• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s official: No Nintendo console has lasted as long as Switch without being replaced

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Game Boy was released April 21, 1989 in Japan. It got discontinued in March 31, 2003.

That's 14 years. Over 5,000 days (vs 2,687 of the Switch).
This isn't about discontinuation, it's about the lack of a next gen successor.

That said, game boy color didn't come out until late 1998, so that's over 9 years.

And it's also debatable to what extent you would even consider it a next gen successor vs a stop gap refresh. On paper it's closer to like a New Nintendo 3DS, but in practice it had a lot of exclusives and stood on its own.

Hudo

Thread was bumped to console war and nobody even noticed.
People welcome it, imho. There's a lot of console warring going on at GAF. So much so that I actually try to avoid threads like this (I am obviously not succeeding)

Codes 208

That said, game boy color didn't come out until late 1998, so that's over 9 years.

And it's also debatable to what extent you would even consider it a next gen successor vs a stop gap refresh. On paper it's closer to like a New Nintendo 3DS, but in practice it had a lot of exclusives and stood on its own.
The gameboy color was prioritized as its own thing for three years before the gba released which also lasted three years.

I’d argue that constitutes as its own console. The n3ds and dsi were more like going from the gba to the gba sp, some quality of life improvements with some minor hardware improvements but otherwise they werent prioritized to the same degree (the gbc has more exclusives than the vita. Funny when you think of that)
Hell, it even got PORTS of gb games

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The gameboy color was prioritized as its own thing for three years before the gba released which also lasted three years.

I’d argue that constitutes as its own console. The n3ds and dsi were more like going from the gba to the gba sp, some quality of life improvements with some minor hardware improvements but otherwise they werent prioritized to the same degree (the gbc has more exclusives than the vita. Funny when you think of that)
Hell, it even got PORTS of gb games
Yeah all that is true, but it's kind of an outgrowth of the GBC's success, I'm not sure Nintendo really saw it that way when they launched it, when most carts were cross-combatible. There weren't even really exclusive games at launch. You could argue that GBC success was an outgrowth of the second wind the Game Boy got post-Pokemon.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Pre-teens don't care much about console power. They just like cartoony graphics.

foh-jodiewalton.gif

yurinka

For me a next gen successor is a console with better hardware, and whose games can't be played by its predecessor.

As it was the case of GB and GBC. Or GBC and GBA. Or PSP and Vita.

Even if the successor is BC, continues being a successor.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Exclusive wise, the PS2 can't be beat. Devil May Cry, God of War, Kingdom Hearts, Onimusha, Jak and Dexter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, the list goes on.
A list war of Sony first party titles...that includes Square, Konami, and Capcom? You keep saying first party...
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Top Bottom