• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s official: No Nintendo console has lasted as long as Switch without being replaced

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fitting for the greatest ever console.

What will be even sweater is when it eventually outsells the $99 PS2 with no price drops.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by Laff

If it manages to beat the PS2 or even get close without a price drop is a testament to how much of a fooking BEAST the Switch is. Best console in years!

JCK75

I'm really holding off at this point for Switch 2.. Loved my switch and it's been a great platform.. it's just in vital need of a refresh.

Amazing software library but just can't be bothered to play it. Switch is truly an enigma for me.

Curious what the Switch 2 will be. Fingers crossed for Wii U functionality and a Miiverse resurrection.

Bond007

Has sold like crazy- but hardly means its the greatest console ever.
Sure has been a successful one though with plenty of great games to choose from. To me, and every other Nintendo console- always a secondary as a means to play their exceptional first party titles.

Diddy X

If you keep producing something it'll continue to sell without an alternative.
Not sure what the surprise is.
The goal is first to [insert number], not celebrate because you've finally reached what the competition passed years ago and you decide to keep running on your own.

You kinda summarized what every company hope when they launch a new console and the Switch is gonna soon be the best at it.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Gameboy color is the successor to the gameboy and i will fight that. It had AAA exclusives the original couldnt play like pokemon crystal, wl3, both zelda oracle games, smbdx.
Comparatively: Gameboy pocket was a re-release because it was just a smaller original gameboy, the gbc was far more.

The gameboy line is just that, a line of succession of three different gameboys, GB, GBC, GBA

Last edited:
Now watch how some people get triggered by the fact "underpower" system is actually doing well.

The issue for me is that, other than first party titles, everything else runs like shit and looks like shit on it. Apparently the masses don’t care though.

I got burnt one too many times buying the switch version of a game, never again. The console is basically just for Nintendo 1st party titles at this point.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The issue for me is that, other than first party titles, everything else runs like shit and looks like shit on it. Apparently the masses don’t care though.

I got burnt one too many times buying the switch version of a game, never again. The console is basically just for Nintendo 1st party titles at this point.
This why I have both PS5 and Switch, I get most of my multipleform game on my PS5 (since Sony first party no longer interest me) while Switch mostly focus on their exclusives.

BlackTron

First party and old games are practically enough to carry it anyway. I've never played the Switch version of a title like Witcher 3 or Doom.

Trilobit

Now watch how some people get triggered by the fact "underpower" system is actually doing well.

I just finished Ghost of Tsushima and while I loved it, its game mechanics felt much older than BotW's. I know they are completely different games with different focus, but it was so 'static'. BotW's world felt more alive and made a bigger emotional impact on me. Exploration in GoT was also very disappointing and I hope they up their game for the sequel and don't only focus on the graphics. So in an ideal world Breath of the Wild would look like GoT, but in this case I'm glad they focused on making a fun playable world.

Woopah

You mean 15 million. The PS2’s last official number is 155 million.
Switch will never outsell the PS2 because Sony keeps finding sales they allegedly didn't know about. First the PS2 went to 155 million when the DS finished at 154. Now Sony says the PS2 sold 160. It'll be 170 if the Switch gets close to 160.

What we have know for years is that the PS2 shipped over 155 million by 31 March 2021. Based on Sony's repporting, it then shipped somewhere between 3.6m to 6.8m in the following fiscal year, before being continued.

What the Jim Ryan answer does tell us is how much PS2 sold in that fiscal year. There were no "found numbers".

K' Dash

If you keep producing something it'll continue to sell without an alternative.
Not sure what the surprise is.
The goal is first to [insert number], not celebrate because you've finally reached what the competition passed years ago and you decide to keep running on your own.

Somebody should have told Sega to keep producing Dreamcast consoles. Fools!

Both NES and SNES could've done nicelly (and actually have) even after a new console got introduced.

NES sold 62 milions. If they waited with SNES, and they focused on NES with games like SMW, TLoZ aLttP and SMK, with also 3rd parties like SC IV and MMX, then the NES would probably sell 70+ milion. But then the SNES wouldn't have been as great as it was.

R3EUIL

Depends on what number you’re using as reference.

Switch was at 141M as of March 2024 iirc, and Nintendo has estimated to sell 13M Switch systems by March 2025. By that point the total would be at 154M. So if it’s the official Ps2 number of 155M you’re looking at, Switch will beat it next year.

