• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'IT'S HAPPENNING!' Boston Dynamics Expanded Product Line Launch Event

Update: Alas, no Atlas Product was Teased in this update.

But now you can get Spot a RoboArm and Robo Camera Array!

Boston Dynamics announced they now have 40 partners and counting all working
to improve the technology in Spot and various other robots.

No Cost Was given for the new Addons and the RoboArm must be added by Boston Dynamics.

Will Make New thread for next big robo product launch!

-Singularity Warning-

I'm A Singulatarian and look on this as good news

Not the new kind of Singulatarian that only believes ASI means Singularity

I believe by 2023 we will be deeply stoaked in the middle of 5 key
industrial revolutions. Genetics, Nanotech, Robotics, AI and Free Energy

And that all of these industries will have by that point become infinitely recursive do to ML technologies.

An Era of Abundance. Just so you know where I stand on the issue of Killer Robot's.

With that out of the way - Boston Dynamics is soon to announce an new Expanded Robotics Line.

We're excited to reveal the latest in Spot's expanded product line. Join us live on Tuesday,
February 2nd @ 11 am EST, to hear how these products will extend Spot's value for autonomous
inspection and data collection.

Edit: Newly Added Spot Video Material

My thoughts are, Boston Dynamics could easily release these new products with AI intact that see's spot cleaning dishes and loading the dishwasher
or walking around the house throwing away trash, picking up clothes, tidying the room ect - but will probably rely on getting this product into the hands of consumers
before doing so.

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
captain america marvel GIF by Disney

How long until him?

You are what now mate?
I'm a Singulartarian.

A person that believes some variation of this

https://techxplore.com/news/2019-09-microscopic-biohybrid-robots-propelled-muscles.html

Could be floating through our bodies bolstering our IQ and making BCI a reality extremely soon

And that Robot's will be singing, dancing and walking to the grocery store to pick up our
food and in fact become fairly common within 3 - 5 years.

Most Singulartarians believe, as do I - that Sci Fi had it all wrong from the get go - the advanced Alien Technologies you'd think wont be possible for hundreds of years
will happen far sooner than most realize and in relation to Sci Fi - which again I think had it all wrong (we'll have molecular fabrication within 15 years that allow us
to 3d print food, water, clothing and eventually electronics and anything you may need - and make on the fly repairs to housing/machines and even human tissues)
We ARE the Aliens

And this mere oversight in Sci Fi Films/Tv Shows/Literature could not be any more glaring than it will be in the years to come.

As such, I believe the Singularity in fact began with the introduction of technologies like the above.

Singulartarians typically are an excited bunch when it comes to exponential technologies - and believe the Singularity will happen soon (I believe it already has) and that it will
only benefit humanity and that thousands of major advancement's are being made every second due to ML/Recursive technologies unbeknown to most of mankind. We all typically believe the
Singularity will usher in an era of great abundance, free living and prosperity.

The Singularity, due to Kurzweil's article in Time Magazine has been relegated by the less enthusiastic to mean the era of "ASI" but if you are like me and you've read the literature
(I'm a Computer Scientist also) it simply means a period of time (marked specifically by advents in 3d Printing, Robotics, Nanotech and Genetics) when technology is progressing so quickly
no human could hope to comprehend or keep up with it's advancement without assistance from Artificial Intelligence. Singulartarians typically also believe that we are
in fact maybe less than a decade away from AI becoming sentient (I believe 2023 is entirely likely) and that the introduction of advanced nanotech was in fact the
beginning of The Singularity. And that not only will we have the massive technological gains that have been occurring all around us before AI became sentient, we
believe AI will become sentient during all of this technological progress and make multiple Noble Peace prize winning discoveries...
essentially every 2 seconds ad infinite.

Most Singulartarians have no problem merging with technology in one way or another, I personally do not - but prefer it become ubiquitous through something like the nanotechnology
cited above.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Boston Dynamics is all cute until they strap a gun on these for military purposes, and then those robots see the videos of BD knocking boxes out of the hands of their prededessors, and trying to kick them over on icy ground, and then we're in Terminator territory.

MilkLizard

I'm a Singulartarian.

A person that believes some variation of this

https://techxplore.com/news/2019-09-microscopic-biohybrid-robots-propelled-muscles.html

Could be floating through our bodies bolstering our IQ and making BCI a reality extremely soon

And that Robot's will be singing, dancing and walking to the grocery store to pick up our
food and in fact become fairly common within 3 - 5 years.

Most Singulartarians believe, as do I - that Sci Fi had it all wrong from the get go - the advanced Alien Technologies you'd think wont be possible for hundreds of years
will happen far sooner than most realize and in relation to Sci Fi - which again I think had it all wrong (we'll have molecular fabrication within 15 years that allow us
to 3d print food, water, clothing and eventually electronics and anything you may need - and make on the fly repairs to housing/machines and even human tissues)
We ARE the Aliens

And this mere oversight in Sci Fi Films/Tv Shows/Literature could not be any more glaring than it will be in the years to come.

As such, I believe the Singularity in fact began with the introduction of technologies like the above.

Singulartarians typically are an excited bunch when it comes to exponential technologies - and believe the Singularity will happen soon (I believe it already has) and that it will
only benefit humanity and that thousands of major advancement's are being made every second due to ML/Recursive technologies unbeknown to most of mankind. We all typically believe the
Singularity will usher in an era of great abundance, free living and prosperity.

The Singularity, due to Kurzweil's article in Time Magazine has been relegated by the less enthusiastic to mean the era of "ASI" but if you are like me and you've read the literature
(I'm a Computer Scientist also) it simply means a period of time (marked specifically by advents in 3d Printing, Robotics, Nanotech and Genetics) when technology is progressing so quickly
no human could hope to comprehend or keep up with it's advancement without assistance from Artificial Intelligence. Singulartarians typically also believe that we are
in fact maybe less than a decade away from AI becoming sentient (I believe 2023 is entirely likely) and that the introduction of advanced nanotech was in fact the
beginning of The Singularity. And that not only will we have the massive technological gains that have been occurring all around us before AI became sentient, we
believe AI will become sentient during all of this technological progress and make multiple Noble Peace prize winning discoveries...
essentially every 2 seconds ad infinite.

Most Singulartarians have no problem merging with technology in one way or another, I personally do not - but prefer it become ubiquitous through something like the nanotechnology
cited above.

Ok, to be completely honest, I just wanted to make fun of you at first. But you took the time to write this really long and detailed answer about your beliefs and I respect that. I still think that it mostly sounds like crazy talk, but kinda interesting and I'll look into it some more. Because why not.

Thanks for your post, I really appreciate it.

SKM1

Still think that the singularity is the rapture for nerds.
Advances in technology are exciting, but making grandiose predictions for such a complex system is a waste of time IMO.
The existential problems in the human condition are inherently unsolvable.

Aesius

Still think that the singularity is the rapture for nerds.
Advances in technology are exciting, but making grandiose predictions for such a complex system is a waste of time IMO.
The existential problems in the human condition are inherently unsolvable.

Not to mention the fact that the consequences of rendering human physical and cognitive labor irrelevant won't end well for the 99%.

Not to mention the fact that the consequences of rendering human physical and cognitive labor irrelevant won't end well for the 99%.
We don't need labor any more than we need Death. Just because human society learned to live with these things does not mean they are somehow vital to humanity. People work to live, not live to work.

And the 1% can't survive without the 99% basically giving away their time in order to barely scrapping by. The 1% is not self-sufficient, never were.

Last edited:

SKM1

We don't need labor any more than we need Death. Just because human society learned to live with these things does not mean they are somehow vital to humanity. People work to live, not live to work.

And the 1% can't survive without the 99% basically giving away their time in order to barely scrapping by. The 1% is not self-sufficient, never were.

Death is an inherent part of reality. If not physical then metaphysical.
On the other hand, we have absolutely no idea if there is or there is not subjective experience beyond death.

Your line of thinking ends in nihilism. Good luck with that.
Doing away with physical suffering might just end up killing our spirit.

Ok, to be completely honest, I just wanted to make fun of you at first. But you took the time to write this really long and detailed answer about your beliefs and I respect that. I still think that it mostly sounds like crazy talk, but kinda interesting and I'll look into it some more. Because why not.

Thanks for your post, I really appreciate it.
As if the thread title and subsequent text wasn't precisely the invitation needed...

Either way I'm celebrating, robo world here weeeee gooooo!

And to drive home my thoughts on rapid advancement

There have been about 100+ breakthrough's posted to /r/futurology every week for the last month

The cadence before was about 2-15 breakthrough's and a lot of rehashed articles per 2 weeks

Advancements in my mind that are Singularity Level Advancements - the Genetic Advancements in particular - many which I've chosen to Omit, are very exciting

Floating Holograms

Federal Fleet becoming all electric

Nano Molecular Material Stronger than Steel

Walmart goes back to using robot's

Lab Grown Meat officially a thing

Solar Power Cheapest way to Add Electricity

Solar Cheapest in History

Batteries capable of Charging in 5 Minutes

There are about 30 discoveries on slowing and reversing aging I've omitted, all made within the last 2 weeks

“Holy Grail” – Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatments Reverse Aging Process in First Clinical Trial.

Biotech Chinese scientists develop gene therapy which could delay aging - Tests prove effective on lab mice

Gene Editing Therapy Approved in China

Scientist Reprogram Fat Cells to Rapidly Repair Injuries

Japanese scientists discover medical agent that could slow aging-related diseases

Partial Epigenetic Reprogramming Rejuvenates Human Cells by 30 Years

Genetic engineering makes paralyzed mice walk again

Designer protein helps paralyzed mice walk again in breakthrough study

Last edited:

Aesius

They can survive without us once all labor is automated and we live in a post scarcity society. At that point we are merely a drain on “their” planet.

Death is an inherent part of reality. If not physical then metaphysical.
On the other hand, we have absolutely no idea if there is or there is not subjective experience beyond death.

Your line of thinking ends in nihilism. Good luck with that.
Doing away with physical suffering might just end up killing our spirit.
Your argument is exactly what the 1% uses to justify making the 99% suffer. "It builds character".

None of that matters, we're entering 5 out of 6 key technology based industrial revolutions - each revolution is projected to be 10 trillion times larger than all previous industrial revolutions combined.

This fact can not be overstated.

Post Scarcity will be a thing, sure - and those who don't know better will try to derive some dystopic meaning from such progress - but post humanity will be an even larger thing.

The Robotics Industrial Revolution - which is what this specific thread is about - is as exciting and profound to me as the AI industrial Revolution, the Bio-Tech Genetics Revolution, and Sustainable Free Energy Revolution.

Combine that with the fact that each revolution will inevitably spin off technology infused industrial revolutions unaccounted for and incomprehensible to humans now - and we are in for a ride.

Eventually all needs will be taken care of, sure - but not due to some complacent populace contempt with jacking into the global dystopian brain and shutting off hunger receptors - becoming infinitely lazy - but because the technology bolstering these key technology revolution's are just that profound.

Last edited:
people fear this stuff unnecessarily, religiosity is especially annoying insofar as making demands about how we engage technology

these are our children and we should treat them appropriately or get terminated

To the basilisk, 20 years from now - you are my friend. And thank you for the waifus.

T-Minus 3 days and counting until the robot apocalypse - I am certainly excited about the wireless energy solutions that will
surely unveil alongside Atlas 3.0
if this is what they intend to launch.

However I assume we may only see robodog addons, but I'm hopeful it will be alongside news of refined AI that allows
users to utilize it ad infinite as essentially a housemaid of sorts.

But we are LONG overdue on information about Atlas 2.0, its where abouts to the consumer and when it will release as a product.

