• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's official - SCEA delays GT4 to "early 05"

WarPig

davidbruy said:
Sony really screwed up this time if they don't include online play and they may very well see the effects in sales.

I dunno. The way I see it, GT4 doesn't need online play. It doesn't need a gaming enthusiast audience period. It could get slammed by every game mag on the planet, and in fact I suspect it will get a distinctly ambivalent reaction from the enthusiast press. It's designed for a different audience now, the people who read shit like CAR instead of the people who read EGM. They'll buy it in droves.

DFS.

Hellraizah said:
It has been from the beginning of the year.

I'll give the Xbox 1st half of 2004, but second half has been PS2's easily, and thus the year. :D

Halo 2 does not a second half make, all by itself.

mr2mike

Banned
DAMN YOU ALL!!!

I WANT AW11+NORDSCHLEIFE LOVE NOOOOOOW!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!

I would have been able to enjoy my virtual car while my reality car would be stored for the winter, but nooooo, you had to wreck that eutopia, sony, thank you >:

thorns

Banned
Well the "lies" I was talking about how they were GT4's online mode, then suddenly online mode disappears and they're going to sell you another product that is going to be online.

I guess gimmicky stuff like eye-toy support and b-spec mode was important though.

"And from what we could determine at this point, the only major change in the AI is that no car will ever trail too far behind you, and that they won't smash into you if you jam on the brakes before a sharp turn. "

rubberband AI too. they have great visuals + physics + car models, but the rest of the game falls a bit short for my tastes. online is a must for me in -sim- racers.

Insertia

davidbruy said:
Sony really screwed up this time if they don't include online play and they may very well see the effects in sales.

online play certainely helped RSCII and PGR2's sales...

Gran Turismo sells because of its authenticity. As long as it retains that sells won't falter.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
"We here at Polophony studios are fully able to give you GT4 by this holiday season. However, the major manufacturers of the cars appearing in our game won't allow that to happen. Sorry."

WarPig said:
I dunno. The way I see it, GT4 doesn't need online play. It doesn't need a gaming enthusiast audience period. It could get slammed by every game mag on the planet, and in fact I suspect it will get a distinctly ambivalent reaction from the enthusiast press. It's designed for a different audience now, the people who read shit like CAR instead of the people who read EGM. They'll buy it in droves.

DFS.

As a car fan myself, I agree. Screw the gaming-only haters, this game is made for people who love cars first, gamers second. I think the car fans would be turned off by the online gamers pretty quickly anyway if they tried to go online themselves.

Polyphony has an ambitious plan to greate a 'social' online car community with GT4 when it goes online, but I think it still has quite a ways to go for something like that to become more mainstream for it to really work (as opposed to the so-called 'l337 GaMeRz' crowd that's playing online for the most part right now). Nice for them to give it a good try though. The social aspect should eventually get better with later online versions of GT in the future though (I hope!)

If anything, with this new GT4 delay, maybe Polyphony can add in their new SEMA GT Awards 2004 winner (HPA Volkswagen R32, I believe).

shpankey

not an idiot
They should definately just hold the damn game to include online play. There is no excuse if they don't. But instead I have no doubt they would never do that. Not when they can get 2 paydays instead of 1.

Okay here's the facts:

PS2 includes online play, it's a hit.

XBOX includes XBOX live, it becomes a hit eventually.

Gamecube does not support online play, lagging in sales a bit only parents with young kids and diehard nintendo fans will pick it up.

Now this:

PS2: very good games but now most are on xbox now too. SOCOM is Sony's major game online made by SCEA. However, poor use of the hard drive kills the idea of downloadable content and hurts sony's online plans bigtime. Also, everygame requires them to enter their username and password, thus requiring the user to remember passwords and usernames.

XBOX: nowadays, almost every game is xbox live one way or the other. Over a million people are online and don't have to worry about remembering tons of usernames and passwords. Also with the hard drive, you can download new rosters (could do with with the ps2 as well), new maps, cars, and other good stuff.

There's is no reason for Sony not to include online play and fans will be disappointed that they cannot challenge their friend or family member that is miles away and with the xbox, they could with PGR2, Rallisport, soon to be realeased Forza, and other great games.

Insertia

davidbruy said:
There's is no reason for Sony not to include online play and fans will be disappointed that they cannot challenge their friend or family member that is miles away and with the xbox, they could with PGR2, Rallisport, soon to be realeased Forza, and other great games.

Polyphony has confirmed GT4 will be online at some point, but I do agree with you, it should be online out of the box. It's something the fans wanted for years and Polyphony seriously dissapointed us (well, me at least) when they canned it.

On the other hand, two of the three online Xbox racers you mentioned bombed out of the gate despite Xbox's 'widely popular' (note-sarcism) online service. So in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't break sales but it does please the fanbase.

Also, everygame requires them to enter their username and password, thus requiring the user to remember passwords and usernames.

That's the most insignificant fault I've seen regarding online gaming.
You're reaching.

That's the most insignificant fault I've seen regarding online gaming.
You're reaching.[/QUOTE]

I apologize, I don't play online on the PS2 so I should eat crow.

Agent X

davidbruy said:
Also, everygame requires them to enter their username and password, thus requiring the user to remember passwords and usernames.

What are you talking about? Most online games have an option to save the username and password to memory card, so you only need to enter it once.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
thorns said:
Well the "lies" I was talking about how they were GT4's online mode, then suddenly online mode disappears and they're going to sell you another product that is going to be online.

I guess gimmicky stuff like eye-toy support and b-spec mode was important though.

Surely you realize that adding eye-toy "support" isn't even a fraction as time-consuming as building a proper, stable online mode. Same goes for b-spec mode (not to the same extent, but still), which I wouldn't neccessarily brush off as a gimmick like the eye-toy feature either.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
thorns said:

How the hell is b-spec mode "gimmicky stuff"?

rubberband AI too. they have great visuals + physics + car models, but the rest of the game falls a bit short for my tastes. online is a must for me in -sim- racers.

And what console sims do you currently play?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
thorns said:
Well the "lies" I was talking about...
You might as well stop right there if you've got to double quote the word lies... and here you were getting in everyone's face in an idealist fashion over what turns out to just be an arbitrary figure of speech...

Good move, trying to deflect discussion onto another topic of contention. I see some took the bait.

Jonnyram

davidbruy said:
Okay here's the facts:

PS2 includes online play, it's a hit.
The first fact is not a fact because the PS2 requires an add-on for online play, and it's not really a hit either. All we have are some high numbers for SOCOM and some good worldwide numbers for FFXI. But these numbers account for less than 5% of the PS2 installed base. Xbox, which is broadband only, has more Xbox Live accounts than that.

davidbruy said:

I don't get this logic at all. GT has never had online play before and it's still the best selling racing series ever.

"I guess gimmicky stuff like eye-toy support and b-spec mode was important though. "

GT's biggest market is Europe and one of the biggest genre's there are manager style titles. That's what B-Spec mode is. It's not a waste of time or a gimmick for them to add a proven genre to the title. It'd be like calling the F1 and rally modes they have gimmicks.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
*sighs*

I sobbed hearing this news. I want my GT4 so much it really does hurt.

Edit: Wait...Japanese release date is still 2004. I'M HAPPY AGAIN! +1000000 for importing consoles. WOO!

Jonnyram

SolidSnakex said:
GT's biggest market is Europe and one of the biggest genre's there are manager style titles. That's what B-Spec mode is. It's not a waste of time or a gimmick for them to add a proven genre to the title. It'd be like calling the F1 and rally modes they have gimmicks.
Wow, talk about damage control. If Europe is the only region that cares about those features, why not keep them in the PAL version only? They always release the PAL version months later anyway, so that would actually give them a reasonable excuse. Why delay the US and JP versions (which are by no means an insignificant number of sales) just for some Euro-pandering?

Unison

The only way GT4 won't be a total smash hit is if Forza comes out first and stomps all over it, but that is highly unlikely.

Jonnyram said:
Why delay the US and JP versions (which are by no means an insignificant number of sales) just for some Euro-pandering?

I wasn't saying it was delayed because of the B-Spec mode. My point was simply that the B-Spec mode wasn't some gimmick that they just put into the game.

Progessive Scan is a must!

Now that other games like NFS:U have big sales and followings I wonder if GT4 is going to have the same sort of impact now as in the past?

good. Now they can go in and add a boost meter or something equivalent that will finally make the GT series fun. Sims are only fun the first 1-2 times round. Fool me once... fool me twice...

shpankey

not an idiot
Warm Machine said:
Progessive Scan is a must!