If it’s the 160M number, it’s possible it’ll beat it by March 2026 as long as sales don’t stop entirely due to the successor.
I'm referring to the rate of weekly sales, the Switch will certainly continue to fall in sales, and if its successor console has backwards compatibility and is a success, I think it will be difficult to reach the sales of the PS2 (the PS2 sold 160 million, so it won't be difficult to beat that figure if they support the console)

Robb

Gold Member
I'm referring to the rate of weekly sales, the Switch will certainly continue to fall in sales, and if its successor console has backwards compatibility and is a success, I think it will be difficult to reach the sales of the PS2 (the PS2 sold 160 million, so it won't be difficult to beat that figure if they support the console)
Unless Nintendo stops production of the current Switch similarly to how Sony did with Ps4 I don’t think there’ll be any problem for them to reach 160M+ given that they’ll be at 154M by March 2025.

The question at that point is just how long it’ll take to get there. For example, after the Switch released the 3DS still sold around 10M units the following 4 years, between 2018-2021.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Somebody should have told Sega to keep producing Dreamcast consoles. Fools!
Sega like Nintendo before the Wii had competition, Nintendo don't.
You would be still buying 3DS games if they never release a Switch, it's not like it was selling badly
Nintendo doesn't have the competition forcing their hand to release a new console, they already a generation or two behind anyway and Nintendo fans don't care.
If Sony & MS continued with excellent first party games support and exclusives people would still be buying those older consoles up.
Instead it dies down and they get ready for the next generation with one last swan song.
Who is gonna force Nintendo to release a Nextgen console to prevent them eating at their sales?
No one, they have no competition and they're not competition for anyone else either.
And to make it clear, I really wish they were.

Impotaku

People downplay the 3rd party support the Switch has received.
People keep pushing that false narrative the switch has no 3rd party games when the opposite is true. What they really mean is it doesn’t get all those shit broken half finished western games from the likes of Ubisoft and ea and activision and others of their ilk.

Out of the 512+ switch games I own approx 30 of those if I’m been generous are 1st party Nintendo games the rest are 3rd party releases. In fact that indies do so well makes the switch the only platform out of the 3 that some of these games even have a physical release on.

Hope Nintendo keep actively pushing switch so it breaks the sales records as it’s clear it’s bothering Sony so they moved the goalposts.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
"No Nintendo console"
Technicalities, Game Boy is a Handheld Game Console
And by Nintendo's own words
Everyone loves Game Boy. Packing a huge amount of power into a tiny package, this little console proved a revolution in videogaming when it launched in Japan in 1989
And even so, the Switch is a Hybrid that invites the comparison.

Hero_Select

And pretty much no price drops. Switch has been insanely profitable for Nintendo - well deserved too.

Now to pass PS2's 155 million and it'll be the best selling console of all time

The really bonkers thing is that my son is still playing (predominantly) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Smash Bros, Odyssey and Mario Party every other day. Didn’t they near enough release in the first year or two of launch?!

If they just release updates of those and better hardware that will do them for another ten years. Sony has still not cracked how to do games with replay value - this GAAS shit is the complete opposite.

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
Don't hate, just because you're oblivious.
I think it's you who is mistaken, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games There are only 4 Sony Franchises in the top 20 games sold on ps2 and one of them is the "Eye toy". People then never cared about the vast majority of Sony properties, until they got competition from the XBox 360, a console that did the same as PlayStation, so suddenly Sony and it's fans started acting like their dead flop franchises were great all along and the PS3 started getting many more Sony sellers (12/20).

kiphalfton

I think it's you who is mistaken, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games There are only 4 Sony Franchises in the top 20 games sold on ps2 and one of them is the "Eye toy". People then never cared about the vast majority of Sony properties, until they got competition from the XBox 360, a console that did the same as PlayStation, so suddenly Sony and it's fans started acting like their dead flop franchises were great all along and the PS3 started getting many more Sony sellers (12/20).

I couldn't care less what Wikipedia says, nor what the top-sellimg games were. Top selling, doesn't necessarily mean quality.

Exclusive wise, the PS2 can't be beat. Devil May Cry, God of War, Kingdom Hearts, Onimusha, Jak and Dexter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, the list goes on.

These are unique, games that originated on PS2. Not remasters, ports, etc. like Nintendo has leaned extremely heavily on to pad out the Switch library.

People can keep taking potshots at the PS2 if they want though. Doesn't matter, as even if sales get surpassed by the Switch, it's arguably the better on the two consoles.

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
I couldn't care less what Wikipedia says, nor what the top-sellimg games were. Top selling, doesn't necessarily mean quality.

Exclusive wise, the PS2 can't be beat. Devil May Cry, God of War, Kingdom Hearts, Onimusha, Jak and Dexter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, the list goes on.

These are unique, games that originated on PS2). Not remasters, ports, etc. like Nintendo has leaned extremely heavily on to pad out the Switch library.

Keep taking potshots at the PS2 though. Doesn't matter as even if sales get surpassed by the Switch, it's arguably the better on the two console.
If your going to ignore just how poorly Sony games sold then don't forget to add things like the Titanic DVD sales when showing off why the console itself was a hit.

Top Bottom