to follow every potential target, even with the recent investments in expending the workforce.
A Belgium official said that they need 24 fulltime agents to fulltime follow one returned Syria fighter, you simple cannot follow everyone all the time.

Ok, so then do you think Donald Trump's policies on immigration and minorities are the correct way forward in America?

Banning muslims - not so much. I don't think it would be effective, not to mention practical, I don't even know how you would work out the logistics. I also support the letting Syrian refugees in, even though I'm certain that > 0 terrorists would make it over through that program.

On the wall - yes I mostly side with Trump. I only care insofar as we have a law, the law is being violated, and I believe violators should be dealt with in accordance with what the law specifies. I'm not about any kind of racial purity or anything, but I do believe that a law that isn't enforced is kind of a useless law. I'm not against re-defining the conditions and the process by which people become legal, including making it easier to come here legally, but I do think that legally is the only way people should come here, and anyone else has to go. And that applies equally to illegal people of any nationality and race, whether they be white, black, brown, yellow, or anything else.

Guess I need to pay more attention to tags lol.

Says all I need to know. Guess he was just trying to ease into what he was afraid to say from the outset which is he supports fascist policies toward brown people. Which I assume would conveniently not affect him.

What does my tag have to do with supporting fascist policies toward brown people. Looks I mistook you for someone who was interested in having an actual dialogue rather than taking cheap pot shots.

Jonm1010

Banned
Banning muslims - not so much. I don't think it would be effective, not to mention practical, I don't even know how you would work out the logistics. I also support the letting Syrian refugees in, even though I'm certain that > 0 terrorists would make it over through that program.

On the wall - yes I mostly side with Trump. I only care insofar as we have a law, the law is being violated, and I believe violators should be dealt with in accordance with what the law specifies. I'm not about any kind of racial purity or anything, but I do believe that a law that isn't enforced is kind of a useless law. I'm not against re-defining the conditions and the process by which people become legal, including making it easier to come here legally, but I do think that legally is the only way people should come here, and anyone else has to go.
Alright, I don't honestly care about derailing this thread about Trump and Mexico. I just wanted to figure out how you actually felt on the policy prescriptions being presented by the right wing Likud party.

So this gets to what I suspected. You would not support that sort of structural prejudice as a matter of policy. You would not close down borders. You would not ban Muslims.

So why even begin defending what these particular Israeli party members said? Clearly you don't agree with them. So why defend those desiring such policies? This seems to be a common experience I come across in these threads. People who are otherwise not supportive of certain policies all of the sudden supporting those adapting such policies simply because they are coming out of Israel. It seems, frankly, illogical.

EDIt: Also, I apologize for generalizing. You are right, I should of let you answer before assuming.

On the wall - yes I mostly side with Trump. I only care insofar as we have a law, the law is being violated, and I believe violators should be dealt with in accordance with what the law specifies. I'm not about any kind of racial purity or anything, but I do believe that a law that isn't enforced is kind of a useless law. I'm not against re-defining the conditions and the process by which people become legal, including making it easier to come here legally, but I do think that legally is the only way people should come here, and anyone else has to go. And that applies equally to illegal people of any nationality and race, whether they be white, black, brown, yellow, or anything else.

What does my tag have to do with supporting fascist policies toward brown people. Looks I mistook you for someone who was interested in having an actual dialogue rather than taking cheap pot shots.

The stupid wall isn't going to curb illegal immigration or drug trafficking. Go watch John Oliver's main segment on how impractical that stupid wall is.

Joni

and terrorists take advantage of these lax laws and softness on the part of law enforcement
Yes, it is scary that the police try to follow laws, they are indeed too soft. Belgian politicians are working on improvements, but this is literally the first time it might have been relevant. Might, because the Belgian justice minister has denied stating that it was relevant and that Abdeslam most likely was never there, not that he escaped during the night

Not entirely true, you cannot start a night raid after a certain hour, but you can continue one. They searched till 4 o'clock last night in some houses.
Yeah, that is different. It would still be a daytime raid when informing the residents. It is a question of neighbourhood safety for instance.

M-PG71C

Build the fucking wall, Belgium! Germany is counting on it's inner cities like Belgium to build the wall. Just like we are counting on FUTURE PRESIDENT Donald Trump to build our wall of peace and prosperity.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I wouldn't take seriously any advice or criticism from a country which suppresses a group of people for decades and acts surprised when they experience terrorist attacks.

Alright, I don't honestly care about derailing this thread about Trump and Mexico. I just wanted to figure out how you actually felt on the policy prescriptions being presented by the right wing Likud party.

So this gets to what I suspected. You would not support that sort of structural prejudice as a matter of policy. You would not close down borders. You would not ban Muslims.

So why even begin defending what these particular Israeli party members said? Clearly you don't agree with them. So why defend those desiring such policies?

I don't agree with them now, but if I was Israeli maybe I would. You can't really understand someone's mindset until you've walked a mile in their shoes, and that is my point. There's obviously a lot of history with regards to the Israeli / Palestinian conflict and so frankly I'm neutral on the issue because I have neither the background nor the historical context to have enough perspective to take sides.

Obviously this Intelligence Minister's words were fairly insensitive, I don't think we disagree on that. But if you look through the words to the underlying message, she is saying (albeit unnecessarily crudely) that if you want to fight terrorism effectively you have to be willing to revisit some of your existing laws and "core values".

And this is another area where I mostly side with Trump (although only in principle, not in practice as I don't agree with killing terrorists' families, new forms of torture, etc). Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that they could have caught Abdeslam a long time ago but they couldn't because they weren't allowed to conduct night raids. I mean seriously? What a fucking embarrassment. The Intelligence Minister's message is that if they continue with these kind of laughable restrictions on what they can do to fight terrorism, they're going to lose.

If I play Magnus Carlsen in a game of chess, I'm going to get destroyed. If he wears a blindfold, I'll still get destroyed. Takes away 2 of his pawns, I'll still get destroyed. He loses a rook and a bishop, hey now I have a fighting chance. It doesn't matter how much stronger Belgium, or the US, or anyone else's military is than ISIS, because we don't play by the same rules. And until we close that gap, we're going to be at a disadvantage. That doesn't mean we shoudl go start burning isis members alive in cages, but we should be willing to have a discussion on how the line can be moved to make preventing terrorism more effective while making at least *some* concessions on the other side.

Her words were obviously insensitive and crass, but I don't entirely disagree with the message, which is that terrorism is a threat which has evolved from the types of threats countries saw a decade or two ago, and both law enforcement and governments need to evolve with it to effectively deal with it.

The stupid wall isn't going to curb illegal immigration or drug trafficking. Go watch John Oliver's main segment on how impractical that stupid wall is.

Regardless of what the wall means to Trump (i.e. if it is an actual physical wall like the Berlin wall or something), to me it means enforcing our laws and strengthening border security, using whatever method does work.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

I really don't think you have the best understanding of this and furthermore find the way you're borderline gloating over this because it fits your narrative fairly gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom