• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s official: No Nintendo console has lasted as long as Switch without being replaced

Unknown?

It's pretty much impossible for it to not beat the PS2 record. It'll end like 10-20M ahead of it.

8+ years on the market by the time the new console comes out, and the new console isn't going to halt Switch sales.
Yes it will, if they keep the price $299. No one's going to buy that new if Switch 2 is $399.

used market switches can be picked up for 2 pennies and a cardboard box
CW9bZV9.png

Xxl9PxB.png
9c5HAJn.png

SFzOAfY.png

People lament the death of official price drops in video game consoles but that's really just because eBay prices on a regular weekday will drop further than any Black Friday deal. Lord have mercy if you can find a good one at a garage sale, flea market, or Facebook Marketplace.

Not to invalidate the Switch's success- But let's be real here it's cheap to get these systems, more than ever before

I’m just not sure what anything you’re saying has to do with this. PS2s used sold for significantly less than this late in that systems life. So what?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You quoted incorrectly lol your message is stuck in the quote

I'm just saying that the lack of price drops is not really that much of a problem these days for most people as there are alternative ways of getting switches for cheap

Last edited:
Not to mention the Gameboy Color isnt just the same with color, it has better hardware.
Yeah. Game Boy Color would be considered a different generation of Game Boy. New more powerful hardware along with new proprietary games that don’t run on original Game Boy. It wasn’t like Game Boy Pocket which was just a sleeker, thinner Game Boy.

Last edited:
You quoted incorrectly lol your message is stuck in the quote

I'm just saying that the lack of price drops is not really that much of a problem these days for most people as there are alternative ways of getting switches for cheap
No, it just makes the sales totals even more impressive. Because PS2 had plenty of price drops and in fact millions of them the last few years were sold at $129 and then $99 before it was eventually discontinued. Never before has a game console lasted its entire commercial lifespan without ever getting a price drop. There’s just no way to spin it not being extremely impressive, by any historical measure.

Traditionally, game consoles have always needed periodic price drops in order to attract new users, in order to remain commercially viable.

Last edited:
I basically agree with that. I was more interested in addressing the total b.s. that a device like a Game Boy would be considered a "console" for the purposes of this discussion.
Yeah you can use the term “portable console” in certain context, but everyone would have to agree that the term “console” when referring to a video game system means a stationary device that is plugged in and connected to a TV.

Without that definition, the word is meaningless.

BlackTron

CW9bZV9.png

Xxl9PxB.png
9c5HAJn.png

SFzOAfY.png

People lament the death of official price drops in video game consoles but that's really just because eBay prices on a regular weekday will drop further than any Black Friday deal. Lord have mercy if you can find a good one at a garage sale, flea market, or Facebook Marketplace.

Not to invalidate the Switch's success- But let's be real here it's cheap to get these systems, more than ever before

Used systems aren't included in sales numbers, so acting like breaking those records while cheap ones are available is less of an accomplishment is extremely silly.

Robb

Gold Member
Misleading thread title, should say home-console. They even mention that it’s still behind GB;
Of course, Nintendo Switch is a hybrid console which can also be played portably, and in terms of Nintendo’s longest-lasting handhelds, Switch is still far behind the original Game Boy, which enjoyed a massive 4,352 days before the launch of its full successor, the Game Boy Advance.

Still a long time though. A bit too long for my liking, but they’ve been able to bring out some pretty darn great software despite its age.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Game Boy was released April 21, 1989 in Japan. It got discontinued in March 31, 2003.

That's 14 years. Over 5,000 days (vs 2,687 of the Switch).

This why you here.

I was just going to post this.

So...this isn't their first portable to do this .

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Knowing Nintendo to keep this money machine alive … they won’t launch with backwards compatibility for the new console until a few years in with some virtual console switch offerings or some shit.