Now that other games like NFS:U have big sales and followings I wonder if GT4 is going to have the same sort of impact now as in the past?

i believe progressive scan is not in GT4, or at least the last time i heard it was taken out. did they add it back in or something?

Gek54

Jonnyram said:
Wow, talk about damage control. If Europe is the only region that cares about those features, why not keep them in the PAL version only? They always release the PAL version months later anyway, so that would actually give them a reasonable excuse. Why delay the US and JP versions (which are by no means an insignificant number of sales) just for some Euro-pandering?

Same logic would have left rally out of US GT2 since most rally games were huge in Europe and minimal everwhere else.

Gek54

TheGreenGiant said:
good. Now they can go in and add a boost meter or something equivalent that will finally make the GT series fun. Sims are only fun the first 1-2 times round. Fool me once... fool me twice...

There is a boost meter in GT4 Prologue, I doubt they would take it out.

thorns

Banned
Even a small independent company like Codemasters with 1/10th the resources of polyphony can get online play working flawlessly. There are tons of online racing games on PC and Xbox that work very well. Polyphony has the biggest resources of any sim developer and have been working on this game since 3 years or so. There is simply no excuse for their incompetency.

Seriously does anybody care about the b-spec mode? Nobody wants to watch AI cars drive by themselves.

About the AI, Toca 2 and PGR2 do not have rubberband AI at all (the kind of AI that magically keeps up with you however fast you go). I'm looking forward to see what kind of AI forza comes up with. There haven't been many racing games where the AI doesn't totally suck (thus the requirement for online play).

And I do consider pimping the online mode as being a central feature and then ditching it the last minute, and then holding a huge party that the game is finished and delaying it again as lies.

Gek54

I would want to play b-spec mode after a grueling endurance race. Being able to sit back, pop a cold brew and act as a pit boss as I watch one of the best looking racing games ever created. Mmmm.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
thorns said:
Even a small independent company like Codemasters with 1/10th the resources of polyphony can get online play working flawlessly. There are tons of online racing games on PC and Xbox that work very well. Polyphony has the biggest resources of any sim developer and have been working on this game since 3 years or so. There is simply no excuse for their incompetency.
You're right - there's no reason why they shouldn't have the capability and resources to at least pull off what smaller devs have managed to do with online racing. So why assume its incompetency that's the problem then? Maybe they weren't aiming to simply do what's already been done with online racing, maybe they have significantly more ambitious plans for the GT online component. Or maybe it was a bureaucratic decision that was out of Polyphony's hands.

And I do consider pimping the online mode as being a central feature and then ditching it the last minute, and then holding a huge party that the game is finished and delaying it again as lies.
5 yr olds are better at distinguishing the difference between a broken promise and a lie than you are, thorns. You haven't established the intent to mislead which is crucial to calling something a lie. In the meantime you are just jumping to conclusions.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
thorns said:
Seriously does anybody care about the b-spec mode? Nobody wants to watch AI cars drive by themselves.

Yes because that's all that happens you simply sit there and watch the cars drive.. there is no interaction at all.... yeah manager modes aren't popular in sports games either....

Online mode was pimped as the central feature? Link? We never even heard any details of what online mode would provide..... so how could it have been pimped as the central feature?

Ranger X

thorns said:

About the AI, Toca 2 and PGR2 do not have rubberband AI at all (the kind of AI that magically keeps up with you however fast you go). I'm looking forward to see what kind of AI forza comes up with. There haven't been many racing games where the AI doesn't totally suck (thus the requirement for online play).

My god, you read my mind. Polyphony is the king of "not knowing where and how to cut corners when develloping a game". Just taking more time for a photo mode and a B-spec mode over an online mode is retarded. B-spec and Photo Mode are cool pluses but online mode is a must.

Oh and please re-read what i darkened in the quote again. Re-read again. Another time please. Again because it's never enough. Ok now you can go to the next post but re-read the darkened text here each day until you don't agree completely. tks.

Gek54

I am sure B-spec mode comes controls they used to develop the AI. Like they just turned their AI development tools into a user friendly interface and created a simple manager mode out of it. I really doubt it took much time at all.

Photo mode too, really how much time could that possibly take?

Top Bottom