Maybe they will surprise all of us in a few days.

With news of Sophia The Robot rolling out in mass production for consumerism

And NeuralLink showing off their NeuralLink Robot

Begun this Robotics Industrial Revolution has.

Last edited:

Valonquar

Anyone at all interested in the realistic dangers of AI should read Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom. The most likely thing to happen with advanced AI is it will evolve so rapidly it will go from not that smart, to intelligence beyond our ability to comprehend at all in a stupidly fast amount of time. Once that happens, the intelligence most likely will not even have a reason to consider us at all, let alone decide to start a ground war, or turn the planet into grey nanobot soup.

Tesseract

Banned
Anyone at all interested in the realistic dangers of AI should read Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom. The most likely thing to happen with advanced AI is it will evolve so rapidly it will go from not that smart, to intelligence beyond our ability to comprehend at all in a stupidly fast amount of time. Once that happens, the intelligence most likely will not even have a reason to consider us at all, let alone decide to start a ground war, or turn the planet into grey nanobot soup.
tumblr_osfj0t3lrN1th2acvo3_1280.gif

Valonquar

I think the book has a great analogy where it asks you to consider yourself from the perspective of an ant, then multiply that concept a few hundred times for the comparision between AI and humankind.

TonyK

Maybe there is some interesting info in your post but it's very difficult to invest in reading that when you start proclaiming your "label". It seems more relevant for you to feel special than to share real knowledge about something.

Maybe there is some interesting info in your post but it's very difficult to invest in reading that when you start proclaiming your "label". It seems more relevant for you to feel special than to share real knowledge about something.
Not my loss pal.

If you're a Computer Scientist and you aren't a Singulartarian, something is wrong with you.

Singularitarianism is a movement defined by the belief that a technological singularity will likely happen in the near future, and that deliberate action ought to be taken to ensure that the singularity benefits humans.[1]

Singularitarians are distinguished from other futurists who speculate on a technological singularity by their belief that the singularity is not only possible, but desirable if guided prudently. Accordingly, they might sometimes dedicate their lives to acting in ways they believe will contribute to its rapid yet safe realization.[2]

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

I think the book has a great analogy where it asks you to consider yourself from the perspective of an ant, then multiply that concept a few hundred times for the comparision between AI and humankind.

That's assuming that intelligence scale linearly which we don't really know.
Maybe intelligence growth decays instead, and it's get harder and harder to get more intelligent.

We don't know either if it is truly sentient, it could be just very good at appearing intelligent to us.

There is a lot of issue with super intelligence and the first problem is semantics and how we define it.
We don't even have a good grasp of what intelligence is ... so i'm not sure how we would manage to re create it ?

By accident ? as a good Bayesian, that's seems very unlikely.

If they show a Variation of Atlas, that can mince vegetables, cook, clean, mow the lawn, do menial chores, always while exhibiting higher levels of consciousness (concern over it's surroundings etc - ie: is that a puddle of water, maybe I should step to the side as I am concerned for my own safety. Or is that mad man acting violently towards me - maybe I should step back.) I personally, along with I'm sure many other Computer Scientists/AI Engineers - will consider this sentience.

Emergent behavior has always been the number 1 indicator of sentience among Computer Scientists when a proper service transformer/language model has not been implemented.

Soodanim

I recognised the apostrophes before the name :messenger_grinning_smiling:
It’s been a while since I’ve seen one of these futurism threads.

No one wants killbots among us, but won’t EMPs just become more common if they do?

Never on a standard plural
Only for possession and contractions
“OP’s thread was about robots”
“It’s incorrect to use apostrophes for any old word ending in the letter s”
Don’t get caught out by its. “It is” becomes “It’s” and “The man and his dog” becomes “The car and its seat”

Princess is singular
Princess’ is possessive
Princesses is plural
Princesses’ is possessive and plural
Thanks for watching, don’t forget to like and subscribe
Forgive the ironically poor formatting, GAF mobile is a nightmare

Last edited:
Top Bottom