I really want switch 2 to just hopefully offer 1080p-1440p docked at 60fps and offer boosts fo old switch games. I am still holding off finishing totk or buying Metroid dread for this…

simpatico

Gold Member
We've reached the never ending generation. I think internal testing at Nintendo kept coming back unimpressive compared to an OLED Switch and the most technically impressive Switch titles. They're a very practical company and honesty the difference is not vast between the types of games Nintendo makes on a Switch and what they would make on a Steam Deck.

nordique

CW9bZV9.png

Xxl9PxB.png
9c5HAJn.png

SFzOAfY.png

Kind of an odd post

You’re talking about used systems, and the secondhand market is mostly its own thing

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I remember when the Switch was announced and the internet said it would flop like the Wii U. I admit, I wasn't that enthusiastic about it either, but it won me over within ten minutes of messing around with one. Still, I never would have dreamed that it would be such an overwhelming success.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I remember when the Switch was announced and the internet said it would flop like the Wii U. I admit, I wasn't that enthusiastic about it either, but it won me over within ten minutes of messing around with one. Still, I never would have dreamed that it would be such an overwhelming success.
The same thing happened to me, I was already disappointed and I thought it would be the same or worse than the Wii... But I realized that it was region free and had its catalog with mature games like Death Mark... I couldn't believe it...

And it became my second best Nintendo console... The first is the Snes.

Deerock71

Switch will never outsell the PS2 because Sony keeps finding sales they allegedly didn't know about. First the PS2 went to 155 million when the DS finished at 154. Now Sony says the PS2 sold 160. It'll be 170 if the Switch gets close to 160.
The Office Thank You GIF

Zannegan

How I wish it had TV out. Switch is too big to be a really effective portable. But the lite doesn't Switch which is just too massive a tradeoff. Oh well.
They knew exactly what they were doing, and it was a dirty trick, IMO. Lite SHOULD have had TV out. >=(

I also wish they'd come out with a Lite OLED (and make that one have TV out, just to differentiate).

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
We've reached the never ending generation. I think internal testing at Nintendo kept coming back unimpressive compared to an OLED Switch and the most technically impressive Switch titles. They're a very practical company and honesty the difference is not vast between the types of games Nintendo makes on a Switch and what they would make on a Steam Deck.

This is one of the reasons Nintendo should hold off on a successor for as long as possible. Not only so that their next console is released with even better specs, but because there are still sales left for the Switch, and that’s before a price drop, which could push them through next year if they really wanted. Also, every new console is risky, so milk what is working to death and give developers more time to put together a massive launch-window, and possibly get closer to PS5/XBS so you can port those games as well.

IAmRei

me too, man... Gust needs to step up. Stop making Akira Tsuchiya host livestreams. He need to get back to directing games.
Dang, wish someday He will remember and pitch up AT4 or porting 1-2 at minimum, it is not too hard shouldly

R3EUIL

At this rate of sales, in how many years would the Switch overtake the PS2? The success of a product like the Switch, which came after the failure of the Wii U, is surprising

Robb

Gold Member
At this rate of sales, in how many years would the Switch overtake the PS2? The success of a product like the Switch, which came after the failure of the Wii U, is surprising
Depends on what number you’re using as reference.

Switch was at 141M as of March 2024 iirc, and Nintendo has estimated to sell 13M Switch systems by March 2025. By that point the total would be at 154M. So if it’s the official Ps2 number of 155M you’re looking at, Switch will beat it next year.

If it’s the 160M number, it’s possible it’ll beat it by March 2026 as long as sales don’t stop entirely due to the successor.

Exentryk

Amazing console with wonderful games (Mario Kart, Octopath 1&2, Bravely Deafult 2, Zelda games, etc). Being able to play on tv and then continue into late night sessions in bed worked amazingly. Overall they really nailed the experience on both tv and handheld.

Can't wait for Switch 2 and get more of the same games.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
How I wish it had TV out. Switch is too big to be a really effective portable. But the lite doesn't Switch which is just too massive a tradeoff. Oh well.

Agreed.

The Lite is the superior handheld, but it is just a handheld.

Maybe they'll tweek this with whatever Lite version the next console gets.

Portugeezer

It will sell like crazy for another 2-3 years once Switch 2 comes and Switch 1 finally gets a price drop.

PS2 will finally be dethroned...
v1ZLDG.gif

Hell, if Switch ever gets to a $99 price point and still has special editions made... Who knows how far it'll go. 200 mil?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Insanely boring arguing over definitions of a console when the Switch literally redefined it

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Didnt Sony have a slider latetly that said 160million + ?

Ryan said 160 recently yeah, so not an "official" figure, but he would know.

Tomeru

It's official, Sony™️'s playstation 2 is the only console to ever be called that since its release.

Hey, it's a record.

Top Bottom