• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT Sets Box Office Record - Highest Previews for R-Rated film (heading for $100m OW)

Speaking of legs, one of the oldest box office records out there will finally fall later this month. Crocodile Dundee has held the title of top domestic gross for a September release for close to 31 years (at about $175M).

Even cooler, IT was released in hardcover 11 days before Crocodile Dundee hit theaters back in 1986.

Blue Jay

Neo Member
Haven't watched it myself yet but my mother has since my little brother insisted that he wanted to see it. She expressed time and time again that she can't stand horror movies at all but she really enjoyed this one. She told me that the entire audience cheered when it was over.

My excitement for the movie shot through the roof. I really can't wait to see it later in the week.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
just saw tonight, I'm almost glad they made it into two parts even though I would have loved to have seen the rest of it right now.

I definitely felt more scared in the original but I'm glad it's doing well

I expect great legs for this movie. There's no competition for this movie until two weeks from now with the Kingsman sequel. Even then I don't expect it to overshadow IT.

Blade runner might do that two weeks later though.

Wow

They're being a bit conservative with that $101M weekend estimate right?
The Friday without previews is $36.1M, so $101M would require Saturday business to fall from that and then drop 50% or more on Sunday. Even with the hurricane that seems unlikely.

I'm thinking more like $110M off this Friday number.

kswiston

The Friday without previews is $36.1M, so $101M would require Saturday business to fall from that and then drop 50% or more on Sunday. Even with the hurricane that seems unlikely.

I'm thinking more like $110M off this Friday number.

I just said basically the same thing in the wkd bo thread.

And $110M could be on the low side depending on how WOM builds. a 5% increase over Friday proper, and a 40% drop on Sunday, gives you $110M.

ronco2000

And $110M could be on the low side depending on how WOM builds. a 5% increase over Friday proper, and a 40% drop on Sunday, gives you $110M.

You're forgetting about football. Sunday drop might be in 60s.

Dalek

I'm so glad to hear this. I loved every second of it-my wife is scared to death of horror movies but I think the heart of the characters would really endear her to the film.

I can't stop thinking about the movie.

Dalek

Nope not checked out the book or original film.
Just saw that it was another horror Hollywood remake and assumed it wouldn't do too well tbh

This really is an insult. It's not a "remake" as the mini-series was made for TV rush-job, and other then Tim Curry was pretty bad. This is the first feature film adaptation for the book-and a quality Stephen King property given respect and love like Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

Wonder if It has the same pull internationally.

I have been thinking. They are going to spin-off this IP until it stops making money. So we could go way back and way into the future.

This really is an insult. It's not a "remake" as the mini-series was made for TV rush-job, and other then Tim Curry was pretty bad. This is the first feature film adaptation for the book-and a quality Stephen King property given respect and love like Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

Hey, the child actors were pretty good.

Monocle

Well good. This means Part 2 is a given, which was all I wanted after the movie turned out to be as good as it looked.

gamz

Jesus! I was like 30M under. Didn't expect this or the reviews. What a beast.

Monocle

Seeing it tonight but my brother who has very similar tastes to me absolutely HATED it and he went in hyped so now I'm pretty discouraged. :/
The movie's too good to hate, unless you have hangups about something unrelated to its quality, like coming-of-age stuff or mature language, lol.

Honestly though, if you don't appreciate the first scene between Georgie and Pennywise, the film is not for you. And that wouldn't be the film's fault.

kurahador

Seeing it tonight but my brother who has very similar tastes to me absolutely HATED it and he went in hyped so now I'm pretty discouraged. :/

I'm guessing he went in expecting a horror movie which is wrong. The movie is more of a adventure/drama like Stand By Me with stronger horror elements.

Speaking of legs, one of the oldest box office records out there will finally fall later this month. Crocodile Dundee has held the title of top domestic gross for a September release for close to 31 years (at about $175M).

See, this is where I think records should always be inflation-adjusted. It makes no sense to call a $ number a record if less people attended to watch the movie.

ShutterMunster

Happy to see it's doing well.

I thought it was a solid film but IT isn't exactly made for cinema, in my opinion. The story is simply too deep and too vast.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Winners this weekend: Stephen King, Warner Bros., Bobby Roberts

Losers: Professional clowns

banktree

Banned
See, this is where I think records should always be inflation-adjusted. It makes no sense to call a $ number a record if less people attended to watch the movie.

But there's always going to have been less people because movies had more advantages previously than they did now. It's why Gone with the Wind is always #1 - The movie played for decades in an era where theatres were a cheap source of heat/air conditioning. Movies now are fighting cable, streaming, and endless other sources of entertainment.

Inflation is a lazy way of saying "No, actually this movie didn't do that well." Despite all evidence, in the same way that Suicide Squad and Spider-Man: Homecoming were called flops despite being massive popular blockbusters.

Movies should be compared to one thing: the amount of money they make vs. the amount of money it cost to make them. If they happen to make a record along the way, good for them!

Caode

That almost tops Paranormal Activity 3's opening weekend record of $52 million in one day. Huge numbers.

Top Bottom